Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And the Epic cucks would somehow finds a way to twist that wording to create a narrative that Steam is monopoly and has 'exclusives' :lol:
A rhetorical question,
where can i get legal copies of Half-Life 2, Portal and Left for Dead that work without the Steam Client ?
:kingcomrade:
940x528-3-hero-616x346.jpg

Black Angel

Arcane
And the Epic cucks would somehow finds a way to twist that wording to create a narrative that Steam is monopoly and has 'exclusives' :lol:
A rhetorical question,
where can i get legal copies of Half-Life 2, Portal and Left for Dead that work without the Steam Client ?
It's like asking where I can get legal copies of Bloodborne and Demon's Souls for PC. These games are literally *OWNED* by Valve. It's extremely different with Epic shenanigans where the approach some devs/publishers to make exclusivity deals.
But that is way too much for Epic Cum Dumpsters to understand, I guess.

A rhetorical question,
940x528-3-hero-616x346.jpg
:smug:

Silly Germans

There is only a difference if you are a willing steam user.
I do not buy games that require third party clients and in this case it doesn't
make an ounce of difference whether it is released on Epic, Steam, Ubistore(?)
or whatever. They are all equally bad. I do not understand why Steam
users which apparently already accepted all that shit by installing Steam, have
such a hard time coming to terms with Epic. Which effectively is the same shit again.

Even if Epic did not exist with its new special exclusivity deals which Steam of course
never would do, what would happen instead ? The games would simply end up at Steam
which makes them effectively exclusive to Steam users. It would require me to make an
account at Steam to use them, which is exactly the same requirement as for Epic exclusives.

I have no problem with people bitching about missing features, that is a factual argument for Steam
but the whole Epic bashing and Steam brown nosing due to exclusive deals is just bigotry.

Silentstorm

Learned
Wait, i thought SNK said they weren't going to bring Samurai Shodown to Epic as an exclusive, or did i imagine that?

Guess they decided otherwise since fighting games are considered a niche genre, still, great for fighting game fans to have that game be on PC.

fuck snk ._. fucking retards.

or perhaps they aknowledged their own game as crap and before watching it sink they went for the cash grab and goodbye everybody.

Silentstorm

Learned
Look, i don't play fighting games, could never really get into the genre, but i though Samurai Shodown was considered a great game and a return to form for it's franchise and even just SNK, fighting game fans seem to love it and were excited for the PC port.

Then again, i haven't played that game nor was i planning to, same goes for any other fighting game, so my knowledge about that one is pretty much just what i heard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's like asking where I can get legal copies of Bloodborne and Demon's Souls for PC. These games are literally *OWNED* by Valve. It's extremely different with Epic shenanigans where the approach some devs/publishers to make exclusivity deals.

There are literally hundreds of games, if not thousands, you can only play through the Steam client. You guys don't want to call them exclusives, but whatever term you want to use that's a fact.

Edit: That video of games is pretty lame-o honestly, wonder if they're having a harder time signing bigger titles.

Syl

Cipher
Edit: That video of games is pretty lame-o honestly, wonder if they're having a harder time signing bigger titles.
Bigger titles' publishers very well know they are crippling their sales by going Epic exclusives.

Steam market is so much bigger and Epic can't offer tens of millions for one game.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
SamSho as a EGS exclusive with its lack of native controller support, no userbase and no crossplay is dead on arrival

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Well, i can see people buying it just to support it or because they really like it, so there's that, also, i thought not having crossplay was the standard for fighting games and they don't tend to have a large amount of players unless it's something really damn popular like Tekken or Street Fighter, even games based on popular franchises like DBFZ lag behind them.

At least that's what i hear, again, not exactly a guy that knows a lot about fighting games.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5c7450d54bbe6f072958d4b2%2F0x0.jpg%3Fbackground%3D000000%26cropX1%3D523%26cropX2%3D3995%26cropY1%3D343%26cropY2%3D3814

Hello once again, my fellow humans. We at Epic Games have caught a lot of negative attention from hostile "Gamers" upset that we generously offer their favorite developers large sums of money timed early release on our platform. However, have you considered the actions of Valve Software? A terrible virus was released upon the great nation of China and has since spread and become a global pandemic. While the strong Chinese spirit has quelled this threat in a mere matter of months, the western world is crumbling and sending everyone into quarantine. Governments are advising, nay, ordering people to stay in their homes. Coincidentally, just as the outbreak is getting worst of all, Valve Software releases Half-Life Alyx, a shooter that utilizes VR. It's at times like these you have to ask yourself, is paying developers more for their hard work really so bad when compared to releasing a deadly virus upon the world to promote your latest VR release? I believe you'll come to the correct conclusion.

Regards,
Tim Sweeney, human

Black Angel

Arcane
There are literally hundreds of games, if not thousands, you can only play through the Steam client. You guys don't want to call them exclusives, but whatever term you want to use that's a fact.
And that wasn't even Steam/Valve's decision to have it that way. It's the publishers/developers who don't want to put up a non-Steam DRM version of their games.

And this is the thing people has been explaining to you but it doesn't matter, isn't it? If a game can only be bought and played through Steam, it's an 'exclusive' even though it wasn't Valve's decision to have it that way. My God, Epic Cucks has some of the thickest skull out there that whatever is being given to them are deflected, while everything inside is trapped.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And this is the thing people has been explaining to you but it doesn't matter, isn't it? If a game can only be bought and played through Steam, it's an 'exclusive' even though it wasn't Valve's decision to have it that way. My God, Epic Cucks has some of the thickest skull out there that whatever is being given to them are deflected, while everything inside is trapped.

You guys spoke only about Valve games being only on Steam, and I was clarifying there's a fuckton of games only on Steam. I know you see a massive difference between exclusively on Steam and exclusive to Steam, as if it matters to the consumer, but it's still helpful to point out the whole "games should be available everywhere" crusade you guys are supposedly on stops at Steam's doorstep. When something is only on Steam, you don't complain. I've told you a thousand times I hate clients, and my preferred platform is GOG. Are you upset I can't buy shit like Resident Evil 3 on GOG? I doubt it.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Being exclusive to Steam is objectively better than being exclusive to Epic tho.

Last night I had a back pain so I lied down, ended up playing Into the Breach on my phone through Steam Link. Great little feature. Meanwhile Epic doesn't even have an FPS counter and its wishlist is lackluster as hell. So I will be that guy and say it: Steam's "exclusive games" are great compared to Epic's exclusive games, because Steam itself is a great client, a great store, has great customer experience (at least for me) :obviously:

Codex Year of the Donut

Maybe they're exclusive to Steam because no other platform cares to offer service to Linux
rating_prestigious.png

Black Angel

Arcane
You guys spoke only about Valve games being only on Steam, and I was clarifying there's a fuckton of games only on Steam. I know you see a massive difference between exclusively on Steam and exclusive to Steam, as if it matters to the consumer, but it's still helpful to point out the whole "games should be available everywhere" crusade you guys are supposedly on stops at Steam's doorstep. When something is only on Steam, you don't complain. I've told you a thousand times I hate clients, and my preferred platform is GOG. Are you upset I can't buy shit like Resident Evil 3 on GOG? I doubt it.
And Epic's shenanigans supposed to change all this?

The most important question you forgot to ask here. GOG has been around for far longer, but only when Epic starts making a fuss (in the wrong way, no less) does you cucks starts preaching to the choir.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If epic is so great and steam is so shit then why everyone jump to steam as soon as exclusivity period ends but no one release their games on epic after steam without bribe?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Being exclusive to Steam is objectively better than being exclusive to Epic tho.

Steam is a fuck-lot better than Epic, sure. And if most people were honest in their arguments by saying "I want everything on Steam and Epic is cock-blocking me" then that would be one thing. It's the hypocritical "games should be available everywhere!!!" argument that rings hollow, when those people never complained once about things being exclusively available through Steam.

The most important question you forgot to ask here. GOG has been around for far longer, but only when Epic starts making a fuss (in the wrong way, no less) does you cucks starts preaching to the choir.

My cucks does been preaching against DRM since Mass Effect had a SecuROM activation limit, but history has shown very few people give a damn so there's not much point bringing it up anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom