Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I predict them wasting a lot of time and money on modernish graphics that look worse than Daggerfall sprites.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
They should go for good style instead of good graphics. Unique graphics on one-two levels above Daggerfall Unity's would make this project doable, without sacrifices in scope, complexity and depth. Some combination of well put Kickstart campaign + decent publisher later on and I can totally see them making it. We'll see, we will see ...

Ranarama

Learned
It's like how people reacted with the The Outer Worlds. Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky weren't going to revive the industry because of their knowledge in the craft - and certainly not because they were two of the seven pioneers in pre-Black Isle that assisted in making a classic. People think they can just lump veterans together and magic will automatically appear..

I think for every big name like Tim Schaffer, Peter Molyneux et. al. there's some Project Manager/Producer type person brutally editing things and keeping them on track. It's like when George Lucas lost the best editor in the industry.

If you don't have the excellent support people that made these names popular in the first place you just get unadulterated garbage.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Language to decipher

image0.png

Max Heap

Arcane
Strange...they mirrored the language from the original artwork.

Perhaps they wanted the language to be more exotic and made it read right to left at first, but then reconsidered...

Linguistic decline confirmed! :argh:

It's probably english or some sort of pig latin. There are pretty much 26 letters, not counting some minor exceptions involving dots over other symbols

grimace

Arcane
runic_hearthofbrit.jpg

"Despite being refered to as 'the Runic Language', Runic is merely a Cypher of the English alphabet, the primary language of New Britannia in fact being English."

In Lord British games the language on display is merely a cypher of the English letters.

Are we looking at another cypher as a design element for a fantasy role playing game?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They will release it -when it's ready-, they have no pressure so Julian can take all the time he wants.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Even if Ted is there, it means nothing if the aforementioned qualities aren't present.

They have the original Bethesda team

Julian Lefay
Ted Peterson
Vijay Lakshman
Eric Heberling
Don Nalezyty

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No, almost every single game that is considered a "masterpiece" is a product of circumstance. Timing, ambition, aggregated talent with unique skill-sets followed by congruence in relying on each other for their expertise, mostly great workplace morale and strong mettle to see things through to the end.

bw5H4ku.jpg

DOS

Novice
They will release it -when it's ready-, they have no pressure so Julian can take all the time he wants.

That's what bothers me. Having no pressure whatsoever can lead to mulling over particulars that could create accumulative divergence from the overall vision of the game.

They have the original Bethesda team

Julian Lefay
Ted Peterson
Vijay Lakshman
Eric Heberling
Don Nalezyty

Bruce Nesmith
Christopher Weaver

Vijay doesn't have shit on Chris when comparing their portfolios, so I don't have as much faith in his abilities to captain a ship when sailing through rough seas the likes of Daggerfall (let alone anything claimed BEYOND those extremities).

It's still talk. More walking to be done for me to take anything Ted is saying seriously. As I said, those elements I mentioned are products of circumstance that are very hard to replicate again. Accruing all these old veterans isn't the product of success; all the finer nuances of socialized productivity is. I have doubts they can replicate the type of productive energy that took place with Daggerfall. The art direction, typeface, name of the studio and game alone accedes to my suspicions of doubt. They're too old.

I'd rather Lefay live out his ultimate dream as a professor at a university where he can train some young blood and lead them in the right direction to create a new generation of talent that could turn the state of this industry around. Always relying on the old cats to save it is just trying to resuscitate a long-rotting corpse.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
That's what bothers me. Having no pressure whatsoever can lead to mulling over particulars that could create accumulative divergence from the overall vision of the game.

It's yet to be seen

Bruce Nesmith
Christopher Weaver

Nesmith was not there at Arena and Weaver was the CO, so I don't think he was calling the shots how the game is made.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Unlike other scam kickstarters, they are making the game first and asking for money once it's done and not other way around.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You know Julian is the real deal when he got a massive server in his bedroom and a math equation on his t-shirt.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I didn't have time to fuck around on a forum because I was too busy playing every worthwhile RPG. Now that I've finished that I'm ready to discuss them so I've come here; the best place on the internet to discuss rpgs. The only reason my account is new is because I was getting proper experience while you guys were jerking each other off with the tiny amount of RPGs you have under your belt. Don't mistake me for some plump soft cheeked child because it says 2020 on my profile. I have much more experience and much better opinions than you could possibly have until you've experienced all the games I have. You guys may have experience taking but shit in the forums but I have experience where it counts, and all that counts is the rpg experience. If you want to shit talk go ahead but call me when you guys want to have some real, well informed rpg discussions. I am Ontopoly. Player of the realms of rpgs. Master of swords and spells. Manipulator of .Ini files. Devourer of antagonists. Champion of the great halls of achievements. The sword coast knows me as bhaal spawn. The people of Arcanum know me as the living one. I am known in morrowind as the Nerevarine. And there are more titles. Titles that you do not even know. Titles that if uttered aloud would tear the minds of casuals such as yourselves apart.

If I had known we have such an illustrious member on our little site, I would have learned how to bow, alas, all I can offer is a hearty

:happytrollboy:

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The music at the end is friggin fire..... this game will blow away every other RPG to date, mark my words, all my money on OLG stocks !!!

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Promises, promises, ideas and theories.

I really want this project to succeed and bring more Incline.
But I can't shake the feeling that we've all seen this before (like this one).

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Promises, promises, ideas and theories.

I really want this project to succeed and bring more Inlcine.
But I can't shake the feeling that we've all seen this before (like this one).

Time will tell.

The greatest incline of our times cometh, brace yourselves, nothing can stop this train now

maxresdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom