Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs set in hell/afterlife

Ranarama

Learned
Vampyr: talisman of invocation has you die and go to heaven.

Arryosha

Learned
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Arryosha What do you mean exactly by interesting perspective?

I suppose I just mean any interesting or original representation of death or the afterlife--something that allows for insight into the meaning of those things, however small.

Vatnik Wumao
In Expeditions: Viking, you experience a vision (/hallucination) of fighting during Ragnarok.

You could also argue that Gaunter O'Dimm's domain in TW3's Hearts of Stone is a dimension of (a) Hell.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
512ZGP5H5CL._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

mogwaimon

Magister
Perhaps not the most patrician of choices, but as I recall Penny Arcade's On The Rainslick Precipice part 4 takes place in a hellscape. I can't remember if it was explicitly the afterlife or just another plane of existence though. Also not an RPG but Grim Fandango, perhaps? I feel like I know of one more, but i can't quite place it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Grim Dawn has a hell-like dimension. Two kinds actually, one of them creepier than the other. The other is disappointing to say the least. Siege of Dragonspear has a chapter in one of the hells.

deama

Prophet
In Venetica you die early on but are revived and found out to be an offspring of death, giving you the ability to shift into some sort of death (teal) realm.

I guess the Legacy of kain series is viable, particularly the soul reaver duology. Though I don't think the gameplay in those games is good, even if the story is pretty good.

There's a hack n' slash +rpg hybrid called archangel wherein the MC dies in a car accident but is then teleported to different time periods and is given demon-slaying powers to rid the world of evil.

The concept in Kingdoms of amalur is pretty interesting: In a world where everyone's fate has been predetermined, you die and are revived, however your fate isn't written anymore, and this also allows you to manipulate the destinies of things/people you meet.

Deleted member 7219

Trails in the Sky 3.

You are in a computer simulation, not actually hell, but it is Kevin's imagining of hell.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The concept in Kingdoms of amalur is pretty interesting: In a world where everyone's fate has been predetermined (...) however your fate isn't written anymore
That idea was used in Legacy of Kain series, except it was actually good there.
Legacy of Kain has 2 good entries in terms of story, though, the first Blood Omen and the first Soul Reaver. Everything else devolved into fetishization of the vampires, more resembling Twilight than the poetic doomites of the first two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom