Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon's Gate - open world seafaring tactical RPG from Voidspire Tactics dev

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
great game. so addicting. played around and it's suudenly almost 4 hours playtime and almost midnight

:shredder:

Machocruz

Arcane
Pretty cool so far. Eldiran , would you say your influences run more towards the JRPG side? If so, this is JRPG influence done right. Compare to something like Battle Chasers, which is just a gussied up version of a SNES JRPG, with the same stymied, limited combat of everyone standing on one side of the field, no movement/positioning. Your games take it forward, expanding and deepening systems, as Japan should have done (I talking about their traditional RPGs, not their tactics/SRPGs). JRPGs being far more popular at one point, a different example could have been set for the world and maybe we wouldn't have heard some of the bullshit against TB combat that we have from people whose only experience had been Final Fantasies, Dragon Quests, and other menu-based, overly simplistic systems.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
I'm about 4 hours in so far too, and I can't go into depth right now, but just wanted to say kudos to Eldiran. You've managed to exceed my expectations with this release in almost every way, and somehow made a game that improves foundationally upon Voidspire and Alvora in almost every way. I know as I get further, there will probably be elements from both of those prior titles that I miss, but overall it seems like you've totally nailed what you were going for with the spirit of freedom and grand exploration in Horizon's Gate. Like HoboForEternity, I'm addicted and just want to keep playing more.

I wanted to urge everyone here who ends up enjoying it in their first 5-10 hours of play to drop a steam review to help support the game and give it more visibility. It is a crime against RPGs and Tactical gaming that this game (and the past titles) doesn't have more exposure. It annoyed me greatly that the day it was released, it wasn't even displayed on the steam "New Release" list. Some terrible algorithm totally fucks over these great indie titles.

Empary

Scholar
Stuck on last boss, I really hate trainers, sailing is too slow, combat encounters and environment arent diverse enough. Trading is simple, Combat in general is fun, but you could shake up class-system bit more. For now is solid 7/10, maybe think about DLCs or some patches.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Not that it matters the slightest but there may be a bug with the extra iron chunks you would get from digging inside fossil area with a shovel, what happens is weird and hard to describe but eventually I never manage to get them (no problem with those you pick without digging).

I was disappointed I couldn't create a small crew at the beginning instead of a single Special One. That said there's not much impact on the gameplay and so far not much impact on the writing either so it should be fine.

For the rest I'm loving the game, craving for gold and choosing what to buy first, crawling through interactive environment and digging through one more suspect spot and eventually finding a rare gem to sell, spending time on characters' sheet to slowly build a fun party and fighting against interesting groups of enemies, often using the environment as well, or taking note to come back later when I have any chance to beat them and fullfilling some mercenary type quests for some more gold in the way.

The game is a damn good party adventuring simulator, exactly the kind of game I like. I like the music by the way.

Jinn

Arcane
Can anyone tell me how to push or move small crates? Whenever I try to, it just opens them. It even says in their "look" information that small crates can be pushed. Anyone help me with this?

Jinn

Arcane
Eldiran, if you happen to be around and see this, the small crate I can't move is in front of the small cottage door at the "Abandoned Hovel" location.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eldiran, if you happen to be around and see this, the small crate I can't move is in front of the small cottage door at the "Abandoned Hovel" location. It's a broken crate.
where you fight the crab people outside right ? yeah, i got it last night, i definitely can push it to the side. you get some beer inside and some trading goods.

Jinn

Arcane
where you fight the crab people outside right ? yeah, i got it last night, i definitely can push it to the side. you get some beer inside and some trading goods.

Yep, that's the one. I'll go try again right now to double check.

EDIT: Yeah, went back and nothing I do can manage to make the crate move.

Last edited:

Empary

Scholar
No postgame? Missed oportunity. And new game + races are same as previous titles.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Pretty cool so far. Eldiran , would you say your influences run more towards the JRPG side? If so, this is JRPG influence done right. Compare to something like Battle Chasers, which is just a gussied up version of a SNES JRPG, with the same stymied, limited combat of everyone standing on one side of the field, no movement/positioning. Your games take it forward, expanding and deepening systems, as Japan should have done (I talking about their traditional RPGs, not their tactics/SRPGs). JRPGs being far more popular at one point, a different example could have been set for the world and maybe we wouldn't have heard some of the bullshit against TB combat that we have from people whose only experience had been Final Fantasies, Dragon Quests, and other menu-based, overly simplistic systems.

Thanks! I'd say the main influences are: Final Fantasy Tactics, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, Ultima VII, Morrowind, Zelda. So about half JRPG, half WRPG.

Where's the Warpblade and Shiftcloak trainer? I'm pretty sure one of them is inside Tsavor. There's a trainer's house surrounded by poles. I assumed you need to warp/teleport into it. Where's the other one?

You should be able to find it if you look at all the ports' tooltips and go to any with a 'trainer' icon that doesn't have a checkmark.

If that doesn't work and you're still stuck, there's a trainer location guide up now.

I'm about 4 hours in so far too, and I can't go into depth right now, but just wanted to say kudos to Eldiran.

Thanks! : ) And yes, Steam reviews are super helpful.

Stuck on last boss, I really hate trainers, sailing is too slow, combat encounters and environment arent diverse enough. Trading is simple, Combat in general is fun, but you could shake up class-system bit more. For now is solid 7/10, maybe think about DLCs or some patches.

Patches with new content are definitely planned.

Eldiran, if you happen to be around and see this, the small crate I can't move is in front of the small cottage door at the "Abandoned Hovel" location.

I'll look into this. I should probably put something non-interactive like a boulder there instead since I guess opening the crate eats the double-click inputs.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
szW0BVP.png
PkWh0hh.png

cmL4huX.png
AX14qCj.png

With such a good engine there's always a way.

What's funny is that the monsters here used wind and as it worked to push the barrel I ulitmately thought that it was actually a hint that you were meant to use it.

Last edited:

Pocgels

Scholar
Awesome. Probably would've gone months without knowing this was out if I hadn't seen this thread. Voidspire is in my top 3 games of all time so I guess I'll be getting this tomorrow

Ent

Savant
Do the Ravagers moves scale with Ruin skill or is it just physical and magical attack?

Richard Leaks

Educated
Do the Ravagers moves scale with Ruin skill or is it just physical and magical attack?
On the top right of the tool tip for the skill there's a row of icons that show what skills affect it. So quake is affected by weapons skill and strength, while ruinshock is affected by weapons and ruin skill, strength and magic power.

Jinn

Arcane
I impulse bought the game because of jinn and hobo, so congrats eldiran, you beat up ori 2 and took his lunch money

Hope you like it, man. I think if you're drawn to it just on premise (exploration, character building, tactical combat), you probably will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom