Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

matogl0396

Educated
I have been lurking on a lot of the dungeoncrawler stuff on this forum for a long time. I suspect the regulars here will appreciate my collection... :)

First, Class of Heroes. Fun fact is Class of Heroes 2 NA version was a very limited run, and this is even the unique box art for backers of the failed Kickstarter which was only a small portion of said run (I believe there are only ~ 500 copies total) -- mine is sealed and even has the original certificate of authenticity with matching holographic ID (pictured), this is the rarest game in my collection.

Class-of-Heroes.jpg

matogl0396

Educated
Finally, and most dear to me personally, my full set (I think) of Experience Inc titles. This includes their Wizardry Xth games when Team Muramasa was known as Michaelsoft (the only actual licensed Wizardry products pictured in my posts).

Experience-Inc.jpg

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I think the guys at experience inc were part of starfish at one point too. at least when they made wizardry empire 1 & 2 on ps1.

matogl0396

Educated
I think the guys at experience inc were part of starfish at one point too. at least when they made wizardry empire 1 & 2 on ps1.

I got strong dejavu reading your reply. I did some Googling and found this article, which I had read before but forgotten. This interview states that Motoya Ataka worked on Wiz Empire series at some point prior to directing Wiz Xth, and then in turn founding Exp Inc. It doesn't say WHICH Empire games he worked on, but even Wiz Empire 3 came out before Wiz Xth 1 (2003 vs 2005), so could have been all of them, not sure!

Good call Dararnae and thanks for posting. Now I feel like my collection is incomplete though, haha. Official Wizardry titles are my next target for collecting anyway though, so I'll just go for Empire first eh.. :)

https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/2016/10/08/interview-motoya-ataka-on-japanese-dungeon-rpgs/

Dorarnae

Arbiter
umm not sure about empire 3 on ps2 and empire on gameboy. but I do remember seeing his name during credit at the end of Wizardry empire 1 on ps1.
If you're going for wizardry title, do get prisoners of the battle, I really liked that one. Wizardry alternative neo was pretty good too and dimguil too.

matogl0396

Educated
umm not sure about empire 3 on ps2 and empire on gameboy. but I do remember seeing his name during credit at the end of Wizardry empire 1 on ps1.
If you're going for wizardry title, do get prisoners of the battle, I really liked that one. Wizardry alternative neo was pretty good too and dimguil too.

DUDE, I love watching these DRPG long plays on Youtube when I'm going to sleep. I was just watching a video and saw the guy named his character DORARNAE. Are you Drpg 4ever!?!? Awesome man, love your vids. :)

Dorarnae

Arbiter

DUDE, I love watching these DRPG long plays on Youtube when I'm going to sleep. I was just watching a video and saw the guy named his character DORARNAE. Are you Drpg 4ever!?!? Awesome man, love your vids. :)

hehe yeah that's me ;)
I haven't played any drpg for a while now but I'll eventually go back to some, I am starving :(

Casual Hero

Augur
I have yet to beat Wizardry 1, but dang it, I'm going to start up a game of Elminage: Gothic and see how far I get.

Edit: This is my current party composition: Brawler/Cleric->Lord(ASAP)/Samurai/Bard/Alchemist/Mage
A little over an hour and a half later and I've fully explored the first level of the Caves; now every character is at level 3 or 4. Tomorrow I will go and see what is on level 2 of the caves...

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Just started ToFL as my first foray into the series, I am really digging the aesthetics in particular, the art is great and the creatures have very expressive animations for an early PS2 title. It doesn't seem to have any issues emulating either. I think I'll stick with it.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Just started ToFL as my first foray into the series, I am really digging the aesthetics in particular, the art is great and the creatures have very expressive animations for an early PS2 title. It doesn't seem to have any issues emulating either. I think I'll stick with it.

I am also playing it on an actual PS2! Where are you up to? I am trying to find my way past the randomly generated Labyrinth (B4) - about Level 9 with my front row being Ricardo, Elven Warrior Kyo, with the backrow being Sara and Elven Bishop. I am going to turn my elven warrior (yes not optimal I know!) into a Knight soon, and thinking about whether to replace Ricardo with a hand made character.

Puukko

Arcane

I am also playing it on an actual PS2! Where are you up to? I am trying to find my way past the randomly generated Labyrinth (B4) - about Level 9 with my front row being Ricardo, Elven Warrior Kyo, with the backrow being Sara and Elven Bishop. I am going to turn my elven warrior (yes not optimal I know!) into a Knight soon, and thinking about whether to replace Ricardo with a hand made character.
Didn't get terribly far, around the point where you meet Virgo.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
looks like there'll be a third game for Mary Skelter. not a big fan of the serie but it's probably the best dungeon crawler compile heart can do.(at least better than moero chronicle).
that violin though, I might end up ordering that just for the music...

Nostaljaded

Savant
Dorarnae, this probably will be at the top of your DRPGs to-buy list.

Experience Inc XBOne timed-exclusive on 11th June, PS4 & Switch in Winter 2020

黄泉ヲ裂ク華 / Yomiwosakuhana

Exploration
vL4bRZu.png

tgEh0V9.png

Battle (w option of simple/detailed UI)
6OSX77o.png

Skills
JRuF9zV.png

Jobs System
(probably just an adaptation of their usual 8-class system; Screenshot Interpretation - Fighter, Knight, Unarmed/Monk, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Samurai?, Ninja)
anfZhDA.png

Equipment & Stats
jXY9CRn.png

Reinhardt

Arcane
looks like there'll be a third game for Mary Skelter. not a big fan of the serie but it's probably the best dungeon crawler compile heart can do.(at least better than moero chronicle).
that violin though, I might end up ordering that just for the music...

It would be much better series if they cut male character completely. I wanted to kill him every time he opened his mouth.

Twizman

Scholar
Apparently MrRichard of Wizardry fame got permabanned from romhacking.net. I don't know what's going on at that website, one of my other favourite artists Morinis (Sinis) of Castlevania fame also got banned. Probably jealousy and nepotism. Still like touching base to see what's in the works though.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Pretty much... I supported a hack of Donald Trump that a person named Jackass did and said whoever removed it was a douche (which apparently was the admin)... I honestly thought it was the asshole submission remover who recently got removed from the staff Zynk. Now I am banned and my material can't be uploaded there anymore until they decide to revoke it which will probably never happen. If you or anyone you know supports them through Patreon I suggest you undo your payments per month until they become less biased and use more fair practices on their site.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I am glad you guys like the work we do! Besides doing it as a hobby it's great to hear that people are enjoying what we do! Thank you. We got the Relics project going on at the moment and also a special surprise which hopefully will be finished real soon for those who like games like X-Larn, Castle of the Winds, and Ragnarok (The old school DOS roguelike)!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I am glad you guys like the work we do! Besides doing it as a hobby it's great to hear that people are enjoying what we do! Thank you. We got the Relics project going on at the moment and also a special surprise which hopefully will be finished real soon for those who like games like X-Larn, Castle of the Winds, and Ragnarok (The old school DOS roguelike)!

We really need an alternate site for romhacking.net

matogl0396

Educated
Dorarnae, this probably will be at the top of your DRPGs to-buy list.

Experience Inc XBOne timed-exclusive on 11th June, PS4 & Switch in Winter 2020

黄泉ヲ裂ク華 / Yomiwosakuhana

Exploration
vL4bRZu.png

tgEh0V9.png

Battle (w option of simple/detailed UI)
6OSX77o.png

Skills
JRuF9zV.png

Jobs System
(probably just an adaptation of their usual 8-class system; Screenshot Interpretation - Fighter, Knight, Unarmed/Monk, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Samurai?, Ninja)
anfZhDA.png

Equipment & Stats
jXY9CRn.png

Yea I saw this a week or 2 ago, omfg drool. If we're lucky, it could get localized in 2021 ~ 2022, but I don't suppose that's anywhere close to guaranteed either. :( Need to learn the moonspeak one day...

Dorarnae

Arbiter
it's actually not that bad to play dungeon crawler in japanese if you don't care about the story and just go for the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom