Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

Yeah of course I read the update. The changes could be imperceptible and I could be swayed by wishful thinking, hence my phrasing. Please never challenge me again because it hurts my e-cred ok

Darkzone

Arcane
On 100 I started to feel confident enough to try stuff out in combat but since I played for fun and never watched any tutorials I was still kinda bad, I couldn't do thrust or god forbid Left to Right swing and was mad at the dev who said he can do it reliably 9 times out 10. I was certain that that was a lie and this maneuver should be rebinded to do it easier. Now at 400h mark I can indeed make it 9 out of 10 and don't see the problem anymore. The one-hit kills and homerun swings as I did in the gif above I learned only after 250h, not by tutorials or guides, just by simple observation on what I'm doing good. I did not even knew it was possible untill it suddenly became my favorite move.
I feel like the real learning starts in arena once you get your character to master level with 10 skills to offer you full combat control. Before that you are just learning the ropes. Then you assemble your first exceptional plate and start wrecking. The plate and layers offer so much protection that it gives you a lot of room for error, and gives you this feeling of invulnerability. Influenced by it you soon become a bit overconfident in combat and start experimenting and take risks, often eating hits that would've killed you if you were unprotected. Coupled with experience you accumulated up until this point this is the part where you find your most effective combat move and weapon and perfect it while everything finally starts to come together.
All should avoid shields like a plague though. You can't learn nearly as much from their slow defensive playstyle.
You have learned something about martial arts. Now go and train in reality Kenjutsu and Kendo for at least 5 years and after that you should have the best basis for HEMA.

Technomancer

Liturgist
You have learned something about martial arts. Now go and train in reality Kenjutsu and Kendo for at least 5 years and after that you should have the best basis for HEMA.
Pointless endeavor for one who almost never leaves his home. Flesh is dust anyway. In no time my body will get old and start to crumble. I will bother only if humanity stops aging.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Exanima 0.8.0.1 hotfix
Just a first hotfix, expect more patches over the next few days.

• Fixed potentially invalid NPC builds being applied and generating errors

• Fixed activating golems with possession and inventory open replacing player inventory

• Adjusted two handed sword LtR motions to be more forgiving with timing

• Fixed some swing sound anomalies with certain weapons

• Improved efficiency of a very sharp weapon

• Various content and other fixes

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'd love to see a multiplayer arena. It'd be interesting to see how the strategies against the AI hold up against other players.

Harthwain

Magister
I've made an observation:

This game is hard.

I bought it yesterday.

I can confirm this. Played it for a couple of hours, managed to beat the practice arena, still die in most fights in the real arena and in the dungeon exploration.
Practice arena has all skills unlocked, which is probably why it feels easier than both the dungeon and the real arena.

Camera is what kills me....

It helps binding the function to center view to the mouse side button if you have one - simply hold it to lock the have the camera rotate with the camera. This will hamper the angle and precision of your swings, though, so you can keep it held while circling your opponent and then release when striking.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Camera is what kills me....
You must unlearn what you have learned.

Being able to move and fight from any camera angle takes time to learn, but is essential. Hitting Spacebar resets the camera, but should only be used when you are obscured by a nearby wall. It's tempting to use it all the time at the start, but then you're wasting focus and button presses on fighting the camera instead of flowing with it.

One way I remember practicing with the camera in combat was to start the novice arena and just move around my opponent without attacking. By being in combat mode (Tab), your character will automatically attempt to block incoming attacks as long as you're not attacking. But it's even better to avoid attacks completely by staying out of the opponent's range like Bronn did against Vardis Egan. Just dart around your opponent, restarting after you inevitably take hits and die, until moving around in any camera angle starts to feel natural to you.

Learning how to move properly should take precedence over learning how to attack. Knowing how to pull off a backhand strike is useless if you cannot move your character into a position where the attack would connect with the enemy.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spacebar shouldn't be used in combat, the main dev said so multiple times. I've bound camera rotate button to mouse 4 (thumb), and use space for the alt attack instead.

Technomancer

Liturgist
I'd love to see a multiplayer arena. It'd be interesting to see how the strategies against the AI hold up against other players.
Badly. AI is still lacking many features and feels slow and dimwitted once you play enough to learn their quirks. After killing so many bots I think that fighting a good player will feel like a boss battle.

Old Hans

Arcane
I cant believe this game been around 2012. I was watching some gameplay footage and it captures the dungeon enviroment so perfectly. how big is the actual dungeon?

I cant believe this game been around 2012. I was watching some gameplay footage and it captures the dungeon enviroment so perfectly. how big is the actual dungeon?

Its multi-layered, sprawling, and labyrinthine - much like my rectum. I doubt either would disappoint you. Best bring a torch, ink, paper, and plenty of lube.

Skdursh

Savant
Combat is tough at first but once you learn to not attack except when countering you're pretty much good to go. Wait for enemy to attack. Avoid it and then counter. Repeat.

Technomancer

Liturgist
13/4/20

It's been a busy week. We're working through various arena update and other features. There's a lot of stuff underway for arena, for now we'd rather keep it mostly under wraps though. We don't want to spoil too much in advance, and we want to have a clearer idea of what the complete list of features for the update is.

Madoc has been working towards the material system for procedural weapons, but we've been wanting to overhaul our material system for a while now, to make authoring good materials much easier, cheaper and solve some specific issues.

With the new system will come lots of graphical improvements, also to lighting in general, shadows and reflections.

We're also finally trying to complete the revamped options screen, which will add many new settings that have been requested by different players over time.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Technomancer

Liturgist
20/4/20

We've made good progress on procedural item (weapon) "factories". We now have a tool that allows us to define the specifications of a particular object, what its components are, how they fit together, how they modify its properties etc.

We've also figured out a great solution for multiple grips and a more detailed model for the mechanics of the various parts of a weapon. With the procedural system we can easily include more information about how weapons should behave on impacts and more.

The new material and shading system is mostly complete. We're seeing how we can use it to make many common materials better and more detailed with no overhead. This was done now as a prerequisite for procedural weapons. The next step is to create an updated procedural material generator for weapons, and then we can start properly producing many new weapons.

As part of the shading update, local reflections were significantly improved, they are more accurate now which allows us to use them on a lot more surfaces and achieve a more realistic and consistent look.

Madoc spent some time trying to reduce some driver overhead that is bottlenecking performance in many cases. Unfortunately it turns out not much can be done without some pretty drastic changes, so we're leaving it for now.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Excited for multiple weapon grips - its disappointing that most games don't simulate the main advantage of polehammers ie being able to switch between the heads based on the armor of the target. Hopefully murder-strokes with swords will also be possible but that's probably way more complicated to do.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
We've made good progress on procedural item (weapon) "factories". We now have a tool that allows us to define the specifications of a particular object, what its components are, how they fit together, how they modify its properties etc.

We've also figured out a great solution for multiple grips and a more detailed model for the mechanics of the various parts of a weapon. With the procedural system we can easily include more information about how weapons should behave on impacts and more.

Is it system for that game only or could it be sold for using in other games? Probably very stupid question, I realize that.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Is it system for that game only or could it be sold for using in other games? Probably very stupid question, I realize that.
Since Madoc writes everything in engine himself he is against licensing it to others and technology sharing is very rarely done in the business anyway. If others want to adapt this feature they have to go the long road of developing it from scratch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom