Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
shoes should do no damage. Can you throw an apple at a dragon and kill it? Honestly an apple would do more damage than shoes though, because I could at least throw it like a baseball and get some speed on it like 70 MPH. Shoes are going to tumble and have no force behind them at all.

There should be some semblance of reality, yes, or otherwise what are we doing? Why do we have the rules? You should not be able to sit down and unlace your shoes and then throw them and have them do as much damage as a combat dagger and have it take less time than it would to swing sword. otherwise, why have rules at all? Why not just say you pick up pebbles and throw them for 2d12? Whats the difference?

if the players want to throw apple at a dragon i will allow them to roll for it. imagine if he crit i will describe the dragon chocking after shallowing the apple.

then the dragon will grab the player fly up 120 feet and let it go.

Larian is making the game and they don't seem to have any trouble changing the rules, for instance making it more likely to hit, an adding their trademark barrels of acid, chemicals and oil stacked deep into the wilderness and unexplored dungeon areas of the world.

Where did this come from? As far as I'm aware, the chances of hit follows the rules of PnP but presents the info in percentiles for more clarity. You can see the real rolls on the logs. Also we still don't know how their encounters will really be designed.

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-combine-the-best-of-divinity-and-dandd-5th-edition/

Swen "You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit."

Larian and swen can't control themselves. Just like they promised two "funny" Larian joke responses in every conversation choice, they will implement environmental damage exploding barrels/puddles in every single encounter. he will tell his designers there must be at least "X" number of exploding puddles or barrels or whatever, and "X" number of ledges to jump up on, and "X" number of boxes to stack in every encounter, because Swen does not know how to limit himself once he has what to him is a good idea. He just has a nerdgasm and spazes out, spittle flying everywhere.

He thinks the more times you use the idea the better it becomes. The more times you say "cheese" the funnier it is. The more exploding barrels, the more fun it creates. That is how things work. If something is "Fun" then you can assign it a number like lets say "6" and then each time you implement it you can multiply the fun by that factor. Thats how fun and humor work to swen.

So if dipping his balls in fire is '6' on the fun scale, then doing it 800 times means he had 6(800)=4800 fun. That is how you design games and that is how you design magic items and humor.... or anything really. He trademarked and patented it.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Larian is making the game and they don't seem to have any trouble changing the rules, for instance making it more likely to hit, an adding their trademark barrels of acid, chemicals and oil stacked deep into the wilderness and unexplored dungeon areas of the world.

Where did this come from? As far as I'm aware, the chances of hit follows the rules of PnP but presents the info in percentiles for more clarity. You can see the real rolls on the logs. Also we still don't know how their encounters will really be designed.

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-combine-the-best-of-divinity-and-dandd-5th-edition/

Swen "You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit."
retarded rpgcodex doomer interpretation: "OMG YOU CAN NEVER MISS!"
likely reality: easy mode will make it easier to hit

Elex

Arbiter

They house rule in stuff like advantage from elevation.

probably they also add flaking variant rule.

so both ranged and melee attack are easier to hit.

dude asked a question, I answered. All that extra shit you added, I said nothing about the choice at all.

Harthwain

Magister

Reminder: Swen was missing a lot during the gameplay reveal... Just saying.

I'm not a game developer. What would take longer to implement. A boot throwing feature or a day/night cycle feature? Which would you prefer to be in the game?

Who the fuck cares about day-night cycle? Mah-immersun-tards?
If the only thing this cycle does is making me to play part of the time with shit visibility hurting my eyes, or forcing me to press "wait N hours" button
just too see an NPC I need, I will take boot-trowing feature or any other crap instead of it.
I like it how day-night cycles suddenly became unimportant, the minute we learned they won't be featured. :lol:
I like how it became important, the moment we learned it won't be featured.

if any item of random clothing or anything u pick up off the ground can do 1d4 damage, the same as a dagger, what is the point of having a throwing dagger or knife or any of that shit at all? Just throw random shit for 1d4 damage. Why throw both boots anyway? Throw 1 at a time. Throw a sock, then a boot, then the other sock, then the other boot, then the other sock. And since it takes less time than an attack, you can do it all in one round. Take out a umber hulk in a single round with just your footwear. Then move on to your pants and underwear.

Better than actually fucking around with a bastard sword, which takes a full round to use... Just start throwing clothes and pine cones, a dead cat, who needs weapon smiths, or sharpened edges or balanced throwing axes..just start flinging random shit all around. Maybe make feat out of it, "Tantrum Thrower" "Table Tosser" "Clothes Tornado", fire chicken wings for 1d4+1 damage, don't even fuck around with Blacksmiths, they are a Gnome conspiracy anyway. Anything is better than steel, just grab and throw bro. Grab and throw.

Codex Year of the Donut
if any item of random clothing or anything u pick up off the ground can do 1d4 damage, the same as a dagger, what is the point of having a throwing dagger or knife or any of that shit at all? Just throw random shit for 1d4 damage. Why throw both boots anyway? Throw 1 at a time. Throw a sock, then a boot, then the other sock, then the other boot, then the other sock. And since it takes less time than an attack, you can do it all in one round. Take out a umber hulk in a single round with just your footwear. Then move on to your pants and underwear.

Better than actually fucking around with a bastard sword, which takes a full round to use... Just start throwing clothes and pine cones, a dead cat, who needs weapon smiths, or sharpened edges or balanced throwing axes..just start flinging random shit all around. Maybe make feat out of it, "Tantrum Thrower" "Table Tosser" "Clothes Tornado", fire chicken wings for 1d4+1 damage, don't even fuck around with Blacksmiths, they are a Gnome conspiracy anyway. Anything is better than steel, just grab and throw bro. Grab and throw.
these are good ideas

A dagger? Ok. An axe? Ok. A fire flask..ok...shoes? If somebody threw shoes and hit you from 30 feet away and you are wearing Armour they are doing no damage. Its dumb as hell. Not to mention unlacing you boots and throwing them should take at least 10 to 20 seconds. If they are a back pack item, okay, but still shoes are not doing any damage to anyone unless you are a roach or something.
Are you using realism argument? Here is the rule:

Improvised Weapons
Sometimes characters don't have their weapons and have to attack with whatever is at hand. An improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands, such as broken glass, a table leg, a frying pan, a wagon wheel, or a dead goblin.

Often, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such. For example, a table leg is akin to a club. At the GM's option, a character proficient with a weapon can use a similar object as if it were that weapon and use his or her proficiency bonus.

An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage (the GM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object). If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage. An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet
shoes should do no damage. Can you throw an apple at a dragon and kill it? Honestly an apple would do more damage than shoes though, because I could at least throw it like a baseball and get some speed on it like 70 MPH. Shoes are going to tumble and have no force behind them at all.

There should be some semblance of reality, yes, or otherwise what are we doing? Why do we have the rules? You should not be able to sit down and unlace your shoes and then throw them and have them do as much damage as a combat dagger and have it take less time than it would to swing sword. otherwise, why have rules at all? Why not just say you pick up pebbles and throw them for 2d12? Whats the difference?
No it shouldn't be realistic. Monk fisting dragon to death is not realistic. Warrior's swings doing more damage than giant stones and fireballs is not realistic. 4 adventurers wiping hundreds of monsters is not realistic. Go play survival game if you want realism. There is not a single RPG that pulled it well and i hope they stop trying, because it's boring as fuck. And he already stated that item throws do 1d4 max, learn to read.

dude asked a question, I answered. All that extra shit you added, I said nothing about the choice at all.
Your answer was retarded thou.

Elex

Arbiter

The point is proficiency.
You don’t have proficiency with improvised weapons.
Unless you have the tavern brawler feat.

Anonona

Learned

And yet as we have seen on the presentation, it still follows PnP rules. Not only that is quite an old interview, it doesn't match up with the actual footage. The only thing that they added is, as Elex said, the height advantage, which I think they did because in PnP certain actions gain advantage if the GM decided so, and height is good as a factor to decide ranged attack advantage.

But in the rules, a throwing knife does more damage than an improvised weapon, and so does any other real weapon. You won't kill much by just throwing random shit at the enemy, it is more a desperate tactic or a low level one when HP is still low and you don't have many weapons at your disposal. And if it still bothers you, it is a D&D e5 issue, not a Larian one, so it is understandable. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 3.5 also has rules for improvised weapons? I think you took attack roll penalties but could use anything as weapon and it was up to the GM to determine the damage, but it actually did more damage as you just took the damage value of a weapon comparable in size and shape. I just cannot agree on this been an issue

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RE: day/night cycle

A day/night cycle is like one of the easiest things to pull off, you just need to know how colors work; it's literally just a dark blue-violet glaze on top. And it's the same both for 2d and 3d, although I guess it would be more complicated with modern graphics and many sources of light. But really, I made this in 5 minutes:

1. Random BG internet picture:

PezCi4n.jpg

2. My own lazy, cheap night version:

fkS7enW.jpg

3. How it's done:

gErXxln.jpg

Same with BG3:

O3dqoT7.jpg

YArhfda.jpg

And if you want this to affect the shadow mechanics in some way, just add a multiplier to whatever bonus you got from the daylight shadow, like 1.5, and that's it.

Mazisky

Magister
And what's the point of it if nothing actually changes?
I guarantee if BG3 had a cosmetic-only day/night cycle you fags would be crying that it's cosmetic only.

Stop trying to get Swen attention constantly, please. It's unrequited love. Give up and go on, there are plenty of men in this world.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And what's the point of it if nothing actually changes?
I guarantee if BG3 had a cosmetic-only day/night cycle you fags would be crying that it's cosmetic only.

I said you could add a multiplier to the current value (whatever it may be) of the daylight shadows if you want it to be relevant (so instead of +3 shadow or whatever, it's a +5 when at night.) It's an if-then argument; I'm not a coder, but I suspect that may take just a few lines and minutes of work. Remove NPCs routines when at night, and make most of them stay at home. Close some doors. Add some nightlife sound effects, remove the daylight background chatter, and that's it. You have created an easy illusion of night with gameplay effects. These are not some deep changes to the source code. If they don't want to add them because, for whatever reason, this interferes with something else (some people have mentioned multiplayer), then alright, but it's not because it's hard work or difficult as some posters have implied.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher

A day/night cycle is like one of the easiest things to pull off, you just need to know how colors work; it's literally just a dark blue-violet glaze on top. And it's the same both for 2d and 3d, although I guess it would be more complicated with modern graphics and many sources of light. But really, I made this in 5 minutes:

PezCi4n.jpg

fkS7enW.jpg

To be worth of bother, that guy in the top right should have sex or something in the bushes in the bottom screen.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

PezCi4n.jpg

fkS7enW.jpg

3. How it's done:

gErXxln.jpg

Same with BG3:

O3dqoT7.jpg

YArhfda.jpg

And if you want this to affect the shadow mechanics in some way, just add a multiplier to whatever bonus you got from the daylight shadow, like 1.5, and that's it.

Why, thank you for proving my point that the only reason for such a retarded implementation of day-night cycle is to make player's eyes bleed by forcing them to squint half of the time.

DraQ

Arcane
Damage from throwing random objects should be pretty low and modified by target's size and of course object thrown, its weight, etc. Throwing normal boot at medium rare sized humanoid should IMO only deal actual damage on crit, but it should still confer some disadvantages to the target on hit and might be worthwhile in some situations.

I don't know how it is handled in PnP DnD TBH.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom