Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
yup, kv-1's and tiger 1's will easily fall prey to that

turkishronin

Arcane
ES2c1u0XkAIx28v

Beowulf

Arcane
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

26A71FF5F942C10EE591E86CF268982AD5CFFB73

It's quite crowded today in hell.
5239CD0B45D9F51A152772D144718E5E2087E9CE

EA7DB1817F6026AB3096C0572863D375848A00DE

3EF39373FA3A758313FB88B6A6B20A0C4F1E920C

3ABBC5484AE123D8471B4434A9C169876EE0C925

322A4D4712542B61124E2629D5AE05261CBAB3FA

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Spruce Goose

I heard this runs like shit. Does it?

I have a pretty old rig, but it runs decently. Sure, with big hordes and a lot lights flickering there are some slowdowns, but nothing that would hinder my ejoyment.
But if you are one of those people that declares a game unplayable and unoptimized when it dips below 100 FPS than it you might consider it running like shit.

The screenshots don't convey how gorgeous the game looks in motion and how atmospheric it is. It also has some amazing attention to detail.
Besides, you can see your own legs and that means that golden requirements for good FPS game are fulfilled.
May the Emperor protect your legs.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
time for more:

i'm a little.. too close for comfort here with this karl-gerat mortar (sudden strike 3)

6B60666298B5E7151B0639DA797170CA1E19F995

what's wrong with your LEGS buddy (eve of destruction redux)

EB3C16741A130E5BD012075E9EE58A0FF563514B

breaking the third wall in a fan translation for a stalker mod? why, i'd never (return of scar mod for STALKER: shadow of chernobyl)

ACC2968F83D02BA893C1A11413F17FA3445757CC

the most feared man in the wehrmacht (easy red)

9FEB739DE134A58D142CE73004688B35661ADF7F

two guards living out their absorption vore fetish (kingdom come: deliverance)

C3DF2B388456F41EE26B368235E1EAA459566370

What the hell!?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
YjeTNWN.jpg

TjivUdX.jpg

j34mcO0.jpg

r9kaxZn.jpg

qBbxmFN.jpg

Took a insane long time but i've unlocked Me 262 on Warthunder. Amazing plane. His 50mm cannon can nuke most fighters in a single shot(but overheats easily), tried to reach mach 1 on the test flight but even by dropping from 9500m at 30º into the ground, i din't even reached 90% of sound speed. Even without the upgrades, the plane is extremely fast and climbs fast, the unique problem is that is too hard to get used to non jet fighters.

On 23 May 1943, Galland flew an early prototype of the Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighter. After the flight, he described his experience; "It was as though angels were pushing " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Galland

Wunderbar

Arcane
ewW9vyH.jpg

Daikatana with 1.3 patch.

Just finished the first episode. Sidekicks' pathfinding, while still not perfect, is drastically improved upon original - so far those two morons got stuck only two times. Because of that i'm actually running with them instead of asking them to wait and then clearing the whole map by myself like i did on my first playthrough.

ws61HYN.jpg

mRf6Pv6.jpg

NSUhVqO.jpg

TJltL9m.jpg

dwcbVJp.jpg

DSgdvMX.jpg

7E8667i.jpg
uploading the rest of my daikatana screenshots.

Greece
Features best set of levels in the game (Acropolis, where you must collect five stone plates hidden around a huge interconnected network of caverns and temples). Unfortunately, most of your weapons are kinda crap, and for half of episode you're stuck fighting fast flying enemies with a slow and unreliable projectile-based venomous staff. It becomes easier once you get a poseidon trident.
JvsY4zQ.jpg

zWSPWdZ.jpg

FquQKph.jpg

kwBfsi3.jpg

kbO2zr5.jpg

KG1GjiI.jpg

KrbpjXk.jpg

CXZzuBB.jpg

Medieval
All around great episode, reminded me of Rune (Thorstadt Fortress in particular). Much better weapon roster than Greek too.
sgDcEZ8.jpg

UFHsWUB.jpg

5135uYC.jpg

uESbXfJ.jpg

NOThYXs.jpg

NE4nmOI.jpg

8Nq7uZJ.jpg

NV6ffET.jpg

San Francisco
OK episode. Interestingly, each level has a certain gimmick to it (item hunting in Alcatraz, keycards and backtracking in Mishima's lab, switch hunting in Mishima's hideout and platforming in SEAL HQ).
8movanR.jpg

"hummel gets the rockets" intensifies
1PcbSDs.jpg

EBU6ETS.jpg

TqM3KCQ.jpg

leN9xIq.jpg

jE9HtNs.jpg

KzVKcpO.jpg

nQOPHaA.jpg

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul

A fine day in the desert
z8zG2w9.png

I love magic! Especially Acid Fog.
EbnaqzK.png

Bagged my first Imperial Guardsman.
k1XKF27.png

Looks like The Emperor pays his guards handsomely.
GnlCddc.png

Last edited:

A horse of course

Blair Witch Volume One: Rustin Parr (Minor spoilers)

Our old friends Terminal Reality return for the first of the episodic Blair Witch games, eschewing the heavy action, gore and excitement of Nocturne in favour of a heavier emphasis on adventure game mechanics. It's 1941 and supernatural defence agency Spookhouse have been called in to investigate a series of ritual murders in the town of Burkittsville, Maryland. With the Blair Witch rumours constituting little more than ghost stories and local legends, the protagonist of Nocturne feels the assignment is beneath his talents, so the more inquisitive Elspeth "Doc" Holliday heads to the area to investigate in his stead. She soon discovers more than mortal evil at work in the town, and must solve the mystery of Coffin Rock before an ancient menace can bring its dark plans to fruition.

If, like me, you're a handsome and highly intelligent gamer, you'll no doubt be playing Rustin Parr right after finishing Nocturne, in which case everything from the control scheme to the general mechanics of movement and combat should be familiar to you. A 180 degree turn feature has been added, whilst visuals have had a slight upgrade, with limited facial animations and support for higher resolutions (you'll still need dgvoodoo2 for modern systems though). Most of the basic weapons from the previous game also return, and the most notable additions are an evidence log and map, with some gadgets to help aid in your investigation of the town. It's this aspect of the game that will take up a good deal of your time - talking to locals, analysing audio tapes, solving minor puzzles and so forth. Elspeth will follow up most conversations with a recap of what she's just learned - which is absolutely useless unless you took a break from the game for a week and need to check your last conversation in the log - as well as adding a helpful suggestion in case you're not sure how best to utilize this information. The adventure and puzzle side of the game actually has an extra mode, called "Hard Puzzles", which will significantly increase the amount of work you're have to do to progress past these sections. These range from more convoluted schemes to distract bothersome law enforcement agents, to demonic cryptography, practical witchcraft, and high school chemistry. Some of these can be messed up and lead to a game over, so it's worth keeping a few saves and staggering them so you don't leave yourself in hard fail state.

The other half of the game is of course delving into the woods with your guns drawn and battling all sorts of ancient evils. Well, I say battling them, but you'll quickly learn it's far more efficient to simply run past everything until you hit a boss. And run you will - a lot. The woods are deliberately designed to be torturously confusing, with a lot of very similar pathways and clearings. In the real world, you'll have a map to help guide you, but the game sometimes dumps you in alternate times or dimensions and no longer shows the player's location. In these situations there is a compass you could try and use in tandem with the map, but it's better to simply try and remember the original layout and keep running. Action is therefore probably the game's weakest facet, as enemies are far less interesting or entertaining to kill than in Nocturne, and there's really no incentive to fight them at all since unlike many classic survival horror titles you're unlikely to ever need to stay in one particular area to look for items or solve puzzles. The first time you encounter some of these foes can be slightly creepy, but it's certainly not scary or exciting. Bosses are similarly dull to fight, with the biggest challenge working out whether you're injuring them or not.

In presentation the game isn't all that impressive. Burkittsville has a bleak, almost soulless look to it that I'm sure is faithful to the movies, but it's a visual style that is highly derivative of any point-and-click ghost story. Even many of the pre-rendered assets look rather lazy - such as 2d trees that were originally very low-quality 3d models - and there's only one brief night sequence near the start of the game that plays to the Nocturne engine's strengths. Even the haunted woods aren't much better in this regard, with flat lighting and a distant high-angle camera that doesn't contribute much to the horror. Perhaps the game was trying to give a sense of the player being spied upon by the woodland spirits, but it fails to capture the unease that anyone who's found themselves strolling in the woods at dusk can attest to. Sadly, sound is still not being used very effectively, with much of the game unscored and only the odd jingle playing at inopportune moments. As in Nocturne, I find this aversion to using music utterly baffling, since one of the most atmospheric parts of both games is wandering around the Spookhouse offices to this stock tune - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKuPtbZGxuA

Finally, a lot of the roughness of Nocturne returns, with Elspeth frequently opening conversations by fudging her pathfinding and walking in circles for several seconds, and at least two different reviews mentioned game-breaking glitches in Hard Puzzle mode. There are also a few transitional scenes which were clearly meant to involve further exploration but cut due to lack of time. I read one of the Terminal Reality developers say in an interview that Rustin Parr is the game he's most proud of, purely down to the fact that it's a miracle the team managed to complete the game at all. Unfortunately, it really shows.

It's not a horrible game, but I wouldn't recommend Rustin Parr to any particular demographic. Perhaps twenty years ago I would've found this a tense experience, or jerked off to the implied lesbian relationship, but outside of hypotheticals the scariest part of the game was reading the old native american legends in the Burkittsville library. These days we can enjoy games with identical settings that far outclass Blair Witch in action, horror, and storytelling (Alan Wake), or smug race-traitor hipster bragging rights (Deadly Premonition). You might like the puzzle-solving aspect of the game, but in that case you might as well play a real adventure, or Silent Hill for a better balance of action and brain-teasers.

The Blair Witch Episodes are of course meant to be played as a set, but Volumes II and III were handled by different developers with almost no co-ordination between the different teams, so I won't bother with them unless I end up marathoning Human Head Studios or something. Next up, I'll be replaying Bloodrayne for the first time in about a decade. Let's hope it holds up as well as Rayne's implants.

v1QgsSh.jpg
rFIjpQh.jpg
HihNGVe.jpg
JJsfIFe.jpg
piwPiCj.jpg
Ud3SNNx.jpg
n4Bpr4i.jpg
lhzO4Zw.jpg
lweq086.jpg
q04GSuv.jpg
LjL2Vvp.jpg
WtwjugG.jpg
IwiMqny.jpg
X5TYZRG.jpg
V2vy7Eq.jpg
Mu1i8IF.jpg
DZxvg5t.jpg
9KZ3e8N.jpg
MXJe8CX.jpg
qe6G3Fw.jpg
GIx0wF0.jpg
hmAoo7w.jpg
syMWrpD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
nox11.png

fabulously optimistic

nox12.png

step 1: war cry

nox13.png

step 2: HAMMER TIME!

the way the warhammer in Nox goes SLAM!!!! against niggas' heads makes it one of the most satisfying weapons in RPGs

nox14.png

time to end this evil that marshals before us

nox15.png

more like the land of the tremendously annoying gargoyles

A horse of course

Observer (Mild spoilers)

A brutally depressing cyberpunk adventure game made by Europe’s janitorial staff, Observer is set in the far future of the “Fifth Polish Republic”, where corporate goliath Chiron has risen from the ashes of World War III and now controls the populace via psychological conditioning, mind-numbing pharmaceuticals, and technological escapism. Rutger Hauer voices Daniel Lazarski, a traumatized corporate inquisitor who comes from the ranks of “Observers” – state-sanctioned enforcers modified with the ability to forcibly mind-jack victims and extract their memories. Lazarski is contacted by his estranged son, who begs for his help at a run-down apartment complex. Trapped within the complex by an outbreak of a lethal digital virus, our protagonist soon realizes that another kind of killer is also on the loose, and he can only escape and uncover the secrets of his son’s disappearance by burrowing into the darkest recesses of the building’s inhabitants…

There’s a fair bit of contention over whether Observer constitutes an adventure game or a walking simulator, owing to its heavily story-driven focus and the tasks you must perform in order to progress. The short answer is that it hews closer to the latter. There is gameplay beyond walking from point A to point B and listening to people talk, but there’s typically very little independent thinking involved. The player has access to several vision modes that let him scan different types of objects, and you usually just flip through these until you find enough relevant clues to advance. There are also a number of short stealth-like sections, but these are very rudimentary to the point that I’m not sure whether some of the foes encountered even possess any sort of dynamic AI or just act according to where the player is currently positioned. It’s more interactive than something like Layers of Fear, but less of a “game” than SOMA or Amnesia.

Presentation is undoubtedly the game’s strongest asset, such that I won’t bother trying to think of enough adjectives to describe the nature of the environments you’ll traverse. That the story is focused on a very limited area for budgetary reasons is obvious, but the memory-hijacking sequences can lead to some jarringly psychedelic sequences involving everything from cyberspace simulations to sprawling jails and fairy-tale forests fighting each other for dominance over Lazarski’s disintegrating mental state. These visions are ripped from the numerous dying and recently deceased unfortunates the player will encounter in the apartment complex, ranging from disgraced surgical prodigies to recovering addicts, and all feed into two particular themes that beat at the heart of the narrative – desperation and misery.

The game constantly reinforces the notion that life in futuristic Krakow would be an unrelenting nightmare were it not for the bitter remedies of drugs, virtual reality, or madness. Everyone Lazarski interacts with is defiled by this world in some way. Even brief conversations through doorways hint at physical or sexual abuse, religious fanaticism, suicide, incurable dissociative disorders and so forth. Though obviously heavily inspired by Blade Runner in visuals and technology, the tone is closer to that of Brazil or THX 1138. Even Blade Runner finds a curious beauty in isolation and mortality, whereas Observer only permits displays of love or optimism as fuel for further suffering. Nobody in Observer’s world experiences pain for a greater good or as a crucible to cleanse themselves of their sins, only for the sake of enduring more pain or inflicting it upon others. It must be tough being Polish.

This is not to say the game is nihilistic, as its grimness is an important ingredient in the conclusion to Lazarski's narrative. The way you view the world of Observer, its trajectory, and Lazarski’s participation in it, will likely influence your decision in the closing moments of the story. The issue with this central narrative is that whilst the game does a great job limiting itself to very personal stories in a very specific location, the central plot balloons into a tale of corporate espionage, mass murder, and – let’s say – “macro-transhumanism”, as if Perfect Blue morphed into Evangelion three-quarters through the movie. The argument can be made that the stories you encounter in the apartment block are “enough” to give a broad perspective on the events of the ending, but it felt far too grand for me. Maybe I’m just completely misinterpreting it and the truth is that "it was all a dream lol".

As I mentioned earlier, it’s not unfair to dismiss Observer as a walking simulator. I pirated the game when it first came out but deleted it due to the slow pace of the first hour. I only bought it on Steam last year because I wanted to get back into the swing of cyberpunk before C2077 comes out. Even then, it has its flaws beyond gameplay mechanics, like not clearly communicating to the player when they have the freedom to pursue more side-stories involving other apartments – resulting in a lot of wasted effort from the development team. There are even minor gameplay elements that I assumed would be of significance to the story but ended up meaning very little. And it's absolutely criminal that the game doesn't natively support VR - it could definitely do with a remaster at some point in the future. Still, if you enjoy cyberpunk or future dystopias and are willing to put up with the game’s sluggishness, I highly recommend the experience. Even if my review has turned you off, at least get the OST. I didn't even notice how amazing some of the tracks were because I felt so morose whilst playing the damn thing.

Thanks for reading and remember to support me on MyFreeCams.

qx4Qsy1.jpg
2vkxuo6.jpg
Pob1CIy.jpg
bsNme44.jpg
vtsNic0.jpg
GFNDiZJ.jpg
CaP6ywC.jpg
zqB75ye.jpg
P6JRBCd.jpg
rQnCKoM.jpg
H14ts9q.jpg
hJx8XBD.jpg
tqq9sKA.jpg
ZVc4d1J.jpg
LEPRAXp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bahamut

Arcane
l1FSe9V.jpg

After kicking ass of Akuma Ganondorf Demise and its finally end
Mb0Wyj6.jpg

Yea its one of crappier Zeldas overall, it wasn't that much terrible, just annoying with motion controlls abuse and bad structuring.
At least bosses where entertaining, still never again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom