Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Mesa - legendary vaporware Half-Life remake finally out

JDR13

Arcane
That review was just posted 9 hours ago, so I assume they were given the release version.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
And none of those two matter to me. One is a shitty mod of a 22 years old game, the other one a niche tech-showcase.

Pretty much shows the current state of games industry if people get excited for these two.

Dexter

Arcane
the 1.0 update has been up for an hour or so
Yeah I just saw, a 3.46GB Update just hit. Gonna have to play this ahead of Alyx.
:bounce:

It still displays as Early Access though for some reason and they haven't even posted a News item or anything about it.

passerby

Arcane
Xen was ok and had cool moments and I liked platforming, that it dragged for a bit too long and became repetitive is the worst I can say about it.

Origin

Augur
Never liked Xen idea too much, even reimagining is not really drawing me to play it but I must admit that never in my wildest dreams I imagined they will pull off something like this. It looks absurdly good.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've been playing this for about an hour or so now. It's pretty damn good. Really nostalgic. The source engine sure is showing it's age though. Lots of random low res textures in places so far. Mostly signs and other things. Maybe they just couldn't think of what to write on some of the signs so they made them low res and illegible.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I really like the new Marine AI. They throw grenades at you, flank, lay down suppressive fire, heal their comrades. It's been a while since I last played the original HL but I vaguely remember the marines being able to do these. I hope more games incorporate this kind AI. I'm really tired of braindead AI.

The Black Mesa levels got a minor facelift in the latest update but they are really kind of dated, like something out of a 2009 game and not necessarily in a good way. I still like how games like Duke 3D and Blood look like but maybe it's because the level of detail is congruent with the pixelated graphics while most of the Earth levels in Black Mesa feel empty and dated, like a game from 2009. It's something I can't really explain why. Questionable Ethics is the best looking of the BMRF levels. Maybe the lighting has something to do with that.

Xen feels like a different game in comparison. They squeezed everything they could out of the poor engine.

JDR13

Arcane
I really like the new Marine AI. They throw grenades at you, flank, lay down suppressive fire, heal their comrades. It's been a while since I last played the original HL but I vaguely remember the marines being able to do these. I hope more games incorporate this kind AI. I'm really tired of braindead AI.

I never saw enemies healing each other in the original game. That's definitely an improvement if they do it in BM.

Gord

Arcane
Unfortunately they screwed up the linux version. Can't get it to run properly.
It's strange since other titles like L4D2 or the old HL episodes run fine for me on Linux.

Windows version runs fine, though.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
There was a consensus back in the day that while Xen was very different from the rest of the game that it wasnt on par with it in quality.

I can only remember jumping around with gravity (?) It has been a long time since i have played half-life single player.

if this isnt too expensive i might just buy it.

DraQ

Arcane

I never saw enemies healing each other in the original game. That's definitely an improvement if they do it in BM.
AI followers did that in Opposing Force, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom