Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
And you have to remember to use it while in the heat of combat too.

It sounds easy until you fight two Cyberdemons accompanied by 15 other small to medium enemies.

Yeah, I keep forgetting about the flamethrower especially haha. Can't really hear the recharge sound when I'm in the middle of fighting a bunch of shit (I even turned the music off as an experiment and it's not helping at all) so I forget it's there.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
And you have to remember to use it while in the heat of combat too.

It sounds easy until you fight two Cyberdemons accompanied by 15 other small to medium enemies.

Yeah, I keep forgetting about the flamethrower especially haha. Can't really hear the recharge sound when I'm in the middle of fighting a bunch of shit (I even turned the music off as an experiment and it's not helping at all) so I forget it's there.

Thing is, my classic Doom reflexes are so ingrained in my mind that the Flamethrower mechanic still feels a bit weird to me, like a new member I am not used to.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Some things I learned (after about 100 or so deaths) playing on Nightmare.

* Nightmare becomes much easier when you 100% maps. Getting all the items and such.

* NEVER stop moving.

* NEVER move backwards, you will die.

* Look where you can break line of sight from the enemies, this means using high ground and low ground. I died around 20-30 times in an arena because I kept playing this game like a regular shooter.

* Press "q" and move your mouse in the direction of the wheel. Learn to do this very quickly, and you can swap weapons on on demand, this means being able to throw a 'nade into a Caco's mouth.

* Hold "q" and keep holding it so you slow down time and think about what you need. Maybe you don't use frag grenades or freeze grenades often enough?

* Some enemies can be glory killed moments BEFORE they start flashing; Caco comes to mind.

* Punch smaller enemies to stagger them briefly. I have fucked up glory kill moments and a punch can save you.

* Never get into melee range of a Mancubus.

* Do not fight the low level enemies unless they are in an annoying location where they can damage you. These guys are a waste of time unless you need ammo, health or armour.

* Before you kill an enemy with a chainsaw, flame them, and then get them into a stagger state before glory killing them. Sometimes you need to shoot them off centre with the shotgun to ensure not all the pallets hit them in order to not outright kill them.

* Use the chainsaw even when you are over 50% ammo. Just use the thing it doesn't hurt and regens quickly enough to be reused. I just throw the chainsaw in from time to time, you will eventually get used to using it without thinking. Once you get to this stage you won't run out of ammo. Don't bother using the chainsaw on larger enemies it is a waste unless you 100% need to.

* This game requires parkour skills. Treat it like Mirror's Edge.

* While doing parkour take momentary shots at enemy weak points to make it easier. Keep moving and just take pot shots in their direction. Whether it be via rocket, sniper, or shotgun 'nade.

* Save the shield enemies until they come close to the bigger enemies and then drill them with the plasma gun.

* Take the move skills first from the skill circle. I recommend getting the sprint cool down reduction and the monkey bars as they will let you move quickly through the environment.

I will add more later when I can think of them.
When I first started playing this game I have the same issue as OctavianRomulus; I kept forgetting to use skills, and even now I don't use the cryo grenades anywhere near enough. Just keep dying and make doing these things a focus.

You will die a lot on Nightmare, but eventually the game does become "easier", when you sometimes don't die at all, other times you will only die a few times.

Take breaks. I generally just alt-tab out of the game occasionally to shit post on the Codex.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

* Nightmare becomes much easier when you 100% maps. Getting all the items and such.

* NEVER stop moving.

* Look where you can break line of sight from the enemies, this means using high ground and low ground. I died around 20-30 times in an arena because I kept playing this game like a regular shooter.

* Press "q" and move your mouse in the direction of the wheel. Learn to do this very quickly, and you can swap weapons on on demand, this means being able to throw a 'nade into a Caco's mouth.

* Hold "q" and keep holding it so you slow down time and think about what you need. Maybe you don't use frag grenades or freeze grenades often enough?

* Some enemies can be glory killed moments BEFORE they start flashing; Caco comes to mind.

* Punch smaller enemies to stagger them briefly. I have fucked up glory kill moments and a punch can save you.

* Do not fight the low level enemies unless they are in an annoying location where they can damage you. These guys are a waste of time unless you need ammo, health or armour.

* Before you kill an enemy with a chainsaw, flame them, and then get them into a stagger state before glory killing them. Sometimes you need to shoot them off centre with the shotgun to ensure not all the pallets hit them in order to not outright kill them.

* Use the chainsaw even when you are over 50% ammo. Just use the thing it doesn't hurt and regens quickly enough to be reused. I just throw the chainsaw in from time to time, you will eventually get used to using it without thinking. Once you get to this stage you won't run out of ammo.

* While doing parkour take momentary shots at enemy weak points to make it easier. Keep moving and just take pot shots in their direction. Whether it be via rocket, sniper, or shotgun 'nade.

* Save the shield enemies until they come close to the bigger enemies and then drill them with the plasma gun.

* Take the move skills first from the skill circle. I recommend getting the sprint cool down reduction and the monkey bars as they will let you move quickly through the environment.

When I first started playing this game I have the same issue as OctavianRomulus; I kept forgetting to use skills, and even now I don't use the cryo grenades anywhere near enough. Just keep dying and make doing these things a focus.

You will die a lot on Nightmare, but eventually the game does become "easier", when you sometimes don't die at all, other times you will only die a few times.

Take breaks. I generally just alt-tab out of the game occasionally to shit post on the Codex.

Thanks bro. Though I know all of these already haha. I just get shot from god knows where constantly even when doing all of this stuff, that's what makes it so frustrating. Can't keep moving without doubling back if you're cut off by mancubi constantly and there's 4-5 of them plus everything else.

So far the harder arenas just feel like you need a lot of luck. Herding enemies doesn't seem to work often enough, so can't freeze enough of them to live etc.

Taking a break every now and again is definitely good advice though, this can be a frustrating game.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
The game does require a lot of mental fuckery, but if you keep at it you will learn these things via trial and error.

SumDrunkGuy

* NEVER stop moving.

* Use the chainsaw even when you are over 50% ammo. Just use the thing it doesn't hurt and regens quickly enough to be reused. I just throw the chainsaw in from time to time, you will eventually get used to using it without thinking. Once you get to this stage you won't run out of ammo. Don't bother using the chainsaw on larger enemies it is a waste unless you 100% need to.

We get it, you're playing on Nightmare and it's super easy for you. Your dick must be hewg.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
By the way, does the A.I. have varying levels of aggression depending on how many of a particular enemy you are fighting/if they are behind your or in front?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
super easy for you

It didn't start out that way, and it still isn't super easy, but the game does require more mental processing beyond what every shooter before it requires, maybe other than Overwatch.

By the way, does the A.I. have varying levels of aggression depending on how many of a particular enemy you are fighting/if they are behind your or in front?

Strangely enough I find the enemies try to flank me, at least the baby spider masterminds do. Certain enemies are more docile when you're constantly moving around the arena. Others like Hell Knights will just keep chasing you.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Why did you have to specify they are huge? Is there such a thing as a small Cyberdemon?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Ok, got past that bs arena with all the mancubi by cheesing them at the beginning a bit. A.I. is really weird in this game. Sometimes it's crazy good at predicting where you are and pressures you mercilessly, cutting off all your routes constantly.
But this time they didn't even follow my up a ledge. What.
Yesterday they were ledge-hopping like champs. Weird.

Thinned out the herd of mancubi (gargoyles didn't rush me down either for some reason) and then jumped in and played normally. Suddenly it was easy.
Doesn't feel like much of a victory tbh.

Now the next battle introduces slithering snake thingies whose name I've already forgotten.

Thought they were regular trashmobs because of how small/slender they are (hell knights also seem rather small-ish compared to what they used to be, it's weird), but they will fuck you up if you're at all in their range, ha.
In game encyclopedia says freeze them with ice bomb... It freezes them for a second or two at most. A rocket to the face doesn't kill them either.
No other known weaknesses. I'm still feeling way under-gunned compared to my opponents' damage output.

At least this time I'm not locked into an arena, so there's that. The snakes have lots of gunners for back-up, so we'll see how this goes.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I keep calling Gargoyles Succubi for some reason. Extant brain damage from playing Dragon Age?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Good thing you have been sucking the games cock while people have been saying that for months. Fucking moronic piece of shit. Have a nice day.

Doom Eternal's early flaws don't mean Doom 2016 isn't a great game IMO, which is what I've said in this thread "for months." Also you getting so butthurt over me tagging you butthurt is pretty amusing, Mr. Butthurt.

JDR13

Arcane
It's funny to see people playing on Nightmare and then complaining about the difficulty in certain places. Maybe not do Nightmare on your first run?

It's also cute how the same 2-3 edgelords keep popping in to try to convince the rest of us how terrible the new Dooms are.

soulburner

Cipher
I'm gonna keep this shit short. Just when I think to myself "this demon slaying gameplay is sort of fun" I'm then thrown into a god damn Mario section that annoys me so much my left hand fingers automatically position themselves into ALT+F4.
Who the fuck thought this is fun?

I'm gonna keep this shit short. Just when I think to myself "this demon slaying gameplay is sort of fun" I'm then thrown into a god damn Mario section that annoys me so much my left hand fingers automatically position themselves into ALT+F4.
Who the fuck thought this is fun?

I've done 3 missions so far and yeah, platforming is getting worse with each one. Combat is pretty enjoyable on UV but holy shit all this fucking jumping. Especially hate the timed jumping puzzles. Also can't get used to juggling all the equipment so far, with the cooldowns and shit, feels like they overcomplicated it. Like with previous one, I both enjoy and am annoyed by it. Good for what it is in small doses but exhausting if I play it longer. Also sound design and music is just as shit as it was in 2016, no surprise there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's a far cry from being better than CoD to being actually "great".

Sure, but gradient enjoyment scales are a thing. It's not just COD at the bottom and the best classics at the top, there's a ton of stuff between. Doom 2016 was pretty damn good IMO, and this seems a little worse but likely still decent. Gotta play more than 2 levels before I can say for sure. But the edgelord "THIS IS PURE EXCREMENT!" stuff about either of them just makes most sensible people roll their eyes.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I keep randomly using the flamethrower when there are no enemies around because I've played through half life, half life 2, episode 1, episode 2, black mesa, prospekt and hunt down the freeman to get ready for Alyx and my muscle memory keeps wanting to reload after large firefights lol

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I started playing it and I'm having fun, but it feels like the third part of a trilogy that I missed the second part of. I have no idea who the Sentinels are or why I'm talking to a ghost king on what's apparently their planet, I played Doom 2016 a month ago and there was no mention of them.

What are some good fps made in the last 5 years or so?
Dusk and Amid Evil

Draconis

Liturgist
I keep randomly using the flamethrower when there are no enemies around because I've played through half life, half life 2, episode 1, episode 2, black mesa, prospekt and hunt down the freeman to get ready for Alyx and my muscle memory keeps wanting to reload after large firefights lol

I did the same. I ended up rebinding the flame thrower cause I just couldn't stop.

Dusk and Amid Evil
Already played them :/

Jezal_k23

The biggest reflex I have to fight against is pressing 5 for rocket launcher, which is annoying as fuck. 5 is now SSG, and this always fucks with me.

orcinator

Liturgist
Oh fuck I realized the chainsaw recharges by itself, guess this game has no ammo management either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom