Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top Non-RPG PC Games RESULTS!

Humanophage

Arcane
[Boring explanation mode: the first list is more useful if you wouldn't vote for many action games, the second list is useful if you would vote for many action games. See extended lists in the file. The rank gaining lists are a useful heuristic for discovering new games that fit your style in this dichotomy because they include the less-high ranking games that end up as extreme cases. E.g., Rimworld or Close Combat 2 end up greatly boosted in the first list and Devil May Cry 3 or F.E.A.R. in the second.]

That's a fun top, but I am perplexed by ye olde shooters being so high. 1 man = 1 vote is a sham. Why should we give equal consideration to these nostalgic twitchy voters as to true aristocrats of the soul who value perennial non-actiony classics for the mind?

I fixed this situation by weighting votes according to a non-actiony ('brainy') score, based on what fraction of your top-200 vote went to non-actiony games (see methods). There is also a separate 'actiony' score and top if you are the action-loving sort, based on the proportion of your votes that went to action or part-action games. Note that a non-actiony gamer may still like some actiony games and vice versa. Some games that are not actiony are actually better liked by actiony persons in relative terms, like Age of Empires II.

mAVeFID.gif

Method:
Games are classified into 'actiony', 'intermediate', and 'brainy' based on their genre - the emphasis is on the biggest culprits like FPS, so sorry if you think some smaller genres are misclassified. It's unclear if stealth games like Hitman are action games to the same degree as e.g. Quake, so they are given an intermediate score.

actiony = action, action adventure, FPS, platform
intermediate = stealth, survival, survival horror, MMO
brainy = all others

each user gets a 'brainy' score = [points for non-actiony games]*1.5 + [points for intermediate games]*0.25 + [points for actiony games]*0 divided by [total points for top-200]
each user gets an 'actiony' score = [points for non-actiony games]*0 + [points for intermediate games]*1 + [points for actiony games]*1.5 divided by [total points for top-200]

points are weighted based on your 'brainy' score for a separate 'brainy' top
points are weighted based on your 'actiony' score for a separate 'actiony' top

example: you're a brainy grognard with a brainy score of 1.3 and you gave 5 points to X-Com, so it counts as 1.3*5=6.5 points for it in the brainy ledger. If your spent the bulk of your vote on action games and your brainy score is low at 0.1 and you give 5 points to X-Com, then it counts as 0.1*5=0.5 points for the brainy ledger. On the other hand, if the brainy 1.3 user still insists on voting for Quake and gives it 5 points, then it counts as 6.5 points. This way, you can also see which actiony games still appeal to brainy people. (Same principle for the actiony ledger)

Greatest non-actiony rank gainers:
130 Rimworld
129 Sid Meier's Colonization
118 Kerbal Space Program
109 Victoria II
108 Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far
105 Silent Hunter III
104 Caesar III
104 Europa Universalis III
103 Fantasy General
103 Startopia
102 Myth II: Soulblighter
94 Master of Orion
92 Europa Universalis IV
90 Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
87 Day of the Tentacle
87 Invisible Inc.
86 XCOM: Enemy Unknown
84 Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
83 Transport Tycoon Deluxe
81 Civilization V
80 King of Dragon Pass
80 SimCity 4
78 Warhammer: Dark Omen
75 SimCity 2000
75 Factorio
70 Civilization III
68 Sacrifice
67 Myth: The Fallen Lords
67 Football Manager
66 Beneath a Steel Sky
66 Slay the Spire
63 XCOM 2
61 Primordia
61 X-COM: Apocalypse
59 Pharaoh
57 Disciples II: Dark Prophecy
57 Theme Hospital
56 Command & Conquer: Red Alert
56 Life is Strange
55 Panzer General
54 Tropico
53 Civilization
53 RollerCoaster Tycoon
52 Dwarf Fortress
52 Age of Wonders
51 Lemmings
50 The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
50 I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
49 Worms: Armageddon
49 Elite

Greatest actiony rank gainers:
161 Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
152 Resident Evil 4
151 Yakuza 0
139 F.E.A.R.
121 Pathologic 2
120 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
114 Sleeping Dogs
110 Alien: Isolation
110 Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
105 Crysis
105 Dishonored 2
103 Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven
102 Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
102 Mark of the Ninja
101 Hitman: Blood Money
100 Thief: Deadly Shadows
100 SWAT 4
97 Mirror's Edge
96 Unreal
91 Resident Evil Remake
89 Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
88 Hollow Knight
88 Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
85 Return to Castle Wolfenstein
85 Assassin's Creed II
84 Bully
79 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
78 Dishonored
78 Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
78 SOMA
75 Batman: Arkham Asylum
74 BioShock
74 Unreal Tournament 2004
70 Rayman 2: The Great Escape
70 Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
65 Hotline Miami
65 Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (aka ARMA: Cold War Assault)
63 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
62 Age of Mythology
59 Darkwood
58 Outcast
55 Hitman
54 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
54 Subnautica
51 Syndicate
51 Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
47 Beyond Good & Evil
46 Terraria
42 Gabriel Knight 1: Sins of the Fathers
41 Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast

Full file:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14K44Tv6xn64jV_5ixLHPTsIsYHhmEO11vdHzjg5SZYM/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry about the lazy formatting - just look at the BRAINS and ACTIONY sheets. Note that the top-1000 is also calculated, but I think it's too noisy.

Last edited:

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
Votes for Wolfenstein 3d were counted wrongly. 4 people votes for it each with 1 point = 4 points.
And yet according to results there were 5 people and 7 points.
Why?

If people really want the ranking to matter (which, yeah, it currently obviously is all over the place, but I agree that's not the point) wouldn't the easiest solution to just have another poll where Codexers rate from 1 to 5 whatever games in the top 200 (or 250, or 500, or whatever) that they've played and then look at the Bayesian average (i.e. the way Codex's GOTY polls work)? I'm not a statistician, but it seems like it would great rid of a lot of the wonkiness.

felipepepe

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If people really want the ranking to matter (which, yeah, it currently obviously is all over the place, but I agree that's not the point) wouldn't the easiest solution to just have another poll where Codexers rate from 1 to 5 whatever games in the top 200 (or 250, or 500, or whatever) that they've played and then look at the Bayesian average (i.e. the way Codex's GOTY polls work)? I'm not a statistician, but it seems like it would great rid of a lot of the wonkiness.
The biggest change that brings is allowing people to down-vote games. Combined with having a pre-existing ranking, means that people would "game" their votes A LOT.

And not just bombing Life is Strange, doing that would push people who think Max Payne at #18 is bullshit to maybe give it a 1/5 or 2/5 just to "fix" this issue, for example.

Besides, this is a top game list, in theory none of them are 1/5 or 2/5. The biggest issue is the MASSIVE number of entries x the relatively small number of people voting. We would need like 2000 people voting to make this be more coherent. OR do another round, same rules, this time just with the Top 200 games. Still, same issue about gaming the vote would apply.

Votes for Wolfenstein 3d were counted wrongly. 4 people votes for it each with 1 point = 4 points.
Why?
selkin gave it 3 points. It's on the sheet, all 5 votes are there. WTF are you talking about?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I like adventure games as much as (if not more than) the next Codexer with a soft spot for story-faggotry and underdog game genres, but I genuinely can't understand how it is possible that Life is Strange is ranked so highly, and I liked Life is Strange!

I'm curious more than anything else. I wonder if any of its voters will show up here to discuss their preference...

Last edited:
The biggest change that brings is allowing people to down-vote games. Combined with having a pre-existing ranking, means that people would "game" their votes A LOT.

And not just bombing Life is Strange, doing that would push people who think Max Payne at #18 is bullshit to maybe give it a 1/5 or 2/5 just to "fix" this issue, for example.

Besides, this is a top game list, in theory none of them are 1/5 or 2/5. The biggest issue is the MASSIVE number of entries x the relatively small number of people voting. We would need like 2000 people voting to make this be more coherent. OR do another round, same rules, this time just with the Top 200 games. Still, same issue about gaming the vote would apply.

Why?
selkin gave it 3 points. It's on the sheet, all 5 votes are there. WTF are you talking about?

Yeah of course. I was thinking that people would vote honestly, but of course people, and especially Codexers, are dicks. Thanks for the time you’ve already put into this.

Drowed

Arcane
If you torture the statistics enough, they'll confess to anything.

Any voting system will, by definition, always affect the results in some way. The rules you choose in the way you collect the data will undoubtedly deviate your result in some way. The question is, always, to analyze how this deviation will occur and try to compensate in the best possible way.

Every system will always have "holes" that can be abused by people for various reasons. If you allow anonymous voting, people will vote several times to affect the results. If you allow negative votes, people will vote negatively en masse to lower the score of some specific game. If you limit the number of votes, people will be forced to abandon amazing games because the number of votes is limited, and so on. The point is to accept that any list is more a "vague suggestion" of a group's preferences than a really reliable representation of reality.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like adventure games as much as (if not more than) the next Codexer with a soft spot for story-faggotry and underdog game genres, but I genuinely can't understand how it is possible that Life is Strange is ranked so highly, and I liked Life is Strange!

I'm curious more than anything else. I wonder if any of its voters will show up here to discuss their preference...
The hall of shame: SausageInYourFace, Arvennios, Joni Odin von Hassenstein, NicholasAH

That's all it took, just four people.

croitav

I hate 3D graphics

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The hall of shame: SausageInYourFace, Arvennios, Joni Odin von Hassenstein, NicholasAH

That's all it took, just four people.

There's also rusty_shackleford, even if he voted after the deadline, his vote seemed to have been taken into account, since there's 5 votes for life is strange.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

I find it funny that people are so butthurt about this game specifically while unabashedly voting all these dumb popamole shooters into top positions.

:popamole:

And I find it hilarious that the vote is apparently so shameful that its insinuated I am in hiding now or something.

I loved the game and that's never been a secret, I have made like an essay length post in the resident LiS thread back when I finished the game. No need to justify it any further than that. (Short answer: It made me feel feels.)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

I find it funny that people are so butthurt about this game specifically while unabashedly voting all these dumb popamole shooters into top positions.

:popamole:

And I find it hilarious that the vote is apparently so shameful that its insinuated I am in hiding now or something.

I loved the game and that's never been a secret, I have made like an essay length post in the resident LiS thread back when I finished the game. No need to justify it any further than that. (Short answer: It made me feel feels.)

Calling Life is Cringe a game is big fucking strech.
LS is bad and you should feel bad.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
One another thing.
According to rules of this poll:

"2. NO RPGs. We already have Top RPG polls, this is for everything else. If it's on our Top 101 RPGs list, it can't be voted here."

No games that appeared here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mwCeFhw6RoX_iMa8ZshNdZxEz4/edit#gid=238442825

should be allowed in this poll.

And yet FTL: Faster Than Light is on both.

Nice double standards felipepepe.
At #203, NOT on the Top 101 list, meaning that people do not in fact consider it an RPG, since it got rated much higher now.

But whatever, you clearly just want to be butthurt.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
One another thing.
According to rules of this poll:

"2. NO RPGs. We already have Top RPG polls, this is for everything else. If it's on our Top 101 RPGs list, it can't be voted here."

No games that appeared here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mwCeFhw6RoX_iMa8ZshNdZxEz4/edit#gid=238442825

should be allowed in this poll.

And yet FTL: Faster Than Light is on both.

Nice double standards felipepepe.

FTL is at #203, so it's not actually in the Top 101 RPG list.

And neither is it a clear-cut RPG, more like a hybrid.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Shit-taste mega-cuck J_C also posts on reddit? Yeah that fits.

Edit: Also lol at "nostalgia" as if no one actually plays these games anymore, just kys seriously

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom