Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter Update #45: Regill the Hellknight

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

When the Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter campaign concluded earlier this month, there were still six companions left who hadn't been properly introduced. I guess it made sense for Owlcat to save some of them for the game's long development, starting from today's Kickstarter update. Meet Regill, a formidable Hellknight from Cheliax who also happens to be a gnome.

The crusade is a noble quest, a march to glory, a chance to save the world and do things that matter… right?

Wrong. The crusade is just another war. And Golarion is losing.

At least, this is what the Hellknights think.

Merciless and deadly, clad in black armor, they have come from infernal Cheliax to prove that, when empowered with law and discipline, an army can achieve more than by noble intentions and good will. They have no authority above them other than their order’s regulations and no compassion for anyone, least of all the pathetic failures who can’t even hold the demons at bay.

Paralictor Regill Derenge is one of the strictest and most ruthless Hellknight officers. He doesn’t have hopes—he has goals. He doesn’t have doubts—he has discipline. Every risk he takes is calculated. Every stratagem he devises is the most efficient.

Casualties? Manageable. Compassion? A debilitating luxury. Training? To the fullest extent. Evil? Lawful evil.

Needless to say, all these qualities are rare for a gnome.

Indeed, Regill is far from representative of his people. While other gnomes crave new experiences and sensations to stop the bleaching—a process of physical decolorization and aging, which is considered an affliction—Regill accepts it as a natural state, and doesn’t bother himself to care. Of course, he has too many urgent tasks to spend time indulging excessive curiosity or other weaknesses. He’d rather purge them with morbid rituals of reckoning.

In battle, Regill dashes to the mob of chaotic creatures, smiting them with measured, precise blows. His effectiveness is the result of strict hellknight training, and his control helps him to assess the situation on the battlefield and choose the best course of action.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that you’re his commander or his friend—Regill fights alongside you because he volunteered to do so. While his disfavor has consequences, so too does his esteem. His respect and loyalty are difficult to earn, but, once secured, will pay off a hundredfold.
Hell yeah.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's immoral to complain that characters are played straight (Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Neverwinter Nights 2) and also complain that they subvert tropes.

What's important isn't that a character/story is played straight or a subversion, but that they are written well and incorporated effectively into the game design.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
this really bummed me out. when you read the text it all sound very cool but the twist with the hellknight being a midget really ruined it for me. sound very much like diveristy town where little midgets can be hellknights all of a sudden

I regret backing the kickstarter. why couldn't the hellknight just be a human male?

lightbane

Arcane
:hmmm:

A gnome hellknight? How diverse and brave. Or perhaps not because it's still a "he", unless it happens to be a trans too.
How can he even walk around with plate-armor with his likely pitiful STR score?

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
6a00e54f926318883300e552b603088834-600wi

Barely related, but: can someone point some article/video/blogpost that does a competent recap of any alleged new feature/change in this game, compared to the previous one?

And before someone says that: NO, I'm not going to read 40+ freaking KS updates.

Yosharian

Arcane
A gnome hellknight? How diverse and brave. Or perhaps not because it's still a "he", unless it happens to be a trans too.
Surely you acknowledge that some strong gnomes could exist?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol the Gnome only get -2 to STR score anyway. It's not that they are given a crippling -8 to STR or something like that that would make the idea of a "strong gnome" to be funny.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I suspect that this will actually be one of the more interesting companions that people (including Codexers) will be interested in listening to.

Empary

Scholar

Achkuahly, Plate doesnt weight much, standard was about 20kg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom