Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you actually planning to evolve past the quintessential edgyness

No, but keep shitting cinders, Emberbutt :smug:
By the by, edgeface, I wanted to tell you what a complete dumbfuck you were just now, and I wanted to display that all across your profile, but - to my amazement - you seem to be following the Lilura School of Edgeness, and you don't seem to have a public profile.

Now... does my cuck rating make sense or not?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Buried beneath feature bloat there is a fairly decent spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights. But once you take into account that Owlcat had a gigantic boulder of work taken off their shoulders (imported ruleset, premade campaign) and they *still* managed to fuck it up, I ultimately regard PKM as a failure.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kingmaker doesn't suck because of RTwP but because of Kingdom management.

Kingmaker doesn't suck (now) because there were goblins toiling for months on end trying to fix the myriad of bugs present and lifting the shipwreck that game was at launch to something playable.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Kingdom Management was so ludicrous; the fact that you have to spend 7/14 days focusing on only one thing at a time is ridiculous. Together with the various time limits in the game, it was entirely artificial difficulty.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is there anything worth of reading in last 150-200 pages or it is just turd-based retards vs RTWP Master Race?
The Consolidated Codex Consensus Process has arrived at three important conclusions over the last 200 pages:
  • Larian should drop the "III" from the title and simply call the new game "Baldur's Gate", as this is more respectful to its predecessors and will avoid confusion.
  • A day/night cycle is too complicated to add despite it having been part of both real-time and turn-based CRPGs since the 1980s.
  • The group of romanceable companions should be expanded to include a giff.

BXhpmKx.png

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingmaker was able to capture the feel for whatever reason

Not really. Kingmaker's game feel is about as far from IE as PoE was, just in other ways.
I agree. For me the main culprit was the amount of magical items you get. Insane stuff. At about mid-game I felt like every barrel had a +2 weapon.
What BG did well (for me) is how it made the player feel successful when he'd get a good weapon or armor or spell or ability etc
In P:K you are flooded with everything.

That along with the kingdom management and the bland copy-pasted areas are what made the game mediocre for me. Fun combat though most of the time (when you are not fighting the typical filler mobs)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Not really. Kingmaker's game feel is about as far from IE as PoE was, just in other ways.
I agree. For me the main culprit was the amount of magical items you get.

Itemization doesn't have anything to do with game feel ;)

The point Nihilste raises is about how the game handles in your hands, and his point is that PoE didn't capture that RTS-like feeling of fast management and "micro" in the traditional Starcraft-sense of the word, which I agree with. I just don't agree that Kingmaker captures it either. I like both games (though Kingmaker got old faster and I don't think I'll replay it as much), but both have systems that punish movement severely and deliberately make movement sluggish to avoid the insane kiting shennanigans etc. of the IE-games. The price they pay for this expansion of tactical depth is the IE-game's focus on constant movement and kiting-micro. But chiefly, what people mean but can't explain when they say PoE or Kingmaker don't feel like Baldur's Gate is the fact that movement is deliberately sluggish, penalized and as a result combat feels more unwieldly, though you do obviously also gain some benefits i.e. you have to think about how and when to move.

I think I've come to agree with Sensuki on some of these points over time. That is, the primary benefit of real time is the focus on movement and micro, simultaneously avoiding threats while keeping your guys grouped up enough for buff, cleansing, healing or whatever if necessary. If you're gonna make it about having trade-offs to movement, turn-based simply seems like the obvious choice, and I'm fairly certain PoE would have been much better as a turn-based game. Same goes for Kingmaker.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I've come to agree with Sensuki on some of these points over time. That is, the primary benefit of real time is the focus on movement and micro, simultaneously avoiding threats while keeping your guys grouped up enough for buff, cleansing, healing or whatever if necessary. If you're gonna make it about having trade-offs to movement, turn-based simply seems like the obvious choice, and I'm fairly certain PoE would have been much better as a turn-based game. Same goes for Kingmaker.
To all that I can add that there is room for improvement in this style of "micro-intensive RtwP", and the good examples to look to are in a game called Company of Heroes 2 - a game where pausing doesn't even exist outside of single player, which nobody plays. Stuff like bonuses for having party members standing in a certain relation to each other has lots of potential. This is something PKM does too with the teamwork feats.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

The point Nihilste raises is about how the game handles in your hands, and his point is that PoE didn't capture that RTS-like feeling of fast management and "micro" in the traditional Starcraft-sense of the word, which I agree with. I just don't agree that Kingmaker captures it either. I like both games (though Kingmaker got old faster and I don't think I'll replay it as much), but both have systems that punish movement severely and deliberately make movement sluggish to avoid the insane kiting shennanigans etc. of the IE-games. The price they pay for this expansion of tactical depth is the IE-game's focus on constant movement and kiting-micro. But chiefly, what people mean but can't explain when they say PoE or Kingmaker don't feel like Baldur's Gate is the fact that movement is deliberately sluggish, penalized and as a result combat feels more unwieldly, though you do obviously also gain some benefits i.e. you have to think about how and when to move.

Is pathfinder better suited for TB than RtwP? Of course!

Would kingmaker be better as TB? Hell no! It would have been fucking unbearable the way it's currently designed.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Is pathfinder better suited for TB than RtwP? Of course!

Would kingmaker be better as TB? Hell no! It would have been fucking unbearable the way it's currently designed.
A lot of people in here claim that the game is much better with the TB mod. Plus the new game from the devs will have a TB mode option btw

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom