Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
SF sells way worse than fantasy, whether it's games, movies or literature. Always have always will.
meh
There's RPG-lite scifi games that are equally successful to Skyrim e.g., borderlands 2 is just below skyrim on that list.

Shooters are different. First, you don't have a fantasy Borderlands equivalent to compare and second, fantasy is not really suitable for shooters.
All things being equal fantasy sells much better.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Borderlands 2 is also a reason why FO4 is way more colorful than FO3, more actiony, features randomized weapon attachments and quests like "go there and kill shit", and has a coop-focused stand-alone dlc (76).

Codex Year of the Donut
SF sells way worse than fantasy, whether it's games, movies or literature. Always have always will.
meh
There's RPG-lite scifi games that are equally successful to Skyrim e.g., borderlands 2 is just below skyrim on that list.

Shooters are specific. First, you don't have a fantasy shooter to compare and second, fantasy is not really suitable for shooters.
...Fallout 4 is a shooter though.

Vatnik Wumao
meh

Shooters are specific. First, you don't have a fantasy shooter to compare and second, fantasy is not really suitable for shooters.
A SF(ish) shooter, yes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
meh

but it's a sequel to FO3 which was more or less rpg.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Borderlands is not a RPG. Is a looter shooter. Skyrim is debatable. IMO if we consider BL2 a RPG, we need to consider almost all survival games as RPG's too because honestly SCUM has way more RPG on it than BL2 and Diablo 3 combined.

Funposter

Arcane

Only if you want to split hairs over what defines science fiction (cue grogs screaming "science fantasy!!"). Halo was the dominant video game franchise of the 2000s alongside Grand Theft Auto, Star Wars became a pop culture phenomenon grossing over 12 billion dollars across all of its films and Avatar (remember that lol) is still the highest grossing film ever adjusting for inflation. Indeed, for a 19 year period between Conan the Barbarian and Fellowship of the Ring there were basically no good fantasy films, while science fiction classics such as Robocop, Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens and The Matrix all released. While traditional fantasy settings have a rich history in literature and video games, the latter thanks to tabletop adaptions etc., I would say that fantasy has translated very poorly to film. Stuff like Marvel moves muddy the waters a bit when you try to classify them.

Funposter

Arcane

Only if you want to split hairs over what defines science fiction (cue grogs screaming "science fantasy!!").
We were talking about RPGs specifically, mate.

"games, movies or literature"

Edit: Beyond this shitpost, let me expand and contribute. Fallout 4 didn't sell worse than Skyrim because it's SF, it sold worse than Skyrim because even normies and game journalists realised it was totally barebones as an "RPG" and it didn't have the same appeal as Skyrim. Furthermore, Skyrim itself was a cultural phenomenon with an aggressive and historic marketing campaign, which made people who had never touched the RPG genre want to play it. I had a big sperg rant about this is another thread, but Fallout 3 sold better than Oblivion and New Vegas sold slightly less than FO3, proving that it's not the fantasy setting that matters, but the Bethesda open world formula. FO3 and NV were hugely successful science fiction RPGs, and if CD Projekt manage to capitalise on The Witcher 3's success with Cyberpunk 2077 (hint: they will) that will be another very successful sciience fiction RPG.

Edit again: here is the big sperg post but it's basically just the same as what Rusty said earlier https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...future-of-bethesda.128797/page-4#post-6527566

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
From what rusty posted Fallout 4 sold well compared to New Vegas, so I don't think its weaker RPG elements hurt it. I'd guess most "normies" were happy to have it feel more like a real FPS in combat, and the dialog system is like other popular franchises.

I'd guess its much lower sales compared to Skyrim are just Skyrim being a phenomenon, sci-fi-ish being less popular and maybe Bethesda fatigue. I think Bethesda expected Fallout 4 to do much better in Skyrim's wake though, which is why I've read "disappointment" in a bunch of articles. I'd also guess Bethesda freaked out, as corporations tend to do (look at how Disney responded to Solo making less than expected, they retooled their plans for the entire franchise). I'd guess that's why Stafall is taking forever, they panicked about Fallout 4 and 76's receptions and numbers.

Squid

Arbiter
FNV is a 100% RPG and it is based off FO3's systems, which means that FO3 is an rpg too (albeit a shit one).
I wouldn't say the gameplay of either is a 100% RPG but if people want to say FNV is a RPG but 3 isn't, then they're missing something somewhere. What you said is practically correct. If we consider FNV a RPG then FO3 is also one. Just not good.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wouldn't say the gameplay of either is a 100% RPG but if people want to say FNV is a RPG but 3 isn't, then they're missing something somewhere. What you said is practically correct. If we consider FNV a RPG then FO3 is also one. Just not good.

Yep. FL3 is a RPG and a shooter. But sucks as a RPG and sucks as a shooter. Just like FL4

Funposter

Arcane
From what rusty posted Fallout 4 sold well compared to New Vegas, so I don't think its weaker RPG elements hurt it. I'd guess most "normies" were happy to have it feel more like a real FPS in combat, and the dialog system is like other popular franchises.

A direct comparison to New Vegas is difficult, since New Vegas was 1. a spinoff, and 2. lambasted at launch for its myriad technical issues and bugs. I agree that a direct comparison to Skyrim is also difficult, however, on the basis that Skyrim was a once-in-a-generation smash hit. I've postulated that Fallout 4 was a disappointment for Bethesda and that they've been hesitant to work on TES 6 on the basis that it can't possibly perform as well as Skyrim either, a fear which is probably even greater with the abysmal launch of Fallout 76 and the backlash against the company as a whole and their core game design principles.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've postulated that Fallout 4 was a disappointment for Bethesda and that they've been hesitant to work on TES 6 on the basis that it can't possibly perform as well as Skyrim either, a fear which is probably even greater with the abysmal launch of Fallout 76 and the backlash against the company as a whole and their core game design principles.

That's my best guess too. Or they feel they finally had to do a whole new engine, which is taking them forever. Or a combination of the two.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fallout 4 not only got rid not only of ALL rpg elements but ALSO of cool gun mechanics. All cool classy guns like the .45-70 lever action to the cool ammo like dragon breath fully automatic 12 gauge and explosive .50 BMG rounds got removed.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The only really difference between Fallout 4 and Far Cry 4 is dialog trees.

Dialog wheel.... Far Cry 4 as a shooter is better. Has more cool weapons like the .700 nitro double barrel and has cool vehicles. But IMO the best Far Cry is FC2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom