Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mogwaimon

Magister
You would think so lol. There are several pages of people being angry that HBR added a "them/they" gender prefix to Battletech. Without as so much removing "him/her." And what part of gameplay that has been changed by addition of additional gender in Cyberpunk that we know of? NOTHING, at least not what we know of now. The game is not released yet and there is not much about it in trailers. But sure, keep circlejerking,
i can't speak for everyone, and i know this isn't my personal blog, but speaking as someone who does get a little miffed when they see someone put their pronouns out there or by companies including these options, but it feels sort of disingenuous, you know? like, it's good that people are getting represented or whatever, but when it comes to games adding these things you know they're just doing it to be politically correct and cater to the 'lowest common denominator' as it were so they don't exclude anyone('s wallet) and not because they actually believe it. maybe the team actually believes in inclusiveness and includes it, but that just points to other problems, because isn't the point of being trans like...actually passing/being the gender you want to be, rather than that third classification of them/they? it's bad enough that you've got the corporation patting themselves on the back for virtue signalling with one hand and reaching into your wallet with the other, but now you've got people who barely even think about what their core beliefs actually mean trying to write a deep story, and it's like...if you can't even get the basics of transgenderism down, what quality can we expect when you clumsily fumble your way around more complex situations and ideologies?

and when individuals put some pronoun out there that isn't he or she and make it the first thing they have on their twitter profile or whatever, it's like, alright, you're either looking for trouble or you're a snowflake because most people don't put such an emphasis on putting their identity front and center like that and most certainly they don't expect people to always remember to address them as zim/zer/xim/xit/pony or whatever, and then they go on long tirades about how no one accepts them whenever someone forgets to address them as such. it's like, christ dude, deal with it. i don't like being casually touched but if it happens i don't sperg out about it, some people just express themselves in different ways and they definitely won't remember your super special pronoun until they've actually interacted with you enough times to maybe begin to like you. I dunno. Maybe I am some sort of transphobe or whatever.

Harthwain

Magister
As I said, you can still be one. You can hypothetically still be a straight male/female. Just there is no BIG BUTTON with it. People several pages ago said said that "there will be no option but to play as neon dicked girl" or something to such lines. To me it seems that, yes, they are angry at more options.
This isn't about having more options. It's about how they did it. If you could just mix-and-match options as you see fit, nobody would say anything. But they said this...:

Cyberpunk 2077's character creator no longer includes binary gender options, CD Projekt RED says
...which clearly outlines WHY they got rid of the pre-defined choices (especially when before you could be either a male or a female character). So I am not surprised that people feel like this is pushing an agenda, which can be tiring, even when this does fit the setting of the game.

Although, I will admit that you can find examples where people are seeing agendas that simply aren't there.

Like, people complaining when they saw a redhead female gangster on the cover of Empire of Sin when Gangsters: Organized Crime - released in 1998 - had both female gangsters and black people as available hires without any restrictions (and I didn't hear people complaining about it back then), but that can be easily attributed to the everpresent feeling of agendas being forced left and right, even when it doesn't make sense (think: Battletech and its pronouns).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But they said this...:

Cyberpunk 2077's character creator no longer includes binary gender options, CD Projekt RED says
...which clearly outlines WHY they got rid of the pre-defined choices (especially when before you could be either a male or a female character). So I am not surprised that people feel like this is pushing an agenda, which can be tiring, even when this does fit the setting of the game.

Did they say it exactly like that or did the bullshit press just present it like that? Also, even if CDPR said it like that, does the PR guy telling the bullshit press what they want to hear in order to get positive coverage mean it's actually the core ethos of the writers and developers making the game? Would anything in Witcher 1-3 indicate a tendency toward being against binary gender paradigms? These are all things to consider before taking that ball and running with it past the touchdown marker and into the parking lot.

Terenty

Liturgist
But they said this...:

Did they say it exactly like that or did the bullshit press just present it like that? Also, even if CDPR said it like that, does the PR guy telling the bullshit press what they want to hear in order to get positive coverage mean it's actually the core ethos of the writers and developers making the game? Would anything in Witcher 1-3 indicate a tendency toward being against binary gender paradigms? These are all things to consider before taking that ball and running with it past the touchdown marker and into the parking lot.
I'm sure i've seen a group pic of CDprojekt employees at a pride parade

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure i've seen a group pic of CDprojekt employees at a pride parade

That means nothing. I've been to pride parades, my sister is a lesbian. If what you're actually saying is "DOWN WITH THE DEVIANTS!" then we have no common ground, and you're an asshole. What I'm discussing is poorly written agendas focused more on being woke than writing good dialog, or going to extremes like "there is no such thing as a male!" It's not about them having tranny options (which again make perfect sense for this setting). It's about whether they went full California extremist, which I doubt.

Harthwain

Magister
Did they say it exactly like that or did the bullshit press just present it like that?
Full quote:

Gamasutra:
We haven't seen the full character selection screen. The team said it wasn't finished yet. There are still many changes you all are making to the game. Has the team at all considered, given their use of [trans] characters like that in the game to depict cyberpunk, has the team thought about giving players that kind of choice over their character, to give themselves similar representation?

And if they're not, has the team considered the gap between portraying characters like that, and limiting what you can have your players represent themselves as?

Tomaskiewicz: Of course. It's a very sensitive and important subject I believe. We have put a lot of thought into this. One of the things we want to do in the final game (which we couldn't show in the demo yet, because as you mentioned it's a work in progress) is to give the players as many options of customization in the beginning of the game as we can.

For example, we want to do this thing where, as you create your character, after you choose the body type, you can, for example, use physical traits as you build your face that could be assigned to a man or a woman.

Gamasutra: Or nonbinary?

Tomaskiewicz: Or nonbinary. The idea is to mix all of those up, to give them to the players, as they would like to build it. Same goes for the voice. We wanted to separate this out, so the players can choose it freely. This is something we are still working on, it's not as easy as it sounds.

This is one part of it. In terms of how we depict the characters within the setting itself, of course, yes, we are paying a lot of attention to it, we do not want anyone to feel like we are neglecting this, or treating it wrongly.

Also, even if CDPR said it like that, does the PR guy telling the bullshit press what they want to hear in order to get positive coverage mean it's actually the core ethos of the writers and developers making the game?
Well...:

For Redesiuk, the fictional advertisement is also an effort to increase empathy for the LGBTQ community among video game consumers.

“We need it,” Redesiuk said. “I honestly think we need it because we need more acceptance in the world, and we need to also show how the goodness of people is sometimes used against them. And I would really love for the world to change and be a better place for everyone.”

Would anything in Witcher 1-3 indicate a tendency toward being against binary gender paradigms? These are all things to consider before taking that ball and running with it past the touchdown marker and into the parking lot.
It depends a lot on how they handle the game. Just because at least some people on the team are fully supporting LGBTQXYZ and/or trying to get some PR points with the mainstream media does not mean that they will go overboard with their "message of acceptance" and the game is bound to be shit as a result. It's merely a possibility. On the flipside, this does prove that some CDPR members are above and beyond simply depicting the Cyberpunk setting. In fact, they have enough backing from the company to be able to officially say this to the media, so who knows how far they will get with the game itself?

Terenty

Liturgist
It's not about them having tranny options (which again make perfect sense for this setting).
How does it make perfect sense for the setting? Will there suddenly be more mentally ill or whatever you call them people in the future all of a sudden? Why would access to implants breed more transgenderism? Will you personally become a tranny if given access to augments?

Vatnik Wumao
It's not about them having tranny options (which again make perfect sense for this setting).
How does it make perfect sense for the setting? Will there suddenly be more mentally ill or whatever you call them people in the future all of a sudden? Why would access to implants breed more transgenderism?
Well, the simulacra of another biological sex by way of surgery would be of higher quality for one thing (ergo more mentally ill people going for it).

That aside, it's not that far off to imagine that a transhumanist worldview would consequently lead to a devaluing of our innate biology. If technology permits it, plenty of eccentric people would prefer to shape their bodies in all sorts of weird manners, going beyond just sexual ('gender') lines.

Dexter

Arcane
The whole body modification themes of cyberpunk was about forfeiting your humanity to, in your belief, 'transcend' it.
Wait, you mean Cyberpunk wasn't about this? https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...out-cyberpunk-2077.128065/page-5#post-6171440

You cannot deny there are many who want all this stuff purged from their games
You're right about that, similar to how I don't particularly like watching RomComs or movies about the terminally ill or sports biographies and similar and usually ignore them. I naturally don't want something I either don't like or am actively repulsed by to play an out-sized role in my entertainment, especially something I've been looking forward to for the better part of a decade that is gradually being changed due to outside influence. The difference is without outside political pressure groups and several dozen articles and interviews every year for the past several zoning in on this "very important issue" by "unbiased gaming journalists" lobbying for the inclusion of this kind of horseshit similar to their "not enough diversity in Witcher 3" campaign, which fortunately didn't come in the middle of development but as fait accompli, it would naturally not be occurring to begin with and not even be considered a point worth addressing in any way in the first place, like in any of the dozen other Cyberpunk settings that have been repeatedly brought up. The character creator is a good example with the E3 Demo a few years ago being what CDPR came up with being twisted to change it and remove things after "feedback" to sate the activists.

I think it would be a much more productive discussion if people stated their intentions clearly of liking and wanting to compel this kind of stuff into literally everything, what was it to at least 20% now? instead of trying to feign neutrality and try to ridicule or accuse other people of supposed double standards they hold themselves.

There's also the expectation that any of this be always treated with kid gloves and only ever depicted in specific required pre-defined, tired and re-occurring ways and not be the butt of a joke either as I already brought up:
1392804905594.jpg
For instance in the late remake of Dune aside from replacing a well established male character with a black woman, having Harkonnen be a sick, fat deviant who is into young boys as the bad guy was considered "problematic" and subject to change.

Thinking of gaming there's also the recent example of how they enforced the change of a scene they considered "problematic" in Persona 5: https://nichegamer.com/2020/03/17/persona-5-royal-gay-npc-scene-alteration-revealed/ and still weren't satisfied with it: http://archive.is/dbdVv

DalekFlay while declaring his love for pride parades is reiterating how he wants to see "tranny options" because they apparently "make perfect sense", something he has stated several times without explaining how various other Cyberpunk settings (or in fact the original PnP game this is based on) are particularly lacking for not including them and trying to equivocate by somehow distinguishing mentally ill people believing they're something they are not and expecting special treatment by everyone else to acknowledge their delusions from whatever he means by "California extremists" (which are presumably something else entirely and not these).
InD_ImaginE is already salivating at the thought of pushing terminal gender ideology bullshit on everyone like removing Male and Female options in the character creator that 99% of the player-base would expect and wanting to replace it with pronoun bullshit while calling it "having more options" as he states that one can "hypothetically still be a straight male/female" as if that was something one should be thankful for still being allowed and not expect in a big Blockbuster release one is supposed to pay money for.
It's not about them having tranny options (which again make perfect sense for this setting). It's about whether they went full California extremist, which I doubt.
As I said, you can still be one. You can hypothetically still be a straight male/female. Just there is no BIG BUTTON with it.

You would think so lol. There are several pages of people being angry that HBR added a "them/they" gender prefix to Battletech. Without as so much removing "him/her." And what part of gameplay that has been changed by addition of additional gender in Cyberpunk that we know of? NOTHING, at least not what we know of now. The game is not released yet and there is not much about it in trailers. But sure, keep circlejerking
It remains to be seen whether CDPR are only paying lip service to this stuff or turned true believers, but I see neither as a particularly positive change and I'm not as much "angry" but sad and disappointed that something else I've been looking forward to since I first heard about it might be gimped by the demands of insane fringe activists (as other things like Star Trek or Star Wars before).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It depends a lot on how they handle the game. Just because at least some people on the team are fully supporting LGBTQXYZ and/or trying to get some PR points with the mainstream media does not mean that they will go overboard with their "message of acceptance" and the game is bound to be shit as a result. It's merely a possibility. On the flipside, this does prove that some CDPR members are above and beyond simply depicting the Cyberpunk setting. In fact, they have enough backing from the company to be able to officially say this to the media, so who knows how far they will get with the game itself?

I actually don't find that interview that bad. The CDPR guy is basically just saying you pick a male or female body and then do whatever you want to it, which I think is perfect for the setting. It's the journalist pushing words like binary and whatnot, using his liberal arts degree to its fullest.

You're right about that, similar to how I don't particularly like watching RomComs or movies about the terminally ill or sports biographies and similar and usually ignore them. I naturally don't want something I either don't like or am actively repulsed by to play an out-sized role in my entertainment, especially something I've been looking forward to for the better part of a decade that is gradually being changed due to outside influence.

Look, if some of you are disgusted by the teh gays and trannies and never want to see them in your entertainment then fine. I think you're assholes, but you have a right to be assholes. I wouldn't post on the Codex for 10 years if I didn't have a high tolerance for retarded social and political stances. I think you're in for a rough ride the rest of your life because society has largely voted they don't give a shit, but that's your ride to take. The thing that started all this was the endless, endless bitching and crying about it. Complaints I get. Mocking stupid woke signal quests? I do that too! But endless fucking whining about a culture war in media you lost decades ago? Dismissing an entire game because it might have brief things you're triggered by in it? When you reach that point you've become the exact same "safe space" seeking and triggered crybaby you despise. Congratulations.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
For Redesiuk, the fictional advertisement is also an effort to increase empathy for the LGBTQ community among video game consumers.

“We need it,” Redesiuk said. “I honestly think we need it because we need more acceptance in the world, and we need to also show how the goodness of people is sometimes used against them. And I would really love for the world to change and be a better place for everyone.”

It's the same sophomoric Osteener shit that has destroyed Christian culture for half a century. If all y'all Progtard fags want to follow his lead I'd say you deserve to get it good and hard if it weren't destroying the games I enjoy too.

If you want to have church do it on your own dime. Leave it out of your art and focus on what you do well enough to earn my interest and support.

Desiderius

Patron
it's not that far off to imagine that a transhumanist worldview would consequently lead to a devaluing of our innate biology. If technology permits it, plenty of eccentric people would prefer to shape their bodies in all sorts of weird manners, going beyond just sexual ('gender') lines.

That's already happened, and not just among the eccentric. Normies are already infected. Just look at Dalek.

They're all feeling their oats but the most vindictive heteronormative binary bitch there is is Mother Fucking Nature herself. She doesn't even have time for asexual reproduction, let alone idiots who talk themselves into cutting off their nuts.

It will all end in tears like any other fad. Just wish they weren't pissing all over the culture in the meantime.

Desiderius

Patron
It remains to be seen whether CDPR are only paying lip service to this stuff or turned true believers, but I see neither as a particularly positive change and I'm not as much "angry" but sad and disappointed that something else I've been looking forward to since I first heard about it might be gimped by the demands of insane fringe activists (as other things like Star Trek or Star Wars before).

Well, unfortunately Cringe DNE Fringe. This shit's so mainstream among the class of people scratching the checks that anything else seems off to them.

It's not just Conservatards who have a problems with it, they're just the only ones who haven't traded their birthright away for a mess of "inclusiveness" pottage and the anthropology of a credulous puppy. Inclusiveness that always seems to include a lot more AWFLs bossing people around and cashing fat checks.

IDPOL is a Saturn-class ICBM bought and paid for by Capital and aimed directly up Labour's ass and has been for half a century.

https://wtfhappenedin1971.com/

Just because AWFLs strapped a Sybian on that shit and have been riding it like Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove, that doesn't make IDPOL the least bit Liberal or Left.

Dexter

Arcane
The thing that started all this was the endless, endless bitching and crying about it. Complaints I get.
Who started the "endless, endless bitching and crying about it" after the first E3 Demos happened and they didn't like seeing "Male" and "Female" being displayed right there on a screen because Biology is Hate Science? Who got "triggered" by that (and other things like the disgusting huwhyte male on the cover) and had to bitch about it for several years to get it changed? I believe we had an over 20 page thread split about that? Why don't you complain about that and instead only the people you presume "bitching about their bitching"? Could it be that you are actually in favor of one side's "endless bitching and crying", which you ignore while talking out of both sides of your mouth and being for what they're trying to achieve/advocating for similar things and just being disingenuous about it? I kind of only remember you defending and making excuses for it even back then and this sort of selective annoyance kind of makes it seem like it.

You're kind of addressing it here but not exactly committing to it:
It's the journalist pushing words like binary and whatnot, using his liberal arts degree to its fullest.

I think you're in for a rough ride the rest of your life because society has largely voted they don't give a shit, but that's your ride to take.
You go ahead believing in the "unstoppable social progress" no matter how and what you ask for and how far you try to push said society (including brainwashing, chemically castrating and mutilating its children, forcing them to say things they innately know are not true or worse when talking about "retarded social and political stances") if it makes you happy, just remember that things can change rapidly (I believe you briefly discussed such a period a few pages back that ended abruptly) especially if you also hold contradictory beliefs of welcoming and praising cultures fundamentally incompatible with said "progress". I'm sure nothing could happen in your lifetime that could possibly surprise you.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/today-was-c...date-but-we-got-this-ugly-controller-instead/

Today was Cyberpunk 2077's original planned release date, but we got this ugly controller instead
A 'hack' of the Xbox website appears to be teasing something for next week.

Today—April 16, 2020—is the day that Cyberpunk 2077 was meant to make its grand debut. Sadly, that's not going to happen, but something is happening over on the Xbox website, which has been "hacked" in a very cyberpunk-looking way.

The strangeness was preceded by this mysterious tweet:

The word on the street, courtesy of Dudeman127, is that a Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox bundle will be announced next week. I don't know if the box art he shared is accurate, but the silhouette of a console and controller are briefly visible when the cyber-tease video runs on the Xbox site.

More tellingly, a listing for a Cyberpunk 2077-themed Xbox wireless controller appeared on Amazon.ca today. It was quickly taken down, but Pure Xbox managed to capture an image and product description:

"Live the mercenary life with the Xbox Wireless Controller - cyberpunk 2077 Limited Edition, featuring a rugged design based on Johnny Silver hand and tech-enhanced insignia. This Xbox Wireless Controller immerses you in a future where technology is the key to survival. Button mapping allows you to customize your controller just the way you like it. Plug in any compatible headset with the 3.5mm stereo headset jack, And with Bluetooth technology, play your favorite games on Windows 10 PCs, tablets, laptops, and mobile devices."

Xbox bundles aren't really our thing, but Xbox controllers are something else entirely: They work with PCs, and they rate a spot in our list of the best controllers for PC gaming.

My complaint about this one, for a specialty controller, is that it's kind of bland. The Arasaka logo on the left is cool, but the "no future" scratched into the right grip makes me think of Terminator, not Cyberpunk. (And yes, Terminator is "no fate," but that's the kind of thing that's easy to mix up at a glance.) It's just not very distinct in my eyes; it looks old and worn, but not in any way that immediately conjures up images of the game it's supposed to represent. Given the breadth of inspiration available from the Cyberpunk setting, I would've expected more. Something flashy and neon, with maybe a little bit of Keanu on it, or even Lizzy Wizzy, staring up at me from behind the thumbstick.

Arasaka is a major Japanese mega-corp in the Cyberpunk setting, by the way, and will apparently play a role in Cyberpunk 2077.

There is the possibility that April 20 will bring us more Cyberpunk 2077 reveals than just a new Xbox bundle, so we'll be paying close attention to see what shakes out.

Cyberpunk 2077 is now scheduled to come out on September 17. Despite the impact of the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, CD Projekt recently said that release date remains on track.

Semiurge

Cipher
So the consensus is that cyberpunk as a genre has always been gay and cringe and that no one should have ever expected anything from this game, from day 1?
The difference is that Cyberpunk never claimed any of this degeneracy was good.

gNpwx2o.jpg

Prophetic.

DC Comics is also making something where Batman, Catwoman and Joker are in high school with all three of them being in a polyamorous relationship.

This is not me making a funny post, btw. This is a real thing.

Oh and Batman is Chinese now.

Holy shit, is it this very same project that never came to be?

GothamHighclassphoto_final.jpg

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
So the consensus is that cyberpunk as a genre has always been gay and cringe and that no one should have ever expected anything from this game, from day 1?
The difference is that Cyberpunk never claimed any of this degeneracy was good.

gNpwx2o.jpg
Cdprojekt should have plastered their walls with this excerpt

It probably is, only it's written in Polish and half-buried under a collage of furry porn and swinger ads.

And let's face it, who would know more about the future of 'Murica than an office full of blue haired otherkin Polockians.

Harthwain

Magister
I actually don't find that interview that bad. The CDPR guy is basically just saying you pick a male or female body and then do whatever you want to it, which I think is perfect for the setting. It's the journalist pushing words like binary and whatnot, using his liberal arts degree to its fullest.
In isolation, maybe, but they their art director claiming "we need" the pro-LGBT propaganda is the worrying sign.

I liked how Disco Elysium handled ideologies. You could take any stance and shit on everything you wished, regardless of how "appropriate" it was. I mean, this is a game that allowed you to play as a facist, a communist or a gay and somehow the world didn't end. Before Disco Elysium everybody would surely claim that such approach is madness and will bury the game under negative PR or something. But the opposite happened. I think that's because people liked they had the actual freedom of choice, without being told by the game why their choice was obviously right or wrong, and it being ultimately a stepping stone leading to something hilarious didn't hurt.

harhar!

Augur
In isolation, maybe, but they their art director claiming "we need" the pro-LGBT propaganda is the worrying sign.

I liked how Disco Elysium handled ideologies. You could take any stance and shit on everything you wished, regardless of how "appropriate" it was. I mean, this is a game that allowed you to play as a facist, a communist or a gay and somehow the world didn't end. Before Disco Elysium everybody would surely claim that such approach is madness and will bury the game under negative PR or something. But the opposite happened. I think that's because people liked they had the actual freedom of choice, without being told by the game why their choice was obviously right or wrong, and it being ultimately a stepping stone leading to something hilarious didn't hurt.

They don't even let you say faggot or nigger.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I absolutely agree this is ideal, and how every RPG should handle such things. With Cyberpunk it actually makes sense all this stuff would be old hat and casually accepted by everyone honestly, but still it would be neat to be able to play an Adam Jensen style reluctantly modded skeptic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom