Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Anonona

Learned
6 different attack at 6 different target and a 7th attack if the fighter have haste on him, and a 8th attack with bonus action if dual wield or poleweapon master.. also if the fighter is battle master he can perform his manouver during each one of his attack.

That stuff is impossible to do outside of turn based combat.

How is it not possible in RTwP ? You just click on enemy each time you want to change a target and it's only much better, since enemies don't just stand and wait for their turn, while you maul them to death with your 6 attacks.

Or did you just mean that it's impossible to take turns in RTwP ? What a revelation, who would have thought ?

I think he is referring to making all of those actions on a single turn/round, not in multiple turns. That is why he mentions a 7th attack if the fighter has haste and an 8th with the proper bonus action, as those two things increase the amount of possible actions a character can make in a single turn. I guess it could be possible in RtwP if you pause after an enemy's death to allow the player to choose the next target without the enemy attacking. Also most RtwP game are not actually simultaneous even if they look like it, they are still following rounds and initiative, so enemies actions usually do not take effect before you finished your attacks. If we are talking about an hypothetical RtwP system without rounds, then yeah, i think it could work like that.

no vancian magic.

But the game uses the vanician system of magic.

Elex

Arbiter
Save the world from the war between the githyanki and the mind flayers.

The githyanki have targeted your homeworld with an intent to pillage, purge, and destroy it. Believing the world to be tainted by illithids, the githyanki have marked it for destruction. Throughout this campaign the characters get caught between the illithids and the githyanki in a war that spans both this world and many others.
The Coming of the Knight. A githyanki knight riding atop a young red dragon comes to the world to command the githyanki forces who seek to root out and destroy the illithids. Her outpost, a floating citadel of shaped stone, floats above the village of Whitehorn whose residents find themselves enslaved by the knight's githyanki warriors.

The Wrecked Nautiloid. The characters hunt down and locate a wrecked nautiloid, a ship of the illithids. Within it they hear the whispers of the nautiloid host; the former sentience that powered the vast ship. The characters explore the derelict ship hoping to recover a crystal containing something of great significance to the illithids or to scuttle the ship before the illithids can recover it themselves.
https://slyflourish.com/1_to_20_githyanki_campaign.html
i wonder what have inspired that article.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nah, learned my lesson doing that with DOS 2, no way I will waste my money buying the sequel day one.

I wasted my money on D.OS2 too. But was not on launch date. I had like 6 hours and din't got a refund. IDK why youtubers like shadiversity mentions it as "modern baldur's gate" when it is nothing like BG... The game literally has everything that i could hate in a RPG. Slow animations, battles that felt more like puzzles than battles, cooldowns, ultra limited range for weaponry, cartoonish graphics, progression becoming only number inflation(...)

I have more immersion playing Might & Magic VI, with the low res "2.5d" graphics than playing 99% of modern games.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
LDS: larian derangement syndrome
victims of it have gone so insane that they now beg for rtwp games and call D&D trash
I enjoy both good RTwP and good TB, and I've seen shit implementations of either system.

Based on what I've seen from Larian since D:OS1, I expect I'd have more fun with a good RTwP implementation than with whatever they put out.

jackofshadows

Magister
99% of the guys here who is criticizing BG3 will purchase on the first week.
No fucking way I'll support this disgraceful brand exploitation. Probably will try yarrr edition just to feel it myself but that's about it. On a second thought, if it somefuckinghow will turn out all around great game - then I'll buy it maybe even at full price (chance of becoming a great game is laughable slim anyway).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game lacks in enough department that you could say "to each their own" and end up with with a room of people that won't play it. At this point the game lacks any connection to BG games and lore,and old school d&d. The only people that are still left prising the game are people that hated IE and the games made in it. I don't see what is to look forward to in this game,the writing and the lore are broken,there is 4 people party,not isometric,not rtwp,no vancian magic,no day/night cycle,everyone is a bi-faggot romance shit,plastic graphics,etc etc.
For a player who isn't at ease with Larian's decisions and limitations, the only positive news is the 5e ruleset and the turn based combat (personally, I don't think 5e is so dumbed down as other people have said). If that's enough to float your boat, ok.

But for me the rules sytem on its own doesn't guarantee fun combat, much less a fun game.

Xzar

Augur
On a second thought, if it somefuckinghow will turn out all around great game - then I'll buy it maybe even at full price.
The only way that could happen, is if we parade the devs through the corridor of shame, like Cersei Lannister. This is 20x times bigger than Mizhena, who destroyed Beamdog. We're literally in position to dictate everything to them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't like LArian but could you imagine if was modern BioWare who made BG3? Considering the "live services" B$ that EA is into, BG3 would be another WoW clone like neverwinter mmo...

DeepOcean

Arcane
But for me the rules sytem on its own doesn't guarantee fun combat, much less a fun game.
Yes, pretending 5e implementation and TB are enough to guarantee a good game is like going to buy a car and only caring about the motor while the rest of the car is made of rusty iron, aluminum wires and duct tape. Theoretically, it could still work but at some point you start questioning if dealing with all that bullshit to enjoy the good parts is really worthy of your time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't like LArian but could you imagine if was modern BioWare who made BG3? Considering the "live services" B$ that EA is into, BG3 would be another WoW clone like neverwinter mmo...
But that is the question, I dont buy a game because it is isometric, TB or 5e, I buy a game because I enjoy it, if the game sucks, I really dont care if the only alternative would be AAA garbage. I dont buy games to make political statements or support abstract notions like game genres, if the game is fun, I buy it, that is it, the future of RPGs or other nonsense be damned.

Imagine you are married with a super model and she dies, then years later some necromancer dudes decide to ressurect her and wish to sell her to you again and say:
"DeepOcean, yeah, she is a little cold, dont talk, has a strange smell and is kinda purple but she is exactly how she was on the past, true story, give us money. What is your alternative? Fucking Stacy? How are you going to find her vagina on that middle of that 200 pounds ball of fat and skin folds? You better buy our product.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
No fucking way I'll support this disgraceful brand exploitation. Probably will try yarrr edition just to feel it myself but that's about it. On a second thought, if it somefuckinghow will turn out all around great game - then I'll buy it maybe even at full price (chance of becoming a great game is laughable slim anyway).
I feel like if a game isn't worth buying it's not worth playing. If someone's financial situation isn't the greatest then I'm just an idiot but for me at least that's how I feel.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck i am butthurt. That watcher keep level 5 party spawn is whipping my ass bloody. Fuck maybe i should try and lover the difficulty to hard or even core rules.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, pretending 5e implementation and TB are enough to guarantee a good game is like going to buy a car and only caring about the motor while the rest of the car is made of rusty iron, aluminum wires and duct tape
It works for Mad Max, it works for Da Orks, maybe it just works men.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom