Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Third, the story is retarded. I do not know how can anyone here can call that shit "a grown up adult story" (duh skyway), it's just your regular conspiracy theory that any nut on www.abovetopsecret.com could have come up with, the conspiracy goes on even in Arcadia to put a fantasy twist on it. Of course if you are a Deus Ex fan you will love that nonsense.
Hey hey, I'm a Deux Ex fan, and I still thought the story for Dreamfall's plot is retarded.
The story didn't even make any goddamn sense. Which I wouldn't mind if Dreamfall were meant to be a post modern mindfuck, but no...

The plot is confusing, because it's intentionally a cliffhanger driven game that promises you a sequel that isn't even guaranteed to come out. (Shenmue III)
I still think it's hilarious how Zoe is supposedly globe trotting the world looking for her ex boyfriend Reza, but then she screws around with the first guy she meets in Japan.
With that said I bought Dreamfall, because I'm a horny bastard & I thought Zoe was fine as fuck.
Even though she has big ol' anime eyes like some crack head.
What is she supposed to be anyway?
Spanish or Italian?
I saw this Italian chick who looked just like Zoe.
Warning big mothafucking pic: ah screw it.
zoemicarelli1fn8.jpg

zoemacarellitw2.jpg

She even has the huge crackhead eyes.

Ringhausen

Augur
That Fatman review isn't fair at all, it's clear that the guy got bored with TLJ, started playing Dreamfall, got bored with that as well and made the review. Totally unprofessional.

A pity too since I would've liked to hear his criticism of the narrative.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Locue said:
Dear lord in hell, Dreamfall is one of the worst games ever made. The voice acting alone makes me want to drop a nuke on it.

I take it you didn't play too far from the beginning.
yes I also disliked many thing in game at first - at some point I simply turned on SWAT4 and started another cleansing of bad guys. however I decided to go deeper into Dreamfall - and the storyline quickly shadowed all bad things in the game.

ghostdog said:
I'll have to play it sometime. TLJ1 was the last of the classics.

people say that it's worse than TLJ1 in a gameplay part - and it is a really dumbed down thing - however - it is heavily praised for the storyline being much better than in TLJ1.
people at Funcom's forum while bashing the game for being too consolish - saying that the storyline is much better - that TLJ1 is more like a well-written fairy-tale, while TLJ2 is a much more atmospheric and grown up adult story. it's like kotor1<>kotor2 situation here. though the difference is that kotor1 was shitty.

a minor spoiler (with some major spoiler parts) that also makes TLJ2 story different from your usual plotlines. view at your own risk.

you don't save the world - and there's no happy ending

STMirrorMirror.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
So, 8 years ago he loved KOTOR? 5 years ago he liked Dreamfall?

At this rate in 5 years he should realize that both ARMA and all Paradox games are banal boring shit.
And on his qest for maximal realism ("PC games > console games 'cuz mouse is more precise"), he would follow Anders Breivik path.

:salute:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Skyway is a retard along the lines of fucking Miles Excitium Prower! Has that ever been questioned? Has it? If so then allow me to set that shit straight. In any decently run society, he would've been locked in a box and catapulted into Noel Gallagher's left eyebrow, never to be seen again, fucking ages ago! But that's decline for you.

And fuck Dreamfall "chronicles" or whatever. Seriously, I liked the Longest Journey as much as the next adventurefag but fuck going back to that shit after that godawful Dreamfall debacle.

spekkio

Arcane
Nah - Skyway is a 10/10 troll, one of the best Codex has. Just check how much drama he generates with his 4 (?) copy-pasta posts (newshit<oldshit/PCfags>consolefags/PCs>consoles/realistic>unrealistic).
We all should :salute: him.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Oh yeah? So is Noel Gallagher. But then Noel is never talking about video games so I guess he's cool all the time. Now imagine how cool that retard Skyway would be if he merged with even a small part of the genius behind world famous greatest Manchester band in the world ever Oasis?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh yeah? So is Noel Gallagher. But then Noel is never talking about video games so I guess he's cool all the time. Now imagine how cool that retard Skyway would be if he merged with even a small part of the genius behind world famous greatest Manchester band in the world ever Oasis?

I cannot argue with such sound Horse Logic. I am humbled Mr. Horse.

Cassidy

Arcane
But Dreamfall was good.

Even Alpha Protocol is better than this shitty interactive mess of disjointed plots never tied or explained in any form called a story.

Great thing it tanked, lest the Adventure Genre would be in the same situation the RPG genre is.

Better dead than declined. And it isn't even "dead" right now.

hello friend

Arcane
I'll admit there in't much "game" to it, and the stealth section in particular is awful. But it is a beautiful experience. Dreamfall is very atmospheric, with lovely art and music. The story isn't exactly a masterpiece, but it's well paced and pretty engaging.

I don't really get why people didn't like the ending. It ended on a cliffhanger - so?

Deleted member 7219

Dreamfall was a fun game, never played anything like it before or since. Really wish Tornquist had made a sequel instead of a different IP MMO.

Lev

Novice
It's good to see so many people share the sentiment that Dreamfall was a bad game. I really liked TLJ 1 when I played it some 5-6 years ago, not sure I would like it that much now, but it was still a decent adventure game, but the sequel was worse in every possible way. However, I would still be interested in a third part, if only to see if Tornquist could fix the mess he created.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Dreamfall was extremely ahead of its time.

When it was released in 2006, reviewers criticized its reliance on storytelling in place of puzzling and the addition of extra minigames such as fighting or stealth.

A focus on "narrative" is the dominant characteristic of mainstream adventure games today, and reviewers regularly extol the virtues of well-crafted stories in games like What Remains of Edith Finch and Firewatch. If these games feature gameplay, they are found in the kinds of minigames reviewers used to criticize Dreamfall for.

Last edited:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Zoe was really fuckable and the graphics were good at the time, otherwise Dreamfall was so shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom