Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
lets do the whole thing as a text adventure. :roll:
none of my most played games have any graphics beyond ASCII representations so that's fine with me

no wonder you have the artistic sensibility of a frozen onion and fail to appreciate artistic originality.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Larian could and should have implemented day/night cycles in D:OS classic. There was truly no excuse there, no shadow based stealth.

At the time they said because they had no more resources for that.
But they had enough resources to balance the fun out of the game, add in horrendous VA, and casualize it with quest markers in decline edition. :betrayed:

Codex Year of the Donut

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
muh atmosphere
muh immersion

what forum am I on again? go play some walking simulators
Or we can hold developers with 300 employees to some standard. They can add a little atmosphere since they're voice acting every single line. But if you want to be some apologist that takes whatever swen shoves up your ass go ahead. Just know that you're being cucked by the rest of his fan base that takes it all up the ass too.
how does adding a day/night cycle that does nothing but change the color of your screen add anything?
lmao nigger just change your gamma every few minutes, enjoy your day/night cycle
How does music add anything? Dungeon design? Enemy design? Ambient sound? Roads. NPCs walking around? Grass? Lighting? Weapon animations? Maybe if we expected anything from their combat encounters we wouldn't have to look for something worthwhile in the day night cycle.

Codex Year of the Donut
muh atmosphere
muh immersion

Or we can hold developers with 300 employees to some standard. They can add a little atmosphere since they're voice acting every single line. But if you want to be some apologist that takes whatever swen shoves up your ass go ahead. Just know that you're being cucked by the rest of his fan base that takes it all up the ass too.
how does adding a day/night cycle that does nothing but change the color of your screen add anything?
lmao nigger just change your gamma every few minutes, enjoy your day/night cycle
How does music add anything? Dungeon design? Enemy design? Ambient sound? Roads. NPCs walking around? Grass? Lighting? Weapon animations? Maybe if we expected anything from their combat encounters we wouldn't have to look for something worthwhile in the day night cycle.
"how does design add something versus a thing that is purely cosmetic?"
wow, you really are fluent

a cut of domestic sheep prime

muh atmosphere
muh immersion

"hurr hurr how does having a female avatar on screen make a difference? nigger, just put lipstick on yer hand and do a little voice while you read the text"

yeah, yeah, keep pretending you don't understand what I'm talking about. :roll:

personally, I'd rather have actual day/night cycles than a bunch of fully voice acted starter characters or whatever.

not that the two require anything close to the same level of time investment.

Codex Year of the Donut
muh atmosphere
muh immersion

"hurr hurr how does having a female avatar on screen make a difference? nigger, just put lipstick on yer hand and do a little voice while you read the text?"

yeah, yeah, keep pretending you don't understand what I'm talking about.

personally, I'd rather have actual day/night cycles than a bunch of fully voice acted starter characters or whatever.
except being a female character adds a noticeable change to the game
simply making the game darker adds NOTHING.

Mazisky

Magister
Larian could and should have implemented day/night cycles in D:OS classic. There was truly no excuse there, no shadow based stealth.

At the time they said because they had no more resources for that.
Because they didn't want to add a day/night cycle that was purely cosmetic you fucking dipshit.

You must be the classic guy that goes with ugly fat women with glasses nobody want and claim that's because you look at the inside.

muh atmosphere
muh immersion

"hurr hurr how does having a female avatar on screen make a difference? nigger, just put lipstick on yer hand and do a little voice while you read the text?"

yeah, yeah, keep pretending you don't understand what I'm talking about.

except being a female character adds a noticeable change to the game
simply making the game darker adds NOTHING.
I didn't say adding a character. I said adding fully voice acted characters. In my sarcastic example, I'm talking about voiced avatars too. Purely cosmetic.

And again:
not that the two require anything close to the same level of time investment.

Besides, are you saying that you wouldn't notice if it were darker on screen?

Maybe give those of us who aren't blind/retarded a chance to enjoy the game, will you?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
And anyway, the day/night cycle was significantly less important in D:OS classic than the promise of the potential weather system that would have accompanied it. That would have actually had gameplay ramifications. :negative:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Day\night cycles add nothing to the game"

i am pretty sure motion capture for faces adds a lot.
Tradesmeet had some shady characters offering goods on the side while the dao and the druids represented a problem. You could only find those at night.

We laugh and kid, but not having a day cycle would mean severe decline.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
wow, you really are fluent

Listen. I'm not fluent. I don't know why you keep repeating this stupid shit. Fluent is happy else where, not worrying about you guys. I'm sure he found a forum where they appreciate him and has moved on. My writing style is nothing like his. I'm trying to contribute to some conversation here and you just repeat this stupid shit to try to shut me down without responding the the point. I know everyone's going to call me butthurt but I'm not fluent. I'm Ontopoly.

Codex Year of the Donut

Tradesmeet had some shady characters offering goods on the side while the dao and the druids represented a problem. You could only find those at night.

We laugh and kid, but not having a day cycle would mean severe decline.
and here I am arguing that having a day/night cycle that does nothing but shift the color would be stupid because it wouldn't add things like this

leave him alone. he's a "hardcore gamer" that only enjoys the core mechanics and nothing else.

you know: modern graphics, full voice acting, motion captured animation, high quality sound effects, high quality CG cutscenes and the option to play pre-written starter characters for no reason.

such modern contrivances as day/night cycles (Knight Lore 1984) mean nothing to him.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
none of my most played games have any graphics beyond ASCII representations so that's fine with me

no wonder you have the artistic sensibility of a frozen onion and fail to appreciate artistic originality.
Yeah, excuse me for enjoying a game for its gameplay instead of being a graphicsfag.

Then go play a game of dice at the street corner.
The only graphics that would insult your vision would be some white cubes with black dots on them.
Oh, and you get to play on turns!

And after you lose they get RTwP on your sorry ass because despite proudly stating not being a "graphicsfag", you are faggot on a fundamental level.

Mazisky

Magister

where did I argue in favor of motion capture you retard?
go do something useful like catch the coronavirus

I have more fun looking at ugly Eric Cartmans being edgy and able to insult others just because behind a screen.

Still, even the best developers of the past, creators of masterpieces rpgs, decided to add day\night cycle just for flavour.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yeah, excuse me for enjoying a game for its gameplay instead of being a graphicsfag.

The only graphics that would insult your vision would be some white cubes with black dots on them.

And after you lose they get RTwP on your sorry ass because despite proudly stating not being a "graphicsfag", you are fag on a fundamental level.
Wait until you find out that D&D is a tabletop game

And after you lose they get RTwP on your sorry ass because despite proudly stating not being a "graphicsfag", you are fag on a fundamental level.
Wait until you find out that D&D is a tabletop game
ah those table top games.

the games that are just text and nothing else.

they never include art or figures just for flavor oh no! such a foreign concept!

and video games don't normally either. that's why we play video games instead of tabletop games: because we're such purists. right?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

they never include art or figures just for flavor oh no! such a foreign concept!

and video games don't normally either. that's why we play video games instead of tabletop games: because we're such purists. right?
At my table we don't even use dice. We just know who wins. Everything else is fluff and is unnecessary to enjoy the game.

Codex Year of the Donut

At my table we don't even use dice. We just know who wins. Everything else is fluff and is unnecessary to enjoy the game.
explains why you like rtwp so much

wait, you have other people there and don't just imagine what's going on in pure text form?

weak.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With the game having no day & night, I assume it will work exactly the same as DOS. Certain areas, or quests might have "night setting". Disappointing. Also tells me that there won't be any NPC schedules.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom