Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Monkey Tavern - baby's first Grimrock

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I was in contact with GoG and they were interested, I was very proud because they are exactly how I see games, No DRM (the game don t have one on Steam), a selection from a known team, back to the old good days, etc...
I even delayed my game to let them the time to test it, and after two weeks waiting they don t answer to my mail asking for status... so... I won t be able to work with them :-(

I know there are other places to sell games, do you have one in mind that would suit better how you see things?

You could try the Humble Widget - though I saw you already have an itch.io widget, so it's probably not needed anymore.

DemonKing

Arcane
Got back from holidays yesterday and finished this off.

There's not much to it but then it doesn't outstay its welcome either. It's missing some of the complexities of Grimrock (pressure pads, pits, teleporters etc) but then again you can manage the puzzles without running to a guide. The combat is not the dance of Grimrock - it reminded me a bit of M&MX - which is a nice point of difference from its big brother.

Overall if you're a fan of the genre then you could do worse than pick this up. It's a pity there's no in game explanation of what all the various character powers and abilities do!

Andhaira

Arcane
Started this recently; games kind of barebones but still fun. The lack of a map irks me; don't have time or desire anymore to use a physical notepad while playing.

The lack of dancing around in combat is a huge relief; that was what really sunk Grimrock.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Great name! Has inconsistent art (unavoidable with stock art assets). Shows obvious signs of needing polish ~which is a tell for also needing polish in other areas.

Way to state the obvious detective. The game's a year from release.
Did you read the thread?
*More to the point, did you read the dates listed, and the date on my post ~before commenting?

My post: Sep 21, 2016
Release of the game: Release Date: Sep 22, 2016

There are comments on this very page that mention buying the game and finishing it.

Curratum

Bought over the weekend, finished in 5 hours. 8 levels in total, the twist that sets it apart from Grimrock is that once you engage at melee range / adjacent squares, you're penalized for stepping away and everyone takes "fleeing" damage (think auto-hit attack of opportunity).

The levels are very decent, the puzzles are ok. I've played every single grid blobber on Steam and this is probably the best Grimrock clone on there. Definitely buy on sale as it's a short game, but again, it's ok even if it's unpretentious.

Nyast

Cipher
Is this game good?

Will I have fun if I loved LoL but didn't like LoG?

Probably not.

Bought over the weekend, finished in 5 hours. 8 levels in total, the twist that sets it apart from Grimrock is that once you engage at melee range / adjacent squares, you're penalized for stepping away and everyone takes "fleeing" damage (think auto-hit attack of opportunity).

The levels are very decent, the puzzles are ok. I've played every single grid blobber on Steam and this is probably the best Grimrock clone on there. Definitely buy on sale as it's a short game, but again, it's ok even if it's unpretentious.

I play all grid-based dungeon crawlers too. Check out Vaporum and Dungeon Kingdom if you haven't done so yet, they're really good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played every single grid blobber on Steam and this is probably the best Grimrock clone on there.

I think it was Unkillable Cat who said that Vaporum is the best modern real-time blobber/Grimrock clone after the Grimrock series itself (albeit a distant third).

Curratum

Vaporum and Dungeon Kingdom if you haven't done so yet, they're really good.

Vaporum is not a party-blobber, which turns me off, the setting is not medieval fantasy too.

Dungeon Kingdom is early access, has been for FIVE FUCKING YEARS NOW and will never get finished, therefore it can fuck right off.

V_K

Arcane
Dungeon Kingdom is early access, has been for FIVE FUCKING YEARS NOW and will never get finished
No, they are actually developing it, just very slowly. They released another chapter in August and my understanding is that it's only the endgame left plus some testing and rebalancing. So a 2021-22 release seems likely.

Curratum

I'm desperate for a real-time gridded blobber to play, which is why I bought Monkey Tavern.

I tried playing highly rated Grimrock mods but they're either too small or too shit, I've already achieved peak user-generated content performance with my own mod but I haven't forgotten it enough since release to enjoy playing it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
No I did not rip anything, I bought most of my stuff from the asset store or from other 3d model store.
Then maybe change the environment textures a bit : too samey, too greyish and too grimrocky.
You could at least tint them, not every type of stone is light grey. I mean, look at EotB :

eye-of-the-beholder_11.gif

start1_223.png

I mean, you don't have to make it that saturated, but see what it could look like in your engine :

eob-remake-hd-002.jpg
That bottom pic made me ponder how many blobbers are like Dungeon Master Nexus, Slayer, ir Death Keep ie "free-roaming" instead of tile based 90 degree turn/movement.

V_K

Arcane
I'm desperate for a real-time gridded blobber to play, which is why I bought Monkey Tavern.
Have you tried some of the more obscure indie blobbers there? Hyaki Castle, Dungeon of Dragon Knight, Aeon of Sands? I'm not saying you should, haven't tried any of these either - except for Aeon of Sands - but I'm curious if someone did and can give an informed opinion.

Curratum

Have you tried some of the more obscure indie blobbers there? Hyaki Castle, Dungeon of Dragon Knight, Aeon of Sands? I'm not saying you should, haven't tried any of these either - except for Aeon of Sands - but I'm curious if someone did and can give an informed opinion.

Tried Dungeon of Dragon Knight last night, was terrible. Hyaki Castle and Aeon of Sands are different, I want as vanilla as possible, generic medieval fantasy.

Might give Aeon of Sands a try at some point, but not at that price.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

I loved the vaporum setting and narration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom