Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
What does a day/night schedule add to a game that doesn't have detailed NPC schedules?

Stealth. Atmosphere. They could also even include some quests that would make a lot of sense to take place at night. Some events at night can feel a lot different than during the day.
so… nothing.
I think atmosphere is pretty important. Maybe Larian fan boys disagree since they're constantly being bombarded with dos games horrible atmosphere. I can understand why you would hate something if your favorite game does it so badly.
Maybe you should go play walking simulators instead, I'd prefer if Larian focuses on properly implementing the source material and designing combat encounters.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
You are being retarded for the sake of being retarded. It's not "too hard to understand", it's too chaotic and hectic to present the player with as meaningful challenges as a TB system could do. Since the player doesn't have precise control over the encounter, encounters need to be simpler and easier to deal with. That's it. Stop using arguments that exists only in your head. You can't argue with other people and decide what their arguments are.

Too Chaotic and hectic just sounds like you're having a hard time understand what's happening.

Codex Year of the Donut
You are being retarded for the sake of being retarded. It's not "too hard to understand", it's too chaotic and hectic to present the player with as meaningful challenges as a TB system could do. Since the player doesn't have precise control over the encounter, encounters need to be simpler and easier to deal with. That's it. Stop using arguments that exists only in your head. You can't argue with other people and decide what their arguments are.

Too Chaotic and hectic just sounds like you're having a hard time understand what's happening.
You mean a combat system designed for hundreds of units fighting is hard to understand when only a few are fighting?!
Wow.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What does a day/night schedule add to a game that doesn't have detailed NPC schedules?

Stealth. Atmosphere. They could also even include some quests that would make a lot of sense to take place at night. Some events at night can feel a lot different than during the day.
so… nothing.
I think atmosphere is pretty important. Maybe Larian fan boys disagree since they're constantly being bombarded with dos games horrible atmosphere. I can understand why you would hate something if your favorite game does it so badly.
Maybe you should go play walking simulators instead, I'd prefer if Larian focuses on properly implementing the source material and designing combat encounters.
Absolute decline, everybody knows the only important thing in an rpg is not getting cucked by aliens

Curratum

Can you fucking autists please stop? RTWP is good because when you watch Boromir and Aragorn defend the hobbits in Moria, the entire scene doesn't freeze so that Boromir can make his move, thwack an orc on the head and then freeze in turn.

Turd-based is for people who like numbers, not adventures, it's as simple as that.

Saravan

Savant
There's a reason why BG3 has been announed on only one platform other than PC: Stadia.
…Because the next-gen consoles aren't out yet.
Seemed pretty obvious to me that they'll be announced for console when those release, which is sometime later this year.

Maybe this is why they're casualizing the game so much. Because apparently these days console players want to participate in actual rpg games but they need something simple as a gateway to the real stuff.
rtwp was a casualization to attract the mainstream audience at the time you dumbshit
It was made rtwp to appeal to RTS players who were big at the time. Dumb shit. RTS is still played today almost exclusively competitively. If it's so casual why is every casual complaining about how its too hard to understand?

Why do you keep acting like RPG:s were ever difficult in any format? It's obvious you have never played competitive games on any high level because you actually believe RtwP is "complex" and/or "difficult".

Codex Year of the Donut
Can you fucking autists please stop? RTWP is good because when you watch Boromir and Aragorn defend the hobbits in Moria, the entire scene doesn't freeze so that Boromir can make his move, thwack an orc on the head and then freeze in turn.

Turd-based is for people who like numbers, not adventures, it's as simple as that.
ah yes, I distinctly remember that time the combat paused every 0.5s in lord of the rings so that the person controlling them could stop and think of what to do next

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
There's a reason why BG3 has been announed on only one platform other than PC: Stadia.
Seemed pretty obvious to me that they'll be announced for console when those release, which is sometime later this year.

Maybe this is why they're casualizing the game so much. Because apparently these days console players want to participate in actual rpg games but they need something simple as a gateway to the real stuff.
rtwp was a casualization to attract the mainstream audience at the time you dumbshit
It was made rtwp to appeal to RTS players who were big at the time. Dumb shit. RTS is still played today almost exclusively competitively. If it's so casual why is every casual complaining about how its too hard to understand?

Why do you keep acting like RPG:s were ever difficult in any format? It's obvious you have never played competitive games on any high level because you actually believe RtwP is "complex" and/or "difficult".
I like to play competitive aoe2. It's still kicking even though it's been around for a long time. At least the people in charge of that game know how to treat a series properly.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Okay, there are two possibilities:
- you actually can't read and you are unable to understand simple thoughts;
- you are trolling and, being the retarded autistic that I am, I got baited as hard as possible.

I am gonna try again: I don't find difficult to deal with fights in RTwP games, but that's because encounters have to be simple by design, because the system doesn't allow for encounters so complex that the player might be overwelmed (or, better: the system allows for such encounters - see difficulty enhancing mods - but such encounters would alienate a large portion of possible players, so most fights are kept as easy as possible).

That's the last time I try to reason with you, because, if you still can't understand the point, either you are 3 years old or you are the most dedicated troll I have encountered so far.

Saravan

Savant

Any RtwP RPG worth its salt in terms of "difficulty" will sooner or later force the player to pause multiple times in a combat encounter to re-buff, choose new targets, re-position characters, whatever it may be. This bullshit about RtwP combat flowing seamlessly is frankly hilarious.

I like to play competitive aoe2. It's still kicking even though it's been around for a long time. At least the people in charge of that game know how to treat a series properly.

AoE 3 was pretty bad, hence why AoE 2 is still popular. Nice try though.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Yeah, I play PnP D&D only when I feel the need for some calculus

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
or, better: the system allows for such encounters - see difficulty enhancing mods - but such encounters would alienate a large portion of possible players, so most fights are kept as easy as possible).
Sounds like you're the type of person who is making them dumb the encounters down because you've been bitching about it this whole thread.

AoE 3 was pretty bad, hence why AoE 2 is still popular. Nice try though.

It got a definitive edition which is what I was referring to. And before that it was kept alive by modding. It's just a good game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

You cretin should tattoo on your mongoloid forehead - "Larian apologist".
I bet if Swen takes a shit on a table and sticks a BG3 tag on it, you would be the first to say that brown color is en vogue anyway and its putrid "savor" is an acquired taste.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

You cretin should tattoo on your mongoloid forehead - "Larian apologist".
I bet if Swen takes a shit on a table and sticks a BG3 tag on it, you would be the first to say that brown color is en vogue anyway and its putrid "savor" is an acquired taste.
I wanted this thing but swen didn't put it in. Swen knows best, it must suck as a feature.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

why do we even need graphics?

lets do the whole thing as a text adventure. :roll:

it's the easiest addition in the world. add/remove light and change the ambient noises a bit.

not adding one when you already have voice acting, modern graphics and sound effects seems laaaaaaazy.

Mazisky

Magister
muh atmosphere
muh immersion

what forum am I on again? go play some walking simulators

I've just noticed that almost all games (except a couple including Bloodlines cause.....vampires) on the top 20 best Rpgs of all times here on rpgcodex had day\night cycles.

Those old developers are so bad, they threw out of the window resources for this useless feature.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
muh atmosphere
muh immersion

Or we can hold developers with 300 employees to some standard. They can add a little atmosphere since they're voice acting every single line. But if you want to be some apologist that takes whatever swen shoves up your ass go ahead. Just know that you're being cucked by the rest of his fan base that takes it all up the ass too.

Codex Year of the Donut
muh atmosphere
muh immersion

Or we can hold developers with 300 employees to some standard. They can add a little atmosphere since they're voice acting every single line. But if you want to be some apologist that takes whatever swen shoves up your ass go ahead. Just know that you're being cucked by the rest of his fan base that takes it all up the ass too.
how does adding a day/night cycle that does nothing but change the color of your screen add anything?
lmao nigger just change your gamma every few minutes, enjoy your day/night cycle

Mazisky

Magister
Larian could and should have implemented day/night cycles in D:OS classic. There was truly no excuse there, no shadow based stealth.

At the time they said because they had no more resources for that, it was even a stretch goal on their kickstarter (reached and founded btw)

stretch-goals-1-000-000-npc-schedules-day-night-cycles-and-weather-systems-52976333.png
https://pics.me.me/stretch-goals-1-...night-cycles-and-weather-systems-52976333.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Larian could and should have implemented day/night cycles in D:OS classic. There was truly no excuse there, no shadow based stealth.

At the time they said because they had no more resources for that.
Because they didn't want to add a day/night cycle that was purely cosmetic you fucking dipshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom