Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Bliblablubb

Arcane
New xpac apparently has stat checks, branching narratives, and lots of reactivity :M
Does anyone here actually own this?
Yeah, got it for 10 bucks last July, when it was mostly free of major bugs. Got my money's worth from hiking the countryside with a buddy, environment is actually a lot better than FO4. Did all I wanted to do and crowned my voyage by crashing the server after launching a nuke. :obviously:
Got roped into trying Wastelanders with my old pal from back then again, so I gave it a shot. 5 mins in I was remembered why making this a MMO was a bad idea: while I was talking to my first NPC, some random dude with more numbers than letters in his name started jumping around between me and the NPC while punching me. Yeah...

The beginner quest was actually pretty good. Good characters, a plot twist I did not expect. A bit of C&C too, where I managed to avoid a bad ending with a "less than 3 str" check.
But.. we all know Bethesda. This is the press demo part of the game, so obviously a lot of extra care went into it. Will it hold up or go down the drain the usual Bethesda way? No info on that yet.

The ally part is banal boring shit tho. My pal did that one instead because he had logged out where the romancable womyn's location is. It's basically just a thinly veiled series of radiant quests where you kill a robot or collect an item from the boss chest at location X. After finishing all of them she gives you a daily quest to collect a random legendary weapon from... a random boss chest. I assume the guy will give you an armor piece instead.
She will also just stand in your camp, no travel companion for you. :decline:

I liked the little changes to the environment, with random settlers moving in, traveling merchants etc. The base game was just too depressing for my tastes.
Then my high level sneak was killed by a bunch of lvl10 mothman cultists. Because those fuckers start throwin molotovs like no tomorrow where they think you might be. :argh:

TLDR: If you already own it, it's definitly worth several hours of corona distraction. Start a new char tho, the old NPCs do not talk to you if you have already finished their quest.
Stat checks are also kinda pointless when you are bloodied/unyielding. :hahano:

Rating pending, no consensus reached.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76s-new-settlers-dont-even-mind-if-you-nuke-them/

Fallout 76's new settlers don't even mind if you nuke them
They just pop on some anti-radiation suits and go about their business as usual.

The Fallout 76 Wastelanders expansion welcomes new human factions to Appalachia: the settlers and the raiders. But what happens if you nuke the settlements of these two factions? Turns out: not much, really!

Players naturally were curious what would happen if you dropped a nuke right on Foundation or Crater, the two new faction settlements that are populated with tons of new human NPCs. But despite being new to the area, Fallout 76's settlers are already treating player-launched nukes like a little bit of rain on an otherwise sunny day.

As you can see in the video below by YouTuber Rattler, nuking the town of Foundation resulted in all the settlers who live there putting on anti-radiation suits—but otherwise, it's business as usual. In the midst of this atomic firestorm, one settler is out there sweeping the radioactive floor. Samuel is still leaning against his sign just as he does when there's not a current nuclear holocaust happening in his backyard. You know how the settlers will sometimes play a bit of music on the instruments scattered around? They'll keep doing that even after a nuke has landed on their town. They ain't care.

It makes sense in the way that things often make sense in games—not much logical sense but a good amount of practical sense. You obviously can't kill or mutate all the NPCs in a multiplayer game, or even have them retreat to some bunker for a while, because other players trying to complete quests would be completely out of luck.

But it is still a bit goofy that these newcomers to Appalachia would be so completely blasé about the fact that a damn nuke got dropped on them that they'd just zip up a radiation suit, keep playing their guitars, and keep sweeping their floors. Take it as minor inspiration, if you'd like: when the world is ending, we've all gotta find a way to keep being ourselves and doing what we love.

Quillon

Arcane
Shouldn't inXile do a cease and desist to stop Bethesda from trying to cash in on the Wasteland(er) brand?

They'll name their DLC Fallouters to get even.

Or Fallout Boys, some edgy gang terrorizing the wasteland and calling themselves as such :P

Last edited:

Bohr

Arcane
Shouldn't inXile do a cease and desist to stop Bethesda from trying to cash in on the Wasteland(er) brand?

IIRC at the time it was announced Fargo made a plaintive "Really Bethesda?" tweet but that was about it, guess he knew who to pick battles with - little indie operations rather than Bethesda. Don't think he was part of MS at that point.

edit: Actually I was remembering this, but in the same vein:

Codex Year of the Donut
Q6uqUNu.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The inherent weirdness of the Luck stat is really driven home when you see it as a dialogue check like that.

Modron

Arcane
ATOM RPG had plenty of weirder luck checks in dialog including but not limited to grenades detonating, a falling satellite raining down on an ambush, and so forth.

Codex Year of the Donut
ATOM RPG had plenty of weirder luck checks in dialog including but not limited to grenades detonating, a falling satellite raining down on an ambush, and so forth.
iirc if you maxed out luck one of the ambushes near the end of the game has all their guns misfiring and killing themselves when they try to shoot you or somesuch

ZeniBot

Cipher
The reception to this game only goes to prove the point that the games industry and its customers are beyond saving.
Enjoy Todd and Altman raping the ever living fuck out of the market from now on. The precedent is set.

I hope they torture you idiots. The most enjoyable thing is going to see how many people end up on the street because they bought too many JPEGs in a bethesda game.
You're all beyond saving. Parasitical fucks. Go lick someone from Wuhan and save us all the time.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The reception to this game only goes to prove the point that the games industry and its customers are beyond saving.
Enjoy Todd and Altman raping the ever living fuck out of the market from now on. The precedent is set.

I hope they torture you idiots. The most enjoyable thing is going to see how many people end up on the street because they bought too many JPEGs in a bethesda game.
You're all beyond saving. Parasitical fucks. Go lick someone from Wuhan and save us all the time.

Don't you think that you should post this at the official Bethesda forums instead? I hardly believe that anyone here, besides the Bethestards, is unironically enjoying Borderlands 4 / 76.

Hellion

Arcane
The game's engine is inherently so bad and dated that any decent ideas the game's developers might have had cannot possibly be implemented in any enjoyable fashion.

Even if someone sets his brainswitch to "mentally challenged" and attempts to "enjoy" the game as it is, he's bound to be frustrated by stuff like the endless loading screens every couple of minutes, the rigid and prospery NPC animations, or the player's slow, clunky and bloated combat animation (e.g. 9 out of 10 times key bindings don't work or are aknowledged with a significant delay whenever the character is in the middle of an animated action like reloading or using a stimpak).

Not to mention completely retarded gameplay mechanics like Legendary enemies "MUTATING!!!" and fully healing whenever you drop their health to 10% for the first time in a fight.

I'm trying to finish the main storyline just to be able form a more complete opinion, but I find myself alt-tabing to my browser during every eternal loading screen, and end up deciding to alt-tab back after 5-10 minutes. In the past hour, my "pure" gameplay time must be somewhere around 15 minutes.

Codex Year of the Donut
Again -- if I were playing this, which I can't confirm nor deny that I am, I would comment on how insane it is that there's no text chat. Absolutely what.

ADL

Prophet
The game's engine is inherently so bad and dated that any decent ideas the game's developers might have had cannot possibly be implemented in any enjoyable fashion.

Even if someone sets his brainswitch to "mentally challenged" and attempts to "enjoy" the game as it is, he's bound to be frustrated by stuff like the endless loading screens every couple of minutes, the rigid and prospery NPC animations, or the player's slow, clunky and bloated combat animation (e.g. 9 out of 10 times key bindings don't work or are aknowledged with a significant delay whenever the character is in the middle of an animated action like reloading or using a stimpak).

Not to mention completely retarded gameplay mechanics like Legendary enemies "MUTATING!!!" and fully healing whenever you drop their health to 10% for the first time in a fight.

I'm trying to finish the main storyline just to be able form a more complete opinion, but I find myself alt-tabing to my browser during every eternal loading screen, and end up deciding to alt-tab back after 5-10 minutes. In the past hour, my "pure" gameplay time must be somewhere around 15 minutes.
I'm willing to accept Bethesda's decline. It's been twenty years in the making. What I'm unwilling to accept is something that plays this horribly. They're dead unless they dramatically improve the technology running their games. Even though I enjoy the exploration, the build variety and a lot of the content in 76.... The guns feel like pea shooters, the melee weapons feel like stat sticks, the movement feels floaty and terrible and it just looks and runs like shit.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Again -- if I were playing this, which I can't confirm nor deny that I am, I would comment on how insane it is that there's no text chat. Absolutely what.

Wait, what? So how are you meant to communicate in this Massively Multiplayer Fallout then? I've not followed this at all, but I can't imagine not having text chat in an online game. Do you have to use your actual voice? Do they have voice chat but no text?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Wait, what? So how are you meant to communicate in this Massively Multiplayer Fallout then? I've not followed this at all, but I can't imagine not having text chat in an online game. Do you have to use your actual voice? Do they have voice chat but no text?

Mic. The best part of it is that if you have one, you can't even mute it so you're constantly streaming whatever you're saying, doing or is happening in your background. Or at least it used to be like that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-17-for-the-first-time-im-having-fun-with-fallout-76

For the first time, I'm having fun with Fallout 76
Check yourself.

When I reviewed Fallout 76 at launch, I said it was in desperate need of a hub - a town or a city filled with NPCs. Now, with the release of free update Wastelanders, it's not just got one city, it's got two - and a bucketload of NPCs to boot.

The addition of NPCs and all they bring with them - dialogue choices, voice acting, quests and actual story - drags Fallout 76 towards the traditional single-player Fallout experience, and it's all the better for it. Fallout 76 is improved in pretty much every department just by having other characters in the game world who speak and who are not robots. Even hearing enemy raiders chat while they're skulking about is refreshing, not because it is a remarkable thing for a Fallout game, but because it is a remarkable thing for Fallout 76. This is the thing about the Wastelanders update: it feels great because Fallout 76 was so bad.

I stuck with Fallout 76 for a month or so after it came out, then dropped off pretty hard. So I dusted off my existing character and entered the post-apocalypse expecting the most significant of refreshes - a relaunch of Fallout 76, really. And to Bethesda's credit, Wastelanders is it.
Outside the door to Fallout 76 a robot like all the others has some new things to say. It points you in the direction of a couple of human characters - human characters! - who have arrived in Appalachia on the hunt for a mystical treasure housed in a new-found vault. Talking to them took me aback at first, even though I've spent hundreds of hours talking to NPCs in other Bethesda games. And what's this? Fallout 76 lets you pick from multiple lines of dialogue - none of the response wheel rubbish from Fallout 4. And wait! There are SPECIAL checks. Charisma all of a sudden has value in a game that since launch had been mostly about combat and crafting. Even better, there are unique speech checks you can only select if you have a low rating in one of the SPECIAL categories. These lines open up dialogue that's a lot of fun. Huh. I'm having a lot of fun! It's almost like I'm playing Fallout 3, or Fallout: New Vegas!

Soon enough I'm at a bar that's just opened up down the road. The Wayward is run by a wonderfully voice-acted landlady called Duchess who asks for your help in dealing with a raider problem. This is hardly a revolutionary quest setup for Fallout, but for Fallout 76 it's a breath of fresh air. There are decisions to make, the kind of decisions that actually change how things pan out. There are different ways to complete missions. You can intimidate NPCs into giving you what you want, if your strength is high enough. You can use your intelligence to get your own way. Sometimes your luck will help you out. And yes, charisma is back. Finger guns!

Wastelanders is well-written, too - and at times funny. The ghoul character voiced by Jason Mewes, aka Jay from the Jay and Silent Bob films, is a lot of fun. I ended up trying to intimidate a robot who thought I was a spirit into giving me an assaultron body because the head of an assaultron asked me to find her a new body (long story). Also, the assaultron is sort of maybe having a weird kind of probably quite painful sexual relationship with a chap who I found lying in a mine. This kind of silliness is what Fallout should be about. It's retro futuristic black comedy - and Fallout 76 has had none of it outside terminals, holodisks and dusty scraps of paper until now.

jpg

Sometimes you get speech checks that are only available if you have a really low rating in a specific SPECIAL. The results are often pretty funny.

This is all a precursor to the new main quest, which revolves around inoculating two new factions from the scorch disease. Foundation is a new hub that has been plonked onto Spruce Knob and let me tell you, walking up to it the first time gave me that tinge of excitement I always get in my belly whenever I discover a new city in a Bethesda game. It's full of people bashing metal together, sweeping the floor (yes, the toilets are still post-apocalyptic disgusting despite people being around to clean them) and... talking to each other! There's a kid running about. There's a guy who's a layabout. Inside the headquarters I convince one of the settlers, via a luck check, to be my ally, and after I build him a chair at my camp he moves in, giving me a unique quest and plenty of dialogue. The boss of Foundation sets me on an entirely different quest. There's another chap who offers me work. There's reputation with the faction to earn. There's a lot to do, and it's intoxicating.

Eventually I'll have to decide whether to side with this Foundation lot or the raider faction who've built a city called Crater at the Crashed Space Station. But for now I'm happy keeping both sweet, playing their quests, earning rep and enjoying the novelty of what is, ostensibly at least, a pretty decent Bethesda Fallout experience.

There's a lot I've yet to encounter. I'm not far off getting to the new vault, but I've yet to see it. Apparently I can romance an ally, so I'm keeping an eye out for those dialogue options. I haven't got to the point yet where I have meaningfully experienced the new Gold Bullion system. This new currency, which apparently will end up being the late game caps/time sink, is the ticket to the new endgame gear (the new power armour, that sort of thing). And I've only brushed up against the Blood Eagles raiders and the Cult of the Mothman - and by that I mean I ran away as their high-level cronies shot me in the back.

Fallout 76 is actually a game I want to play now, which is something I never thought I'd say after reviewing the thing back in November 2018. Even on the tech side of things the game is much better than it was. I'm not sure if this is something brought about with Wastelanders, but the game runs a lot better on my base PlayStation 4 than it did at launch. There are occasional severe framerate issues, but on the whole it runs okay, and I have yet to encounter a game-breaking bug. This is a win for Fallout 76, as far as I'm concerned.
jpg

You can have an ally wander about your camp, now. It's creepy when they just stand there, watching you sleep...

But I must check myself: there is a novelty here. Wastelanders is the game Fallout 76 should have been at launch, but it still suffers from very serious issues. The combat remains awful. It's unresponsive and janky and nowhere near as tight as it needs to be for Fallout 76 to be played as a shooter, which, given the awful VATs system, is unavoidable. Most of the time it looks pretty crap. Occasionally I'll find myself in just the right place at just the right time of day, with the sun casting rays that reflect off a stream, and I'll think Appalachia scrubs up well. But then I'll look at an NPC face and throw up in my mouth a bit. Fallout 76's NPCs have that trademark Bethesda NPC jank, unfortunately. You'll be talking to one of them and they'll just dart up or down for no reason. They do not look well. At all.

And you can tell Fallout 76's NPCs have been sort of Frankensteined into the game somewhat. Meaningful story decisions (let an NPC live or die, sabotage the settlers in favour of the raiders, etc) are confined to small instanced spaces that allow for world changes unique to you as a player. You cannot meaningfully change the world on a wider basis, because of course you can't. This is an MMO, with lots of players running about the map. You can't nuke a town Megaton-style because other players need to have access to it at all times. Hilariously, if you actually nuke one of the new cities, which is a thing you can do in Fallout 76, the people inside put on Hazmat suits and continue about their business, sweeping the floors and moaning about the work they're having to do. Talk about chill.

jpg

Foundation is one of a number of new settlements in the game.

And Fallout 76 continues to be at odds with itself because it's now trying to be a single-player Fallout game but other players are in on it. This is good and bad. While I was out questing a high level character trained a super tough boss character right on top of the house I was trying to get into, just, I presume, to annoy me. Fair enough! This is Fallout, I suppose. But it was also annoying. On the other hand, while I was fussing at my (embarrassingly threadbare) camp, a high level player dropped a paper bag on the ground filled with stimpacks and other supplies. I gave them the heart emoji for that. How lovely! And then, there are some players who are just weird. While I was hanging around outside the Wayward, a player nearby noted, on voice comms no less, that there was a lot of corn around. He then said: "I guess you could say... it's CORNY! LOL." Then he left.

Actual humans don't spoil the successful integration of Fallout 76's virtual humans, though. And credit where it's due: Bethesda has stuck with Fallout 76, which suffered one of the most significant launch disasters of this generation, when I suspected it would ditch it. The developer has made some truly baffling decisions with this game. Locking private worlds behind a subscription is even more of a face palm feature now NPCs are in the game. And repair kits, which are used to fix broken weapons and armour (they break a lot), should not be available to buy for real-world money. But adding NPCs was definitely the right call. It means that if you, like me, approach Fallout 76 as a sort of weird single-player Fallout game with the occasional random player jumping about in power armour, it's actually okay.

Who'd have thought?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/17/fallout-76-wastelanders-pc-review/

Wot I Think - Fallout 76: Wastelanders
Turns out war does change actually

“People have returned to Appalachia in droves,” proclaim the patch notes for Fallout 76’s Wastelanders expansion, in what is both a reasonable summary of the troubled RPG’s third free expansion and, I suspect, a spirited attempt at self-fulfilling prophecy. Of all the gripes players (including this guy) had with baseline F76, by far the most prevalent was that it felt abandoned at launch. With human NPCs present only as voice recordings left by the long-dead, and a maximum player population of 24 per server, the game worked well as a mood piece about post-apocalyptic emptiness, but not so much as a fun time.

But in fairness to Bethesda, they immediately began steering Fallout 76 back towards warmer, more populated waters. Now, after a year and a half of work, the proof-filled pudding is served. And since it’s landed on steam too, widening its reach considerably, Bethesda are no doubt hoping a proverbial drove of players who gave it a miss 17 months ago will be coming back for a taste. But will it be to their liking?

Big Mike Lunchtime is back, this time manifesting as a person with the aspect of a sort of sarcastic, disappointing eagle

I’ve spent two days playing Wastelanders with a brand new character, as if I were playing the game for the first time. And while I’ve not fallen in love with it by any means, it’s grown on me. The mood of the game, for want of a better word, is transformed: what was once hollow now feels fleshed out, and what was lifeless now feels at least intermittently busy. I’ve still got a lot of issues with Fallout 76, but they’re starting to feel fixable, or at least easier to overlook.

The addition of human NPCs is the central pillar of Wastelanders, and the change announces itself right off the bat. There are two raggedy wanderers lurking around right as you leave Vault 76, and they soon direct you to a pub called the Wayward, which has sprung up to cater to all the newcomers to the area. Needless to say, in the time-honoured tradition of all RPGs ever, the pub is being troubled by bandits.

Here is one of those NPCs, looking faintly mournful that vidbud Matthew, who I played with, has barged halfway through their ribcage in his gigantic wearable JCB digger.

Wastelanders is set one year after the events of Fallout 76, and the continuity situation is… complex, but well thought out. Basically, the Wastelanders main quest, revolving around the search for a legendary treasure, is woven in with that of the base game. You’re not forced to play through the whole of the latter, but you do have to get a certain way through to make it logically possible for the rest of the Wastelanders plot to take place. I thought it was pretty cleverly done, and if you completed broad swathes of the main quest prior to playing through Wastelanders, it unlocks new dialogue options due if you’ve seen impressive things. Like this big angry bat, for example:

One of the things that was undeniably great about Fallout 76 was its photo mode, and that has not changed.

The Wastelanders story itself comes in two slices. The first, smaller slice is accessible straight away, and revolves around the Wayward, and the fate of a treasure hunter called Crane. These missions stretch out to a good few hours of play time, and are enough to get you to level six or seven without stopping to smell the mutants. But the real bulk of Wastelanders’ story unlocks after you reach level 20, at which point it intersects with the original main quest, and you’re introduced to two main human factions: the Raiders and the Settlers. The former have made their home in the crashed space station up in the north of the map, making one of Fallout 76’s best bits of set dressing more interesting in the process, while the latter have made a nice little town called Foundation.

They’re a bit like the Imperials and the Stormcloaks from Skyrim, in that you can do quests for either faction, but eventually you have to choose between them. And the chance to loiter around their settlements is a real breath of fresh air in an otherwise lonely world. There’s people chatting, crappy post-nuclear bars being run, and even people getting together to play the game’s many musical instruments.

The decision to split the Wastelanders content into two sections like this like was a shrewd one. For tentative new players, it demonstrates that Fallout 76 has turned over a new leaf straight away, with all the subtlety of a boombox held up outside a bedroom window. And then, just when you’re starting to run out of Wastelanders-specific things to do, it throws the faction stuff at you. Also, if I was betting man, I’d say the later chunk of Wastlanders quests was positioned around level 20, because that’s about the point where most people gave up on Fallout 76 and let their accounts go fallow.

An NPC-only jam sesh in Foundation.

For the most part, story missions happen in instances separated from the main world by loading screens. I was a bit dubious about this at first, largely since it prevented my companion Matthew from entering plot areas with me (and slaughtering every attacker like a dour mechanised butler), but I soon saw the appeal. Fallout 76’s original robot-and-terminal-dispensed plot allowed multiple people to do the same things in the same areas, without interfering with each others’ games. If the quests involved things like, to take an example from Wastelanders, a decision over whether to kill or spare a human NPC, it would have gotten awkward quickly.

Wastelanders’ instances sidestep this issue by essentially loading up a small Fallout level for you to play every time you’re doing plot stuff. In these little pocket dimensions, you can choose how to tackle problems, for example, a git trying to rob a bar at gunpoint, and make a whole load more choices than Fallout 76 previously allowed. There’s even proper, branching dialogue! It includes moments where you have different options available based on your stats! It is, in short, roleplaying. And yes, you’d rather expect that in a roleplaying game… but hey, better late than never, right?

Wastelanders is not, however, a total Road To Damascus moment for Bethesda’s big weird experiment. There is still too much time spent in menus. There are still so, so, so many key bindings to keep track of. I still don’t truly understand the baffling perk card system. And the gunfeel is still distinctly off. In baseline Fallout 76, I observed that gunfire felt like throwing packing peanuts at Jason Momoa. Now it feels like trying to fend off an angry builder by whipping them with toilet paper. Is that better? I’m not sure. But it’s still not great.

And neither, if I’m being brutally honest, is Fallout 76. I really respect how much it’s improved, and I’ve tried my hardest to enjoy all that Wastelanders has to offer. But at the end of the day, Bethesda have worked their arses off for eighteen months in order to make a game that is alright. For devotees of the Fallout series, it’s probably upgraded to “pretty decent”. With another expansion or two in this vein, I’d tentatively say Fallout 76 could be… good. And for the players who’ve stuck with it since day one, Wastelanders must seem like an utter triumph. I feel especially pleased for the cannibals, bless their rotten hearts.

There’s a pleasingly post-apocalyptic metanarrative to all this, you see. After being bombed to oblivion, Fallout 76 is finally crawling out of the ashes, and offering hope to the hardboiled souls who’ve stuck it out through the long, depressing winter. And what left me unable to be too hard on it, was this:

As you can see, it wasn’t just human NPCs my new character met, when first exiting Vault 76. Standing beneath clusters of balloons were two burly figures in power armour, with decently high XP levels, and I idly wondered if I was due a beasting. But they just waved at me, before dropping a paper bag full of medicine, ammo and food. Finally, all that chat about rebuilding civilisation that rang so hollow in November 2018, felt relevant again. Somehow, the arrival of pretend humans in Appalachia has made it easier to appreciate the real humans that live there.

Fallout 76 is being rebuilt, and Rome wasn’t built in a day, after all. But then, Rome wasn’t hastily reconstructed from an out-of-season caravan park in Skegness either, which is kind of what it felt like Wastelanders had to do with the base game. Ultimately, it would have been easier just to make a normal Fallout game in the first place, rather than reverse engineer one from a busted MMO. But that’s the path that’s been taken, and so here we are. I don’t know if droves follow it to Appalachia. But for hardy and forgiving treasure seekers, while there might not be much gold in them thar hills, there’s at least company now.

Hellion

Arcane
The game is indeed more enjoyable after the update. I loathed the vanilla version because it was an affront to basic 20th century game design principles, but now I only loathe it for pretty much the same reasons I loathed Fallout 4. Pure incline right there.
If it had been originally released in this state, I would have wholeheartedly given it a score of 55%.

Codex Year of the Donut
RqgvAqP.png

The quests are pretty decent with quite a few ways to solve them. I'd rate this above both FO3 and FO4 so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom