Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
MUH DIVERSIDAD
images

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Silva are you seriously saying the figure on the left is "cartoony"? I don't know what the one on the right is from but the left one is just a normal character with funky haircut.
Not just the hair, his body is too horizontal, almost like an oversized dwarf. It IS stylized to some degree and not trying to be purely naturalistic IMO. I think games like SWAT 2 or Commandos went for more naturalistic gfx, for eg.

I don't know what "body is too horizontal" means but UFO came in 1994, back then characters in videogames werem't necessarily cartoony, they just comprised of a handful of pixel that's all. Even hyper-realistic simulations of police procedures had characters like this:

Police-Quest-2-Copy-Protection-298x350.jpg

These are kindda stylized not because Police Quest is a cartoony game but because fotorealistic graphics wasn't possible back then. The vibe, the writing, the general feel of the game had nothing to do with cartoony.

On the other hand something like Day of the Tenctacle was very clearly cartoony. The characters weren't fotorealistic either but they were intentoinaly goofy, plus the sounds, the music, the writing, everything was designed to be over the top to a very hilarious effect.

Nothing about the actual game of UFO is cartoony. There's nothing bright or cheery or bubbly about it. The sounds, music, lighting, writing, terror missions where technologically superior aliens are brutally massacring civilians...all that is intended to produce a feeling of doom and despair.

That's why it always pisses me off when idiots who never actually played these games just google a few screenshots and parade it on the interwebz as a proof of UFO being cartoony.

lightbane

Arcane

Yeah, this is how it should be. Hell, the City 13 naming sounds ominous, and it would be very easy to make it that you're actually the bad guys, as the comic above shows, but that would paint the diversity agenda as something really bad and we cannot have that. Worse, these preview videos don't match with these guys suddenly joining the diversity taskforce instead of keep killing these alien invaders... Other than the sectoid, who's bound to be mind-controlled again at some point, or suffer a brutal psychotic attack due the constant mindfuckery.
Also, weren't these aliens mass-produced? Shouldn't they have issues such as limited lifespan and sterility (other than the improved sectoids, at best)? Advent guys were actual humans with alien parts added in, but everything else was kept as they were. You can't say the same about mutons and others.

Silva are you seriously saying the figure on the left is "cartoony"? I don't know what the one on the right is from but the left one is just a normal character with funky haircut.
Not just the hair, his body is too horizontal, almost like an oversized dwarf. It IS stylized to some degree and not trying to be purely naturalistic IMO. I think games like SWAT 2 or Commandos went for more naturalistic gfx, for eg.

I don't know what "body is too horizontal" means but UFO came in 1994, back then characters in videogames werem't necessarily cartoony, they just comprised of a handful of pixel that's all. Even hyper-realistic simulations of police procedures had characters like this:

Police-Quest-2-Copy-Protection-298x350.jpg

These are kindda stylized not because Police Quest is a cartoony game but because fotorealistic graphics wasn't possible back then. The vibe, the writing, the general feel of the game had nothing to do with cartoony.

On the other hand something like Day of the Tenctacle was very clearly cartoony. The characters weren't fotorealistic either but they were intentoinaly goofy, plus the sounds, the music, the writing, everything was designed to be over the top to a very hilarious effect.

Nothing about the actual game of UFO is cartoony. There's nothing bright or cheery or bubbly about it. The sounds, music, lighting, writing, terror missions where technologically superior aliens are brutally massacring civilians...all that is intended to produce a feeling of doom and despair.

That's why it always pisses me off when idiots who never actually played these games just google a few screenshots and parade it on the interwebz as a proof of UFO being cartoony.

This is so fucking stupid.

Police Quest, 1992, two years before X-COM.

PQ%2B1%2B-%2BPost%2B2%2B-%2B1.png

2.png

X-COM, 1994. It's fucking cartoony, and it's a fucking deliberate choice.

xcom-ufo-defense.jpg

28-xcom417.png

ESWAT, a Sega Genesis game from 1990.

tumblr_pi1it6RbyD1roqda3o1_640.gifv

You're talking about PC games from the 1980s and pretending that something from 1994 faces the same changes. Also, X-COM is totally fucking bright, it's so bright and colorful I'm starting to think maybe you've never seen the fucking game. Of the three games in this post it's the brightest most colorful of the bunch. You might also not know this but in reality when you blow something up, a skull mushroom cloud doesn't appear.

Last edited:
XCOM, as in these nuXCOM games should have had a restricted rosters from the start. t.

And then we wonder why developers fuck games up. There must be one of these assholes sitting at their table somewhere and going, "you know what would REALLY make your next game interesting"?

In a game like Firaxis's XCOM where you might lose something like five characters, (a little more on the hardest setting) what does a restricted roster hurt? You lose the ability to create your own half assed character that looks like five other characters you have? What a loss.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
NO MORE PODS

Pods are tied to the cover-based combat. There must be some way for the game to move discovered aliens behind cover. The alternative is they'd be in cover at all times, static.
Or the aliens could do what the player does; move from cover to when moving instead of strolling around oblivious to the firefight happening 20 meters to the left.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The outright cheekiness of having a 'diverse' cast without a single white dude is just jarring.
"I'll never buy this game and will complain about the developer because my preferred race/gender/genotype isn't represented"
Hmm, where have I heard that before?

Or wait, is it
"Unrealistic every group of a dozen people working together always features a white dude"
Because that's an .... interesting implication to make.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
The whole tone of the game is a missed opertunity, 5 years after XCOM2 there should still be a lot of distrust and hatered between humans and aliens even if they work together inseated your squad in this is like:
"We were mind controlled" "ok I forgive you, let's act like a shitty buddy cop sitcom"

mondblut

Arcane
Takes diversity to a whole new level :)

If this crap warrants a sequel, it will be about aliens, humans and diverse alien-human babies fighting together against evil human racists. Write it down.

ed: oh, should have read the thread further. it's already about fighting against evil human racists. here, have a virtue point. scum.

BarbequeMasta

Learned

If this crap warrants a sequel, it will be about aliens, humans and diverse alien-human babies fighting together against evil human racists. Write it down.

ed: oh, should have read the thread further. it's already about fighting against evil human racists. here, have a virtue point. scum.
Not enough decline in there yet, added Fire Emblem Waifu simulater mechanics for good measure!

mondblut

Arcane
Not just the hair, his body is too horizontal, almost like an oversized dwarf.

Uh, you are aware that actual CRT pixels in 320x200 resolution are not squares but vertical rectangles? Its actual display proportions are 4:3, not 8:5.

To find out how did the "dwarf" look like on a monitor it was designed for, stretch him vertically by 20%.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The outright cheekiness of having a 'diverse' cast without a single white dude is just jarring.
"I'll never buy this game and will complain about the developer because my preferred race/gender/genotype isn't represented"

Or wait, is it
"Unrealistic every group of a dozen people working together always features a white dude"
Because that's an .... interesting implication to make.

The Codex has always been like this. at least modern Codex :lol:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Is it? Saw mostly alien enemies in the gameplay video.

mondblut

Arcane

Is it? Saw mostly alien enemies in the gameplay video.

Well, that's what I got from a cursory glance at the thread. Regardless, if it's not about fighting for muh diversity against evil human xenophobes now, it will be.

mondblut

Arcane

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom