Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Murk

Arcane
OS2 had a big missed opportunity regarding the premise of the main quest, IMO. Putting aside the 7->Gods->Source->Sourceking shit, I mean the premise that you're put into. Demonic aliens are invading, the setting is at the brink of an apocalyptic setting, and things have gotten so bad they're forced into a quarantine scenario where they have to enslave sourcerers on a last ditch effort to stop the invasion. The person who orders it, the child of a literal god-ascendant, is also part of the quarantine. It's a good setup.

But then it kind of meanders and falls apart and you're basically just fighting it out. Though I do appreciate the highlanderesque "there can be only one" ending.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Then 5 minutes after seeing her husband mutilated jaheira wants to have sex with you.
You're being deliberately facetious here, and misinterpreting what I'm getting at. We both know it takes a while longer for that sequence of events to trigger, and only really if the player goes down that path.

It's actually not just a question of length, it's pretty much ironically the reverse of the actual issue with that romance being that like all the compaions Jaheira shows the signs of preBioAngstEra and so you have a lengthy line of banters where she moans about Khalid and how life is hard and is Very Angry About Stuff. So ol'e Rusty the DivApologist here isn't just using hyperbole, he is pretty much just wrong in as about as many ways as he can be.
If we isolate only her dialogue, it takes her 6 minutes and 46 seconds to start talking about forgetting Khalid.

if we determine the length of my majestic cock measuring only the tip it doesn’t extend further than 14 inches, but then we would be neglecting the size of my massive shaft wouldn’t we

Presumably the time between banters isn’t 0 unless you’re a filthy cheat who can’t wait to get into Jaheira’s grove

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
I'm self admittedly butt hurt about this game.
You haven't really explained why beyond "RTwP! waaaaaa!", though.
Exactly, Ontopoly, why do YOU hate Baldur's Gate 3?
I've barely even brought up rtwp. I've brought up that they treat us like second class citizens and that their old games suck and that they aren't deserving to make a sequel to a game that doesn't resemble it at all way more than rtwp. Wotc and Larian should be ashamed of themselves for defiling the BG grave. Let it rest for the rest of time.
You know that even after the release of BG3 we can still play BG1 and BG2, right? Nobody is stopping us.
For a long time we haven't got the chance to play any well developed D&D game, what was the last decent D&D game? For me it's NWN2, so it's 14 years that I am waiting for my D&D fix. Now I can play another D&D game and I am happy, I don't care about the name. BG1 and 2 will still remain the games that they are, even if BG3 is different, even if BG3 is pure disgusting shit. It's not "BG3" because it's a direct sequel, it's "BG3" because it's a major D&D game, that's it. We need to accept this and move on, but accepting that a game from 2000 isn't getting a proper sequel shouldn't be so difficult, the bhaalspawn plot has already reached its end, we don't need anything more. They are using the name to attract more people, who the fuck cares. This is the only BG3 we can possibly get: if it's not this, it's nothing. It's a name, fuck it.

They are not making a sequel, they are making a D&D game that's faithful to system, so WotC is making them use their most prestigious name. For all we know, maybe Larian just wanted to make a D&D game and WotC was willing to give them the rights to do so only if the game used this fucking name. It's exactly what happened with The Black Hound: it had nothing to do with BG, but the name had to be Baldur's Gate: Fuck Me.

Second class citizens? Jesus Christ, are you sexually aroused by RTwP games? They are making a TB game using an old IP, they are not retiring all the BG copies that were ever sold in order to resell BG1 & 2 as TB games.

Their old games suck? Yeah, probably. I just know that I hate them, but I am willing to give myself a little hope for BG3.
As I read it I actually realized how much I would really love to see "Baldur's Gate 2" part retroactively dropped from Shadows of Amn (and ToB) and BG3 being named BG2.
Would make sense too, with BG1 and 2 involving Baldur's Gate, the city, and SoA/ToB not.

Make it so.
:avatard:<--- illuminated by all the butthurt reaching blue heat levels

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
image.png
I just realized Jaheira is wearing metal armor in her portrait
:what:

she’s an IE fighter/druid you fucking pleb

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
No publisher wanted to even take a risk on DOS1, they just wanted more of the same action garbage. Swen basically gambled his entire company on telling publishers to go fuck themselves and appealed directly to the actual audience.

He sure did, and then he turned around and sold people like me out in favor of the casual, console audience starting with Decline Edition.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
So BG3 is not popamole action game ? Most of you were convinced its gonna be one :lol:
I starting suspect that people who right now shitting on BG3 actually wanted an action game and all hatred comes from their degenerative desire of popamole action fantasy game.

I can understand people who find writing in Larian games far from ideal (everyone has their tastes + there games with better writing), but people who shitting on Larian writing and then praise Bioware's writing?
I would call these people retarded, but calling them retarded is more compliment than insult at this point. Plus actual retarded people don't deserve being compared to these monsters, after all retards are humans too.

I still in disbelief that anyone would look at companion portraits in BG1&2 and say "Yeah, this game with serious plot" while they almost all looks like hippies on drugs.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
You can't even call human, the classification of troglodyte that plays games for gay shit like "writing".
Only way to play is RTFM and then hard skip all dialogue in games. Words pop up on screen, immediately get rid of them. Take your english degree and get a job at starbucks, gameplay is the sole reason to play video games and every other facet is subservient to giving the gameplay context.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It’s not that BioWare writing is great you bloody moron it’s that a villain like Irenicus is at least functional and seldom cringeworthy while DivOS would probably be better off with no writing at all. It’s like a contest of special olympics where everyone is in a wheelchair but halfway through a contestant realizes he can crawl faster than the others can... shit what’s the verb here, wheel?

the BGs had a functional story and adventures that made you feel like you was back in that teen cave rollin’ dice forgetting about your beta nerd life. Shit’s not rocket science but it worked. DivOS has writing that make you feel like you turned on a second rate cartoon written by foreigners making it the uncanny valley version of your weird Uncle Luke’s creepy humor. Then in no. 2 it’s the same but it also takes itself serious and then you really start to question your life choices

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Wait, Grunker. You're telling me that a character in D&D named "Jon Irenicus" (who is bald and a super genius and has a torture dungeon) whose entire motivation is due to butthurt over his mother is NOT cringeworthy?

Okay....

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah man, because it’s like written and acted decently and stuff

also didn’t say never said seldom which I believe is you americans way of saying rarely

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Akshually, fighter/druids can wear all types of armor.

she’s a fighter/druid you fucking pleb
…because BG/2 paid zero attention to its source material.
"Multi-class druids must abide by the weapon, shield, and armor restrictions of their branches."
— The Complete Druid's Handbook

you fucking plebs
"Fighter-druid is a druid that doesn't really care about this druid thing beyond the talk"
— Bardul's Gate Series

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I think I see your point, Grunker. You're saying that badly written canon, even if established over a 30-year period, deserves to be "creatively licensed" or even shat upon because it's.. shitty. Fine, we get it.

But why does Larian suddenly have the rights to do that? What, besides their deep pockets, gives them the green light to take what appears to be a sharp left when WotC otherwise puts the hard kibosh on? Doesn't it make you wonder?

Do whatever you want to with your own milieu, Swen. No one can stop you. But even if Forgotten Realms is sophomoric, saccharin-sweet soupy shit, don't start trying to change its recipe just because you had a weird fantasy in the sauna about super tadpoles and githyanki bondage.

Sincerely,

- Goofy D&D nerds worldwide

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Crispy I think you’re mistaking me for someone who cares deeply about forgotten realms or bg lore which is weird since I spent the last 15 pages taking the piss out of someone who does. I’m just saying that BG writing was kind of whatever it works I guess while Divinity writing was like a cartoon written by a 13-year-old kid with English as his 13th language

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It’s sorta the same with FR I guess. I like using FR for P&P because everybody knows what’s up and we can get on with our day and it works and no one gets mad if I change the tadpole lore. It has a bunch of that oldschool D&D kitsch vibed stuff that you gotta love and those lore boxes from second edition are actually pretty fucking cool as inspiration material I really must admit

Whereas I wouldn’t even begin to know why anyone would find anything about whatever Larian’s world is called compelling in the slightest

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The fact Larain can't stop with their shitty attempts at humor even when working on a new (for them) IP just reinforces the notion that BG3 will just be a D:OS2 reskin.

Shitty attempts at humor in the series about motherfucking minsc and his ass hamster?

Hm.

I mean I know I made the same joke two pages ago but I guess the difference is the hamster and aloe vera balm stuff is sprinkles at least in no. 2 whereas in DivOS it’s basically the cake? I dunno man DivOS2 is such a fucking weird game, it’s like if someone wrote a bad episode of too-goofy-for-school Scooby Doo and then decided a dose of post-apocalyptic Game of Thrones would fit right in

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
More than 20 years later and people still remember quote about elven arse. I can't remember a single line of dialogue from any DOS.

no wait, the one about cheeses, but they patched it out I think.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
More than 20 years later and people still remember quote about elven arse. I can't remember a single line of dialogue from any DOS.

not wait, the one about cheeses, but they patched it out I think.

you’re an old groggy grognard bastard but then you go and nail shit like this and I gotta love you all the same

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Daily Participation in this Historic Event that is Beldur Gate 3 rpg codex thread

Do I get some kind of fucking credits to buy booster packs over here
You gotta get filthy with the nerds about whether BioAngst or LarianLooney is your brand of shit to get credits mate

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom