Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
Harthwain, I don't appreciate you changing my name to fluent. If you have some accusations to throw around you should come out and say it. Stop being a little bitch and just say it. Why do you think I'm fluent? Let's hear it.
It was a joke and I was wondering if you even notice. You did. Not only that. You exceeded my expectations and ignored the most relevant part of my post in order to focus on complaining about me calling you Fluent in the quote.

At this point I am 100% certain that you are either a paramecium or a troll. Because you do seem to be able to form sentences and change avatars, I am giving you benefit of a doubt here. I also suspected you're somebody's alt, given how asslicking your "opinion" of the Codex was and how much effort you go through in order to try and stoke the flames of war (let's be honest, butthurt here is pretty tame here, compared to other places). The only thing I wasn't sure about was whose alt you were, but when somebody called you out and you "denied" it in the most foolish way imaginable, I decided to roll with it and see what happens.

And you didn't disappoint. Now...
the-shield-generator-will-be-quite-operational-when-your-friends-arrive

(Yes, I called you Fluent in the quote. Again.)

Yet in the end it was BG and its RTwP that pushed the D&D in to the computer market and made it popular. There were plenty of D&D TB games before that,but none managed to do that. It was BG that propelled D&D forward and introduced it to a lot of people around the world.

You could be inaccurate on that score. Yes, Baldur's Gate's influence has been huge (excuse the self-citation), and I do rate the Infinity Engine as the greatest RPG engine after the one that powered Jagged Alliance 2, but I don't ascribe that to RTwP, the Goldbox games were very popular as well, and there are many people who think IE influence has been pernicious, or that the influence of the games influenced by the IE have been. I think aspects of the IE have been pernicious, and some aspects of campaigns built on it have been as well, but on the whole I'm glad IE happened, and I'm glad it's endured, because ToEE didn't manage to usher in a new Goldbox era.

If ToEE was a success, the landscape of RPGs would be so different. Troika's demise was one of the worst things to happen to the genre.
so true. IF we could have had a bunch of other classic modules with that engine, my god. That would have been glorious. Not to mention how they would have evolved the engine as it went along.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
FOUR UNDENIABLE TRUTHS
  1. This game is Divinity Original Sin 2.5
  2. Baldur's Gate 3 should have been made with the POE Deadfire engine with optional turn-based mode
  3. This game will still get good reviews
  4. I will still enjoy this game

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I don't know how you can justify them when the 99% of the classic RPGs from 1992 till 2020 had a day night cycle, even if only aesthetic just for the world-building. They all had a surplus of resources to throw in the bin?
Faery Tale Adventure had a day/night cycle, with semi-realistic darkness, and that was developed in 1986 by one person in seven months on a new type of computer released late the previous year. +M

4M1Dsfh.jpg

8utYSx5.jpg

xCK4nUI.jpg

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
If my opinion is just butt licking the codex then why does it feel like everyone is so against me? The only reason you think I'm fluent is because I deny it? Would it help if I proudly walked around calling my self fluent? Can a mod give me a tag calling me fluent? I wouldn't want people to confuse me with fluent so I guess that's my only option. I'm ignoring your comment because there's a much more important thing to settle first. If you were truly interested in a conversation you wouldn't resort to name calling and accusations. I think you're the actual troll. You and all your name calling buddies. You pretend you want to have an actual discussion and I start to get invested but then you keep name calling and adding these stupid little remarks to your posts. Trolls accusing other people of being trolls. Classic troll move.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
FOUR UNDENIABLE TRUTHS
  1. This game is Divinity Original Sin 2.5
  2. Baldur's Gate 3 should have been made with the POE Deadfire engine with optional turn-based mode
  3. This game will still get good reviews
  4. I will still enjoy this game

Nah, this is Divinity OS 2 Rulechange Mod

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wish I could say I was surprised, but as I said multiple times, this is Larian. What did you expect, innovation? :lol: That they would update and possibly refactor their engine just so you can have a day night cycle?

The AAA business doesn't work that way. Cut cool features if the implementation is risky and costly, and use a fraction of their budget to hire poor ass journos to spread propaganda that this feature isn't that important anyway. Useful idiots like Rusty will do the rest of the work on social channels for free.

Of course the lack of day night cycle is a total disgrace. It says "I can be an insolent jackass but you will still give me your money, because I'm dangling the BG logo in front of you". The hell I am though.

Harthwain

Magister
If my opinion is just butt licking the codex then why does it feel like everyone is so against me?
I didn't say it was working.

I'm ignoring your comment because there's a much more important thing to settle first.
"Important"? You think too highly of yourself. Nobody is important. Everyone is expendable.

If you were truly interested in a conversation you wouldn't resort to name calling and accusations. I think you're the actual troll. You and all your name calling buddies. You pretend you want to have an actual discussion and I start to get invested but then you keep name calling and adding these stupid little remarks to your posts. Trolls accusing other people of being trolls. Classic troll move.
Oh noes! He found out, lads!

The fuck you're talking about? Out of literally EVERYBODY in this thread you're the one who uses the goddamn royal "we" here.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The fuck you're talking about? Out of literally EVERYBODY in this thread you're the one who uses the goddamn royal "we" here.

I'm not using the royal we. There are many like minded individuals that I represent in each of my comments, I've spoken to many BG fans and they agree with me. We need to let people know that they aren't alone in thinking what's happening here is a crime against art and I'm showing people that you don't have to just take developers shit lying down. Maybe I won't change anything but at least my voice will be heard

No day\night cycle confirmed by the devs, because "it will conflict with multiplayer".

They wanna create a believable world, the best Crpg ever, 300 people and they cannot even afford a day night cycle which almost the totality of the classic rpgs of the last 20 years had.

I really hope this game fails along with Larian.
Are you fucking kidding me? Ok fuck this shit, fuck it really hard. They can't even add this stupid tiny thing. But hey, throwing boots!!! :rage:
It's not a tiny thing at all.

A day-night cycle is only valuable if it changes something else than lighting. For that, you need serious systems to make it work: NPCs schedules that change with the time of day, visibility and stealth differences, moments to trigger quests and events. Not many games have done it right. I can think of two: the Gothics, and Arcanum (and the Witcher 1 to a lesser extent). In both cases NPCs did different stuff at night than during the day. Night time has sleeping people, valuables behind lock and key, patrols, stealth possibilities, etc.

Either you go full cycle, or you don't do it. Larian is wise not investing resources if they're not willing to go all in on this.

Also, given the way Larian does TB while other characters not in combat are in real time, the flow of time wouldn't work well for cycles. Does time only pass for characters not in TB? In that case, what happens if players outisde the fight join it, while some are in nighttime and the others in daytime? Which visibility rules do you apply, for one? The alternative, that time passes for everyone based on a IRL clock, isn't better. In that case, one fight of 10 rounds could start during the day and end during the next day, a full cycle having passed while in fact the fight would only have taken 1min in D&D time (6s/round). Both ways of doing cycles would have problems.

I don't know how you can justify them when the 99% of the classic RPGs from 1992 till 2020 had a day night cycle, even if only ahestetic just for the world-building. They all had a surplus of resources to throw in the bin?

The resources saved from not implementing a day\night cycle will be put into creating fucking talking squirrels or cats, considering this is Larian.
seriously I agree. Even if they don't add schedules or anything how fucking hard is it just to make it fucking dark sometimes? Like this has been a thing in games forever. Its dark in their dungeons. Make it dark outside sometimes, what the fuck. Why even create this controversy.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
seriously I agree. Even if they don't add schedules or anything how fucking hard is it just to make it fucking dark sometimes? Like this has been a thing in games forever. Its dark in their dungeons. Make it dark outside sometimes, what the fuck. Why even create this controversy.

They're not adding it because they don't have to. You've seen people defend these decisions. Why add something if no one cares and people will even defend you for not adding it. Shills ruin everything.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

If I wanted to jerk off the codex I could easily do it. I would just parrot Lilura. I see a lot of people smack talking websites like Reddit on the codex because of the whole voting culty thing but you guys still copy follow ratings from your favorite posters anyways. I'll honestly probably pretend to like toee eventually just to get her to respect me.

A little pet peeve with this argument that is being repeated ad naseum. What is the issue with this? The action is not "throwing boots", but just "throwing". It just allows you to throw any object you have. Of course the normal use will be to throw things like daggers and grenades, but you can get creative with it. Is just a tool taken to its logical conclusion. Using straw man like those is of poor taste.

because the boots do 4 damage which is ridiculous. There is no way in any world that thrown shoes would do any damage to any creature much less one wearing Armour. You would never hit anybody with them anyway and how long would it take to take off your shoes and throw them?

A dagger? Ok. An axe? Ok. A fire flask..ok...shoes? If somebody threw shoes and hit you from 30 feet away and you are wearing Armour they are doing no damage. Its dumb as hell. Not to mention unlacing you boots and throwing them should take at least 10 to 20 seconds. If they are a back pack item, okay, but still shoes are not doing any damage to anyone unless you are a roach or something.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

If I wanted to jerk off the codex I could easily do it. I would just parrot Lilura. I see a lot of people smack talking websites like Reddit on the codex because of the whole voting culty thing but you guys still copy follow ratings from your favorite posters anyways. I'll honestly probably pretend to like toee eventually just to get her to respect me.
Why do you care who respects you and who doesn't? That's a pretty weak strategy.

Elex

Arbiter
Disclaimer: i actually have no idea who was responsible for armour system, that post was for trolling purposes only.
Too late internet will cite codex as the source.
“Based on RPGCODEX is the guy that created armor system”

Harthwain

Magister
A dagger? Ok. An axe? Ok. A fire flask..ok...shoes? If somebody threw shoes and hit you from 30 feet away and you are wearing Armour they are doing no damage. Its dumb as hell. Not to mention unlacing you boots and throwing them should take at least 10 to 20 seconds. If they are a back pack item, okay, but still shoes are not doing any damage to anyone unless you are a roach or something.
Are you using realism argument? Here is the rule:

Improvised Weapons
Sometimes characters don't have their weapons and have to attack with whatever is at hand. An improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands, such as broken glass, a table leg, a frying pan, a wagon wheel, or a dead goblin.

Often, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such. For example, a table leg is akin to a club. At the GM's option, a character proficient with a weapon can use a similar object as if it were that weapon and use his or her proficiency bonus.

An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage (the GM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object). If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage. An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm not a game developer. What would take longer to implement. A boot throwing feature or a day/night cycle feature? Which would you prefer to be in the game?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
No matter what the game looks like as a final product I'm sure we can all agree that's it's a great thing ray tracing made it in. I'm excited to see how the amazing lighting affects Volos beard.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm not a game developer. What would take longer to implement. A boot throwing feature or a day/night cycle feature? Which would you prefer to be in the game?
Like I said in the previous page L-AAA-rian won't rewrite their engine to feature day-night cycles. I'd bet a good sum that they can't implement it without serious low-level rework. This would then impact the scene editors they are using... imagine the whole project being delayed for a year. :lol:

Meanwhile you have a bunch of humble developers living and working in much worse conditions, who decide to put a HoMM3-lite in their Unity-based RPG, because they thought it would be cool.

There are developers that deserve respect for the risks they take, and developers who sell their asses to unwashed nu-gamer crowds.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
There are developers that deserve respect for the risks they take, and developers who sell their asses to unwashed nu-gamer crowds.

I completely agree. Just compare how they interact with their community if you want to know Reich developers to support. You can feel passion when you're paying a game and that's why Pathfinder kingmaker, even with it's faults, was my favorite game of it's release year while divinity original sin 3 will never even make it onto my shelf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom