Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC games - VOTE THREAD

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finished checking the results, 99% matches with what Lady Error posted. But A LOT of people just wrote "Hitman", "xcom", "doom" or "Tomb Raider" and expect others to use precious psychic power to guess WTF they meant.

Problem is, Lady Error and I are clearly guessing differently, so our totals in some of these games don't match... I might have to ask people to clarify WTF they meant.
:hmmm:
Clearly that means the first game of the franchise.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
^ What he said. This *is* the Codex after all, of course people are talking about the original games. Not reboots or remasters.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finished checking the results, 99% matches with what Lady Error posted. But A LOT of people just wrote "Hitman", "xcom", "doom" or "Tomb Raider" and expect others to use precious psychic power to guess WTF they meant.

Problem is, Lady Error and I are clearly guessing differently, so our totals in some of these games don't match... I might have to ask people to clarify WTF they meant.
So the first two games are thief?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Corrected the mistakes that were pointed out. Here is the updated list:

http://www.filedropper.com/voting_1

felipepepe should double-check anyway if he finds anything else.
That's amazing, thanks! I was doing it myself as well, but it's a very slow and boring process, as no doubt you know:

H1iR2E3.jpg

Looks like you gave the 5 points I gave to Master of Orion 1 to MoO 2 instead.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
^ What he said. This *is* the Codex after all, of course people are talking about the original games. Not reboots or remasters.

Some of those have very popular reboots, even on PC. Especially Xcom, Hitman and Doom, no matter what whiny bitches here might say.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Looks like you gave the 5 points I gave to Master of Orion 1 to MoO 2 instead.
Yeah, I went back and fixed that, was good to have a second set of data to check those.

Some of those have very popular reboots, even on PC. Especially Xcom, Hitman and Doom, no matter what whiny bitches here might say.
Exactly. If someone says "Hitman 2" there's no way to know if it's Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (2002) or Hitman 2 (2018).

Some people were so lazy with their votes that they didn't even notice that they voted twice for the same game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, I triple checked this, even made an entire sheet just to check the full spelling of each goddamn vote:

qGHyQdP.png

The result is that THE OLD X-COM has less points than in Lady Error's results, so it's actually 5th in the ranking, not 3rd.

All the other games have about the same scores, so i'm pretty confident that the results are accurate. Sheet is done, just need to write the text for the result post :)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You're right, what a naming mess... UFO: Enemy Unknown and X-Com: UFO Defense are the same game, while X-Com: Enemy Unknown is another (a.k.a. XCOM).

Not.AI

Learned
Interesting list. Over a thousand different games. But when you think how many different games total have been released... in the last thirty years... actually a very small subset.

What is more interesting is that the most liked games (even here) *that were specifically not RPGs* were commercially successful upon release rather than "successful over the next decade (or two)" or worse "cult hit", which is very different compared to a list of the most liked RPGs.

Other thing: "and theres always going to be that one dude who thinks deadly shadows is the best for some reason"

I am that guy.

Pretty simple. TDS: The player can fight more if the situation calls for it... (That was actually the design goal, according to Spector.)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I felt back in the day Home of the Underdogs really managed to find some hidden gems you couldn't find on lists like these. Some of them rather rough gems, but at least they had stuff you never found anywhere else.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If the posters wanted the right game to get counted, they could have provided enough information (like is it that hard to add the year after a title)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Other thing: "and theres always going to be that one dude who thinks deadly shadows is the best for some reason"

I am that guy.

Pretty simple. TDS: The player can fight more if the situation calls for it... (That was actually the design goal, according to Spector.)

Why are you listing a negative as your reason for preferring it? :smug:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I imagine the original Master of Orion ranked far lower than the sequel for the simple reason that far fewer people here actually played it. MOO 2 is a good game on its own right, but MOO 1 (which I played after 2) is a product of genius.

prengle

Savant
You're right, what a naming mess... UFO: Enemy Unknown and X-Com: UFO Defense are the same game, while X-Com: Enemy Unknown is another (a.k.a. XCOM).
somehow, the x-com/ufo naming situation is actually even more complex than you think it is and i dont even think i have everything regarding this issue straight in my head. shits confusing af:

• gollop the gremlin once said that ufo actually began development as "laser squad 2", so theres that
  • the first x-com game was originally released in europe under the name "ufo: enemy unknown" sometime in 1994 (can be obnoxiously hard trying to find specific release dates for older games)
  • microprose us didnt want to release it overseas named "ufo" because they didnt want their asses to get sued, so they changed the title to "x-com: ufo defense"
  • x-com ufo defense and ufo enemy unknown are the exact same games. there are some localization differences but im pretty sure thats it
  • this is really just a dumb fucking historical tidbit in 2020 ad but the original x-com demo released in the us had a different, cheesier name: "x-com: terran defense force". i dont know if there are any major differences in the demo itself but strategycore says the same demo occasionally calls itself "x: enemy unknown"??
  • the kraut version of ufo enemy unknown is called "ufo: der unbekannte gegner"(??). i know it was released in other languages but i dont know what those versions are called
  • there was a really janky port of ufo for the amiga a500 and a1200 and the cd32(!) and so on - mobygames says it was released in both the uk and the us, but wikipedia says it was us only for some reason? i'm honestly inclined to think it was only released in europe because i've personally never seen a copy of ufo defense for the amiga. every single screenshot of the box art and every single in-game recording i've seen has had the ufo: enemy unknown branding. if there are any amiga fanboys left on this gay earth please feel free to correct me on this one. if youre interested, you can currently buy a ufo enemy unknown amiga keychain off ebay..........
  • microprose ported ufo/x-com to the ps1 (complete with lag, cheesier cutscenes, shitty controls and the best version of the soundtrack imo) in late '95. in the most batshit insane coincidence ever, the pal version of the ps1 port was actually named x-com: enemy unknown... but in north america the game was still called x-com: ufo defense. why? because everyone at microprose had an early onset form of dementia... :cool:
  • the ps1 port was actually translated to glorious nipponese and released in japan (with some sexy cover art) under the name of "x-com: mishi naru shinryakusha" - i know ive seen this properly translated to english but i forgot what it means :shittydog:
  • microprose released a compilation package called "x-com: collector's edition" in 1998 which contains updated/patched versions of ufo defense and tftd that run natively under windows 9x as well as x-com apocalypse (unrelated, but was there a native windows 9x version of apoc released anywhere? afaik its a dos only game). ive seen the version of ufo in this called "ufo defense gold edition" before
  • additionally there are a bunch of mods for the original dos/windows version like xcomutil and ufoextender which may or may not add to the confusion
  • the firaxis reboot released in 2012 is called "xcom: enemy unknown", without the hyphen. "xcom" refers to the nu firaxis reboot stuff while "x-com" refers to the original series. very easy to keep track of :oops:
  • and finally openxcom (which has a fork with added changes/features called openxcom extended) by supsuper and yankes and warboy and meridian and dozens of other cool dudes is a faithful open source engine reimplementation of ufo defense + tftd that comes with a ton of bug fixes and qol tweaks and added features and mod support. its great, i probably wouldnt have gotten into x-com without it and i see myself going back to it on and off until the day i die.

tldr i forgot what point i was trying to make with this post. i legit dont know what im doing anymore and x-com has way too many fucking names. fuck everything and good night.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I imagine the original Master of Orion ranked far lower than the sequel for the simple reason that far fewer people here actually played it. MOO 2 is a good game on its own right, but MOO 1 (which I played after 2) is a product of genius.

Not really, most people consider MoO2 superior

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because of the Corona pandemy, I propose extending the time limit for voting.

You know... people stressed out because death, starvation, losing loved ones and their income.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Because of the Corona pandemy, I propose extending the time limit for voting.

You know... people stressed out because death, starvation, losing loved ones and their income.
While I sympathize, there's already a file with the votes & points out there, and a single 5 point vote would change the ranking of the Top 10 games, so it would be unfair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom