Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Modern gaming is shit ...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Remakes have become the new innovation.
It's very telling of the state of the industry that many of these remakes end up being worse than the originals.

I've been recently playing Halo: CE Anniversary Edition on PC, and I'm flabbergasted how much more fun I have with an old consoletard shooter often associated with the decline than with anything newer than Crysis, and also how much more I love the original graphics over the remastered garbage (distracting texture work, disgusting color palette). Am I the only one who prefers the original over remastered graphics?

This is also one of the best selling games on Steam right now. A ~19 years old console shooter. :negative:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While there are still good games being made, pretty much all the genres have stagnated or are being "streamlined" (cool unique and unusual shit removed in favor of more samey, down-cut standardness). The best stuff is just a throwback to the good old days: retro shooters like Dusk, Ion Fury, Amid Evil. They're essentially doing what Quake and Unreal did 20 years ago. They're good at doing that, sure, but they're not adding many new things to the formula.

RPGs are in a similar state. Larger budget titles that end up at least decent are just throwbacks trying to capture the good old days of roughly 1995-2005. Anything Obsidian and inXile does is just an attempt to make a game that is like the classics: Wasteland 2, Torment Numanuma, Pillars, etc etc. Even Outer Worlds was just an attempt to repeat New Vegas, a now 10-year-old game that became a hit due to great quest design and exploration, and despite its shit engine.

With all these games trying to ape the classics, it's natural that we no longer get classics. How many of the classics - both our beloved Codex classics and also games considered classics by the mainstream - just tried to ape other popular titles? Almost none of them. They all did their own unique thing and that was how they became classics.

Baldur's Gate? Big D&D adventure using an RTS engine, made RTwP popular which wasn't a common combat system before. I'm not a fan of RTwP and find the setting to be very bland (especially compared to BG2) but you can't deny that it was innovative.
Diablo? Greatly inspired by roguelikes but combined the formula with real time action gameplay. Had hundreds of copycats. Diablo 2 is by many considered to be the peak of the genre. Pretty much every clone that followed just copied the formula and hoped to reach the same success, while not really changing anything about the approach to gameplay.
Fallout? Revolutonized RPGs with its approach to non-linearity. Turned choices and consequences into a relevant thing.
Half Life? Revolutionized the FPS genre with a more story-centered approach and a coherent world that feels like a real location rather than jumping from disconnected level to disconnected level. It changed the genre for the worse IMO but it's undeniable that it stuck out from the competition back in the day.
Troika's games. All of them. Arcanum, ToEE, Bloodlines. Each takes a different approach to game design, a different focus, and while ToEE is the most traditional of them all it takes a fresh approach to D&D implementation on the PC (gridless movement rather than rigid squares or hexes). Arcanum is Fallout on steroids but different enough to not be a simple attempt at cloning previous successes, Bloodlines is a unique urban fantasy first person RPG and we haven't seen any clones of this up to now.

It's not even about being a milestone in the history of game development. It's just the simple fact that these games tried new things, were okay with taking risks by breaking the mold, weren't afraid of sticking out from the competition by being different. They had an identity. They had a soul.

Today, a lot of games lack that identity. They don't want to stick out from the mass, they want to be indistinguishable from the mass, especially big budget mainstream titles. You don't wanna be too different, oh no, that might put off the consumer who expects certain conventions. And conventions are everywhere, like they're set in stone. And nowadays every Joe and Jill has a Titter and a Fagbook and pesters devs with inane requests. "Please, can we have crafting in this game? All the games I like have crafting so I absolutely NEED crafting in my game or I won't buy. Thanks." And the devs - and especially the publishers - listen to that kind of drivel, and so certain features become convention and turn up in every single game on the market, no matter if the feature actually contributes anything to the gameplay or not.

In the past, we've had games that broke conventions or made changes to the core systems of the genre. The Elder Scrolls games used to have plenty more equipment slots than most other RPGs, making for some nice dressup and item hunting. Nowadays they have the same amount of equipment slots as every single other RPG currently on the market. Helmet, gauntlets, weapon, shield, armor, boots, that's it. Every RPG has the same amount of slots. Most mainstream FPS games limit the amount of weapons you can carry to 2 or 3. Why? Originally it was introduced by Halo because console controllers are worse at weapon selection than PC keyboards, but nowadays it has just become a convention. It's done because that's how everyone does it.

There's such a blind following of convention among big budget games, but it also bleeds down into indie games. We rarely get games that try to innovate, try to do something truly different and unique. Whatever you may think about Disco Elysium, the main reason it became so popular with many people is that it was a breath of fresh air. These devs didn't give a single shit about convention. They went all out and made their own thing and the end result is a game with a distinct identity, a game with a soul.

Who to blame, normie consooomers, or investors and such reducing games to things which much chase maximal profit?
I suspect that there are other elements to this, namely age - I turn 40 this year and I really don't give a shit about videogames anymore. I haven't given the slightest shit about videogames for over a year now - even when I didn't play them as much, I'd still read up on everything related to the industry and keep up to date with developments, etc. Now I just don't care at all.

I'm a huge nostalgiafag and even emulators don't interest me anymore - even cycling roms for a few minutes doesn't do it for me. I think I'm done.

Vatnik Wumao
Well, it's not like you have a choice...
Gotta get busy in the meanwhile, Austrian comrade.

qsfVbh5.jpg

Ash

Arcane
"Modern gaming is shit"

Haven't we been saying this shit since circa 2007? I know I have. Games have been becoming more and more alike one another in style, more and more streamlined, chopped uo into DLC, and good old fashioned game design seems like a lost art.

toro

This may or may not help, but on my radar is:

Hollow Knight: SilkSong
Wrath: Aeon of Ruin
The free spoils of the modding scene
New From Software games
Monomyth
Dying Light 2
Cyberpunk 2077
System Shock remake
Stalker 2
Bloodlines 2
Doom Eternal
Resident Evil 3 remake
Destroy All Humans! Remake
Spelunky 2

Of course my expectations are kept VERY low though. And I don't "follow" the games closely until release, just check in from time to time, so I have no idea why Bloodlines 2 is bad for example.
My list is mostly all ARPGs and action games not because my tastes are narrow, but because the diversity and/or quality of many genres has dwindled.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Multiplayer games are all designed from the ground up to be hyper-competitive e-sports these days, so if you don't like getting screamed at by a bunch of kids because you don't spend 20 hours a day watching pro twitch vods and reading epic meta strategy guides basically all multiplayer games are out, and that's probably like 80% of games being made now.

SP games are mostly awful but sometimes good ones come by that I'll always be fond of.

Old games were mostly bad too but at least the emphasis was normally on having fun, rather than proving you're the best no-life autist to a bunch of dummies

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Haven't we been saying this shit since circa 2007? I know I have. Games have been becoming more and more alike one another in style, more and more streamlined, chopped uo into DLC, and good old fashioned game design seems like a lost art.

Yepppp. (Great list btw.)

Except unlike 2007 we now have an amazing stream of indie titles, many of which actually go out of their way to capture what made older titles fun. AAA games have gone DLC-crazy and keep releasing unfinished products, but it's not like you couldn't avoid them entirely and still have more games than time to play them.

Farewell into the night

Modern gaming is alright, because sometimes a nice game is released and we can still play and enjoy older titles.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Remakes have become the new innovation.
It's very telling of the state of the industry that many of these remakes end up being worse than the originals.

I've been recently playing Halo: CE Anniversary Edition on PC, and I'm flabbergasted how much more fun I have with an old consoletard shooter often associated with the decline than with anything newer than Crysis, and also how much more I love the original graphics over the remastered garbage (distracting texture work, disgusting color palette). Am I the only one who prefers the original over remastered graphics?

This is also one of the best selling games on Steam right now. A ~19 years old console shooter. :negative:

From what I've read and seen the general consensus seems to be the new graphics utterly ruin the lighting and mood of most levels, particularly the flood ones. So you're definitely not alone in that.

Silly Germans

Who to blame, normie consooomers, or investors and such reducing games to things which much chase maximal profit?
I suspect that there are other elements to this, namely age - I turn 40 this year and I really don't give a shit about videogames anymore. I haven't given the slightest shit about videogames for over a year now - even when I didn't play them as much, I'd still read up on everything related to the industry and keep up to date with developments, etc. Now I just don't care at all.

I'm a huge nostalgiafag and even emulators don't interest me anymore - even cycling roms for a few minutes doesn't do it for me. I think I'm done.

I'm afraid i am starting to show symptoms too, last weekend i tried to play something but instead ended up reading books related to my work. The oldies do
trigger my muscle memory but no longer captivate me. I miss the technological innovation that spurred also gameplay evolution and vice versa. I can't recall
any noteworthy novelty in last 15 years of game development, it seems that the "gold rush" is over. The only shiny nuggets that are revealed nowadays
turn out to be cat's gold.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Multiplayer games are all designed from the ground up to be hyper-competitive e-sports these days, so if you don't like getting screamed at by a bunch of kids because you don't spend 20 hours a day watching pro twitch vods and reading epic meta strategy guides basically all multiplayer games are out, and that's probably like 80% of games being made now.

SP games are mostly awful but sometimes good ones come by that I'll always be fond of.

Old games were mostly bad too but at least the emphasis was normally on having fun, rather than proving you're the best no-life autist to a bunch of dummies
Mad Cuz Bad

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I've had a bit of a lull in gaming too recently. I usually go for a long time with nothing to play and then a bunch of things come along all at once, some new games and some old ones I had previously missed. So I have a list of games to play and right now I have basically emptied that list which is sad because now I have nothing :/

But I did have some good fun with some games recently. I just finished Prey which was awesome, it was basically System Shock 3. I also completed a game called Besiege which was good. It can probably be completed in a few days, maybe a week or something, not a huge game, but worth playing. I've also been playing some Arma3 on and off since it released. It is interesting. Next I am gonna try Dominions 5 or Grimoire. I have Dom5 installed but I tried playing it and didn't know what to do so I need to spend some time looking for a tutorial or something and I can't be bothered yet. Play Blackguards if you haven't yet. I've also had the Batman Arkham series installed for about 5 years and I always get bored. I loved Arkham City years ago but I tried the latest one for a few hours and it just didn't grab me. I should try it again sometime.

Black Angel

Arcane
However I remember how before 2018 I was looking forward to Ghost of a Tale, Hyper Light Drifter and Insomnia: The Ark. I had something to look forward.

Now, I have nothing really special to look forward: Cyberpunk will be SJW infested, Baldur's Gate 3 and Bloodlines 2 are bad jokes ... I have over 90 indies on my Steam wishlist. After each release I check reviews/twitch and I simply delete them. The last ones were Curse of the Dead Gods and Longing.

I need something with meat on its bones. Something immersive like SS2, Thief or Gothic. Something created with love by people with brains and hearts. I cannot believe saying this but I miss Dishonored and Prey. As unfulfilling as they were, they had potential and they could have been great with some additional effort.

Also I need to be honest, I somewhat look forward to Elden Rings, Nioh 2, Dying Light 2 and Mount & Blade 2. But neither one of these games will provide the shit I'm craving for. It's like the entire industry went retarded and there are no games marketed towards a more mature audience.

I have 244 hours in Pathfinder Kingmaker but I always give up around Pitax. I did not play a good game since Sekiro. The dry spell is almost one year for me at this point. I really need a good game. That's all.
Colony Ship RPG? Although it's still well a year or longer before 1.0 release.

What about Encased? It's in early access, and from what people are saying it would seem it need a good 1 year at least for a proper 1.0 release, instead of devs estimated 9 months.

There's also Space Wreck and I saw some Codexers comparing it to Space Station 13. The release on Aug 29 seems would be EA and the devs estimate it would be 5-7 months from there for 1.0 release so.... another one with 1 full year before 1.0.

Dang, 2020 looked to be pretty dire, and most people already suggest 2019 was pretty dry despite Sekiro, Underrail: Expedition, and Disco Elysium (my three personal favorites of that year).

But worry not, have you followed the news of Fallout TC mods such as Sonora and Mutants Rising? Sonora is obviously still pretty far from release (and also its English translation), but with how much progress they've made in 2019, I'd estimate a 1.0 release of Mutants Rising some time this year.

But man, I get you. I'm not yet that old, only turning 26 this year, and yet at the moment I'm juggling between Colony Ship RPG combat demo and a.... cheat-altered Mount&Blade: Warband character (1000-stat man). Also Kenshi because my brother just assembled his own brand new PC with the help of our uncle and it's strong enough to run it, but haven't yet got the time because of real-life work and my brother being a bit of a NEET sitting in front of his PC all-day long because it's not his college new semester yet :negative:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
While there are still good games being made, pretty much all the genres have stagnated or are being "streamlined" (cool unique and unusual shit removed in favor of more samey, down-cut standardness).

Streamlining is obviously still an issue, but I feel it's better today than it was 10 years ago, for the most part. When PC genres shifted to Xbox there was a period of drastically dumbing them down for the new console audience, but over the years some of that depth has creeped back in. Shooters have gotten a little more fast-paced again, immersive sims like Dishonored and Prey are pretty solid and stuff like Divinity OS has become pretty popular, despite its genre. The AAA space is still mostly meh of course, but there's a lot of AA incline, especially in the strategy and RPG areas. Then of course there is a single "A" game for everyone out there.

The idea that gaming today is worse than 10 years ago bounces off me pretty hard. Around Xbox 360 launch time I was wondering if I would even be playing new games much longer, but today I have a long list of things I want to get to and replay. It's a much better time, IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom