Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

deuxhero

Arcane
Has Sawyer ever talked about if anything related to Area 51 was considered in New Vegas? It's right outside the game's playable area and one of the most well known locations in Nevada. I'd expect glow tier radioactivity as an American military base would be a high target, but with how well Mr. House's anti-missile shield is supposed to have worked I'd doubt there's a giant ball of radiation so close to New Vegas.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That part where he talks about PoE & DivOS shows that he's still completely delusional and does not understand why PoE2 was such a flop. He actually thinks he was pandering to the IE purists.
P.S.: He supports the idea of getting rid of misses in BG3.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Deadfire's failure has broken both his spirit and mind.

He didn't use to be this way? Did he?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That part where he talks about PoE & DivOS shows that he's still completely delusional and does not understand why PoE2 was such a flop. He actually thinks he was pandering to the IE purists.

In his blunt sales breakdown he made it pretty clear that they lost the more casual audience Divinity OS hoovered up, not the "hardcore" audience. So... he's not wrong, according to their sales data anyway. The idea of Codex types buying it and playing it 100 hours before bitching about it is not surprising. The idea of casuals finding the first one boring, generic or disliking RtwP is not surprising either. Divinity OS is built for broader appeal.

Codex Year of the Donut

In his blunt sales breakdown he made it pretty clear that they lost the more casual audience Divinity OS hoovered up, not the "hardcore" audience. So... he's not wrong, according to their sales data anyway. The idea of Codex types buying it and playing it 100 hours before bitching about it is not surprising. The idea of casuals finding the first one boring, generic or disliking RtwP is not surprising either. Divinity OS is built for broader appeal.
The simplest solution is often enough the correct one: Normies just aren't interested in a party-based pirate-themed (tactical-ish) RPG.
Especially not one where the game system is so divorced from the story itself. Nothing says "Pirate adventures ahoy!" like wizards and paladins.

I think the RTwP vs Turn-based argument doesn't matter whatsoever to normies. If the game was appealing at first glance they'd play either.

Turuko

Learned
P.S.: He supports the idea of getting rid of misses in BG3.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Deadfire's failure has broken both his spirit and mind.

He didn't use to be this way? Did he?

he's fine

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The simplest solution is often enough the correct one: Normies just aren't interested in a party-based pirate-themed (tactical-ish) RPG.
Especially not one where the game system is so divorced from the story itself. Nothing says "Pirate adventures ahoy!" like wizards and paladins.
Doesn't this describe Divinity: Original Sin 2? My understanding is that you hop around islands on a ship with the option to build wizard and paladin-like characters. :P

Codex Year of the Donut
Doesn't this describe Divinity: Original Sin 2? My understanding is that you hop around islands on a ship with the option to build wizard and paladin-like characters. :P
D:OS2 is much closer to a regular fantasy setting.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What's his problem with Terry Gilliam?

EDIT: Nevermind, he doesn't like Black Panther or MeToo.

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
I would absolutely love to be a fly on the wall of his apartment when he gets knee-deep into his historically accurate RPG and realizes there is no way he can actually make that game. Either he makes it accurate and women are physically inferior and largely removed from positions of power, and racism is an inherent part of social interaction, or he removes historical accuracy.

That moment when the penny drops will be priceless. The look on his face when he realizes he must become Dan Vavra and be hated by his SJW cuck squad, or let go of his dream... As the blood drains from his face and the salty tears begin to fall, oh lordy, make me an insect already!

he lost everyone when he decided to make up his own game system. If he had used D20 system he would be working on pillars 3 or 4 right now, that is all there is to it. Too much is made of all the rest.

Codex Year of the Donut

he lost everyone when he decided to make up his own game system. If he had used D20 system he would be working on pillars 3 or 4 right now, that is all there is to it. Too much is made of all the rest.
Normies don't care what system a game uses.

dude infintron u are constantly wrong about everything, especially as it relates to DND. I remember you marking everyone of my comments saying kingmaker was going to be a gigantic hit before it was released with a sarcastic 'optimistic' emoji..DND may be too complicated for you but some people still enjoy it... thanks for your opinion though.

Normies don't care what system a game uses.
he turned off normies and what would have been his fan base with his shit game system he developed. That is the point. I guarantee you had he simply used dungeons and dragons this would be an entirely different outcome. There is nothing else to discuss really about it. You guys are spazing out about all these details, but its not even that complicated.

Last edited:
I think there's something to be said for Sawyer's PoE rules system harming the franchise's long-term life. (I should say that I haven't played very much Deadfire at all). People were expecting something akin to the IE games, which were, for the most part, fairly easy for normies to brute force or cheese their way through without actually understanding the mechanics of AD&D. While I wouldn't call PoE difficult by any stretch of the word, it is much more resistant to brute forcing your way through than, say, BG1; the game is pretty easy... provided you take the time to sit down and understand its rules, which is not something normies are known for.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think the systems and overall gameplay of PoE are fine. People bounced off the writing that was trying to be too sophisticated for its genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom