Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

spectre

Arcane
They missed an opportunity to name it Thassa's Briny Booty.
Who woulda thunk it, animating each and every card in a deck makes Unity go teats up if there's two big piles?
No technical issues on my end, but that event had all the fucking red flags - 100+ card deck, singleton.
Despite this, I had the most fun with this one compared to the previous ones where the precons played like shit.

lukaszek
I recognize some of the symptoms you're describing, I think it's caused by relying on Settesan Champion as the main threat/value engine.
Since it dies to a fuckload of things, you want to get maximum value out of it, or at least keep it somewhat protected, and there's never a good time to play it, much less when you draw two of them.
You need to take some strain off them.

I think Mirror Shield is an interesting consideration since it's the only colorless source of hexproof around, but the problem is in getting maximum value out of it since you have no equipment synergy.
Then there's that period of vulnerability before you're able to equip it.

One more thing to explore here is a third color splash, maybe it can unfuck it.

I'd try going blue for:
4x Faerie Vandal - these things should be amazing with the draw you're packing, can also solve the beatdown problem
3x Starlit Mantle - the only dive down we got, but at least it synergizes with edidolon, season and champion
2x-3x Negate - I get that the point with eidolon is that you're not bothered when your shit dies, but with negates and hexproof you get to control when they do, not the opponent.

Replacing:
- 2x Ghostform - you shouldn't need it now and it's simply a bad card.
-1-3x Hydra - I'm not a big fan of 3 cmc auras, but you can have pretty massive fucking counter growth on vandals, so maybe one or two get to stay.
-1x Training - trample is no longer needed to get damage through, one can probably go.
-1x Mogis
-1x Mire
-2x Weight - or any combination of the above.
-1-4x Anemias? I was never a fan of having a 4x of legendaries.
- Inevitable End? Dunno, this one always felt like a bad card for me, even though it ticks a whole bunch of boxes for this deck.

Red splash gives you nothing, from what I've seen. something like Champion of Flame would be a-ok, but it rotated.

In any case, here's what I ended up with on my end. Also added one Omen of the Sea, and it gives a rather good first impression.
I admit, I can't fully test your original version cause I only have 2 Anemias and no desire to craft more, but the main problem was
that not drawing an early Eidolon felt like the deck is running at half of its potential.

No mana problems on my end, does get pretty explosive once more pieces come online.

Deck
4 Hateful Eidolon (THB) 101
1 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
3 Mogis's Favor (THB) 107
3 Mire's Grasp (THB) 106
3 Dead Weight (GRN) 67
4 Setessan Champion (THB) 198
2 Forest (UND) 96
3 Setessan Training (THB) 201
4 Faerie Vandal (ELD) 45
3 Starlit Mantle (THB) 67
3 Negate (M20) 69
2 Season of Growth (M20) 191
2 Hydra's Growth (THB) 172
2 Aphemia, the Cacophony (THB) 84
1 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
1 Island (THB) 280
2 Swamp (ELD) 261
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
2 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259

spectre

Arcane
I think im shifting my attention towards historic format next. hypnotic spectre and waste not are calling me and Im not sure I can/want to resist it any more
You probably should, I just switched to historic Bo3 ranked once again an keep wondering why the fuck did I ever bother with standard.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get bored of mono colored decks, but one black card I have found to cause massive butthurt is Piper of the Swarm.

I thought of it when you mentioned rats. I also know there are other rat cards that cause the opponent to discard that are standard legal right now.

Most people ignore the piper of the swarm, but being able to take control of another players big creatures unexpectedly is awesome. Dropping 3 rats in a turn and sniping their heavy hitter can really turn a game from getting your ass beat to dominating (as long as you have the other proper support cards ofc). It's become more useful now with the indestructible theros enchantment creatures too.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Mono black is a bit problematic because a lot of the good stuff is simply not there (Those cunts could release the shit from the beta and give us Torment of Hailfire at the very least).
Otherwise, you're stuck with playing with stuff you already know from standard, or shit that was around in Dominaria.
You can generate a crapton of resources with Cabal Stronghold, problem is in converting it into something meaningful.
You should try and see if any artifacts catch your fancy, some of them go nicely with mono black (endlessly recurring shit with Memorial to Folly and Crucible of Worlds). Getting them off the sideboard toolbox with Karn can be good fun.
In any case, be sure to try Phylactery Liches at some point, shit is fun if you hide the life source in a Treasure Map then turn it into a land. Not sure if people smartened up and are actually playing artifact removal, BG has answers,
but from what I've seen around, a lot of decks don't.
Agruel's Blood Fast is probably the best draw you'll get, then there are Dread Shades to convert mana into damage.

If you are looking specifically to get some extra value out of recursion, there are things like Desecrated Tomb and Open the Graves to flood the board with shit.

With some casual searching the only one I'm kicking up has green instead of red. UBR's the usual reanimator with Drakuseth shenanigans, right?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hover around diamond tier with this deck.

It's my go to if I just want to win to finish the daily quests.

I usually force a person to run out of "steam" with this deck because it has so many cards in it. As long as I can survive to turn 8 or so, they are p. much done.

I know its not perfect, but I like how it never plays the same each game. I almost have enough cards to build a killer red/green murder deck.

I know i'm going to get shit for this but here it is!

Deck
4 Murder (M20) 109
2 Island (WAR) 254
2 Gravewaker (M20) 323
4 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
1 Dungeon Geists (M20) 57
4 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
4 Child of Night (GRN) 65
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
4 Dismal Backwater (M20) 245
4 Dimir Guildgate (GRN) 245
3 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
3 Pacifism (M20) 32
3 Swamp (ELD) 261
4 Disenchant (M20) 14
1 Plains (GRN) 260
1 Bolas's Citadel (WAR) 79
3 Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) 235
1 Swamp (RNA) 262
4 Ajani's Pridemate (WAR) 4
2 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
1 Warrant // Warden (RNA) 230
3 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
2 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Azorius Guildgate (RNA) 243
3 Didn't Say Please (ELD) 42
3 Lawmage's Binding (RNA) 190
2 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
2 Nightveil Predator (GRN) 191
4 Scoured Barrens (M20) 251
3 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
2 Orzhov Enforcer (RNA) 79
4 Despark (WAR) 190
4 Mortify (RNA) 192
4 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
1 Plains (ELD) 253
1 Plains (ELD) 252
2 Nightveil Sprite (GRN) 48
2 Realm-Cloaked Giant (ELD) 26
3 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Orzhov Guildgate (RNA) 253
3 Resolute Rider (ELD) 214
1 Folio of Fancies (ELD) 46
1 Wishclaw Talisman (ELD) 110
2 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
1 Forever Young (ELD) 89
1 Swamp (WAR) 258
3 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
4 Epic Downfall (ELD) 85
4 Senate Guildmage (RNA) 204
1 Doom Whisperer (GRN) 69
4 Consecrate // Consume (RNA) 224
1 Revival // Revenge (RNA) 228
2 Etrata, the Silencer (GRN) 170
2 Plains (M19) 261
3 Island (M19) 266
1 Swamp (DAR) 260
3 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Island (ELD) 256
2 Witch's Vengeance (ELD) 111
2 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195
2 Sphinx of New Prahv (RNA) 208
2 Plains (XLN) 263
1 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
1 Plains (WAR) 252
1 Plains (XLN) 261
1 Island (M19) 267
1 Swamp (DAR) 258
1 Plains (DAR) 253
2 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
2 Bake into a Pie (ELD) 76
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
4 Island (XLN) 265
3 The Magic Mirror (ELD) 51
1 Vantress Gargoyle (ELD) 71
1 Dovin, Architect of Law (RNA) 265
1 Eyes Everywhere (RNA) 38
2 Piper of the Swarm (ELD) 100
2 Dawn of Hope (GRN) 8
1 Island (WAR) 253
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
2 Lotus Field (M20) 249
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Gateway Plaza (WAR) 246
4 Planar Cleansing (M20) 33
1 Island (ELD) 254
2 Kenrith, the Returned King (ELD) 303
1 Ajani, Inspiring Leader (M20) 282
1 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
2 Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (WAR) 217
1 Swamp (ELD) 260
2 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
2 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
2 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
2 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
1 Finale of Glory (WAR) 12
1 God-Eternal Oketra (WAR) 16
2 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
1 Kaya's Ghostform (WAR) 94
1 Ajani, Strength of the Pride (M20) 2
1 Swamp (XLN) 271
3 Merfolk Secretkeeper (ELD) 53
1 Kiora Bests the Sea God (THB) 52
1 Athreos, Shroud-Veiled (THB) 269
1 Shadowspear (THB) 236
1 Finale of Revelation (WAR) 51
1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I built the RDW deck to see if playing with it changes perspective and shows weakness or something..

There is no real weakness, this deck is fucking nuts. There are like 5 different ways to kill opponent by turn 3 or 4, and if that somehow doesn't happen you can just topdeck one of like 4 cards on any of the following turns to insta-kill. The only way it loses is if you get super unlucky with card draw or if you're in a mirror match.

That said, I finished my weekly 15 wins in like 15 minutes which feels like cheating lmao

stupid ass deck standard is retarded

spectre

Arcane
stupid ass Bo1 is retarded
FTFY.

So you're saying there was no capable Fires operator to school you? It might get you out of gold, but from platinum up, the music stops. Lovestruck Beasts start to apear, people maindeck Aether Gust...
Early game interaction is crucial to beat RDW. I usually drop a turn two Fae of Wishes then wipe the board on turn three, if there's Xanax present, he usually eats a banishing light or gets Teferi'd,
two turns after the poor sod usually gets an Oketra + Cavalier of Flames in their face for a clean 21 damage out of nowhere.

But yeah, it's rdw as its best, being top tier aggro, which means if you slip, miss a land drop, it fucking murders you. And will continue to do so until fucking Xanax and Embercleave rotate.
Even with an anti-deck I would still lose in those circumstances, especially when they get the lucky Scorch Spitter and double Champion on the play. That's what Bo3 helps to iron out.

Still, there are also those people who just don't read the fucking cards, had a guy kill himself by trying to teferi a Torbran under double Leyline of Combustion.

Uncreation

Savant
I am currently playing a game of historic pauper vs a UG fog deck. No wincon, just deck the opponent the hard way. Is it one of you fucks? Some of you seem like the type, the kind of people that tortured small animals as kids to have fun.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I am currently playing a game of historic pauper vs a UG fog deck. No wincon, just deck the opponent the hard way. Is it one of you fucks? Some of you seem like the type, the kind of people that tortured small animals as kids to have fun.

I DO have a historic deck built like that however, sad to say, that was not me

btw vs these types of troll decks I think your best option is to concede by like turn 8 if they're not dead or very close to dead.

Uncreation

Savant
This game made me wish there was a "block player" option, so you never get matched with that person ever.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I haven't played this for a week, do you think many other people gave up on it? RDW ruined it for me.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
spoilers this weekend i think

also I saw a pic of some godzilla card that I guess they made for the set?? keyword mutate is you pay some amount of mana to perma add an effect to the creature like deathtouch or something

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom