Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

sullynathan

Arcane
More cringy shit: can't melee zombies anymore. Punching them doesn't do anything where as in 2016 you could glory kill them without even damaging them, and now that there's no pistol it means you have to waste real ammo to take them out. Guess i'll have to get used to chain them instead.

Fuck sake's i just wanna shoot shit until it dies.
You can melee zombies.

Curratum

It's great that DOOM 2 (& DOOM) is in this game, so the extreme butthurt can also play that when they're complaining about platforming.

But that's Doom 1 and 2 with edited Nazi Schutzstaffel voices, medkits with pills instead of crosses, etc.

You can keep those versions, I'll be sticking to my Doom 2 v1.666.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'd say there's actually a strong case to be made to play this game without interface. There's no point in knowing how much ammo or health you have except for when you are in a critical state, and as for armor, why is it even there anymore?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
More cringy shit: can't melee zombies anymore. Punching them doesn't do anything where as in 2016 you could glory kill them without even damaging them, and now that there's no pistol it means you have to waste real ammo to take them out. Guess i'll have to get used to chain them instead.

You can melee zombies.

Not that i can see. I punched one five time in the face and it felt like i did no damage, so i just shot it.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

You can melee zombies.

Not that i can see. I punched one five time in the face and it felt like i did no damage, so i just shot it.
Ramming into zombies by dashing into them deals more damage than a punch.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I haven't got the dash thing yet, but there's no point if i have to use shit that's on a cool down, might as well drop a bomb from the shoulder cannon and be done with it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
-Combat Shotgun's best mod is the Sticky Bomb one. May be the best in the game when it comes to what you get vs. what you put in. An AOE explosion with good damage, destroys things like Arachnotron turrets and Mancubi rocket launchers with ease, and only uses regular ammo. This kind of makes the Precision Shot mod for the Heavy Cannon pointless since it's 10x easier to Sticky Bomb a weak point. The only time I think Precision Shot is good is when you face those angelic drones where you have to headshot them.

I'm pretty good at quickly taking out cannon weak spots with the zoom rifle, but I'll try it with the shotgun stick bombs. Thanks for the tip. The rifle is pretty much useless in the game other than those weak points, so I was thinking of just using the chaingun.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You can destroy individual guns on monsters?

Yes, their cannons and whatnot are considered "weak points" and when you shoot them enough they blow off. The rifle's zoom shot is basically made for this, and what is shown in the tutorials.

sullynathan

Arcane

You can melee zombies.

Ramming into zombies by dashing into them deals more damage than a punch.
Oh yeah, you can do this too. I found it out in the ice level and was surprised. Pretty cool overall.
Any demon with a built in gun can be destroyed to either remove the gun or reduce the damage and fire rate.

I'm pretty good at quickly taking out cannon weak spots with the zoom rifle, but I'll try it with the shotgun stick bombs. Thanks for the tip. The rifle is pretty much useless in the game other than those weak points, so I was thinking of just using the chaingun.

Fully upgraded micro missiles are really good. Ditch that precision shot shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Yes, their cannons and whatnot are considered "weak points" and when you shoot them enough they blow off. The rifle's zoom shot is basically made for this, and what is shown in the tutorials.

Yeah, and there's one thing that pisses me off about that: i have to keep those horrid cross-hair enabled because if you turn them off it also removes it from the zoom of the rifle.

Yeah, and there's one thing that pisses me off about that: i have to keep those horrid cross-hair enabled because if you turn them off it also removes it from the zoom of the rifle.

Dot seemed to work fine with zoom for me. Anyway, sniper shot mode is not needed at all for this game so who cares.

Cross

Arcane

You can melee zombies.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The game really pisses me off. They took Doom 2016 and made everything more annoying. The map design is worse too.
But it sold twice as much as 2016 at launch already.

Yeah but it enjoys sequel hype. 2016 was an enigma for people and it developed a fandom over time, while now with Eternal we are talking about Skyrim or Fallout levels of mass hype, where it would take two shit sequels on a row to defuse, like Bethesda did with their garbage Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 fiasco.

Generic-Giant-Spider

That boss would have been easier if the gun model wasn't blocking you from seeing which parts of the floor are made of lava.
(inb4 there was an option for that)

Yeah, that was an issue for me when I did my first attempt. Overall though, the boss fights weren't that great. The Killdozer tank thing was okay but you could tell this was going to be a regular enemy later on. The Marauder I visually liked a lot because it looks like it came from Quake 1 but the mechanics behind fighting one isn't pulled off too well or suited for Doom. The Gladiator was forgettable shit. The Angel was again the most difficult because of how much shit happens at once as things go on especially if you don't try to blitz it near the end. Icon of Sin was my favorite because it was a cool callback to Doom II and a more elaborate version of that fight, plus I liked the constant chaos of having a bunch of mid and high tier enemies (minus Cyberdemons and Archviles, thank fucking god) running around.

And in case anyone is wondering, no, the Icon of Sin didn't say THE LINE.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, if they do a Quake sequel we know it would just be a (mild, this is already Quake) reskin of their Doom games, but it might actually be better simply because they don't have so much meme material to shove in your face. No rip and tear in Quake AFAIK, unless they start mining Quake 3 for jokes (HERE COMES THE MULTIKILLER!)

BTW, if they do a Quake sequel we know it would just be a (mild, this is already Quake) reskin of their Doom games, but it might actually be better simply because they don't have so much meme material to shove in your face. No rip and tear in Quake AFAIK, unless they start mining Quake 3 for jokes (HERE COMES THE MULTIKILLER!)

They would either come up with some dumb annoying shit anyway, or not do it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom