Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soul of War Inspired by Dungeons & Dragons

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Thank you, I'm gonna do that, is there anything you can tell me about steam that could help me out in getting it up there? I really don't know a lot about steam I have never used it.

Well I do not know much about Publishing games on steam. Just that steam sale volumes can be a LOT with the right promotion.
Better PM people who have actually published games on steam. Like Vault Dweller Styg Atomical 68kStudios Sneaky Seal

What I will tell you is that for those who dig these kind of cRPGs, the art style and sound is beautiful as it is.
There is no need to invest more on graphics/sounds/voice acting any more. Those who want pretty colors and top tier voice acting will not buy your game no matter how much you can realistically invest in these.

If the lack of controls/setting is due to an engine limitation, include a pdf manual with your release which details the default control scheme. And maybe a ingame splash screen which points out the pdf manual. good enough for a quick-fix/workaround.

But the UI issues (other than possible game-breaking / time-wasting bugs) is the only major hurdle for your title with amazing potential.

I have fixed the ui text to make it more readable, also I implemented a hotkey function while in battle, if you hover your mouse over an action like attack and enter a number key 1-0 it will add it to your hotbar so you wont have to right click on your character to get a function, Also there is a move button to move your character during battle.

I have fixed the ui text to make it more readable, also I implemented a hotkey function while in battle, if you hover your mouse over an action like attack and enter a number key 1-0 it will add it to your hotbar so you wont have to right click on your character to get a function, Also there is a move button to move your character during battle.
Best document it in a pdf and make it available online from your website and with game releases.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Best document it in a pdf and make it available online from your website and with game releases.
Will do!

I've noticed a lot of times when hovering over objects/people, they're named something like 'EV0*', where * is a number, like those children - a flying bird on the world map, the campfire (or something near it) in the initial forest, pillars with fire on top, etc.

I'm getting another crash in Dungeon of Chaos Lower (so named in the save file). There's a fight with two pythons right as you enter, and I'm pretty sure its when they hit one of your guys. It says "Script 'KDEA::StatusManager' line 90:ArgumentError". I'm going to guess it has to with applying poison from their attack. They're hitting my undead minions, who should be immune to it, so that might be part of it.

A minor thing, but when I added a third member at the inn in Trent, after character creation, the character says something about joining the party. However, the name for the speaker was my second character. That character was also the currently selected one, if that matters.

When naming a character, why are so few characters allowed?

I don't think clerics are receiving their domain spells. My cleric is level 4, and still not received the first domain spell for either domain.

Do you have a place for reporting bugs/issues? If not, you may want to set one up, so you've got a central location for it, rather than cluttering up this thread. A link in the game to report issues could be useful, too.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I've noticed a lot of times when hovering over objects/people, they're named something like 'EV0*', where * is a number, like those children - a flying bird on the world map, the campfire (or something near it) in the initial forest, pillars with fire on top, etc.

I'm getting another crash in Dungeon of Chaos Lower (so named in the save file). There's a fight with two pythons right as you enter, and I'm pretty sure its when they hit one of your guys. It says "Script 'KDEA::StatusManager' line 90:ArgumentError". I'm going to guess it has to with applying poison from their attack. They're hitting my undead minions, who should be immune to it, so that might be part of it.

A minor thing, but when I added a third member at the inn in Trent, after character creation, the character says something about joining the party. However, the name for the speaker was my second character. That character was also the currently selected one, if that matters.

When naming a character, why are so few characters allowed?

I don't think clerics are receiving their domain spells. My cleric is level 4, and still not received the first domain spell for either domain.

Do you have a place for reporting bugs/issues? If not, you may want to set one up, so you've got a central location for it, rather than cluttering up this thread. A link in the game to report issues could be useful, too.
yes i all those were fixed in this update, was just uploaded about 10 minutes ago. v1.3
I stayed up most the night and went through everything with a fine toothed comb
most people just send me an email for bugs fishdoggames@gmail.com
i had a cleric last night and she was receiving all her domains hmm that is strange. im gonna look into the pythons.

yes i all those were fixed in this update, was just uploaded about 10 minutes ago. v1.3
i had a cleric last night and she was receiving all her domains hmm that is strange. im gonna look into the pythons.
Do you prefer people email you bug reports? I'm fine either way. I can email you from now on.

I just tried downloading the new version, and its failed three times in a row.

I finished killing the hobgoblin guys in the cave with Sean's ring quest, and there's something going on after the big fight. Everything goes out of focus, and you can't do anything. After a couple mouse clicks, the screen comes back into focus, and you regain control. It seems like there was supposed to be a message of some sort coming up, but I didn't see it.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Do you prefer people email you bug reports? I'm fine either way. I can email you from now on.

I just tried downloading the new version, and its failed three times in a row.

I finished killing the hobgoblin guys in the cave with Sean's ring quest, and there's something going on after the big fight. Everything goes out of focus, and you can't do anything. After a couple mouse clicks, the screen comes back into focus, and you regain control. It seems like there was supposed to be a message of some sort coming up, but I didn't see it.

i'll check the download on itch, try that itch download again i reposted the download link...if its not working then its a problem with itch, yes you can email me the bug reports so i can have them noted in my email. thanks

I misunderstood how you implemented domains. Rather than granting those spells to the character automatically, they're instead added to possible spell picks when you level up.

I was able to download the new version later.

Seems like all these free beta testers are doing work for the rest of us :D
I feel that supporting and helping people who make games I want to play shows that there's interest, to this developer and others, and thus they'll be more likely to make more of these games in the future.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I misunderstood how you implemented domains. Rather than granting those spells to the character automatically, they're instead added to possible spell picks when you level up.

I feel that supporting and helping people who make games I want to play shows that there's interest, to this developer and others, and thus they'll be more likely to make more of these games in the future.
There will be more to come ! :) Thanks

howlingFantods

Learned
Just thought people should know...
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-ellis-studios-tribute-thread.112724/
Screen-Shot-2020-03-25-at-1-46-03-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-03-25-at-1-59-48-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-03-25-at-2-00-23-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-03-25-at-2-01-24-AM.png

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer

Yes I like the pick and choose better for the domains, you will notice at lv5 you will gain the domains.
I'm working on the next update that will fix a few other things that I missed in yesterdays update, also going to implement the new character animations to make them a lot smoother.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
So does Soul of War have "same" content like these other older games?

No it does not...I dont even read that post because thats why I left the watch as I said before I made a mistake and bought some icons from a guy on fiverr I had no idea they were from wow, most of what was being said about me was lies, heck ive never even heard of lunatic rpgs, and I never stole games or assets from someone. People can believe what they want, but I'll just keep on making my game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So does Soul of War have "same" content like these other older games?

No it does not...I dont even read that post because thats why I left the watch as I said before I made a mistake and bought some icons from a guy on fiverr I had no idea they were from wow, most of what was being said about me was lies, heck ive never even heard of lunatic rpgs, and I never stole games or assets from someone. People can believe what they want, but I'll just keep on making my game.
Well my question was for the fellow Codexians. I can only trust (some of) them.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Bug update:
some people are reporting that they are getting a crash in the chaos dungeon with the pythons, i see the problem and have fixed it, it will be included in tomorrows patch
thank you!

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
just wanted to keep everyone in the loop GOG has agreed to accept Soul of War, they are also gonna help me with publishing and the graphics, they will help me with the ui ...they said it was ok but could use some work. also they informed me to take down the trailer. shit i paid to have that trailer made lol. anyways im happy. i know the game is not perfect but it is a game i would love to play if someone else created it...its not everyday we get to play a d&d game on the pc (unless we have already played it)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom