Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3 remake)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully class paths are actually balanced this time around. In the original one or two of the four was far and away better than the others for most characters. Also hope they're less opaque about what the hell they actually do.
A functioning luck stat and working critical hits should at least make Hawks Light classes much better - especially the wanderer who had all the makings for being a great physical unit focused on crits while also having great support skills but was shafted by the bugs. Duran's knight path will also probably heavily benefit from having working shields.
I think that they have removed the luck stat in this game.

Ent

Savant
The stats on the new character select screen shows Attack, Defense, Magic Attack, Magic Defense and Luck.

Alex

Arcane
Seiken Densetsu 3 was rushed and broken in all sorts of ways getting an actual remake of it is probably pretty welcome in place of some HD port.

I dunno about that, but I found the way combat worked was really clunky and not nearly as fun as the first (well, second) game. The attacks seemed to somehow home in as long as the enemy was nearby, making dodging and positioning really weird.

Hassar

Scholar
I think 2 (Secret of Mana) is probably more fun because of all the different weapons and the great music that keeps it really catchy all the way through. But I still hold this one in high regard.
Music was way better, weapon variety was more fun, but the attack charging system drew out battles too much / weren't really worth it, especially if the enemy cast magic. You were a sitting duck slowly creepin' while you watched a bar fill. SD3's revamped combat system was incredible, though its implementation did favor Kevin and Hawk's dual attack a bit too much. The latter wasn't a problem since he wasn't that strong physically, but Kevin (esp at night) was obscene. Particularly in those few areas that were perma-night, which put him in wolf form for the whole dungeon.

The thing about the weapon charge system that I liked it that it made sense: a fast slash should take much less time time than really finding your balance, analyzing the enemy weak spot(s), and then readying your muscles for a big effort. It was one of the few combat systems that actually made attacking have weight whereas it is usually magic that causes a dela with the delay growing with the strength of the spell. By the end of most FF games, alternative strategies and magic become meaningless when the basic attack does 9999 (now 9999999+) with a single button press. Why pay x amount of limited mp resource when there is such a lopsided favoritism for pressing attack? I kind of liked that charging sound as the SD2 characters move around.

I think you see the extreme side of how wonky the combat system is in the current games. They are like anime with no weight unless someone uses magic (usually shown as weak compared to a sword) when there is time and energy devoted to showing the casting just to have a little fireball shoot out.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks great!
And look at that Flammie. He is asking to be molested!

Trials-of-Mana_2019_11-13-19_004.jpg

"Come on, Jas. Touch my thicc fluffy tail. You know you want to!"

:shredder:

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
The Hawkeye & Lise promotional art looks great:

e69R9Zp.jpg

All it's missing is Angela and my SD3 party would've been assembled.

Ent

Savant
Yea the class change bit was a little concerning but it looks like its locked to rare and limited items. Its good to know that the classes and stats are getting rebalanced.

deuxhero

Arcane
The non-magic skills that cost MP should be a boon for anyone that isn't Angela or Charlotte, and should benefit even them in the early game.

Ent

Savant
I remember how boring an all male team was until you finally got to change classes a third of the way into the game. I'm hoping the skill system will be robust enough to allow for wacky off-builds for characters.

Hyperion

Arcane
I always felt pigeon-holed into using Carlie because nobody else got multi-target Heal. Throw in multi-target Holy Ball, Saint Saber, and the Esuna spell, and she was indispensable. Maybe now I can have AoE heals, and still bring Angela and Riesz for top-tier waifu accompaniment.

Hopefully Paladuran still gets shields, and Kevin is tuned down just a little bit.

Fingers crossed for best of all worlds.

Ent

Savant
Pretty sure Lord Duran had multi-target heal light but I never really went down the light paths with him because of the underwhelming spell list, techs and bugged shields. I'm looking back at the spell lists now and Light Duran along with Dark Kevin really got the shaft.

Machocruz

Arcane
I think combat in this new version can only be an upgrade. Games, especially in Japan, have come a long way in producing satisfying melee feedback, movement, and animation since the SFC days. That was my problem with the combat in the original, having played it no sooner than 10 years ago. Just felt mushy, low impact. I'm sure at the time of release it was great, but this new version could rival the modern Ys games.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Pretty sure Lord Duran had multi-target heal light but I never really went down the light paths with him because of the underwhelming spell list, techs and bugged shields. I'm looking back at the spell lists now and Light Duran along with Dark Kevin really got the shaft.

Yeah Duran gets group heals in his last class when it's too late to really matter, and its his only rank 3 class without a group tech attack. So pretty lame.

It does bother me that the best healer is the worst character by far. Stupid lolis.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just found out about this remake and I'm pretty hyped for it. It was my favorite game in the series despite all of the bugs. I can't wait to play through it again with the new graphics and combat which both look pretty damn good. The lack of multiplayer sucks really bad though. I would love to play through it with two friends. Other than that if I could wish for anything to be in the game it would be to add this remix of Meridian Dance somewhere:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I was going to bitch about this, but I can't. This actually looks like a damn good remake...

:shredder:

Just don't fuck up the music!

Ent

Savant
Sad but expected from Square enix. If its anything like Octopath traveler they will remove it a year down the line.

Vorark

Erudite
Octopath is an outlier, isn't it? FFXV, Nier and DQXI are still saddled with crapware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom