Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Finally found the time to put together and implement a decent modlist that's compatible with KOTOR 2 TSLRCM, now that I've done the same for and beaten KOTOR 1 again.

It's my first run with TSLRCM actually, I remember loving KOTOR 2 when it came out but I never did finish it back then. But I'm looking forward to experiencing it again, and appreciating it even more now that I know how shafted it's development was.

Right now it's Lightside Consular > Jedi Master for the torturous canonicity. Game's been making mincemeat of my character in the early planets, but playing plasma grenade hide-&-seek with Visas in the Ebon Hawk was a highlight. I intend to do a Darkside Guardian > Sith Marauder run afterwards for maximum catharsis.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Finally found the time to put together and implement a decent modlist that's compatible with KOTOR 2 TSLRCM, now that I've done the same for and beaten KOTOR 1 again.

It's my first run with TSLRCM actually, I remember loving KOTOR 2 when it came out but I never did finish it back then. But I'm looking forward to experiencing it again, and appreciating it even more now that I know how shafted it's development was.

Right now it's Lightside Consular > Jedi Master for the torturous canonicity. Game's been making mincemeat of my character in the early planets, but playing plasma grenade hide-&-seek with Visas in the Ebon Hawk was a highlight. I intend to do a Darkside Guardian > Sith Marauder run afterwards for maximum catharsis.

I'm undertaking the opposite; I've always played the game with TSLRCM and am now trying it vanilla for the first time.

Perhaps the endeavor is ill-advised, but I'm curious to see how much of the content that I've become familiar with was added on by the restoration mod.

Ghulgothas

Arcane

I'm undertaking the opposite; I've always played the game with TSLRCM and am now trying it vanilla for the first time.

Perhaps the endeavor is ill-advised, but I'm curious to see how much of the content that I've become familiar with was added on by the restoration mod.
I'm on Nar Shaddaa as my first planet, and so far I've only noticed a handful of new cut-scenes, dialogue chains and encounters. I hear its way more substantial from the Telos Return on to Malachor, and that the vanilla KOTOR 2 ending is comparable to a Twilight Zone episode without it.

I've been cross-referencing from this list; https://deadlystream.com/topic/139-whats-restored-in-tslrcm/, to see all of what's been put back in.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Eh? The default weapon sounds in Doom 3 are terrible.. especially the pistol and shotgun which sound like toys. Their volume is way too low in comparison to other sounds in the game. That's why I recommend installing one of the weapon sound mods.

They mostly sound weak, yeah. The plasma gun sounds awesome though. Also the look and reload animations on all of them are great, especially the chaingun and plasma gun. I got the impression that's more what he was referencing. The visual design of the game is stellar overall, IMO.

cosmicray

Savant
So...

Nier: Automata - Finished Ending A. Really wished the first "part", "ending A" or whatever would be far longer. I think first Nier was longer, but of course, while it had New Game+, it wasn't that different from normal experience. I started Automata second time and yeah, it's different enough compared to NG+ in original.

Dying Light - infected everywhere. Gonna be my go-to game for a year, I think. Gameplay is fun, but story sometimes is a chore. The game is a timesink all right.

The Witcher 3 - Started reading some books and decided to continue playing it. Haven't played enough, but not a fun of colorful art direction indoors. Goes against world perception as cruel and unfair.

Skull Girls - Trying to play a fighting game. Sometimes don't know what's going on. Thankfully I'm playing on gamepad.

Half-Life - It was a mistake to pick hard difficulty.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished Doom 3 and both expansions. Not a big fan of Resurrection of Evil. It leans too hard into the grabber thing, and later levels lean too hard into the super power relic thing, throwing lots of high powered monsters at you at once in small areas, forcing you to slow time. It all feels a bit gimmicky. The two new enemies aren't anything special really, imps that are much faster and hell knights that do more damage, basically. I expected more from the story since it was a "real" expansion but it was pretty meh, with little attention paid to it. The whole thing just feels like a less impressive do-over rather than something cool. The double-barrel shotgun is fun though, and its presence was missed in the original. It's also in Lost Mission, which I honestly might have enjoyed more.

The main Doom 3 campaign is my obvious favorite though. I kind of like the slower paced and more System Shock-y take on the series, and the story is solid and feels like one cohesive experience. It's also long as fuck so neither expansion is needed. Spent as much time on these three campaigns as I would most RPGs.

Now off to finish Halo I guess.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Replaying VTMB, 12 years since the last time I opened that damn sarcophagus.

almhyFm.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Enjoying No One Lives Forever more and more.

I think the first couple of chapters (Marocco and Berlin) bored me because I've played them so many times (at least one aborted replay).
Now that I'm in the parts of the game I hardly remember it's more fun.
I'm also laughing much more of this game than of all the spy "comedies" that inspired it together.

But being older and more experienced I now see that much of the attraction of the game comes from the humour, and that the game mechanics are relatively weak.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still have Deadfire and all DLC from the kickstarter but have never even started it. Thought about downloading it and finally giving it a run. Instead bought Pathfinder Kingmaker + one DLC for £20 because I was just feeling more like I wanted a D&D experience. Glad I did, this thing is brilliant so far. I was worried there would be a lot of combat, and there is, but the combat is actually really well done. My PC is a Conjuration Wizard and having a high old time with all of the bizarre debuffs they get. That said, I chose Enchantment as opposition school which means I haven't got Sleep which is very powerful in early BG1 but maybe that doesn't matter there - there are fewer huge hoards of low level enemies (BG1 is full to the brim of bandits).

Still keen on giving Deadfire a try but stuck into this now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got my 6th character in Tales of Symphonia. Combat is getting more fun, now that I have more advanced moves and I can get higher combos going. I hate the world map and how zoomed in it is.

I got the C ending in Drakengard 3. This is the best shit game I have played in a while. While yes, it could be considered shit in gameplay and performance (thank you emulator!) department, I am unable to put it down.

I downloaded the turn-based mod for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I have all the DLCs too. Finally, I will play this game for real.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Finished Duke Nukem 3D, all expansions and so far Duke Nukem Forever mod.

Finished Powerslave.

Taking a break from the build engine games with maybe UnderRail or something of that nature before I tackle Blood :cool:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Still have Deadfire and all DLC from the kickstarter but have never even started it. Thought about downloading it and finally giving it a run. Instead bought Pathfinder Kingmaker + one DLC for £20 because I was just feeling more like I wanted a D&D experience. Glad I did, this thing is brilliant so far. I was worried there would be a lot of combat, and there is, but the combat is actually really well done. My PC is a Conjuration Wizard and having a high old time with all of the bizarre debuffs they get. That said, I chose Enchantment as opposition school which means I haven't got Sleep which is very powerful in early BG1 but maybe that doesn't matter there - there are fewer huge hoards of low level enemies (BG1 is full to the brim of bandits).

I was surprised by how good it is. A tiny bit bland, and the timer stuff is meh, but the game is very incline. Really long though, I took a break after 100 hours. Gonna head back in soon now that Doom 3 is done.

Codex Year of the Donut

I was surprised by how good it is. A tiny bit bland, and the timer stuff is meh, but the game is very incline. Really long though, I took a break after 100 hours. Gonna head back in soon now that Doom 3 is done.
You're going to regret continuing.

Curratum

What, PoE 2 is 100+ hours? Is there any actual content and dungeons on those random islands?

Naraya

Arcane
I have finished Doom 64 yesterday and I think it's a really well made, old-school FPS. The funny thing is, I didn't even know it existed several weeks ago, and then I was sure it's a shitty port of a console game. Boy I was wrong.

I played Doom and Doom II in my youth, then tried Doom 3 for a while but I did not particularly like it for many reasons. I've never played later installments as I found them too modern for my taste - it just wasn't the Doom game I knew.

Doom 64 proved to be everything I liked about original Doom games and more. Tight levels packed with enemies, cool arsenal of weapons, fast-paced no bullshit action, no useless lore getting in the way - just pure shooting fun. Even though there are quite a few weapons available, I used the Super Shotgun like 70% of the time, rocket launcher 20% of the time (for tougher enemies) and random other weapons for bosses or trash. Let me tell you, fragging with Super Shotgun is one of the best experiences in any shooter - the feeling it packs is just great.

I liked the length of the game and overall difficulty, which was ramped up in the second 'mini-campaign' - The Lost Levels.

Overall - it was a very enjoyable experience and I recommend the game if you enjoyed the gameplay of early shooters and inability to jump/slide/whatever doesn't bother you. On my personal FPS list, Doom 64 goes right below Quake.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Recently I decided to replay first three Thief games and I just finished first two games, first replay since they were released.

I love those two games but I never could decide which I prefer.

After playing them again I can say that, in my opinion, that Thief 2 is a superior game.

I find that Thief Gold has a better story and is more challenging but Thief 2 just has a better level design.

Now Im going to play Deadly Shadows , I never finished it since I didnt think too highly of it when it was released. But maybe I just didnt give it a fair chance.

Also Im playing Hunt Showdown, which Im having fun with even if I suck at it.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Recently I decided to replay first three Thief games and I just finished first two games, first replay since they were released.

After playing them again I can say that, in my opinion, I think Thief 2 is a superior game.

I find that Thief Gold has a better story and i more challenging but Thief 2 has just a better level design.

Now Im going to play Deadly Shadows , I never finished it since I didnt think too highly of it when it was released. But maybe I just didnt give it a fair chance.

what about thief 4?

flyingjohn

Arcane

After playing them again I can say that, in my opinion, thst Thief 2 is a superior game.

I find that Thief Gold has a better story and is more challenging but Thief 2 just has a better level design.

I would recommend that you play the dark mod and some fan missions,it feels like a true thief 3.There is post about it on the codex:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/true-thief-4-dark-mod-is-released.86948/

And personally gonna recommend perilous refuge as a custom mission.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Drakengard 3 is completely finished. What a ride! I guess why I like Taro games is that he goes for deep themes, but he never takes his games too seriously. Long ago, I beat the first Nier long ago, but I only did the A Ending. I need to rectify that. I will do everything I can to reach the other endings.

Dragon Quest XI, I got the six orbs that I was required to collect. Time to move on with the story. I was hesitant about the playable characters before the game, but I quite like them. If you'r not having Draconian Challenges on, I'd say that the game would have mindless, press attack to win combat, but now you have to be think things through with buffing, debuffing, and status ailments. This is the perfect JRPG for people who just like the classic formula.

Broken Sword 2 - the Smoking Mirror: Remastered. I really like adventure games. I was looking for a quick game to finish. Saw this in my Steam library and thought to myself: Why not?

Pathfinder: Kingmaker + DLC. Some issues with mod managare aside, I am having a lot of fun to play this in turn-based mode. I'm going to take story characters with me, and I myself am a monk. We'll see how it goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom