Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Half Life 2 is great and I love it

Stella Brando

Arcane
Many, many years ago I met a teacher after class (No, this isn't what you're thinking) because I needed a document filled out and signed. He was playing a video game - Half Life 2. It was the boat riding level.

The Codex wouldn't have liked this teacher, I imagine. He was supposedly teaching an art subject but would usually go off on a tangent about some philosopher. Now I don't mind philosophers when they're dead and have beards, but these kinds of philosophers sounded French and went on about metanarratives or post modernism or something.

Anyway, this document needed to include his views about me and my work, but I think he was a little unsure what to write about the kind of student who always comes to class but never asks questions. Instead of filling out my form, he just kept playing his video game. This led me to 2 possible theories:

1. He really wanted to play his game

- and/or -

2. This was an elaborate test to see how I reacted to having my time wasted and judge my character. I could either play a) the video game enthusiast who helped and supported a friend; or b) the patient girlfriend who didn't complain. I didn't feel like I really had the knowledge to do a, so I did b.

Anyway, I got a positive report and didnt have to blow anyone.

Now in 2020, I played this game and it's very good. Gordon himself is not an interesting character but his adventures are. I liked the parts the Codex complained about, like riding the car and the boat and the other car. I also liked the Tremors style level. I didn't really like the gothic level (which you guys recommend), its annoying and scary. Alyx is a good character.

Im sure Episode 3 will come out any day now (with a personal apology note from G.R.R. Martin).

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
I have never played the series. However, knowing that the series is incomplete and there will never be HL3, should I still give a try?
There's no point in waiting for the series to be finished as it's only the Episodes that are incomplete. Valve has never committed itself to making a definitive ending to the series. The plot of Episode Three is now known and it wasn't going to resolve things outside the episodic arc.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
There's too little actual shooting and too much cutscenes in the game. While the atmosphere is nice, atleast for the part in the big city, I simply want to use my guns more often in a FPS.

jackofshadows

Magister
Anyway, I got a positive report and didnt have to blow anyone.
:nocountryforshitposters:
There's too little actual shooting and too much cutscenes in the game. While the atmosphere is nice, atleast for the part in the big city, I simply want to use my guns more often in a FPS.
I agree but isn't this what HL is all about? They set direction in the first game and developed it in the second. The plot, the characters, and now the cutscenes (or they were in the first already?). And Valve have inspired many developers to take that approach, unfortunately.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Half Life's motto was "Run Think Shoot", but Half Life 2 for the most part made the Run and Shoot a lot less fun than Half Life 1. It was acceptable, that's about all I can think of it. I wish it was more like Black Mesa.

Curratum

It figures that someone with Ion Fury avatar would like HL2. Ion Fury is 80% bullshit linear level design straight out of HL1 and 20% actual retro high-speed blasting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom