Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal, Previews and Interviews

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Also, for those here who don't actually know P&P, yes, giant space hamster are in the Spelljammer setting, so I'm guessing we'll get to see Boo's family. It's going to be lit.

1423089071127.jpg

Tyrannohamsterus Rex, Wooly Rupert, I hope it's all there. This is what Sawyer envisioned when he set out to make BG3.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Looks like I get to spend my money on something else. I might be in the minority, but I wanted a Baldur's Gate, not a Divinity Original Sin. I wasn't very interested nor excited about Baldur's Gate 3 from the start, I guess my cynicism proved right this time. I should be used to it by now, with games like Fallout 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, etc.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Looking at the prices of DOS1-2 i bet this game will cap out close to a Uncle Ben and maybe more.

When it comes to UI - 100% agree. Though I doubt they will strain far when it comes to many mechanics.
I mean, basically all the work they need to do to make that distinction more clear is in terms of UI and aesthetic.

Mechanically D&D 5th edition is already going to be significantly different from the shitty ruleset Larian made up for D:OS 1 and 2.
Different spells, different skills, different rules of engagement, significantly different power curve and implicitly different itemization (even if I still have faith in Larian's ability to fuck it up to some extent, somehow).

Then again, if the point is just going to be even more bitching because it's turn-base: just give it a rest, people. THAT is not something they are going to change.
And I'm glad of it.

Tytus

Arcane
When it comes to UI - 100% agree. Though I doubt they will strain far when it comes to many mechanics.
I mean, basically all the work they need to do to make that distinction more clear is in terms of UI and aesthetic.

Mechanically D&D 5th edition is already going to be significantly different from the shitty ruleset Larian made up for D:OS 1 and 2.
Different spells, different skills, different rules of engagement, significantly different power curve and implicitly different itemization (even if I still have faith in Larian's ability to fuck it up to some extent, somehow).

Then again, if the point is just going to be even more bitching because it's turn-base: just give it a rest, people. THAT is not something they are going to change.
And I'm glad of it.

Ehh, not really.

For example the 4 character party system, multiplayer and joining and rejoining battle mechanic taken directly from DivOS 2 won't change.
The companion/main character system when you play as on of them with actual plot or a bland blank slate won't change either.
Not to mention the stacking and moving things around from OS games will be there too etc. etc.

Thinking that magically D&D 5th edition rule set will magically make this game to not look like OS games is kinda naive. But I do agree that it will be better than anything Larian could come up with.

Ehh, not really.

For example the 4 character party system, multiplayer and joining and rejoining battle mechanic taken directly from DivOS 2 won't change.
I mean, fair point about a 4 men party being a difference, even if it's still not necessarily the definitive solution according to what they said so far.
But how is the multiplayer mode of any relevance if you are playing it as a single player game, and what alternative would have been better anyway?

The companion/main character system when you play as on of them with actual plot or a bland blank slate won't change either.
...Ok? Why should it?

Not to mention the stacking and moving things around from OS games will be there too etc. etc.
Which is bad... Because?

The more I’m thinking about it while watching reactions, the more absurd it becomes.

I swear I would have never imagined that after 20 years of suffering the exact opposite trend it would come the day I’d have to witness alleged RPG fans like me bitching and moaning because a revived franchise is becoming too hardcore and adherent to the original source.

Tytus

Arcane
Which is bad... Because?

Where did I say it was bad? I only said that it isn't going to change and this system was very prominent in OS1 and OS2 giving it its unique flavour. When adding it to BG3 you also transfer that style of OS onto it. That's it. No value judgement here.

I mean, fair point about a 4 men party being a difference, even if it's still not necessarily the definitive solution according to what they said so far.

Hope not. Steam page says otherwise.

But how is the multiplayer mode of any relevance if you are playing it as a single player game, and what alternative would have been better anyway?

Because their multiplayer portion affects the design of the single player section. It is not a separate mode. For example. In multiplayer you basically can split up do different quests/fights and group up later. Just like in OS games. And that is why many quests will be designed with splitting the party in mind. Going solo with one character while others do jack shit. We already saw that in the presentation. When the entire trap/puzzle room was basically designed around one character sneaking around and building platforms to avoid grease. It is very immersion breaking when other characters are basically stuck in a limbo while you split the party. I wish there was a system when you send them out to do something at least - like I dunno gather resources, build camp while you do stuff. Anything.

...Ok? Why should it?

Are you moving the goal post here or something? Or are you having a completely different discussion? We were talking that BG3 is going to feel very much like OS2 and I put out the argument that changing UI and aesthetics isn't enough to differentiate it from OS games because it will still feel like them though major mechanics and design choices. Nowhere in my post I said it this feature should be changed. But this origin/playing as of one the companions thing was a flagship feature of OS2 and no UI changes will make OS2's identity vanish from BG3.

I swear I would have never imagined that after 20 years of suffering the exact opposite trend it would come the day I’d have to witness alleged RPG fans like me bitching and moaning because a revived franchise is becoming too hardcore and adherent to the original source.

I don't know if you were bunching me up with the alleged RPG fans - but note I'm argued for TB in the other thread.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I haven't followed this like a rabid fanatic devotee because I'm not one. I just wonder why the name continuity numbering. Obviously there won't be any transferring from BG2 to 3 (though that'd be some weird shit if such a mechanic ever came to be heralding old old days of character transfers. Baldur's Gate... ok ride the name but Toril is pretty damn big and there are other iconic places. I haven't purchased DOS so maybe ill look at gameplay footage reviews. Shit better wow the fuck out of me.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't followed this like a rabid fanatic devotee because I'm not one. I just wonder why the name continuity numbering. Obviously there won't be any transferring from BG2 to 3 (though that'd be some weird shit if such a mechanic ever came to be heralding old old days of character transfers. Baldur's Gate... ok ride the name but Toril is pretty damn big and there are other iconic places. I haven't purchased DOS so maybe ill look at gameplay footage reviews. Shit better wow the fuck out of me.
There are other iconic places, but Baldur's Gate is still the most nostalgia inducing one. I know at least ten people that haven't bought a single game over the last ten years (they didn't even care for the Pillars of Eternity) and will buy this game on day one only because it's called "Baldur's Gate".

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lordy... sometimes a game can be crap (pirates of realmspace, descent to undermountain...).

OH SJ: POR, how I tried to love you but you just fucked up repeatedly (and had shitty boarding combat).

Last edited:
In this interview they are claiming that the game will have no day/night cycle at all.

https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3-pax-east-interview-listening-to-fan-feedback-adding-raytracing/

Honestly this is the first thing I'm genuinely pissed about. I don't even want to hear the justifications about how it's a costly feature.

They are blowing basically unlimited budget on this goddamn production, I'm sure they could have spared a percentage of the budget to account for that.
It would also be a long term investment, as they'd be able to recycle the tech (variable lighting, time passing, scheduling, etc) for each of their subsequent titles, in some form.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
They're blowing basically unlimited budget on this production and not including RTwP mode which is pinnacle of this game.
Day-night cycle is the least of the issue here.

They're blowing basically unlimited budget on this production and not including RTwP mode which is pinnacle of this game.
Day-night cycle is the least of the issue here.
No, you got it wrong.
Turn-based is a fucking improvement, while no day/night cycle has large implications of the world building and setting.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Turn-based is a fucking improvement, while no day/night cycle has large implications of the world building and setting.

NO. No and No. No. Can't stomach TB and the name BG3 together.
You lost. Baldur's Gate 3, third in the trilogy of the officially recognized series, will never EVER have the decline of rtwp and will forever be turn-based. You lost.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't say I've tried real time without pause. If you don't use pause is the game like some RTS using commands you've given or do you just stand around like a pincushion? Dungeon Siege has no pause but you can at least set up formation and basic preset command for readied spell/item. Is without basically like goldbox quick combat but all simultaneous? Is it like diablo or MIGHT & MAGIC 6+?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It would also be a long term investment, as they'd be able to recycle the tech (variable lighting, time passing, scheduling, etc) for each of their subsequent titles, in some form.

D:OS does support day/night cycles, SniperHF's mod has one. The problem is the amount of work involved that they don't want to do.

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Hm. Looks like DOS 2.5 or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom