Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
This reminds me of the Heritage shit in Tiny Dungeon, where 'Race' was replaced with 'Heritage' because the former is such an inelegant word today. R00fles.

And this is coming from an azn.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks to Corona-Chan, I let myself getting talked into getting back into DnD and GM'ing Lost Mines of Phandelver for a couple of absolute pen&paper newbies. So expect the occasional post where I'm complaining about how much I hate D&D from now on.

Oh, and by the way, if anyone knows a quick and unbureaucratic way on how to obtain the German version of Lost Mines Of Phandelver in digital format, I'd appreciate a PM. ATM there just doesn't seem to be a legal way for me to obtain the german module in time, but I gave up sailing the high seas a long time ago and don't know how the cool kids get their freebies these days.

Dayyālu

Arcane
and don't know how the cool kids get their freebies these days.

Usual share threads on the chans (/tg/) have been hit hard, but despite being horrible to use the content is still there. They went hard with link shorteners and masking links, tho, for obvious reasons. Check the share thread.

Did a quick check for German DnD material, found jack shit (but again, why German? I'd purposefully avoid DnD translations in my language.).

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Thanks to Corona-Chan, I let myself getting talked into getting back into DnD and GM'ing Lost Mines of Phandelver for a couple of absolute pen&paper newbies. So expect the occasional post where I'm complaining about how much I hate D&D from now on.

Oh, and by the way, if anyone knows a quick and unbureaucratic way on how to obtain the German version of Lost Mines Of Phandelver in digital format, I'd appreciate a PM. ATM there just doesn't seem to be a legal way for me to obtain the german module in time, but I gave up sailing the high seas a long time ago and don't know how the cool kids get their freebies these days.

I cast magic missile.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
and don't know how the cool kids get their freebies these days.

Usual share threads on the chans (/tg/) have been hit hard, but despite being horrible to use the content is still there. They went hard with link shorteners and masking links, tho, for obvious reasons. Check the share thread.

Did a quick check for German DnD material, found jack shit (but again, why German? I'd purposefully avoid DnD translations in my language.).
well okay, i'll give it a try. Want to use the german translation simply because I'm not fond of the ubiquitous usage of borrowed english words and names in a fantasy setting.

Gyor

Savant
A little better (glad it has a decent warforged) but it's still obviously an interior illustration they just slapped onto the cover, not composed well for a cover at all. Hastily painted concept art is all WotC commissions these days apparently. I miss the good old TSR days when they employed legit oil painters for their covers.
The first cover was a nicely painted piece of art, that had clearly received a lot of time and attention to detail. It was just thematically completely wrong for the over of an Eberron book. This new cover is probably the best they could get ready in time before the book went to the printers.

Neither comes close to the quality of the 2e art by Larry Elmore and others. Do artist like that no longer exist, or are they just too expensive for WotC these days?

It's that they are too unPC with their women being sexy and feminine even the woman warriors, it offends the neovictorian sensibilities of a certain segment of the wokefolk.

Gyor

Savant
https://www.enworld.org/threads/planeswalkers-guide-to-theros.671491/

I made a Theros thread with links to Planes Walker Guides, Theros Trailers, the 2 novels, ALL the Theros based short stories, and I think a couple other things like an interview Wes and James about Mythic Odysseys of Theros.

I really recommend reading the novels and short stories, there are some of the best MtG writing I have run into, and it really draws you into the setting. Many of the stories really invoke the tragedies, although a few have happy endings. They also feel deeper in someways then most MtG stories like the messages and emotional experiences conveyed in RL mythology, especially Grecoroman Mythology.

Bara

Arcane
From the credits page under Designers for the Theros splat book apparently Price still is working in the industry?

screen-shot-2020-05-09-at-1-13-48-am-png.121844

I only heard inklings of the drama surrounding her but didn't she get fired by Piazo and then by Arena Net for general poor attitude?

I guess she's a freelancer now but if WoTC did hire her they're probably in for some headaches.

Ninjerk

Arcane
From the credits page under Designers for the Theros splat book apparently Price still is working in the industry?

I only heard inklings of the drama surrounding her but didn't she get fired by Piazo and then by Arena Net for general poor attitude?

I guess she's a freelancer now but if WoTC did hire her they're probably in for some headaches.
Since I've decided to go down the rabbit hole: https://medium.com/@ColedOne/jessica-price-is-not-a-martyr-for-workers-rights-cd43ee8ffe43

Gyor

Savant

I heard about her getting fired by Arenanet for being needlessly a bitch on twitter, although I opposed her firing on free speech grounds, even though she is clearly a nasty person to work with.

But I hadn't heard about her being fired by Paizo.

Alot of idiots in the industry came to her defence and no just on free speech grounds, so I'm not surprised WotC hired her, she just used her feminist bullshit I'm a victim (but not really), so I get to act like a bitch to nice people card.

But hey, even unpleasant bitchy people can be talented if unpleasant, so hopefully she at least brought her A game to Theros.

Either way its the folks at WotC that are clutching this viper to their breast, so when she bites the hand that feeds her again in completely undeserved righteous indignation over some minor thing (or boredom or revenge for an imaginary slight) it won't be me. Odds are I'm betting its Chris Perkins whose career she wrecks, he is talented, but he has alot of self hatred towards men, I've pointed this out to him in concern on twitter. Chris Perkins would be easy prey for someone like Jessica Price. Plus he has a blue sense of humour at time.

Gyor

Savant
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5EMOOT

Some preview picks hinting at what is in Mythic Odyssesys of Theros.

Ashen Rider (an Archon) is Lawful Evil Celestial and Archon of Falling Stars is Lawful Good. No other edition of D&D has had so many evil Celestials in it.

Nymphs seem to be in except Dryad, who likely just uses the MM Dryad or the Dryad in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica. Still Oread (Chaotic Evil Fey), Neriad (Chaotic Neutral Fey), Lampad (Neutral Evil Fey), and Alesid (Chaotic Good Fey). I'm surprised that they gave alignments like that, the mono white manna Nymph you would think would be Lawful, and the Oread and Lampad at least neutral. I would have prefered alignment any honestly.

The Sheperd of Nightmares is the fiend I'm most looking forward to in the book.

Doomwake Giant and Hundred Handed One appear to be the giants that made it in.

Look really cool.

Gyor

Savant
The fact that a guy got fired for defending her and she still only cared about herself, instead of standing up for him and saying please don't fire him, I'm the one who started this fight, she ignores he got fired because that didn't fit her bullshit sexism narrative.

I hate feminism, it is used as a weapon and shield for people who are simply nasty, or to manipulate gullible people, or to outright gather more special advantages for women, or usually all the above.

J1M

Arcane
What does it say about 5e that it is the most successful edition in terms of sales but this is the only codex discussion.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What does it say about 5e that it is the most successful edition in terms of sales but this is the only codex discussion.

There's not a lot of tabletop discussion on the Codex, period. What does it say about Pathfinder 2e that there isn't even a thread?

How 5e became so popular is a mystery to me, though, since it's incredibly dull and boring to play. I really, really tried to like it, but I just can't.

Dayyālu

Arcane
There's not a lot of tabletop discussion on the Codex, period. What does it say about Pathfinder 2e that there isn't even a thread?

There's a thread, but there's nothing to say because it's a weird system. I started reading it yesterday and I'm completely puzzled about.... well, who's the final target for PF2? It ain't a 3.5/PF1 refinement. It has 640+ pages of stuff you gotta endure. It's not particularly well organized, and the system doesn't offer anything other systems don't offer already. It almost feels like they started copying WFRP and 4th edition out of ?????

It amused me endlessly also how they flat-out censored "race" (now "ancestries") and suggested that a game should never have on-screen excessive violence, sexual content like rape or improper use of mind control magic. Then I have open on another tab an old Paizo Adventure Path (Shattered Star 2) that I'm stealing some material from and the end boss of the module is described as "just finishing raping to death a female knight that she mind controlled as the PCs walk in".

I know that Paizo's writers are degenerates, but they aren't even coherent.

How 5e became so popular is a mystery to me, though, since it's incredibly dull and boring to play. I really, really tried to like it, but I just can't.

Pick up & Play. New players get 5th edition incredibly fast, and the "problems" of the system exist just for people that know other systems. It simply works.

TigerKnee

Arcane
How 5e became so popular is a mystery to me, though, since it's incredibly dull and boring to play.
Streamer culture really kicked off at around this time - they're "trained professionals" so they make it look much better than it really is.

Gyor

Savant

There's a thread, but there's nothing to say because it's a weird system. I started reading it yesterday and I'm completely puzzled about.... well, who's the final target for PF2? It ain't a 3.5/PF1 refinement. It has 640+ pages of stuff you gotta endure. It's not particularly well organized, and the system doesn't offer anything other systems don't offer already. It almost feels like they started copying WFRP and 4th edition out of ?????

It amused me endlessly also how they flat-out censored "race" (now "ancestries") and suggested that a game should never have on-screen excessive violence, sexual content like rape or improper use of mind control magic. Then I have open on another tab an old Paizo Adventure Path (Shattered Star 2) that I'm stealing some material from and the end boss of the module is described as "just finishing raping to death a female knight that she mind controlled as the PCs walk in".

I know that Paizo's writers are degenerates, but they aren't even coherent.

Pick up & Play. New players get 5th edition incredibly fast, and the "problems" of the system exist just for people that know other systems. It simply works.

I'll add that it's a lot easier on DMs then a lot of other systems, so even veteran dms can be drawn into it.

And it's got lots of digital support. Plus it's own popularity is self reinforcing because it's easier to find and join a 5e game then anything else out there.

Also some of the settings are starting to add mechanics that dial up the complexity. Ravnica had Guilds, Theros will go way beyond that, a piety system for 15 Gods, Supernatural Gifts (which seem like getting to select a second race so like an Anvilwrought Satyr would would be like a Fey Construct) or you can take a Heroic Feat, and the big momma that will make combats more interesting and complex, Mythic Monsters.

Bara

Arcane
Okay so D&D live 2020 is announced watch more celebrities play D&D I guess. Only thing to be of some interest is the new storyline maybe if it supposed to some how tie in to BG3 like Decent is.

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products

Apparently though this line was edited later on and they removed the bit mentioning "new setting." So it might just mean it's Theros as that got pushed back to a July release date. The new storyline might just be set in it too.

Also apparently Mearls didn't get the boot. And I now see some people posting #FireMikeMearls online.

Another one I haven't kept up with but whats he done to earn their ire?

TigerKnee

Arcane
Also apparently Mearls didn't get the boot. And I now see some people posting #FireMikeMearls online.

Another one I haven't kept up with but whats he done to earn their ire?
OSR personality Zak got #MeToo'd but the hatred for Mearls came before that when he was hired as a consultant on 5E. Zak was accused of inappropriate conduct by several people and they were supposed to be anonymously sending their accusations to Mearls, but Mearls made his big brain move of forwarding the identities of all his accusers to Zak himself, who promptly used the information as a weapon. The fallout from this is why you don't see Mearls doing much public relations any more

Alex

Arcane
What does it say about 5e that it is the most successful edition in terms of sales (snip...)

If that is true, how come it didn't get one tenth of the attention third edition got? By this time in 3rd edition lifetime we had all manner of sourcebooks, 3rd party materials and even settings (though it never did so well in that regard). For 5th edition we have... nothing much. Heck, even GURPS 4e probably got more material 5 years in than D&D 5e did...

Bara

Arcane
Dmsguild has a lot of the third party stuff. I always see a lot of new 5E items there when I'm checking for reprints of the books I missed from the older editions. (Really hopping on Champions of Mystara being offered for print there.)

Some of it is good but you'll have to shift through some low effort items to get to those. Sometimes there's releases that honestly aren't very good but are just popular because its made by some youtber/twitch streamer that's plays D&D.

The worst I remember recently was some one selling rules for toilet paper golems for a buck when the covid virus was just starting.

Codex Year of the Donut
What does it say about 5e that it is the most successful edition in terms of sales (snip...)

If that is true, how come it didn't get one tenth of the attention third edition got? By this time in 3rd edition lifetime we had all manner of sourcebooks, 3rd party materials and even settings (though it never did so well in that regard). For 5th edition we have... nothing much. Heck, even GURPS 4e probably got more material 5 years in than D&D 5e did...
there purposely isn't more splatbooks because modern D&D players are retards and need WotC to hold their hand for them. The concept of picking and choosing what to use from splatbooks is too difficult for their smooth brains.

catfood

AGAIN

Splat books are absolutely haram.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom