Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Awesome LAN games

v1rus

Arcane
Quarantine made me and my homies boot up some nice LAN party games.

Been playing shitton of UT 2004, Jedi Academy, Half-Life and Quake 3 arena. A bit of strategy games, Warcraft III custom maps mostly, but some Rise of Nations and (terribly shitty) Battle for Middle Earth 2.

Sadly, we cant manage to get some games to run, like AVP2, Age of Mythology and Painkiller (which i really wanted to try out.)

So, what else can the 'dex recommend? UT2004 is a masterpiece, but playing it every night for 10 days in a row can ruin it a bit.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
we enjoy Rune 1 it on first unreal tornament engine. Its all about running around and whacking others with melee weapons in TPP.
Each melee weapons swing differently. There is useless shield. You could throw weapons. Climb on ledges. Cut off arms, heads. There is some power ups to collect.

Arryosha

Learned
I have fond memories of Duke 3d multiplayer. Remote detonating pipe bombs at just the right moment was pretty satisfying.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Best LAN I did were:
AVP2
Starcraft (including mod map)
WC3 (including mod map)
HOMM3 (that hot seat as a kid)
Duke 3d

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Alpha Centauri lets you play over network. You can also save the game and resume it later or convert it to a PBEM match.

Imperialism 2 never added PBEM (which would be ideal for that game) but you can play over network.

Constructor and Gangsters: Organized Crime can also be played over network and would be fun to try.

v1rus

Arcane
we enjoy Rune 1 it on first unreal tornament engine. Its all about running around and whacking others with melee weapons in TPP.
Each melee weapons swing differently. There is useless shield. You could throw weapons. Climb on ledges. Cut off arms, heads. There is some power ups to collect.

We are literally going to try rune in 10 minutes! :D

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Some UT mods that went stand alone were (are?) fun, Alien Swarm and Killing Floor. Depending on how many bros, Natural Selection mod for Half Life was fun (10-20 though, fewer is a bit shit)

Can remember having a good time with Sniper Elite (not sure which one though, probably the first)

Last edited:

Silly Germans

Serious Sam 1, Serious Sam Second Encounter are great, Serious Sam 2 is ok. I don't remeber which part of them it was
but some have really great levels. There also a few mods either for Serious Sam 1 or Second Encounter which are good.

Some good Strategy games are Company of Heroes 1, Dawn of War - Dark Crusade, Stronghold Crusaders. Factorio is
also pretty fun once in a while.

These games should also all work without problems in LAN, at least on Win 7.

:Flash:

Arcane
Mobile Forces (though this was probably made obsolete by later version of UT, it was the first Multiplayer Shooter with Vehicles, we really played a lot of this)
Re-Volt (fun for everyone)
Powerslide (probably only fun if everyone is at least somewhat familiar with the game)
Atomic Bomberman (really fun for short breaks from other games)
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter (if you like space battles)
Giants: Citizen Kabuto (for wacky asymmetric battles)

Battlefield 2 - does not crash with 1.50 patch and has lot of maps
Tribes: Vengeance - like UT but with ski boots!
Trackmania Nations Forever

Operation Flashpoint

Yep or any Arma depending on the weakest PC there - go with mods, search Armaholic or Arma 3 forums for good recommendations or this post of mine for Arma 3:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=722652837
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1785866180
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197974435552/myworkshopfiles/?appid=107410

or you can just Zeus the missions and make them custom:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
UT99 is definitely worth playing as well. The defence alliance mod is a good mod for coop.

Also, you can play the the campaign in Rune classic in coop with a mod too, it's pretty fun.

Someone mentioned Re-Volt, which I definitely agree with.

Xmantis

Novice
Stronghold / Stronghold Crusader. It's like Age of Empires 2 but with more focus on building your castle and defenses. It's even fun throwing some CPU opponents in there because they have unique build style for their castles.

There are HD remasters available but I haven't tried them.

v1rus

Arcane
Quarantine made me and my homies boot up some nice LAN party games.
Wait what, quarantine prompted you to actually meet people instead of playing online?!

I was wondering whos gonna be the first one to notice :D

Balkanids are bunch of dirty fucking pirates. Even if i wanted to buy a multiplayer game, there is no way in hell I could make anyone else buy it, even if it cost like 2 bucks. Balkanids just dont pay for vidya (music, tv shows and films too)

So we play pirated oldies on a LAN simulator:happytrollboy: Thats why a good deal of (really cool) games dont seem to work. Theres prolly a way to set it up properly tho. Thankfully, we got the time :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom