Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xzar

Augur
CODEX PRIDE...
But really vidia gay? Maybe journous and influential twatters personas maybe. And some devs, and cooomsumers, and codexers, writers, editors ....
:despair:
Still it's tiny minority, I hope.
Gays are different. Karl Lagerfeld was gay but did what he could to uphold high standards for bitches and kept fatties away from modeling his entire life. There's a lot of gays and bisexuals who want hot women in games.

Sent from my NX551J using Tapatalk

a cut of domestic sheep prime

back on topic:

the only thing I want to know about this game is more about the story and characters.

the writing is the biggest weakness in every Larian game, so if it's decently written, it should be equally decent. especially after what I've seen in the gameplay demo.

using featherfall to jump all around the map, climbing up buildings, throwing things - I'm really impressed by how far Larian went here as far as gameplay is concerned.

User0001

Savant
That's cute. You guys call your friends to fight your battles for you. Usually you just parrot what they say instead.
Haven't read the thread otherwise and I'm not going to get into an argument about it but consider the opposing viewpoint: that instead of movement being penalized in some way and requiring the 'mover' to pay in health, skill points or action points that the movement should be 'free' and that it should be up to the opponents, who want to hamper/stop the movement to spend their action economy to do so - e.g. using a disable/debuff.

I think this is the best method for real-time and turn based with split action and movement point pools and AoO is ok in turn-based where movement and non-movement action 'points' use the same action point pool, and in D&D technically they do.

Don't bother. Ontopoly will understand exactly nothing of what you just typed. You're talking to a guy that only as recently as two weeks ago thought that attack of opportunity is shortened to aoe.

The fact that aoes exist like that is nice though because it works both ways. Sometimes it's worth the risk to take the extra aoes to get rid of a mage.
- two weeks ago

Incomprehensible and utterly retarded response will nevertheless be incoming.
The attention is too sweet, and you're all here doing a disservice to his condition by feeding him.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Secondly, there's been around a dozen D&D 5E-centric tabletop Kickstarters that collected upwards of 1 million USD each, which equals about a quarter of your "total RPG market share" figure, which as you can see is complete bullshit.

We don't know the overlap in the backers for those 5 kickstarters

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope Prime Junta comes back soon because it's like ultra fierce that the game he (in a small way) helped ZAUM make is now responsible for influencing such a big rpg and I totally would love to see him react to this news!!!

Don't be jealous that ZAUM and Prime Junta took it mainstream sis.

Tides of Numenera did it first, and Colin and Gavin worked on both that and this so. :M

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
That's cute. You guys call your friends to fight your battles for you. Usually you just parrot what they say instead.
Haven't read the thread otherwise and I'm not going to get into an argument about it but consider the opposing viewpoint: that instead of movement being penalized in some way and requiring the 'mover' to pay in health, skill points or action points that the movement should be 'free' and that it should be up to the opponents, who want to hamper/stop the movement to spend their action economy to do so - e.g. using a disable/debuff.

I think this is the best method for real-time and turn based with split action and movement point pools and AoO is ok in turn-based where movement and non-movement action 'points' use the same action point pool, and in D&D technically they do.

Don't bother. Ontopoly will understand exactly nothing of what you just typed. You're talking to a guy that only as recently as two weeks ago thought that attack of opportunity is shortened to aoe.

The fact that aoes exist like that is nice though because it works both ways. Sometimes it's worth the risk to take the extra aoes to get rid of a mage.
- two weeks ago

Incomprehensible and utterly retarded response will nevertheless be incoming.
The attention is too sweet, and you're all here doing a disservice to his condition by feeding him.
Wait, I remember that conversation. That's the conversation where I made an innocent mistake; I misspelled an acronym. It's also the conversation where you went on a rant about how nobody even tried to understand you, cried, threatened to put me in your ignore list, then decided you were going to stalk my page and rate every single post I've made ever since as retarded. And people rate me as butthurt...

User0001

Savant
Wait, I remember that conversation. That's the conversation where I made an innocent mistake; I misspelled an acronym. It's also the conversation where you went on a rant about how nobody even tried to understand you, cried, threatened to put me in your ignore list, then decided you were going to stalk my page and rate every single post I've made ever since as retarded. And people rate me as butthurt...

Oookay then..

But there is also someone else in this thread trying to engage with you... more convenient to respond to my easy to understand shitpost then someone's sincere but slightly complex post, huh?

DraQ

Arcane

(Not specifically referring to DnD) split action and movement points with some actions taking both seems like reasonable solution for AP-based system.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

Fascinating. Close to 3/4 of the people answering have pronouns on their bios.

You may not like it, but this is what peak D&D fan looks like:

NpkTxpK.jpg

So a hobby consisting of slashing through monstrosities to earn gold & fame and ultimately rise above the average peasant -who proved too weak to do so-, has now been taken over by monstrosities who despise this very ambition in life (or usually do so). Ironic.

Curratum

So a hobby consisting of slashing through monstrosities to earn gold & fame and ultimately rise above the average peasant -who proved too weak to do so-, has now been taken over by monstrosities who despise this very ambition in life (or usually do so). Ironic.

This is largely why most people who know what D&D is about turned to retroclones and reimaginings of the older versions with some modern elements, i.e. Dungeon Crawl Classics, Swords & Wizardry, Black / White Hack, etc.

The current top brass that develops, markets and brands D&D believes that D&D is anything you want it to be. They are actively trying to peddle 5E as a system for character drama and pure storytelling - something that a dozen other rulesets do a lot better. It's this kind of "you're a wonderful snowflake, you can be anything you want to be, just make sure to pay money and use our system because we spent a lot on marketing" attitude that drives people to the retroclones, where the authors of the rules mostly know what the actual spirit of D&D is about.

weresheeple

Educated

Obviously, these people think that earning your riches through your own hard labour is acceptable but not if you only got rich by exploiting the work of your party members, regardless of the fact that the contract of the party states that they get to use your magical weapons and armour in exchange for a greater share of the loot.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
He didn't even dare add that Baldur's Gate has specifically RTwP combat - because, of course, Larian's "BG3" doesn't.
your opinion on anything is shit

It's not my opinion that Walgrave described Larian's D&D game as a successor to the BG series because "It's still a party-based game, you still need to do combat, you will recognise a lot of D&D rules". If all it takes to be a successor to another game is to have something as vague as "you stil need to do combat", then most games are successors to most previously-released games of any title. It would make more sense for Walgrave to have touted that their D&D RPG is a successor because it will have the same type of combat as the BG series. But, of course, he couldn't make that claim.
It's a successor because WotC is tired of releasing dumpsterfire video games so they licensed their IP to a breakout RPG company that recently developed a very well received/high selling RPG to make a game under the same brand as the last D&D game that wasn't shit.
So, it's not actually a successor at all, then. WotC simply hope that it will be a financial successor to DOS2.

Black

Arcane
WoTC hopes they'll finally establish a D&D video game after all these years, since Sword Coast Legends didn't go.

Codex Year of the Donut
He didn't even dare add that Baldur's Gate has specifically RTwP combat - because, of course, Larian's "BG3" doesn't.
your opinion on anything is shit

It's not my opinion that Walgrave described Larian's D&D game as a successor to the BG series because "It's still a party-based game, you still need to do combat, you will recognise a lot of D&D rules". If all it takes to be a successor to another game is to have something as vague as "you stil need to do combat", then most games are successors to most previously-released games of any title. It would make more sense for Walgrave to have touted that their D&D RPG is a successor because it will have the same type of combat as the BG series. But, of course, he couldn't make that claim.
It's a successor because WotC is tired of releasing dumpsterfire video games so they licensed their IP to a breakout RPG company that recently developed a very well received/high selling RPG to make a game under the same brand as the last D&D game that wasn't shit.
So, it's not actually a successor at all, then. WotC simply hope that it will be a financial successor to DOS2.
And for those of us that aren't autistic there's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Black

Arcane
And for those of us that aren't autistic there's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Correct. I think bethesda did the same with fallout. and all the cool non autists found that supercool.
Bethesda turned an isometric, turn-based rpg that tried to emulate p&p rpgs into a shitty shooter with meaningless rpg elements, not to mention the lore, themes etc.
Larian is turning an isometric rtwp rpg that pretended to follow AD&D rules into a turn-based rpg that more closely follows the rules of contemporary D&D, keeping the lore and themes.
If your analogy was correct, bethesda's fo3 would still be isometric, turn-based but using GURPS instead of SPECIAL, like Interplay wanted from the very beginning. And still with FO2's shitty writing.

Tytus

Arcane
RPGcodex, the forum where you can learn that BG 1 & 2 and Fallout 2 sucked.

Well, yeah!

The bottom point is people are butthurt because BG3 will be the first RPG in the genre and they don't like the change. All previous instalments were action games or action-rpg hybrids at best.

C7H60uU.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom