Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
For less than 10 euros for a 20 hour game, I'm hyped.

So XCOM 3 will be apocalypse "remake"?

I am pretty sure it will. I expect an announce by the end of the year, the setting will be a megacity.

ohhhh a megacity! Wow!!!

cant this fuckers think of something else? Is the future always mega cities with slick rounded metallic surfaces combined with lots of glass? Jesus fucking Christ. Just do something else you fucking hacks. But No, its copy pasta mega city after mega city as far as the eye can see. Mega cities. Does anybody get excited to see these boring ass mega cities anymore? They all look the same.

I'd probably D1P if not for Gears being so soon. But learning that Jake isn't involved and knowing there's another tacticool game coming in the very near future gives me pause. I'm also not entirely opposed to a smaller scale game with finite characters provided there's enough to differentiate this with Xcom 2. Smaller scale and canned characters are negatives, but if they still have randomized missions or, god help us, non-randomized but at least highly unique and interesting missions, it might be worth $10. My gut reaction is negative based on story mission DLC for Xcom 1 and 2, but the actual expansions for each were handled well. This still smacks of story mission but someone could maybe make something decent out of a small budget and reusing a lot of Xcom 2 assets.

Mud'

Scholar
I dont get people sometimes, like RE3 remake, people bitch about how the game is 60$ and how short the game is and it should be like 30~40$.

Then this shit comes out of the blue with a 10$ price tag because they know is a short game to bridge between XCOM 2 and (probably) XCOM 3 with a smaller scope (probably a testing ground for features) and now everyone is like "10$? this game is going to be shit and they know it!".

As far as i can tell i like the features they are selling, like the breaching phase, kinda taking over the stealth phase of the game. Also the initiative change is a way to fix the players doing alpha strikes on pods, talking about pods, this also fixes the pod problem where the player would be fucked if they walked into a pod by mistake since the pod cant nuke you on their first turn anymore.

Also i am interested to see what kinds of mods this game can bring, for 10$ it seems like a good deal, of course i am going to wait a week or two before picking it up to see what the reviews have to say, but honestly i know i will get it down the line.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing with giving the aliens a personality and a will kinda rings wrong for me. So behind the years of brain-washing from the Etherals there is a sarcastic funny one-liner guy behind each Sectoid?

Parabalus

Arcane
The thing with giving the aliens a personality and a will kinda rings wrong for me. So behind the years of brain-washing from the Etherals there is a sarcastic funny one-liner guy behind each Sectoid?

Makes sense given that there's WotC.

Mud'

Scholar

Well you got the Advent rouge faction with all the brain-washing from the Ethernals still existed. So is not far fetched that after five years from the XCOM 2 events you got sectoids that somehow adapted to humans.

Codex Year of the Donut
They're genetically modified lifeforms bred for war who are quite clearly susceptible to being mind controlled over long distances. Yeah, just keep them around, what could go wrong.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, and they advanced the storyline. They decided to stick with the nuXCom timeline. Yet if Firaxis asks a MERE 20$ for their game there must be something rotten out there. I don't beliee greedy jews Firaxis will drop their price just for a "Fuck you" to Gears.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Welcome to City 31. Humans, aliens and hybrids now live together in a fragile post-war peace but conspiracy groups threaten to upend it all. You must stop them in XCOM: Chimera Squad, a new combat experience in the XCOM universe.

Not that much of a conspiracy, if the entire previous game was about fighting tooth and nail against human-alien collaborators

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
jxoydb37fts41.png

She can manipulate my unit with her long tongue any day of the week.

jackofshadows

Magister
This is how you do diversity right folks. You have black people, white people, women....it's all-inclusive.

reyS8Ki2Ra66yNsQAppsyV-970-80.jpg
Why they have to look so pathetic? What the hell happened with the art direction? nuXCOM 1/2 was alright but this? Is that... a muton? How the fuck they went here from this?!
latest

Honestly, I wouldn't mind play for some aliens if not this tablet style looks and the whole questionable premise "keep the fucking resistance in line".

Mark Richard

Arcane
Figured by the premise this was going to be 50 years in the future, but according to the gameplay footage, the liberation of earth happened a mere five years ago. There's posters and shop signs adorned with alien advertisements that include, at best guess, an upcoming Muton boxing/UFC match and a Viper model selling some kind of perfume or drink. Chimera squad are tasked with enforcing the rule of law, yet some of their own members are former oppressors.

Are we sure the humans won? It sounds like in this world you have every chance of getting pulled over for speeding by a Muton cop, who turns out to have killed your wife and children during the occupation. What an awkward conversation that would be. I wonder if he'd let you off with a warning? That should even things out.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Figured by the premise this was going to be 50 years in the future, but according to the gameplay footage, the liberation of earth happened a mere five years ago. There's posters and shop signs adorned with alien advertisements that include, at best guess, an upcoming Muton boxing/UFC match and a Viper model selling some kind of perfume or drink. Chimera squad are tasked with enforcing the rule of law, yet some of their own members are former oppressors.

Are we sure the humans won? It sounds like in this world you have every chance of getting pulled over for speeding by a Muton cop, who turns out to have killed your wife and children during the occupation. What an awkward conversation that would be. I wonder if he'd let you off with a warning? That should even things out.
Premise is exactly the same as with Apocalypse - humans won but a lot of sectoid hybrids left, so they had to integrate with the society. Here, it seems a lot of aliens got stranded on Earth.

Tytus

Arcane
, so they had to integrate with the society.
:flamesaw:

The other solution is xenocide which I don't think they would be capable of doing. And I'm saying in terms of means not morality.
Those freed from mind control/influence aliens still have access to their guns, resources, still can easily group up.
It would end with a massive "civil" war. Which in its own right could've been a subject for a cool game.
Like reverse XCOM 2, but now you are fighting the "resitance".

Mazisky

Magister
Oh, and they advanced the storyline. They decided to stick with the nuXCom timeline. Yet if Firaxis asks a MERE 20$ for their game there must be something rotten out there. I don't beliee greedy jews Firaxis will drop their price just for a "Fuck you" to Gears.

This is a small side spin-off. It's really evident that the low price is cause of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom