Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They have one thing in common - they don't seem to like personal responsibility all that much, and want access to other people's property without said people's consent, usually under a benign pretense - the interests of "the people", "the nation", whatever.
Learn about the difference between personal property and private property, fool. Nobody can take away your toothbrush under communism.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I’d say more than anything, the big problem is how weak the antagonist, i.e. The Board, is. They’re both extremely incompetent and lolrandumb evildoers. It’s totally fine to make a completely morally black villain, but then they need to be entertaining or engaging and the Board is just fucking boring.

Caesar’s Legion is pretty much pure evil, but Caesar himself is at least interesting enough that you want to know more about what his deal is, and the Legionaries are very competent especially compared to the decadent and corrupt NCR which is riddled with in-fighting.

There is no Caesar in The Outer Worlds - no real villainous figurehead. You see those posters of Chairman Rockwell here and there, but nobody seems to give a fuck about him. In a game inspired by the movie Brazil - a satirical take on 1984 with no Big Brother - that may be intentional.

This is also why people shouldn't be taking the game's politics very seriously.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure what you mean. Leonard's description of the game in the OP article there turned out to be entirely true. Hannah Kennedy is a whiny concept artist.

RepHope

Savant
Leonard says they may have done one cut too many. The last round of cuts was "painful". He seems to imply it had something to do with companions and companion reactivity.

Tim, on the other hand, is totally happy with the final game.
Leonard likes darker and serious stories and Tim likes lighter and funnier ones correct? No surprise Leonard is disappointed while Tim is content. TOW is not quite Borderlands tier “lolsorandumb” but it’s way less serious than New Vegas. I never felt any sort of real tension or pressure to continue on with the story.
Not sure why would you consider Caesar's Legion to be evil.

The only reason they may be seen that way is probably because the faction didn't get enough content. You hear the horror stories from NCR soldiers practically the whole game and by the time most players got to the Legion territory they already have an established opinion.

But if you pay attention the game also shows the good sides of Legion and corruption of the NCR leadership. Most gamers just had to have a villain in the story, when there isn't any.
Ah yes the faction where a little girl who is a child slave in their main camp asks you to get her teddy bear back after a Legion soldier confiscated it and gave it to his dog to use as a chew toy. Yeah they’re definitely not the “evil” faction, very morally ambiguous, especially with the fucking red skies and crucified people crying out in agony as you walk to Caesar’s tent.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They have one thing in common - they don't seem to like personal responsibility all that much, and want access to other people's property without said people's consent, usually under a benign pretense - the interests of "the people", "the nation", whatever.
Learn about the difference between personal property and private property, fool. Nobody can take away your toothbrush under communism.
For those who don't know, "personal property" is an invention of communist regimes' "legal minds", because "private property" was deemed to sound too "capitalist".

Yes they can, and they would if they saw value in your toothbrush. They certainly were ready to take your "personal" automobile. Every car in communist states was recorded in a register, and could be requisitioned in an emergency or war situation.

Nano , here is a question for you, wiseass - if the local communist feudal lord takes away your toothbrush, your "personal property", where would you persecute him for the crime? In the independent communist court?

Codex Year of the Donut
JeCC50W.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyway, see how we are DEBATING between FNV factions but Outer Worlds factions are just "hur dur, companies bad"

I don't think that Outer Worlds is bad. But is NOT the "new new vegas". Is just another AA average game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I imagine that in a larger-scoped Outer Worlds, the different corporations in Halcyon might have been separate factions with their own interests. I'm pretty sure that's what everybody was expecting when the game was announced - some intra-corporate intrigue and not just a Board vs anti-Board choice.

Spacer's Choice and Auntie Cleo's still get their own reputation meters but they're pretty vestigial - basically just a counter for how many quests you've done in each faction's respective area. I wonder if they were ever supposed to have much of an effect anywhere else.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
TL;DR: I choose Mr. House.
I respect this choice but my problem with Mr. House that he forces player to obliterate BoS. Always had a soft spot for those madmen.

And when I've played by far more egocentrical guy who don't give a shit about BoS he also didn't give a shit about House obviously, and while "securing" the Mojave by the same method thanks to LR he preferred to keep Lucky 38 for himself.
I imagine that in a larger-scoped Outer Worlds, the different corporations in Halcyon might have been separate factions with their own interests. I'm pretty sure that's what everybody was expecting when the game was announced - some intra-corporate intrigue and not just a Board vs anti-Board choice.

Spacer's Choice and Auntie Cleo's still get their own reputation meters but they're pretty vestigial - basically just a counter for how many quests you've done in each faction's respective area. I wonder if they were ever supposed to have much of an effect anywhere else.
Yeah, I was dissapointed substantionally about lack of corporation's interactions. It's plainly pathetic compare to F:NV. As for rep system itself, considering among other things that Sawyer didn't even bother include it in his recent presentation... it hardly even was designed for something greater.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
As for rep system itself, considering among other things that Sawyer didn't even bother include it in his recent presentation... it hardly even was designed for something greater.

Well it's the same reputation system as FO:NV. The underlying content just can't make as much use of it.

CuckMasher

Novice
the game is just shit, it's got nothing to do with politics - it was made by faggy men and women

no women should be involved in the work dynamic of making video games, end of - though, and only maybe, if I was in charge, I'd perhaps entertain having them around in limited capacity as occasional office decoration to provide the environmental stimuli to increase the test production of the men developing the game via introducing the anxiety of sexual competition in the back of their minds, of course taking all the necessary precautions to nip all possibility of the henhouse effect of mixed sex work environments tainting the product

BgUbpbo.jpg
Chinese actually do this. https://gizmodo.com/startups-in-china-are-hiring-women-as-programmer-motiv-1825529335

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom