Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You can probably use lossless scaling.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Um bros do you know if the difficulty can be changed without restarting the game? Coz I'm 13 hours in I haven't had a single even mildly difficult fight. I even dumped Rosy (the idea of RPCs is great but she's just unreasonably OP) and even then I feel like in the Wiz7 endgame where you just press Fight and then you hold Escape. I ramped it up all the way to Superhero but I can't tell if it's working.

I suspect you have to restart for the diff. settings to take effect but due to my display problems I have to delete the .cfg after every exit so...yeah. I always start the game with the Novice diff. as default. Goddammit.

I've never been so dejected about a game. Grimwah is such a treat but it just doesn't want me to play it. :negative:

Piotrovitz

Savant
Got the same problem - started on veteran diff, got a bumpy beginning (started in crowl and got raped by fireball-throwing bugs few times), but after getting to lvl 3-4 it all got easier.
I have 5 melees and 3 casters, and so far every fight is a cakewalk.

I'm at cetonaph now, and just one shot the lich with deep freeze from my thaumaturge lol.
Other mini-bosses so far were a joke as well.

How does the difficulty curve looks like? Can you change diff mid-game?
What I'm little worried about is that after 2-3 class switches for melees, you can max out lethal blow pretty fast and have crit-fest galore for the rest of the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I tested the difficulty options today, with changing it from Veteran up to Superhero, restarting the game couple of times and playing for 10-15 minutes for every grade. I just don't feel any difference. It's hard to pinpoint since the type and number of mobs you bump into are randomized but overall it feels the same.

The only marginally difficult fight I had was Hobknob, simply because he has like 10 attacks in a row and always goes first. Tried 3 times, he always gibbed my two front-row tanks before I could dispatch him. So I just accepted two deaths and moved on. Apart from that it's been a farce, including Black Lich. Kindda a donwer altho it's very possible the diff. settings in my game are straight up borked, I'm experiencing other small glitches in the Matrix too, like my autohotkey isn't working anymore for some reason.

Btw I've switched back to my native 1080p resolution with scale-to-fit and it's acceptable but goddamn is the game straining to my poor eyes....

Gunnar

Arbiter
My observations of Superhero difficulty were that the number of enemies in the mobs seemed to be higher, and enemies would use their special abilities more frequently.

What I'm little worried about is that after 2-3 class switches for melees, you can max out lethal blow pretty fast and have crit-fest galore for the rest of the game.

Yup. Get speed up so you act first also.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Even now, with poison daggers and low tier broad axes, and LB around 50s, insta kills proc pretty often. This makes 99% of fights redundant.

Can someone confirm that changing diff settings mid game works, or you just have to pick it out before start?

Fuck, i expected this to be as unforgiving as wiz 7. Right now I feel I don't even have to multiclass to breeze through.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Nope, currently I'm at the mines and rape everything with melees and fireballs.
Does it gets much tougher later on?

Are some mobs resistant to insta-kill?

If not, then I assume that high-speed LB maxed out melees can get you through almost everything.
Then again, I'm not that far so I may be wrong.

Back to my previous question - does anybody know if changing difficulty mid-game works?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The thing is, if you know what you're doing, then the difficulty is indeed not that high - though still challenging in many instances.

Wizardry 7 is pretty much the same.

Once you enter the open world, there are many places that only a high level party can handle.

Gunnar

Arbiter
There are some mobs that can be problematic if they get to act before you do, but I don't recall any monsters being immune to lethal blow. The difficulty switching mid-game seemed to work for me.

Piotrovitz

Savant
The thing is, if you know what you're doing, then the difficulty is indeed not that high - though still challenging in many instances.

Wizardry 7 is pretty much the same.
True to much extent, tbh this can be said about pretty much almost every cRPG.

I have a feeling that Wiz 7 is much more unforgiving though - especially that without multiclassing your skill growth is slow as hell, same with learning spells.
In Grimwah my aeorb sage had 100 sorcery around lvl 6-7, same with thaumaturge and alchemy. Weapon skills also seems to be rising fast as fuck through usage as well - my saurian berserker already has 100 in axes.

In a way, it's a good thing - you don't have to roll with ridiculous z/x/c/v/b/n multiclassed munchkins to get through the game without grinding, but I would definitely tone down the skill gains.

Wiz 8 had perfect balance in that matter.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Grimoire is definitely way, way too trivial in the first part. I'm now in Samhain and difficulty-wise it still feels like that starter meadow in Wiz7. In Wiz7 the first non-trivial fight is Ra-Sep-Re-Tep, the boss of the starting dungeon. in Grimoire (at least V2, apparently gaem was p. hard on D1) it's Hobknob, 10+ hours into the game. I just re-read Felipe's review and apparently fights will get progressively harder (or more BS according to him) so we'll see.

Other minor annoyances include the inventory management, that must've been an absolute pain before V2, the bafflingly microscopic text in some places, the OP RPCs, some of the mechanics that seem pointless (all that sharpening and poisoning and enchanting that lasts like 2 fights) and a few other quirks.

Luckily none of this is very serious plus the number of QoL improvements over W7 is higher than the annoyances. Apart from the balance I don't have any other major complaints. The dungeons are excellent, puzzles just right (had to look up only 1 solution so far), writing is easily on Bradley's level, itemization and loot very good and I'm actually starting to be intrigued about the story which, for an old-school blobber, is virtually unheard of.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Grimoire is definitely way, way too trivial in the first part. I'm now in Samhain and difficulty-wise it still feels like that starter meadow in Wiz7. In Wiz7 the first non-trivial fight is Ra-Sep-Re-Tep, the boss of the starting dungeon. in Grimoire (at least V2, apparently gaem was p. hard on D1) it's Hobknob, 10+ hours into the game. I just re-read Felipe's review and apparently fights will get progressively harder (or more BS according to him) so we'll see.

The early difficulty is really not trivial, especially if you start in Crowl or use the early stick weapons instead of unequipping them. I'd say the gang outside Crowl is more akin to the first early challenge or that undead mini-boss in Aquavia - which is actually directly inspired by Ra-Sep-Re-Tep.

some of the mechanics that seem pointless (all that sharpening and poisoning and enchanting that lasts like 2 fights) and a few other quirks.

You can have alternate weapons enchanted or poisoned and store them for a fight when you might need them, eg. a boss fight. Though yeah, overall that stuff is not important.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The early difficulty is really not trivial, especially if you start in Crowl or use the early stick weapons instead of unequipping them. I'd say the gang outside Crowl is more akin to the first early challenge or that undead mini-boss in Aquavia - which is actually directly inspired by Ra-Sep-Re-Tep.

Oh yeah, those Black Hand bandits, I had to leave those for later, you're right.

Also Rosie can make the very early game super trivial but even without her your mages will get mass-blast spells like Shrill Sound, Magic Missiles or Fireball very soon (I wanna say on lvl2? maybe 3) and start raeping on their own.

So in general, IF you don't read the manual beforehand, IF you assemble a bad party, IF you don't use your racial powers and IF you don't recruit Rosie the game can be difficult in the first hour or so.

I don't wanna bitch too much about balance though. So far I'd say Wizardry 7 nailed balance better (in fact it's probably the best balanced RPG I know) but even it collapses into triviality by the time you get to Ukpyr, especially if you know what you're doing. Plus, as I said, I'm still in Samhain, which is what, maybe 20% in, based on the reviews? Still plenty of time for tough fights.

(Btw I'd REALLY loved to hear from Cleve what exactly various difficulty grades do and if they can be changed mid-game/without restarting).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You have to remember that Grimwah doesn't concern itself too much with balance, and in fact eventually the game turns into a massive cheesefest, so you should just kick back and enjoy the ride :M

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
QQ - is metallurgy working now, i.e can you craft weapons and shit?

That's a good question. Never did it myself. The manual says: "The ability to forge powerful weapons and to construct them from components."

So I suppose the forges are where you forge weapons, but from what components?

Dorateen

Arcane
From the Grimoire Manual:

The character with the Forge Craft can add an armor bonus to any qualified armor in proportion to their METALLURGY skill. Each time the enhanced armor is hit in combat and penetrated by the enemy it will lose a point until this enhancement vanishes.

So you use the skill metallurgy in conjunction with the Forge Craft, to increase a bonus on pieces of armor.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Right, I remember doing the AC bonus for armor, but it also wears off quite fast. I guess the crafting from components was his initial idea, which is now the AC bonus.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Meh, so it's nothing to write home about and makes the whole metalsmith class kinda redundant and just make you want to have another saurian berserker instead.

Anyway, I just started again on higher difficulty, and the number of mobs on most of encounters is noticably higher. Changing this previously during the game did not seem to change anything.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Are bard instruments worth it, like in wiz 8?

I dont have pure bard now, and raising music skill on aeorb sage may take forever.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Music instruments and the speed of the music skill increase were nerfed, but there are some good instruments in the game. It's basically a free unlimited spell machine and many of those are crowd-control spells.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Music is strong. You can get free mass paralysis pretty early in the game. Don't start with a bard though. Bard is the only class that can multi into Jester.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Metalsmith can't be class changed into, so it's a good starting class to take if you're trying to maximize your gains from class changing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom