Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imperial Guard Playthrough - Civic Skills?

d1nolore

Savant
I'm going to do a Imperial Guard playthrough, I have combat skills worked out. What civic skills are worth taking? Other than alchemy, I'll have a little for utility. Other than the functional use for crafting are their useful skill checks? I was thinking maybe Streetwise or Persuasion?

Without spoilers; what civic skills have use or give most bang for your buck with a Imperial playthrough?

Its really hard to get this kind of info on the web!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I just finished an IG playthrough and I vaguely recall there being a few Streetwise checks, plus the normal stuff like Crafting + Lore at Dry River. I had enough SP for 10 Spear, 10 Block, 10 CS, 3 Alchemy, 4 Crafting, but that was right as I got to Agathoth.

d1nolore

Savant
Oh right. I forgot this shows up in the general RPG forum even though I posted in Iron Tower Studio.

Age of Decadence.

Goromorg

Savant
What are your attributes?
IG questline is pretty straightforward and can be completed without streetwise or persuasion. You may need them only if you want to play politics (make Antidas an Emperor, support Meru instead of Gaelius).

d1nolore

Savant
Imperial Guard are obviously very combat heavy. Are there no specific civic skills that might be used within the Imperial quest line?

Is the combat in the quest line with allies or still mostly solo? I was thinking there would be more battles like the Antidas battle at end of Teron?

I haven't started the play through yet but have done other play throughs.

Deleted Member 22431

I'm going to do a Imperial Guard playthrough, I have combat skills worked out. What civic skills are worth taking? Other than alchemy, I'll have a little for utility. Other than the functional use for crafting are their useful skill checks? I was thinking maybe Streetwise or Persuasion?

Without spoilers; what civic skills have use or give most bang for your buck with a Imperial playthrough?

Its really hard to get this kind of info on the web!
You don't need any, but some special paths require high levels of persuasion.

Deleted Member 22431

Imperial Guard are obviously very combat heavy. Are there no specific civic skills that might be used within the Imperial quest line?

Is the combat in the quest line with allies or still mostly solo? I was thinking there would be more battles like the Antidas battle at end of Teron?

I haven't started the play through yet but have done other play throughs.
Dude, play the game and find for yourself. Half the fun is in the process of discovery and finding new paths by yourself. By asking people stuff, you are doing yourself a disservice. The Imperial Guard playthrough is the most reliant on combat, so if you have a good combat build, you can try different paths without risk of getting stuck.

Funposter

Arcane
Persuade is the one you want, iirc. There's an important-ish Streetwise check in the end-game depending on what you do, but it's not that hard. Do not take Etiquette. There's like a single check at beginning which tries to trick you into thinking it will be a useful skill. I'd say it's a 60/40 split in favor of Persuade, but it's been a couple of years since I played through AoD.

Edit: I went 8 into Persuade and 4 into Streetwise (the second being the requirement for that skill check) upon loading up an old save. My playthrough was also a borderline disaster though, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Goromorg

Savant
If you want to play fighter-talker, I recommend 6-6-6-8-7-7 Sword+Block or 4-8-6-8-7-7 Crossbow+Dodge (join Boatmen first for free +15 to attack, then defect to IG).

d1nolore

Savant
I ended up taking persuade. A lil in alchemy soon. Rest is going axe & dodge. Then just see what happens. Working so far, just need to up the dodge to avoid too much damage.

d1nolore

Savant
Finished the playthrough, very enjoyable. Highlight for me was the battle for Ganezzar, thanks to finishing the arena I had a very powerful axe. With 10 Axe and 5 critical my first attack was a crit for over 50 damage flinging the poor sod across the battlefield dead. Then shortly after I had 3 lined up infront of me, I did two swing attacks and on the second swing all 3 soldiers dropped dead. Well actually I think one got critted and flung back knocked down. Don't think I got hit once and made short work of the battle. I really enjoyed the battles with allies. I feel the Imperial Guard should have more of those options. My original idea was to use a long spear as I imagined there were a lot of big battles and the long spear is optimal with allies. But decided to go with axe because I didn't want to have to push all the time with the spear, especially with the area.

For others wondering about the op. I'd say a lil persuasion and/or streetwise spices things up a little. You don't have to go 100% combat, you'll still not be a talker/fighter but you will have a few options for spice. You get plenty of skill points to add lil civics as well as alchemy, etc. I got 8-9 dodge and axe pretty soon.

I would recommend in this order spending your extra points:
Persuade
Streetwise
Trade

Not all just pick one, you'll get free training at stages anyway. I had 6-7 persuade by the end. I had like 3-4 for the first half of the game. Again not a fighter talker.

Obviously always get some alchemy.
Otherwise if you want a pure melee/fighter go for crafting.

Don't bother with Lore, just play a Loremaster another time or a hybrid with Lore. I'll probably try a Loremaster next time.

Hope this helps people like me in future.

Oh and I killed everyone at the mine, and the bandit camp, wasn't hard for a fighter. Got the achievement. Became Ordu champ and in the pass battle sliced my way through to the other side of gate. There were 2-3 battles I couldn't win but they were all optional. I think they are winnable with a different style build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom