Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt already working on their next RPG - possibly set in Witcher universe but not Witcher 4

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The magic system in the Witcher games is boring as shit and honestly I can't think of a single game mechanic in that series that I do like. Kind of sad to see them return to it when I feel like they have a lot of potential to make great games. I always told myself that I thought the Witcher games sucked because of the source material but maybe it's just cdpr

just

Liturgist
it's time for demarcus of zerrikania, the black panther

wv4rte5bl9711.png

it would be extremely based, especially if it's set in the south
would buy

Naraya

Arcane
If they want to make new Witcher game, do they have to update the licence with Sapkowski ?
Or do whatever they want?
I'm sure they hashed that out under the table with the settlement.
That's what most likely happened. From the article:

Nawiązano również do ugody zawartej niedawno z Andrzejem Sapkowskim. Szef CD Projektu zapewnia, że w stosunkach z pisarzem „nastąpił zwrot o 180 stopni” i doszło do „scementowania” relacji - nie tylko na papierze.

He also mentioned the recent settlement with Andrzej Sapkowski. CD Projekt director ensures that relation with the writer has taken a 180 degree turn and is now more firm than ever, not only on paper.

typical user

Arbiter
Working as having artists create concept arts, designers poking around different ideas and pre-production by people not invested with CP2077.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Only thing I hope is that they do not go the route of Cyberpunk and make him a blank slate, but rather continue the tradition of a preset character.

Key word. No more (white)women 2020.

Quillon

Arcane
The most obvious choice is a game with Ciri, her ability to travel across worlds has so much potential.

But I would prefer to have a game where you choose who you play as, aka a full-blown character creation system.

Yeah its the most obv choice but I hate the universe hopping aspect of Ciri, very anticlimactic to Witcher universe.

If its gonna be preset protag it'll be Ciri, and unless they make normal human protag its the only feasible way to play as female, sorceress-adventurer wouldn't work in this universe. Otherwise it'll be create your own witcher; they wouldn't dare make another preset witcher after Geralt.

Vatnik Wumao
I generally dislike female protagonists and even more so mary sues like Ciri. If it will have a female protagonist, then it better be someone like Meve or I won't buy the game.

Quillon

Arcane
I generally dislike female protagonists and even more so mary sues like Ciri. If it will have a female protagonist, then it better be someone like Meve or I won't buy the game.

Neither do I but its the easiest way to avoid twitter flak :P Either it'll be Ciri or they'll give choice somehow akin to CP77.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The magic system in the Witcher games is boring as shit and honestly I can't think of a single game mechanic in that series that I do like. Kind of sad to see them return to it when I feel like they have a lot of potential to make great games. I always told myself that I thought the Witcher games sucked because of the source material but maybe it's just cdpr

The thing all three succeed at is story and atmosphere, honestly. Pretty much every other aspect is done much better in other series.

Gerrard

Arcane
The whole reason behind that inane "announcement" was CDPR's stock dropping like a rock, losing almost 30% in a week.
Do I have to remind you that a few years back they claimed they would release TWO games by 2020?

Tytus

Arcane
The whole reason behind that inane "announcement" was CDPR's stock dropping like a rock, losing almost 30% in a week.
Do I have to remind you that a few years back they claimed they would release TWO games by 2020?

Well they were not wrong. They had Thronebreaker that was pretty much a failure and now they have Cyberpunk 2077.
But you probably meant two AAA games. But if I remember correctly they said they want to release one AAA game and a one smaller game in between. Maybe they changed their mind later on and said something different, but don't remember anything right now.

Vatnik Wumao
Well they were not wrong. They had Thronebreaker that was pretty much a failure
You are operating under the false assumption that it was anything more than an advertisement for Gwent in standalone format and a way to test the waters if such a RPG & card game hybrid could work. It was never meant to reach the sales of TW3 and the like.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Two AAA games in 5 years, along with the TW3 expansions, is way too much to expect from a studio their size. At least, AAA open world RPGs. I'm sure they meant an additional smaller game.

Their stock is going down because the Cyberpunk delay puts it into a more competitive Holiday period with new consoles coming out, and analysts love to earn their salaries by pointing shit like that out with a concerned tone. However I doubt it really matters, because the hype for the game is strong enough to withstand the delay, there's not a ton of shit flooding the market anyway, and most people won't have new consoles (plus it will run on them enhanced anyway, making it basically function also as a launch game).

Gerrard

Arcane

Well they were not wrong. They had Thronebreaker that was pretty much a failure and now they have Cyberpunk 2077.
But you probably meant two AAA games. But if I remember correctly they said they want to release one AAA game and a one smaller game in between. Maybe they changed their mind later on and said something different, but don't remember anything right now.
They said two "big" games and one "small". Clearly Thronebreaker was not a "big" game, otherwise I don't know what their standard for a small one would be.

Also, if anyone at the studio happens to catch Corona-chan they will have to close down for at least 2 weeks. I'm sure that won't affect the release date or the stock price.

Technomancer

Liturgist
They are going to do their original vision after all this time. The prototype of the first witcher featured custom player character instead of Geralt.

Gerrard

Arcane
Making a game where you create your own witcher and set some 100 years before the events of the books would be the creative thing to do. So they won't do that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom