Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs with editable in-game journals & maps

7h30n

Augur
As I'm nearing the end of my 1st ever playthrough of Might & Magic 2, I've gotten used to keeping notes on almost everything found in the game. Ever since I started dabbling into such old games, it's normal to do so. I actually did the same with a "modern" game, Arcanum and am doing it for my 1st playthrough of Baldur's Gate (vanilla).

What I find particularly odd is the fact that both the old and new RPGs almost never allow you to make your own annotations to provided in game journal or map. What's the deal with that? When I finished Ultima Underworld and System Shock 1 couple of years ago, the in-game map was one of the best things I've ever seen! Sure, modern games have quest compass, thorough maps and journals, but sometimes I wish having plain old handwritten notes...

If you have games to recommend with similar (or better) logging abilities of Ultima Underworld, please post them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
As I'm nearing the end of my 1st ever playthrough of Might & Magic 2, I've gotten used to keeping notes on almost everything found in the game. Ever since I started dabbling into such old games, it's normal to do so. I actually did the same with a "modern" game, Arcanum and am doing it for my 1st playthrough of Baldur's Gate (vanilla).

Personally I screenshot everything that can be either of importance or worthy of posting in the Screenshots thread.
Much more convenient than taking notes, and with manual notes I often wondered what hell I had written.

Morkar Left

I think Bloodstone had this, maybe even the Magic Candle 3 had it, too.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Stonekeep let you edit your map, write journal entries, and even name and annotate items and magic spells. It had the most interactive journal that I'm aware of.

Farewell young Prince into the night

You can write notes on the map in Legend of Grimrock 2.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You can keep your own journal in NWN:

lilura1.jpg

Comte

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 allowed you to write notes on your map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom