Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

ADL

Prophet
Is there a good class if you want to hit / shoot / cast slowly but each attack is powerful and meaningful? I'm a few hours in and so far I'm finding the whole experience unbearably tedious, it feels like each fight is simply trading mosquito bites until the enemy dies.
Nope, if we're doing a veteran dungeon/trial (12 man raid) and I see you're not animation cancelling, I'm kicking you. I'm not happy about it either.

Norfleet

The first solution could include changes like adding commas and the like to large numbers. We could also compress all of those 1000s to Ks and all of those 1,000,000s to Ms, much like we do with boss health today. Internally, we have been calling this the “Mega Damage solution” because instead of your Fireball hitting for 6,000,000 damage, it would hit for 6 MEGA DAMAGE
I once played a MUD that actually had a "mega damage" mechanic. Human characters had "regular damage". Large-scale things like tanks had "mega" damage. Punching another human with your fist would do something like 10 regular damage. Getting rammed by a tank did like 1-2 mega damage, which, if this happened to you as a squishy human, meant you DIED INSTANTLY from sustaining 1-2 bajillion HP damage. You punching the tank with your fist for regular damage did absolutely nothing to it. You shooting the tank with your machinegun for a few hundred regular damage...did absolutely nothing to it. There was even giga-damage, for truly massive things, like if the tank fires its tank cannon for a few hundred mega-damage at the Star Cruiser, fuck all happened, but if the Star Cruiser nuked the tank from orbit with its ion cannon for 10 giga damage, the tank was vaporized. There was even tera damage, but nothing players had access to normally caused this, and damage on this scale was typically reserved for things like collisions between stellar objects or supernovas and resulted in things like planets getting destroyed.

Squid

Arbiter
Because, like I said, inflation.
Well maybe they should stop overprinting numbers. These idiots obviously don't understand how to run a good economy. The number gap between the upper class and the middle and lower class has grown too large. Did you know that 1% of players have 44% of the numbers? SHARE THE NUMBERS! THE PROLETARIAT SHOULD HAVE MORE CONTROL OF THE NUMBERS!

ADL

Prophet
Skyrim 2 Online

Considering ZOS handles the Elder Scrolls property infinitely better than Bethesda does themselves, I'm intrigued.

Humanophage

Arcane
I decided to drop it a few months ago because the queuing system for battlegrounds doesn't really work, and they are constantly revamping it to make it even worse. The queues are positively Soviet, you had to wait 10 minutes just to get into a match (which lasts about 15 minutes or less).

This is a shame because battleground PvP is very fun, as I pointed out earlier in the thread. It has a kind of Unreal Tournament dynamism about it, but with an impressive variety of character customisation and theory-crafting.

I don't think the big numbers matter particularly. They are not quite meaningless as they are in e.g. DOS2 because they actually grow lower as you level up due to the bizarro scaling system. E.g., the normal health pool at max level is about 20k, whereas at lower levels it often goes up to 30-35k.

Your health is generally about 20-25k, a regular strike is about 2-3k, a very powerful strike is about 10k no matter the level, 50k is about instant death no matter the level unless you are specifically focused on having a huge health pool to the detriment of everything else, etc. The larger numbers make it easier to follow small incremental changes in your equipment that add-up (e.g., 10,450 vs 10,600). You die almost instantly in champion-level PvP unless you stick with the team (leading to 4-man blob-like parties).

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Vampire skill line changing drastically has pretty dumb changes, namely that it's extremely Stamina unfriendly and has that fucking accursed "health is a resource" mechanic. Then there's things like how your abilities cost more the higher up in stages you go, because nothing makes dicks harder than having clunky and slowed down gameplay. Seems like a big miss of a rework and having it be heavily Magicka focused will completely kill a lot of builds.

Codex Year of the Donut
Vampire skill line changing drastically has pretty dumb changes, namely that it's extremely Stamina unfriendly and has that fucking accursed "health is a resource" mechanic. Then there's things like how your abilities cost more the higher up in stages you go, because nothing makes dicks harder than having clunky and slowed down gameplay. Seems like a big miss of a rework and having it be heavily Magicka focused will completely kill a lot of builds.
it was magicka focused already
werewolf was the stamina one

Generic-Giant-Spider

Werewolf is "stamina" as long as you're actually in the form, it's dead passives otherwise.

Vampire was good for magicka and stamina alike because of the 10% stamina/magicka recovery and the passive that allowed you to bypass some of the health recovery penalties in certain stages. Now with this rework there's little incentive to go stamina as a vampire since almost all the passives are geared towards magicka and the regular ability cost penalty the higher up in stages you are doesn't seem worth it. Pretty fail rework overall.

jackofshadows

Magister
how did you like it Rus?
In short - if you're not into PvP then I guess just forget about it. I'm more a PvE guy myself and get bored relatively quickly (few months).

Now, to be fair there're some suprizingly decent quests (involving Sheogorath for instance), especially if you at least remotely care for TES lore but they're simply not worth overall time.

And I have to say that I played before Morrowind exp so things may have changed over this time quite a lot.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For a while now I've been tempted to try a MMORPG, first time in my life. After perusing the interwebz I've settled on either WoW or ESO, mainly because they're by far the most populated ones right nao. I just want to confirm a few things.

The ESO business model looks like a clusterfuck for a newcomer, I'm not sure what I'm getting with what.

1. If I buy the basic bitch version I don't get any of the additional content for free, correct?
2. If I buy the latest expansion I get ALL the other content with it, correct?
3. If I join the Plus subscription I also get ALL the content, plus some other benefits that are not available in any other way, correct?
4. Also to join the Plus service I actually have to buy the basic game first?
5. If I cancel the subscription I'll loose...what exactly?
6. What is the community like, generally bros or assholes?
7. Can I get an accurate picture about the game just from the basic bitch version or are the later expansions light years better?

Cheers.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
For a while now I've been tempted to try a MMORPG, first time in my life. After perusing the interwebz I've settled on either WoW or ESO, mainly because they're by far the most populated ones right nao. I just want to confirm a few things.

The ESO business model looks like a clusterfuck for a newcomer, I'm not sure what I'm getting with what.

1. If I buy the basic bitch version I don't get any of the additional content for free, correct?
2. If I buy the latest expansion I get ALL the other content with it, correct?
3. If I join the Plus subscription I also get ALL the content, plus some other benefits that are not available in any other way, correct?
4. Also to join the Plus service I actually have to buy the basic game first?
5. If I cancel the subscription I'll loose...what exactly?
6. What is the community like, generally bros or assholes?
7. Can I get an accurate picture about the game just from the basic bitch version or are the later expansions light years better?

Cheers.

Imma try.

1. The Elder Scrolls Online Standard Edition now includes the Morrowind expansion, which are called Chapters for some reason, on top of the base game itself.
2. The Elder Scrolls Online - Elsweyr oddly enough includes the base game and three previous expansions (Morrowind, Summerset and Elsweyr). DLC still needs to be bought separately.
3. ESO Plus does NOT include Chapters aka expansions and you still need to buy those. Yeah, it comes with benefits like the unlimited crafting bag you can't otherwise get.
4. Yes. ESO Plus will not give you the base game for the sub price.
5. Already mentioned crafting bag and access to DLC as such. Check out for yourself, though.
6. Subjective shit as always, but I get the impression it's divided between the fashion wars crowd and people who wanted more TES so they'll contend with it being online.
7. For the most part. Annoying part is the DLC which you have to buy separately. Some are just glorified, low-effort dungeon packs, but locking the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild behind a paywall is scummy.

I hope I didn't get anything major wrong with the way they kept bundling Chapters and base game as more of the former was released.

Last edited:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
The DLC are massively overpriced, but the full game (with expansions) can be had for a decent price when on sale.

You'll miss out on some dungeons, but that's pretty much all the dlc offer.

If you want the DLC content you could just subscribe to Plus and get it with.

The biggest benefit of Plus, for my personal play style, is the crafting bag. But if you're far enough in the game you'll have a massive inventory in any case. They sometimes give a free month of Plus and that's a good time to move all the ingredients you've acquired into the bags.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks bros. In the end I did go for ESO. WoW is apparently getting a new expansion that will change stuff a lot, especially for new players, and if it was coming like this week I'd go for WoW. But it's probably coming in August and I don't wanna wait.

I grabbed the base game for 7 bucks from GG but holy sweet jesus this game has 130 GB. This shit will take a whole day to download.

Also are ya'll still active, in case I need some info or help?

ADL

Prophet
Thanks bros. In the end I did go for ESO. WoW is apparently getting a new expansion that will change stuff a lot, especially for new players, and if it was coming like this week I'd go for WoW. But it's probably coming in August and I don't wanna wait.

I grabbed the base game for 7 bucks from GG but holy sweet jesus this game has 130 GB. This shit will take a whole day to download.

Also are ya'll still active, in case I need some info or help?
I'm on hiatus until they overhaul the endgame progression system (Champion Points) but just post here if you have any questions. Make sure you download some UI addons. It's easier to learn the game with the addons you're gonna use from the start versus later.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Make sure you download some UI addons.
Anything in particular?

Also questions so far:
- Loot is instanced for all players, correct? So no stealing and fighting over loot like in WoW?
- Is the game scaled to your level in any way? Been playing for a few hours, ran around a few places and haven't died once (level 5 now). "'Hardest" fight was a lich with some adds I met in a forest. Soloed it all, my health didn't even drop under half. So what's up with that?

ADL

Prophet
Make sure you download some UI addons.
Anything in particular?

Also questions so far:
- Loot is instanced for all players, correct? So no stealing and fighting over loot like in WoW?
- Is the game scaled to your level in any way? Been playing for a few hours, ran around a few places and haven't died once (level 5 now). "'Hardest" fight was a lich with some adds I met in a forest. Soloed it all, my health didn't even drop under half. So what's up with that?

Just browse Minion and see what you like. AUI and Action Duration Reminder are mandatory imo
Yes instanced loot but you can trade within party.
Entire game is scaled because you're scaled to the horizontal progression gear cap of CP160 so you actually get less powerful as you level up if you don't use food buffs and whatnot. It gets extremely easy once you hit the champion point cap of 810 which is why I'm taking a break, the power creep is insane.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Entire game is scaled because you're scaled to the horizontal progression gear cap of CP160

Wait, so I can go right now and join a endgame dungeon raid and there will be no difference between me and the players with maxed out, pimped out characters?

So the only point of levelling is to unlock and play with new skills? But those skills won't have any real impact on your gameplay because you can always take on any content on any level? Uh...am I missing something here?

Mud'

Scholar
Wait, so I can go right now and join a endgame dungeon raid and there will be no difference between me and the players with maxed out, pimped out characters?

So the only point of levelling is to unlock and play with new skills? But those skills won't have any real impact on your gameplay because you can always take on any content on any level? Uh...am I missing something here?

No, the scaled stuff is in the world, in dungeons you will get your shit pushed in hard, if not by the monsters, then by the players themselves.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

No, the scaled stuff is in the world, in dungeons you will get your shit pushed in hard, if not by the monsters, then by the players themselves.
That's all fine but I've spent 6 hours running around the world just melting everything, even big, dangerously looking mobs and it was fun...for those few hours. But if the entire quest content, that could take dozens or hundreds of hours, is just like that....jesus.

I actually like almost everything about the game - the chardev, the loot, the vibe (shit looks great for a 2012 game), the combat is fine for its genre, music and lore are great. But the scaling is killing me mang, it ruins my motivation to even do anything. God that's such a downer.

ADL

Prophet
I'm annoyed by the progression too. They took a half measure instead of either gutting leveling entirely or removing the 1-50 experience entirely. Instead of just starting everyone at level 50 within the Champion Point system working their way towards the gear cap of CP160 which would serve as a nice tutorial and slowly towards the CP810 cap, it's a completely unnecessary 1-50 leveling system in addition to the CP10-160 experience and CP160-810. Also by the time you're CP500 you'll be one shotting the overwhelming majority of mobs and by CP810 you'll be a demigod that only gets killed in raids and by world bosses due to passive tree power creep.

The game was better before the One Tamriel update. Don't get me wrong I appreciate that every bit of content in the game is viable but that doesn't mean it has to be a snooze fest difficulty-wise. Now everything's too easy and the only challenging content you'll ever find is in raids or veteran dungeons. Craglorn (and even Murkmire which was in development hell for years) used to be an "adventure zone" where the overworld was basically a massive veteran tier dungeon difficulty-wise and group play was mandatory but now like every other zone in the game. Piss easy and the only shit you'll die to are world bosses there.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The game was better before the One Tamriel update. Don't get me wrong I appreciate that every bit of content in the game is viable but that doesn't mean it has to be a snooze fest difficulty-wise. Now everything's too easy and the only challenging content you'll ever find is in raids or veteran dungeons. Craglorn (and even Murkmire which was in development hell for years) used to be an "adventure zone" where the overworld was basically a massive veteran tier dungeon difficulty-wise and group play was mandatory but now like every other zone in the game. Piss easy and the only shit you'll die to are world bosses there.

Which was always weird to me because community apparently celebrated One Tamriel update. Then again, most had no problems with Oblivion's aggressive level scaling ether so that just may be the audience we're looking at here. Cruising through game without any setbacks could be exactly what they're looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom