Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

catfood

AGAIN
Yeah, that's the thing. Remaking the UI and simply upscaling some of the old assets like they did with BT would have been much cheaper than doing these shitty 3D graphics.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Don't forget they also had a voice actor for at least some of the journal entries. I haven't had time to revisit and i really do want to play the game in chunks via each version from emulators to the two gog releases. This way i can get a feel of maybe where they were coming from though i still believe Fargo was cash grabbing here.

I'm still just a tad annoyed they didn't do a BTCS based on the trilogy just to see what some fans might cone up with.

I doubt we'll see dragon wars etc so I guess only Wasteland 3 is on the xile plate.

Divinity: Original Sin
Don't forget they also had a voice actor for at least some of the journal entries. I haven't had time to revisit and i really do want to play the game in chunks via each version from emulators to the two gog releases. This way i can get a feel of maybe where they were coming from though i still believe Fargo was cash grabbing here.

I'm still just a tad annoyed they didn't do a BTCS based on the trilogy just to see what some fans might cone up with.

I doubt we'll see dragon wars etc so I guess only Wasteland 3 is on the xile plate.
the voice was recorded for the re-release of the classic one...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lordy! You know, again I say what the hell would be wrong with a simple adventure editor/creator. Arcanum had one. You don't need a very complex one. Just simple assets and menus. If Stuart Smith and crew could get ACS on board back then, and other games have as well then why the hell not? I find in old games given a little ugly make up like a cheap whore then add some extra content. Some will fuck with it. I guess i better check on the patch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More patches: https://steamcommunity.com/app/875800/discussions/0/1750150188488051505/

v1.04 Available on Beta Branch
Hey all,

v1.04 of the game is now available on the public beta branch (and on the public beta branch of GoG if you're installing via GoG Galaxy).

To access this, right click on the game in your Steam library, select "Properties", then select the "BETAS" tab, and then select "beta" from the dropdown menu.

Please note this is a snapshot build of latest, and hasn't gone through a QA pass at this point.

Cheers
Linds

Improvements:
  • Equipped items are now highlighted in the store, when you are selling items.
  • Added Quicksave feedback on-screen, when F5 is pressed.
  • Added clicking on a Ranger's line on the roster with the mouse, opening up the character stats for that Ranger.
Fixes:
  • Hopeful fix for the crash some users are getting when talking to Faran Brygo. We cannot repro here, but have adjusted some of the settings on that cutscene (it's the largest in the game) to hopefully help the problem. Please let us know!
  • Fix for bug in Luck, Dexterity, Strength and Agility that was affecting the result of combat in Hand-toHand and Ranged combat modes.
  • Fix for bug in Unjam code that would auto-unjam a weapon in certain circumstances.
  • Fix for issues with the item list display, not appropriately displaying the 4th page of items (and a few other issues).
  • Fix to lock out being able to save in combat, when selecting a "run" or "use" direction.
  • Fix for double-movement when using controller. We now have two repeat delays, the first is longer and used only for the first press, the second the same as in previous builds, for the 2nd (and further) repeat. This allows finer control of single click movement (eg when using a climb skill on the rocks in Highpool caves), but still the smooth movement when holding the direction down.
  • Crash fix for when you exit while in combat, while wearing high-level armor and take damage.
  • Crash fix for when an encounter begins, when checking if the encounter is hostile.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/875800/discussions/0/1751276319486619704/

v1.05 Available on Beta Branch
Hey all,

v1.05 of the game is now available on the public beta branch (and on the public beta branch of GoG if you're installing via GoG Galaxy).

To access this, right click on the game in your Steam library, select "Properties", then select the "BETAS" tab, and then select "beta" from the dropdown menu.

Please note this is a snapshot build of latest, and hasn't gone through a QA pass at this point.

Cheers
Linds

Improvements:
  • Scaled up the user stats/combat window popup to improve overall text size for that UI.
  • Joypad now automatically selects the previous item on a page when the current one is deleted.
  • Added level up audio for the .
Fixes:
  • Fix for player stats not being cleaned out when creating a new character, when making a new character later in the game.
  • Selling all items from page 2 (or later) of the shop will now move back to the previous page correctly.

Saduj

Arcane
"Fix for bug in Luck, Dexterity, Strength and Agility that was affecting the result of combat in Hand-toHand and Ranged combat modes."

Two of four created characters would miss both melee attacks every round after I left Highpool. Both have Agility under ten but decent to high stats otherwise. Switched to pistols with no points invested and both were able to reliably hit all enemies through Quartz. Since upgrading weapons, they've also been fine. Pretty shitty bug. Glad they fixed it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/875800/announcements/detail/1699484923775416260

Wasteland Remastered – v1.06 Patch in Final Testing, Beta available now
This Beta preview addresses the most recent issues discovered since launch

Greetings all!

We're in final testing for the newest build (v1.06) of Wasteland Remastered. This update will include all of the improvements and fixes that were previously included in Beta branches v1.02, v1.04, and v1.05.

In the meantime while v1.06 is reviewed, players who would like to check out the latest build can download the Beta by right clicking on the game in your Steam library > select "Properties" > then select the "BETAS" tab > and then select "beta" from the dropdown menu.

Improvements:
  • When you are selling items, equipped items are now highlighted in the store.
  • Added Quicksave feedback on-screen, when F5 is pressed.
  • Added clicking on a Ranger's line on the roster with the mouse, opening up the character stats for that Ranger.
  • Scaled up the user stats/combat window popup to improve overall text size for that UI.
  • Joypad now automatically selects the previous item on a page when the current one is deleted.
  • Added level up audio for the .
Fixes
  • Fix for when the roster would not update; if you tried to create a 5th player character in Ranger Center, it would result in causing the roster to not reflect any damage taken or equipment changed, until you loaded a save game.
  • Added support for ending the player character creation in the Ranger Center, without spending all your skill points.
  • Changed the character name input to supporting Mixed Case display – for player creation in the Ranger Center, and conversation dialogs.
  • Fixed the resolution and language pulldowns not working properly on the main menu.
  • Added support for numpad numerals, if numlock is set, for combat, conversations, etc.
  • Added a level up musical sting based off the original DOS tune.
  • Fixed the player’s name displaying twice in the promotion text.
  • Fixed spacebar closing the character stats, instead of changing to skills, when you were on the items tab.
  • Fixed some focus issues with controls, which were caused by task switching - during combat, or password entry, etc.
  • Fixed the Indian Male and Mexican Male models drifting off their base, when you entered an encounter (which added up over time).
  • Fixed the "background mute" audio option not working until the next launch of the game.
  • Fixed the “fullscreen” option not working until the next launch of the game.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred if you and reloaded the Las Vegas map multiple times.
  • Fixed the distance check for the display of fixed encounter enemies models, for example .
  • Fixes for erroneous rendering of some loot bags and other items, where the game thought you were in a zone different to the one you actually were, when playing with disbanded parties.
  • Fixed the spacing on the price / item headers in the shops.
  • Fixed a bug where the bottom right text log would not scroll to the bottom of the text, after all the conversation from a conversation dialog was added to the text log.
  • Fixed a few places where the combat text wasn’t clearing between actions.
  • Remove the “which way” direction select overlay, if you load a save game while it is on screen.
  • Fixed the crash some users were experiencing when talking to Faran Brygo.
  • Fix for bug in Luck, Dexterity, Strength and Agility that was affecting the result of combat in Hand-toHand and Ranged combat modes.
  • Fix for bug in Unjam code that would auto-unjam a weapon in certain circumstances.
  • Fix for issues with the item list display, not appropriately displaying the 4th page of items (and a few other issues).
  • Fix to lock out being able to save in combat, when selecting a "run" or "use" direction.
  • Fix for double-movement when using controller. We now have two repeat delays, the first is longer and used only for the first press, the second the same as in previous builds, for the 2nd (and further) repeat. This allows finer control of single click movement (eg when using a climb skill on the rocks in Highpool caves), but still the smooth movement when holding the direction down.
  • Crash fix for when you exit while in combat, while wearing high-level armor and take damage.
  • Crash fix for when an encounter begins, when checking if the encounter is hostile.
  • Fix for player stats not being cleaned out when creating a new character, when making a new character later in the game.
  • Selling all items from page 2 (or later) of the shop will now move back to the previous page correctly.

Johnny Fortune

Barely Literate
Pretty awesome to have it in Xbox game pass and the 1$ 3 months account. Already installed :)

4too

Arcane
GOG Quid Pro Quo

For download off line play, only up to 1.01 offered as of this day. 1.06 availaable as a BETA on GOG Galaxy. Can turn off all or most of the possibly intrusive features. Find exe in folder and apparently play off line with out launching the app that requires being on line and monitored.

Still can not reorder SKILLS or ITEMS list with CONTROL+R keying. For UI, apparently could do more with less 30 -40 years ago. IF there was more - then WL would have been a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER according to ''Bethesda Thought'' when FALLOUT was aquired.

I love Big Brother. ;)

4too

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://steamcommunity.com/app/875800/discussions/0/1751276729201139468/

v1.07 Available on Beta Branch
Hi all,

A new patch is now available on the beta branch.
This build has:
  • Added wait/screen clear after the "you have too much on your mind to learn anything" message in libraries.
  • Disabled all scroll in the top right text display except for combat text (fixes scroll glitches).
  • Fix for being able to save during combat if looking at the map
  • Fix for combat glitches if you hit the "h" key at the wrong point; when it should have been locked out.
This build also includes all fixes from v1.06 and earlier as per

Cheers
Linds

https://www.inxile-entertainment.co...teland-remastered-s-composer-edwin-montgomery

Interview with Wasteland Remastered's Composer, Edwin Montgomery

When the original Wasteland was released in 1988, it was the dawn of a new era of roleplaying games. Taking reference from the table-top RPG's of the late-70s and 80s, Wasteland was one of the first games set in a persistent world, where decisions could have long-lasting and permanent effect. It was heralded as novel for its time, and although the game is over thirty years old, its DNA can still be felt in computer role-playing games today.

c84f3a_1406fb19a0814b65bffffec64bd543e5~mv2.webp

In 2014, Wasteland 1 – The Original Classic was released, which was a DOSBox update to help the 1988 game run on more modern systems. It was later patched to add a soundtrack from Edwin Montgomery, who had made and released it as a fan-made mod for the title. On February 25, 2020, the original Wasteland made its return, rebuilt from the ground-up with a new engine, new visuals, audio, and interface. Accompanying the overhauled visuals and updated sound effects, was the haunting soundtrack from Edwin Montgomery, now remastered and expanded upon. Recently, inXile had the chance to reach out to Wasteland Remastered’s composer to chat with him about his work on the soundtrack.

inXile: Thanks for taking the time, Edwin. Tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to be part of the project.

Edwin: Thanks for having me! Well, I guess the short version is that I'm only here at all because I'm a massive fan of Wasteland. Some years back, long before Wasteland 2 was announced on Kickstarter, I wrote some music inspired by the original Wasteland, which as many of you will know, apart from the sound of PC speaker beeps didn’t have a soundtrack. Anyway, I posted the score I wrote on a few gaming forums, and when the "original classic" version was released a while later, inXile contacted me about including my music in that version.

inXile: What is it about Wasteland that originally inspired you? Can you talk about some of your process about how you composed these pieces?

Edwin: I think I first discovered Wasteland just after I finished Fallout 2, and I was obsessed with searching for more post-apocalyptic RPGs to keep me going. After learning that Wasteland was the original inspiration for Fallout, I just had to play it. I was blown away by the depth of the game - despite its primitive graphics - and how absorbed I was in the game world (I was once on tour with a band, and a few times while the rest of the band went out partying after the show, I'd be back in the hotel room playing Wasteland. Sad but true).

inXile: Wasteland Remastered features some additional elements that weren’t previously present in Wasteland: The Original Classic. Were these hold overs from your original work on the game, or were these original tracks that were newly created?

Edwin: When I had the chance to revisit the music for this version of the game, there were a few additions/improvements I wanted to make to some of the tracks in the "original classic" version. One of the new changes is a switch in music for the combat in the game, which we felt could use something with a little more motion and rhythm than I had done previously. And unlike Fallout, the future of Wasteland isn't imagined from a 1950’s perspective, but more of a 1980’s vision of the future — so another element I wanted to bring which was missing from the “original classic” version is more use of pulsing minimal 80’s synths, familiar from dystopian sci-fi films of the 80’s and 90’s from John Carpenter and the like.

inXile: Your style and work are fairly broad in their genres, do you find adapting to different styles is important when it comes to scoring video games?

Edwin: I think the most effective soundtracks, whether you notice them or not, are the ones that really tap into the atmosphere of the game, whether the music might be orchestral, chiptune, abstract ambience, or anything else. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses is good (for example I’m definitely not the composer to go to for a classic chiptune soundtrack), but with film/TV/game scores, it does help to be a little bit of a chameleon in that way.

inXile: Do you have any favorite composers in film and in gaming?

Edwin: It was probably Hans Zimmer that first made me want to write music for films, and many years later I think he still does the occasional score that really knocks it out of the park. Ennio Morricone, Vangelis, Popol Vuh, and Eduard Artemyev are a few of my other favorites from film. In games, it was Mark Morgan’s original soundtrack to Fallout that inspired me to think of creating music for games in the first place. The Mass Effect series (Jack Wall, Sam Hulick and others), Max Payne 3 (Health) and STALKER (MoozE) are some of my 21st century favorites.

inXile: What’s your favorite post-apocalyptic movie?

Edwin: It’s maybe a bit of a stretch to call it post-apocalyptic, but I adore Tarkovsky’s Stalker - it has such a unique and mesmerizing atmosphere, creating a very surreal experience with basically no special effects. More recently, Fury Road was probably one of the most enjoyable experiences I’ve had at the cinema.

inXile: If a nuclear Armageddon overtakes us, do you think hearing your soundtrack blasted across the Wasteland will help ease the pain of existence?

Edwin: Imagining nuclear Armageddon, or the eventual inevitable destruction of all humanity in some form, is pretty much what inspires me to create any kind of art in the first place. So, I sure hope so!

inXile: Thanks again, Edwin! Your work on these tracks really brings Wasteland to life in a wonderfully dark way. It’s safe to say that your soundtrack elevates this RPG classic to new heights.

Wasteland Remastered's OST is now available to stream and purchase on all major digital music platforms. Wasteland Remastered is available now for Xbox One and Windows with Xbox Game Pass, and on Steam and GOG.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I wasn't around for the originals back in the day, but the remastered soundtrack is really impressing me. Real sense of danger and desolation to it.

Saduj

Arcane
Redacted

Edit: deleted comment because I’m not sure if that was a bug or my own idiocy. Was able to load old save and proceed.

Last edited:

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was looking forward to this but without macros experimenting with skills and attributes in the game world, one of the best features, must be insanely tedious. Unless you are a veteran or are using a guide, how do you progress without dying of boredom?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom