Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, it's absurd to posit that people can play all the way through Baldur's Gate, all the way through Baldur's Gate II, and all the way through Throne of Bhaal without it becoming "tOo lOoOoOoNg", but would become fatigued by Kingmaker alone. The issue is never that a game is "too long". If your game becomes too long, it's because you've done something wrong and you can't keep it interesting, such as in the case of Pitax and then the House at the End of Time. Kingmaker was simply unfinished on release, and the end of the game was marred in such a way that it couldn't be easily fixed - Pitax being stale and the House being shit aren't exactly bugs.

Wrath of the Righteous is only going to be 2/3 as big as Kingmaker. That's a massive reduction in size and playtime. Along with claims of impending "quality of lyfe" changes, the red flags are piling up.

All the content for Kingmaker was designed on paper in the adventure path. The problem was having the time/money to implement all of it in a polished way. They clearly didn't for the last few chapters, no one would. Reducing the scope is necessary to make sure the entire game is high quality, they can't just "make it good."

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's absurd to posit that people can play all the way through Baldur's Gate, all the way through Baldur's Gate II, and all the way through Throne of Bhaal without it becoming "tOo lOoOoOoNg", but would become fatigued by Kingmaker alone. The issue is never that a game is "too long". If your game becomes too long, it's because you've done something wrong and you can't keep it interesting, such as in the case of Pitax and then the House at the End of Time. Kingmaker was simply unfinished on release, and the end of the game was marred in such a way that it couldn't be easily fixed - Pitax being stale and the House being shit aren't exactly bugs.

Wrath of the Righteous is only going to be 2/3 as big as Kingmaker. That's a massive reduction in size and playtime. Along with claims of impending "quality of lyfe" changes, the red flags are piling up.

All the content for Kingmaker was designed on paper in the adventure path. The problem was having the time/money to implement all of it in a polished way. They clearly didn't for the last few chapters, no one would. Reducing the scope is necessary to make sure the entire game is high quality, they can't just "make it good."

But that's more a problem from their resource which might not be enough when first making the game. Given more resource shouldn't they be able to improve upon the implementation (and expansion in case of the final dungeon)?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

But that's more a problem from their resource which might not be enough when first making the game. Given more resource shouldn't they be able to improve upon the implementation (and expansion in case of the final dungeon)?
Reactivity is expensive, and they're obviously being more ambitious about C&C and dialog for whatever specific race/class combination you end up making. Things will be spread across multiple story branches rather than accessible to everyone all the time. Kingmaker was long enough that it could have been cut in half and still been a really fucking huge game so I'm not really worried about there not being enough stuff to do even with a shorter completion time.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Kingmaker became a lot bigger than the devs anticipated and then they started cutting corners in the final chapters to get it finished .
Wrath of the righteous will probably be as long as they originally planned Kingmaker to be.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Larian has quite a big branch in Saint Petersburg, Russia. So, technically, you can say that BGIII is also being partially made by eastern europeans.
Well, yes and no. The problem is the guys in Saint Petersburg are not following their ideas. They are implementing Mr. Vincke's ideas. So while technically BG-3 is partially made by Russians, it is actually made by and for a Belgian game studio with a director from Gent.

Also, for all non-believers I would suggest reading and trying to understand 2 thecnical articles on Kickstarter. I think that Owlcat address unnecessary development workload quite aggressively, and it might be more impactful than their now infamous QA bot.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian has quite a big branch in Saint Petersburg, Russia. So, technically, you can say that BGIII is also being partially made by eastern europeans.
Well, yes and no. The problem is the guys in Saint Petersburg are not following their ideas. They are implementing Mr. Vincke's ideas. So while technically BG-3 is partially made by Russians, it is actually made by and for a Belgian game studio with a director from Gent.
Their Lead Systems Designer is a (Bela?)Russian guy though (the author of the infamous DOS2 armour system btw).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Ud7jrnanU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZPj83H38bs

Reinhardt

Arcane
I hope they won't go too big with strategy mode. Just hand-crafted key battles.

Even simple system like in suikoden can be pretty fun. I still remember combining commanders to get named units or sending horde of hungry beavers to sink enemy fleet.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
KS Comparisons through Day 32 (all data from the relevant Kicktraq pages):

PKM: $657,175

PWR: $1,630,578

D:OS II: $1,697,101

----

PWR has currently raised 2.48x more than PKM did at this point in time.

PWR would raise $2,255,546 if it continued at that pace against PKM.

PWR has raised 0.96x as much as D:OS II did at this point in time.

PWR would raise $1,952,768 if it continued that pace against D:OS II

PWR would raise $1,882,460 if it matched PKM in funds the rest of the way.

PWR would raise $1,965,912 if it matched D:OS II in funds the rest of the way.

——

PWR has raised 4.23x more than PKM did over the last 4 days.

PWR has raised 1.52x more than D:OS II did over the last 4 days.

====

Best day in the campaign since Day 6! :)

Seems like we have, I dunno, 2 - 3 more stretch goals to look for after this one.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Huge red flag in itself. Let's not forget that "feedback" was behind almost all the bad decisions of Pillars of Eternity.
Maybe not the feedback but the way Josh interpreted it to mean whatever he wanted it to mean.

You must be American. Only an American would list Belgium, seat of the fucking pozzed out EU as Eastern Europe. LOL. Their studio is literally across the 'river' (English Channel) from the UK but don't let that stop you. And no, you weren't being ironic.
You must be a retard. Nice to know. Read before you write next time. "LOL".

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Btw will the post kickstarter backers(through backer portal or whatever it's called) be counted towards announced stretch goals? if so then we should comfortably reach the goal.
i didn't follow the kingmaker kickstarter but I was told we got nok nok that way.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
$61k in donations yesterday, and 4 more days to go including today. Even if there wasn't a spike in the last day (and there always is), that means 240+k more in donations or ~$1.876M. That's the HOMM stretch goal, the next goal, and probably at least one more (and maybe more, depending on the spacing of goals.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up at 1.9M-1.95M. 2M seems a stretch, but who knows.

jerfdr

Educated
Btw will the post kickstarter backers(through backer portal or whatever it's called) be counted towards announced stretch goals? if so then we should comfortably reach the goal.
i didn't follow the kingmaker kickstarter but I was told we got nok nok that way.
They've said that post-Kickstarter pledges will count towards 1 (one) additional stretch goal not reached during the main campaign.

We actually got the Aasimar race that way in Kingmaker. Nok-nok was funded still as part of the main campaign.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The success of this kickstarter campaign after the experience of Kingmaker proves that there is an audience for rpgs where the focus is prominently on the gameplay and not on superfluous details like motion capture and omnipresent voice-over.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Huge red flag in itself. Let's not forget that "feedback" was behind almost all the bad decisions of Pillars of Eternity.
Maybe not the feedback but the way Josh interpreted it to mean whatever he wanted it to mean.
Why would you assume that? A 5-minute visit to the Steam forums or Reddit should make it clear to you that 99% of "feedback" is useless. People are knee-jerk in their reactions and are prone to thinking they want to push buttons and see colors, and they generally want to cut out everything that requires thinking, consideration, preperation, or pacing. The vast majority of feedback is unsubstantiated fucking nonsense that would make most games actively worse.

Kingmaker was long enough that it could have been cut in half and still been a really fucking huge game so I'm not really worried about there not being enough stuff to do even with a shorter completion time.
A game isn't about "stuff to do". That is the most popamole mentality imaginable. Is the Baldur's Gate trilogy about "stuff to do"? Does the slump in Throne of Bhaal, or the one in PF:K's Pitax for that matter, because of a lack of "stuff to do"? A good game isn't a fucking theme park.

Presenting criticism of a massive reduction in planned playtime as a unfounded fear for "lmao no stuff to do!?" is either deceptive and deflective, or actually retarded, especially when the actual concerns have been detailed.

This is simply not true. Tons of content has been added, and practically all content is reworked in several ways, and one whole book and about 1/5 to 1/4 of the map is flat-out missing; they literally removed that section of the map and parsed the sections of either side together. I know this because I was planning to use the PF:K map for running the PnP, and you just can't. Add to this all the extra quests, almost all the exploration maps, a ton of the dungeons, added connections to the overarching plot (fixing some of the chief complaints of the base adventure path), nevermind practically all dialogue and the vast majority of unique items.

No. All the content for Kingmaker was definitely not designed on paper in the adventure path. At best, it was partially (re-)designed "on paper" in the private Pathfinder games we know the Owlcat people play, but if that is remotely true, their GM is a crazy motherfucker that goes well far and beyond the call of duty, whereas most GMs have loose notes and a propensity for making shit up at best.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Yeah Deadfire would have likely been far better if the dev team were cutoff the internet and all that bullshit "feedback". I liked the white march enough to think that POE1 sequel was gonna be great or at least better but then POE2 happened.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The success of this kickstarter campaign after the experience of Kingmaker proves that there is an audience for rpgs where the focus is prominently on the gameplay and not on superfluous details like motion capture and omnipresent voice-over.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: As games have declined in quality, the market has expanded massively. The powers that be have thought of this as some kind of strong correlation rather than a weak one (there is one; appealing to the lowest common denominator is inherently widening), but the effect of this means that the vast majority of gamers these days - the potential market as a whole - have never even been exposed to quality games.

It's why some of them are losing their minds over games like PF:K and similar.

I hope they won't go too big with strategy mode. Just hand-crafted key battles.

Even simple system like in suikoden can be pretty fun. I still remember combining commanders to get named units or sending horde of hungry beavers to sink enemy fleet.
I'm going to get lambasted for this, but something like Fire Emblem/Advanced Wars could be insanely fun while extremely simple in implementation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://wccftech.com/pathfinder-wra...multiplayer-would-require-a-lot-of-resources/

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Interview – ‘Multiplayer Would Require a Lot of Resources’

During PAX East 2020, we caught up with Owlcat Games to get an in-depth look at the next title from the studio, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. This follow-up to 2018's Pathfinder: Kingmaker is currently undergoing a crowdfunded Kickstarter campaign. With four days left to go, the campaign has already surpassed its $300,000 goal fivefold by hitting the $1,600,000 mark shortly after PAX East 2020 wrapped up, unlocking stretch goals such as mounted combat, dismemberment, increased world reactivity, more varied animations and of course extra classes and races.

To discuss Owlcat Games' next Pathfinder entry, we spoke with Alexander Mishulin, the Creative Director for both Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous as well as the previous entry, Kingmaker.

Fans have been talking about Baldur's Gate 3 here at the show, but that title is going exclusively turn-based. How do you feel that some Baldur's Gate fans are now saying that Pathfinder is the true successor since it features realtime with pause combat?

That's a difficult one. I actually enjoyed the footage for Baldur's Gate 3 and never had the chance to experience it on the floor. Our entire team is going to play that, I know for sure. When Larian announced that, it was like 'oh, they're doing Baldur's Gate 3' and we'll be playing that. But when you're making a game, eventually you see some things you could do better and it prevents you a little bit from enjoying your own creation.

Aside from that, I think there are places for many great RPGs on the market. Now, when I finish the latest one, usually there's a gap and then I'm going back to the games I liked and replay something before the next game on the market arrives. It's not like a shortage, but there is still a place for many different RPGs. Because of that, I think that there are a lot of people who love the genre and should play our game and should play Baldur's Gate 3 and any other great experience that is released on the market.

Why did Pathfinder: Kingmaker never make its way to consoles?

Actually, we are making a console version. We didn't announce a release date yet, but it is in the works and I hope you will be able to enjoy it on consoles. We'll see how it goes from there, but [Pathfinder:] Wrath of the Righteous is PC-only at this time.

If Pathfinder: Kingmaker is successful on consoles or if players enjoy using the controller with it, do you think there is a possibility of porting Wrath of the Righteous as well?

Usually, I'm told that I have to say that we will not confirm or deny anything. Logically speaking, if Pathfinder: Kingmaker performs great, we will be thinking about going that way, but right now we're focused on the PC experience.

Has Owlcat Games been thinking about adding multiplayer in some way?

Yes, we thought [about] and calculated it. Our two previous games, Allods Online and Skyforge were two big MMORPGs. We know perfectly well how much it costs to provide a level of cooperative multiplayer experience similar to [Divinity:] Original Sin and it is a *lot*. It will take from the single player experience. We would have to assign resources to make this kind of game mode and we want to provide the best single player experience we possibly can, so no, not for now.

Will you officially support modding, like Steam Workshop capabilities, for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous?

Yes, we reached a social goal on Kickstarter to officially support modding. I will not say a direct listing workshop because our programmers will still work with how we will approach that. It's a high percent chance of doing Steam Workshop but they didn't give me information that we are really sure of that we'll do [Steam Workshop] so I cannot promise it. But yes, there will be some kind of mod support.
Damien Sarrazin, PR: If I may just interject here for one second, I don't know if you talked about the turn-based mode yet. That feature was actually stemmed from a mod, right? From the community?

Yes, the turn-based mode. Our community made a great mod for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It allowed playing the game turn-based with some additional rules concerning movement. Even up close, that was a tabletop experience. It got big traction in the community and a lot of people enjoyed us. It showed us our game from a different perspective and we saw that if people enjoy it, we should include it in our next game. So, in Wrath of the Righteous, there will be a turn-based mode that you can turn on and off. We have some people that enjoy playing everything turn-based, some people enjoy playing areas in real time, and sometimes we want to have a greater degree of control. You can go turn-based, for example in a boss battle, and give more precise orders if you want to.

In terms of numbers [for damage and abilities], they're still made for real time with pause. We're not changing them because we're still making those numbers based on the tabletop RPG, so they shouldn't be changing between real time and turn-based. It's up to you to decide [how to play].

Will the console versions of Pathfinder: Kingmaker have that turn-based mode?

I cannot say anything about that.

Can you talk about the degree of involvement with Chris Avellone on Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous?

Yes, we're happy to work with Chris on another project. He's a big fan of the Pathfinder universe. He led some adventures back at Obsidian and he is helping us with the main storyline. He's writing one of the companions. His role is pretty much the same as the first game.

Looking at the alignment system in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, how dynamic is it? How much will your alignment change during gameplay?

It will be a little bit different from Pathfinder: Kingmaker. In Kingmaker, you could shift your alignment from, for example, being good to being evil and back to being good throughout the game without the use of spells like Atonement.

In Wrath of the Righteous, it will be less dynamic. Part of that is because of the Mythic paths. If you're going down a mythic path, there are some quests involved that support the behavior of a chosen path. Say you want to become a Lich. To do that, you're going through several tasks and most of them require some evil actions. Becoming undead and preparing a ritual - probably there are some things that are not really good. It will pull your alignment towards becoming evil. The same goes for Angel and others that will be pulling you towards good, or different spectrums of good. Because of that pull, we expect that most of the players will gravitate into the alignment of a particular mythic path. There are some options within it as well, but it will be less common than in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

That was one thing I was curious about. If you're going down the path of Lich, will there still be partially good options later on or if those options are locked out.

I would say you definitely can remain neutral but it's a lot of effort, of course, because you'll be pulled towards evil. You probably won't be able to remain good. We will see. Wrath of the Righteous is still in development and a lot of things fluctuate.

Did you have an early access period for Pathfinder: Kingmaker?

We had alpha and beta versions available for our backers at different types of pledges. We are going the same route here.

Are you going to support multi-classing in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous?

Yeah, all the way. One of the greatest features of Pathfinder is that you're able to multi-class easily and create very interesting and insane builds. One of our players shared with us a build with six different classes and that's enormously powerful. In Kingmaker, there is a third DLC which is an endless dungeon and a lot of players who enjoy playing with mechanics and creating different characters are enjoying it. It's like a test ground for different builds and party compositions. Sometimes they do really insane stuff.

Do you have a level cap in mind?

The Pathfinder ruleset caps everything at 20 and mythic progression is capped at 10. You can expect to be reaching level 20/10 throughout the adventure and it's the maximum possible level in the Pathfinder ruleset.

In your opinion, what do you think about the next generation of consoles?

I would definitely get those. I set aside a hefty sum of money for that. I really like the fast loading times. For example, I played Marvel's Spider-Man, it's a great game, but eventually when hopping between the regions, I was getting tired of [riding] the metro. I don't expect a great difference in terms of graphics because when Microsoft was presenting the newest Xbox and newest Halo, I actually caught myself thinking that I personally don't see a difference now. For our artists, there is a great difference, but not for me.

I kind of expect the games going the same route they're going right now with consoles. For some time, for a couple of years, while people learn how to make the best out of the consoles, we'll still be playing a mix of the generations and games will be very similar, but then somebody will do something really insane. We'll see.

Thank you very much for your time.

I wonder if they will also add turn-based to Kingmaker console release.

Will the console versions of Pathfinder: Kingmaker have that turn-based mode?

I cannot say anything about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom