Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Maybe because we're used to getting remastered versions instead of actual remakes.
What's your definition of a remake ?

There's not a clear definition since everyone does their own thing when remaking a game/movie. Some are exact copies with modern technology or a local cast of actors, others are their own take on a known story. This one is weird because it seems to be the same cast in some alternate universe that acknowledges the original one. I'll have to see more. (at least it's weird enough that I want to know more)

This. Nothing is taken away from anyone. If you want to experience the original or indulge in nostalgia, play FF7 from 1997.
Thanks for the information kind stranger, I spent all these years thinking that remakes erase the originals from our timeline.

Zlaja

Arcane
So far, I have heard only good things about FF7 remake. Most of these things are not about how it sticks closely to the original game, but how it's a good game on its own.

Yeah, those retarded fate ghosts that you have to fight over and over again was truly entertaining as fuck. And let's not forget those shitty new sidequests that have you fighting local vermin population given to you by generic and ugly looking NPCs. And another thing that truly enhanced the midgar experience were those new locales they introduced that mostly consist of long linear tunnels.

Anyone who doesn't praise these changes is obviously a hopeless fanboy of the original and needs to move the fuck on.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Maybe because we're used to getting remastered versions instead of actual remakes.
What's your definition of a remake ?

There's not a clear definition since everyone does their own thing when remaking a game/movie. Some are exact copies with modern technology or a local cast of actors, others are their own take on a known story. This one is weird because it seems to be the same cast in some alternate universe that acknowledges the original one. I'll have to see more. (at least it's weird enough that I want to know more)
I think, at the end of the day it boils down to what FF7 was about to the player. I remember the materia system which I liked enough (despite every character being able to fill any role, which is just meh game design for party-based rpgs), the characters and their recognizable design (I assume it's the one thing that's unchanged entirely ?) and the three-way between the shinra, sephiroth and the heroes.
They can rearrange anything else as they see fit if the end result is good, I really don't mind. And I don't understand why people would get mad if it ends up good.
Now if the game ain't good, maybe people should explain why by writing something else than "they changed this and that", because that just sounds like super lazy degree 0 "spot the difference" type of review.

On a less serious note, I wonder if they'll retconn this dramatic moment where the shinra puppet sacrifices himself in a heroic B-movie fashion, before rejoining the party a few minutes later through another puppet. I hope they don't.

Cromwell

Arcane
Now if the game ain't good, maybe people should explain why by writing something else than "they changed this and that"

Because even if fucking mickey mouse would jump out and fuck cloud up the ass to fill him with materia to defeat the fategoats it wouldnt make this any less shit. Its not FF7 anymore its fanfiction level shit and even if it were a good game gameplay wise I am sure there are many others out there that dont have this stink on them so why would I play this?

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Basically there is a universal scale for quality when it comes to JRPGs, and that's how similar or different the game is to current Kingdom Hearts. FVIIR is realllllly close to KH3 on the scale(in more than one aspect) which is why it sucks.

Delterius

Arcane
because that just sounds like super lazy degree 0 "spot the difference" type of review.
Yes but you still gotta compare both entries. There's no such thing as 'standing on its own' when the original project is still alive in people's heads. They'll make the comparison and so would anyone who wants to criticize it. And while changes aren't necessarily bad, there are different levels and kinds of change. And they rub people in different ways.

There are stylistic changes, like the Honeybee Inn scenes where Midgar's most fabulous turn Cloud into an anime girl. Its the same story, but with more glitter. Literally. Those were fun, tbh.

There are expanded universe changes, where the Avalanche team, especially Best Girl Jesse, are given more screentime and characterization. Again, still the same story. You just get more of it. And fans lap it up.

And there are minor outright story changes, like, from what I understand, the Avalanche team surviving their untimely deaths. At this point you can start arguing about wins and losses for he story. I'd say that if people felt attached to the Avalanche characters in the original and wanted them to live, its a testament to the old game managing to make engaging drama out of very little. All you get in its place is fap material. But again, fans lap this shit up.

None of which is on the level of the game's overall plot. Which brings us to the dementors. Magic spirits wandering around and keeping people from breaking up with fate is just silly. Its Nomura literally telling the audience he doesn't want to do a FF7, rather delve into edginess all of his own. Decades of Disney crap have driven this poor man mad. He never liked happy go lucky Mickey shit. Again, change is not bad on its own. But if the original FF7 was Sakaguchi coping with his mom's death and creating this environmentalist tale about how we are all souls of the Planet on the stream of life, what do we have to look forward to FF7Remake's new identity? A re-do of a bad anime plot about challenging fate I guess. Something that was done THREE TIMES IN FFXIII AND THEN IN FFXV AGAIN. BY NOMURA.

Like holy mother of God square you gotta shame-fire some senior people. Its corona season. Nobody is gonna notice.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Jessie is a bit of an UNDERCUTTING WHORE in this game.

"Oh yeah, I don't think TIFA is prepared to blow up reactors. Her heart isn't in it."

Bitch, shut your Peter Pan Lost Boys lookin' ass up. She's Tifa LOCKHEART. Literally committed to any and all task at hand. I've seen homegirl take care of vegetable Cloud when all he could do was go, "Urrrgheeeuuuugh...." That's a real one. Jessie is just Biggs' sloppy seconds.

Beastro

Arcane
A re-do of a bad anime plot about challenging fate I guess. Something that was done THREE TIMES IN FFXIII AND THEN IN FFXV AGAIN. BY NOMURA.

Interesting.

I set aside FF with FFIX and when I finally got a PC, so I lost touch with everything Square afterwards.

To me, this sounds like resurrecting Gene Roddenberry, asking him for story ideas, and just getting god-like omnipotent antagonists that are just yet another Q that he always put out.

Delterius

Arcane
A re-do of a bad anime plot about challenging fate I guess. Something that was done THREE TIMES IN FFXIII AND THEN IN FFXV AGAIN. BY NOMURA.

Interesting.

I set aside FF with FFIX and when I finally got a PC, so I lost touch with everything Square afterwards.

To me, this sounds like resurrecting Gene Roddenberry, asking him for story ideas, and just getting god-like omnipotent antagonists that are just yet another Q that he always put out.

The weird thing about FFXIII is that whatever in God's name happened in pre-production there were enough art assets created to last through a whole trilogy. Likewise, there was this whole expanded universe of insane time travelling lore that threatened to aggressively expand into the whole of Squeenix's catalogue for the foreseeable decade. So people were moved around and projects were reset to keep that from happening. The result is that both the FF-XIII trilogy and FFXV have this strange thing about angsty anime protagonists Challenging Fate (tm) as the essence of the plot. But with so much shit going at the same time you have to squint real hard to see it.

FFXIII: the party is given magic powers by machine gods and told to do something or else they'll be turned into cyber zombies. Protagonist screams 'I make my own fate' during her most special move. Keyword: you are told to do something. The protagonists mostly just assume and wing it for 40 hours until they decide to challenge Fate by doing exactly what it is asking of them. The bad writing is the actual antagonist.

FFXIII-2: the evil guy's waifu travelled in time or knows her death or some shit and now she dies infinitely forever and he's sad. So some other guy travel in time, to find a pink haired waifu and her pokémon army to challenge the Fate of eternally dying waifus and kill the bad guy.

FFXIII-3: the world is ending. Fuck it. Kill bad God and become good God to stop it.

FFXV: the part about how the story was actually about challenging Fate all along was either DLC, cancelled DLC or an Anime movie. Perhaps all at the same time. Just chill with your bros, tbh.

FFVII - Remake: remaking the game was actually Nomura's Fate all along. He's gonna challenge it in disc 2. By which I mean Aerith is clearly not gonna die because fuck Fate.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I always thought FFXV was a road trip game where four guys go on a fishing trip for an unforgettable weekend to indulge in unfettered acts of sodomy. Occasionally you kill monsters.

I was way off.

Trannies on twitch get really upset when people start simpin' for Tifa, based cow tits brawler lady.

you're all trash and I hope no woman talks to you ever

another night of hating chat

Chat, I know this will sound crazy, but did you Know Tifa is more than a pair of breasts? I know, CRAZY!

[Jessie has] BOOB PLATE

my god did a female work on the development team AT ALL

What was that zoom on her lips?

Nomura loves this shit

For god's sake chat, Tifa is a player character, she's in the party for like 99% of the game. Try to spam NUT GASM only once per stream, not every time she's on screen.

WHY are the girls always gigleing in this game?? this is not like real life

Ugh. I come back with my slice of birthday cake and she ruins it

i know everyone thinks its hot but can you imagine just having your belly out 24/7

her boobs should be bigger

I love it so much. Nomura you absolute horny bastard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom