Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why don't we have more D&D games?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
FR was pretty fantastic in the earlist of days. Some of us were also lucky to get Judges Guild and Role-aides products that sort of competed with TSR. I wonder if they were more prevalent in the UK though like White Dwarf. Maybe the town i lived in just sucked.

There were some other games That combine blobber with tactical (warriors of the Eternal Sun for Genesis, Order of the Griffin for Turbo Grafx). These would be the few that take place in Mystara and the Hollow World utilizing the Mentzer ruleset (or Rules Cyclopedia).

Old editions are dead except for enthusiasts. It'd be folly to not use the 5e ruleset when its hot in gamers hands of today. Grogs grumble regardless.

J1M

Arcane
But why won't WotC just create their own game, in their own internal studio? Would it be too expensive, too risky? I mean, there are plenty of folks eager to try this whole "D&D thing", but it's difficult to find your own fellow neckbeards to play with. I dunno, I think that *proper* D&D MMO would be a killer, financially speaking. Or am I tripping?
During 4e development they hired some programmers to create a virtual tabletop program. The feature set was actually pretty decent. Unfortunately, before it was finished the main developer murder-suicided himself and the software was never completed.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You know, the idea of such software started with SSI Dungeon Madter's Assistant vol 1&2 for 1st ed. 2e received Core Rules 1, 2 & expansion with WOTC online support and necro handbook and tons of xpt abd xpx files people submitted. There was the Dragon Magazine Archives up to issue 250. And, since Campaign Cartographer was pretty hot you could get the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas that was compatible with CC.

3e started with a demo character disk that was supposed to get a full version or modular updates that Monkey sonethk g industries took over. It flopped. I have the base program working and its a pity it wasn't fully developed like Core Rules was or even just finished. Hell a pathfinder add-on would have been nice and 3.5.

4e i wondered about.

i guess there are 5e products. Plenty of people try to make their own CORE RULES type programs which is neat. Our own resident Grid Cartographer by David Walters is a fantastic product.

Elex

Arbiter
You know, the idea of such software started with SSI Dungeon Madter's Assistant vol 1&2 for 1st ed. 2e received Core Rules 1, 2 & expansion with WOTC online support and necro handbook and tons of xpt abd xpx files people submitted. There was the Dragon Magazine Archives up to issue 250. And, since Campaign Cartographer was pretty hot you could get the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas that was compatible with CC.

3e started with a demo character disk that was supposed to get a full version or modular updates that Monkey sonethk g industries took over. It flopped. I have the base program working and its a pity it wasn't fully developed like Core Rules was or even just finished. Hell a pathfinder add-on would have been nice and 3.5.

4e i wondered about.

i guess there are 5e products. Plenty of people try to make their own CORE RULES type programs which is neat. Our own resident Grid Cartographer by David Walters is a fantastic product.
For 5e D&D beyond is going to slowly add feature and gradually become a complete D&D tools with time.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
When the machine /program does most the work we don't really need exact table top game mechanics..... unless you're going to transfer from game to table.

Small note: old Dunjonquest games like Temple of Apshai allowed you to type in any value for stats and basic magical gear. Its more or less fighter orientated game though (no priest, mage, rogue).

FR never bloody well had the gravitas that Greyhawk had/has. I'm still part of a Greyhawk campaign that has been ongoing since the early 1980s, still using original 1E source material. Ohlen's new game studio looks intriguing although it will probably never give me that Spelljammer title I never got from SSI years ago.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
D&D is pretty niche,also we do have quite a lot of D&D games,but they are old

There are more people playing video games than ever, surely the market would be larger now?
Well rpg fans are like 1% lol. There is billion people playing games,but rpgs sell between million or two. RPGs are more of a upper class entertainment,but unlike in the other markets you can't milk 1000 bucks for a single luxury product.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
SSI early games had other games with similar stat structures.

I don't think I grinded those old games hard to max levels though i did sort of hex edit a few on c64 but that destroyed some disks (had to reformat). Those fastload cartidges had fun utilities. T-menu was fun to put little games into menu structure to load off one floppy. Neat shit.

sort of like this one..

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
2014- (1 game)
Sword Coast Legends (2015)
Bro, you forgot Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms. How could you forget something of such glorious incline in D&D games?
YxXP0EU.png

Everyday we stray further from god

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
RPGs are more of a upper class entertainment,but unlike in the other markets you can't milk 1000 bucks for a single luxury product.
We need more post-Soviet oligarchs like Margus Linnamäe to fund RPGs. :obviously:
Well we did get a few good gems that way. Disco,kingmaker,kingdom come....maybe even uderrail and most likely CDprojectred was made that way.

Dramart

Learned
Why don't we have more IE games? That engine still can make a lot of great games. They should've made at least three more games with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom