Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Trying out the game, playing as the Empire on mortal empires.

Just wondering. Why does it feel like the AI ignores everyone else but me? Orcs and other hideous creatures seems to making a beeline for me, ignoring fertile land they can pillage and capture. Is the AI programmed to harass the player or something?
I recall the AI is programmed to go after weak positions or lords.

Are you building walls or defensive buildings in your cities?

You can sometimes use this to your advantage with ambush stance. Another tip is to recruit a lord, don’t recruit any troops on it, and park your main lord/army nearby in ambush stance.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Just wondering. Why does it feel like the AI ignores everyone else but me? Orcs and other hideous creatures seems to making a beeline for me, ignoring fertile land they can pillage and capture. Is the AI programmed to harass the player or something?
I recall the AI is programmed to go after weak positions or lords.

Are you building walls or defensive buildings in your cities?

You can sometimes use this to your advantage with ambush stance. Another tip is to recruit a lord, don’t recruit any troops on it, and park your main lord/army nearby in ambush stance.
That would be suicide in WH I. Some assassin would hit him, and you'd lose an army. If that army would be horde, things would be BAD.

Somehow the last defenders got the last plateu in my khemri playthrough. I have no idea how they could've gotten there except by using underway, which the lizards cant-
This is not a screenshot from the game, just to show u where the lost plateau is:
maxresdefault.jpg

It should be turns and turns of walking to get to that location. Dwarves still own the entrance to it. Any idea how it happened? I need to take the plateu to get muh book of nagash, but now I can't unless I want to declare on the entire lizardman alliance of Africa.

A horse of course

Yes, they are programmed that way. There's a mod on the workshop that stops AI from behaving in such a player-centric way and treat you as if you're just another AI faction, but I don't know if it was kept updated.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Dwarves still own the entrance to it. Any idea how it happened?

I remember some bitching due to a bug allowing AI dorfs to field more army than they should. Dunno if related. Province could also be lost to a previous revolt.

I need to take the plateu to get muh book of nagash, but now I can't unless I want to declare on the entire lizardman alliance of Africa.

How is your power rating? You could try and have the province revolt, a slow process unless you're strong enough to also raid their province under their nose without them declaring on you. Also, determine which kind of alliance they have, full or defensive? If the latter, have them declare on you and their allies shouldn't intervene.

One sneaky trick you can do is to ask to join the war of someone they are fighting against them. Its the kind of bullshit that the AI does to you.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Dwarves still own the entrance to it. Any idea how it happened?

Which? The northern or the western? Or both?

Lizardmen usually come through the pass north of Mount Arachnos.

A horse of course

One sneaky trick you can do is to ask to join the war of someone they are fighting against them. Its the kind of bullshit that the AI does to you.

Yeah, it makes all types of Alliances even more worthless than before.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Yeah, it makes all types of Alliances even more worthless than before.

There's a mod that removes call to arms between hostile races, so at least you won't have to deal with High Elves phoning Skavenblight to fuck with you.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
This is several days old already, but the Shadow&Blade trailer apparently had whispers, "the WAAGH is coming....beware the Warden" towards the end of the video. That suggests Eltharion and Grom or some other Greenskin lord for the next DLC. Perhaps we will hear something today.

razvedchiki

Erudite
it should be out already.

in the meantime if you play mostly order factions and want some challenge you should check out the lorefull recruitment mod, basically increases recruitment turns based of quality of unit and if its trained etc mostly for order factions. also non order will benefit from this because they will eventually outnumber order factions like in the lore.
it also has the added beneficial factor that makes your stack more unique/valuable instead of loosing your uber stack and recruiting another next turn in vanilla.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1862829247&searchtext=loreful+recruitment

though if you dont have all the unit faction dlc you may get fucked, playing an empire campaign with the mod the starting seccecionists will outstack you easily if you dont have access to the faction unit dlc which allows you to recruit archers/free company in 1 turn.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Now CA are just fucking with us:

Idol of Mork? Apparently some shadow of a chariot in the horizon.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Yes, they are programmed that way. There's a mod on the workshop that stops AI from behaving in such a player-centric way and treat you as if you're just another AI faction, but I don't know if it was kept updated.

It's always been like this, but since R2TW and the ability for armies to go in the water, it became insane. In Attila playing with a western faction you could have hordes of Huns you never met jumping in the black sea and sailing half the map to arrive directly at your door. They don't care about territory, they don't care about plunder, they just want to make you game over.

:shredder:

What's the name of this mod you're talking about Ed ?

A horse of course

It's always been like this, but since R2TW and the ability for armies to go in the water, it became insane. In Attila playing with a western faction you could have hordes of Huns you never met jumping in the black sea and sailing half the map to arrive directly at your door. They don't care about territory, they don't care about plunder, they just want to make you game over.

:shredder:

What's the name of this mod you're talking about Ed ?

Hun behaviour is very complicated in Attila. On top of the visible factors in their diplomacy screen, like hating Western Rome and targeting the leading faction, it's dictated by a lot of invisible scripts involving player strength, how many settlements they've razed in total, where your settlements are located in Europe and so on. As a general rule of thumb, they will try to target all of Eastern, Central, and Western Europe with their main forces, but will only send a handful of stacks to attack Hispania or Southern Thrace. Warriors of Chaos in Warhammer 1 had a much more straightforward script that mostly just beelined for the player, though this has been modified numerous times, particularly in later Mortal Empires patches for W2.

I don't remember the name of the mod. There's a well-known "No Cheats for AI" which was abandoned and then taken over by another modder - I don't think this specifically targets AI behaviour though, only the difficulty modifiers.

A horse of course

he cute

The Warden & the Paunch is the latest Legendary Lords Pack for Total War: WARHAMMER II, and introduces two rival Legendary Lords from the world of Warhammer Fantasy Battles, each with their own factions, objectives, mechanics, units and playstyle, for use in both the Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires campaigns as well as custom and multiplayer battles.

Eltharion the Grim commands Yvresse while Grom the Paunch leads the Broken Axe Tribe. Neither Yvresse nor the Broken Axe Tribe are involved in the Vortex race, but are instead pitted against one another as eternal nemeses on a collision course to a final climactic encounter where only one can emerge the victor.

The Warden & The Paunch includes:

• Two unique Legendary Lords leading their own factions:
    • Eltharion the Grim leads Yvresse for the High Elves
    • Grom the Paunch commands the Broken Axe Tribe of the Greenskins
  • Powerful new units and Heroes for both the High Elves and the Greenskins, including:
    • War Lions of Chrace, the Silverin Guard, and the majestic Arcane Phoenix for the High Elves
    • Multiple different flavours of Snotling Pump Wagons and Trolls for the Greenskins
  • New elite Regiments of Renown with which to crush your enemies

For full details on everything you’ll get in The Warden & The Paunch, including the full unit rosters for both Legendary Lords, head over to the Steam page to read more as well as get 10% off the launch price if you pre-order.

FAQ

When will The Warden & The Paunch be released?

The Warden & The Paunch will be released on the 21st of May 2020.

Is there a pre-purchase discount?

You’ll get a 10% discount if you pre-purchase The Warden & The Paunch via Steam before its release.

Will the new Legendary Lords be available in both the Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires Campaign?

Yes, The Warden & The Paunch will be available to play in both the Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires Campaign, and can also be used in campaign, custom, and battle modes.

What new units and mechanics will be in The Warden & The Paunch?

For a full list of features and mechanics in the DLC, please visit the Steam page or check our social media channels for all the latest updates.

Will there be an Old World update released with The Warden & The Paunch?

The Greenskins will be getting a number of updated features, most notably a rework of the Waaagh! This will be changed to an innate race trait instead of a character ability.

In battle, Greenskin units engaged in combat will generate Waaagh points to fill up a bar. When this bar is full, the player can trigger a Waaagh!
Once the Waaagh! ability is used, you should switch to an all-out attack and use that momentum to win. The Waaagh! can be used multiple times but each additional Waaagh! requires more Waaagh! points to unlock it

In campaign, the Waaagh! is a faction pooled resource which must be built to maximum to enable Waaagh! invasion. To start a Waaagh!, select a target region and dedicate it to either Gork or Mork. A transported Waaagh! army will then support each of the available armies to occupy or raze the target. After a set duration, Waaagh! will end and your points will drop to zero. Based on success of the Waaagh!, rewards get dished out (including a Waaagh! boost). You can build up Waaagh! points again to trigger your next Waaagh!

There’s also a new Scrap feature for the Greenskins to represent their ability to scavenge items from battles or settlements and use these to unlock special technology nodes and upgrade units.

Each recruited Greenskin unit may access a new panel where they can benefit from one of several upgrade options.

• Upgrading a unit will cost a certain amount of Scrap
  • Each unit in your army will be able to choose and keep an upgrade individually
  • Each unit will have several different upgrade options
  • Pushing the units existing strength or adding new functionality

Other Greenskin updates will include:

• New character skills
  • Unit improvements
  • Badlands map update
  • New start position for Azhag

What’s the free content that will be released alongside the DLC?

The Warden & The Paunch will be accompanied by the Free-LC release of a Legendary Lord for the High Elves, the Lord of Dragons himself, Imrik – more information will be released soon.

Additionally, there’ll be a free mount to download via Total War Access – keep an eye the Total War Access newsletter for more information on that!

When will the free content be available?

On the release day of The Warden & The Paunch – the 21st of May 2020.

Will The Warden & The Paunch be released on macOS and Linux?

This will be coming shortly after the release of The Warden & The Paunch – stay tuned!

Steam description:

The Warden & the Paunch is the latest Lords Pack for Total War: WARHAMMER II. Introducing two rival Legendary Lords from the world of Warhammer Fantasy Battles, each with their own factions, objectives, mechanics, units and playstyle, for use in both the Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires campaigns, and custom/multiplayer battles.

Eltharion the Grim commands Yvresse (High Elves) while Grom the Paunch leads the Broken Axe Tribe (Greenskins). Neither Yvresse nor the Broken Axe tribe are involved in the Vortex race, but are pitted against one another as eternal nemeses, on a collision course to a final climactic encounter where only one can emerge the victor.

Waargh.gif

Long has Eltharion the Warden of Tor Yvresse stood sentinel, ever-watchful for signs of Greenskin incursion. While he campaigned overseas against the Druchii of Naggarond in ages past, Tor Yvresse nearly fell as the green tsunami of Grom the Paunch’s legendary Waaagh! roared through Ulthuan. After defeating Grom and scattering his hordes, Eltharion swore that no Orc or Goblin filth would ever set foot in his lands again.

But Grom has other designs. His cavernous belly aches for a rematch, and his hunger for vengeance is matched only by his titanic appetite. As his gobbos tend to the bubbling cauldron, delighting him with each tasty new morsel, his plans begin to set. He’ll gather them all, the bosses and the boys, wind them up to a fever pitch, and lead them on a Waaagh! the likes of which the world has never seen. This time, Tor Yvresse will fall, and its snooty Warden will kneel before the mighty Paunch!

WardenVsPaunch.gif

High Elves - Eltharion the Grim (Yvresse)

Unique faction mechanics:

Athel Tamarha

In a secluded Yvresse mountainside lies Athel Tamarha, Eltharion’s base of operations. It lies in ruins, untouched since Grom’s previous Waaagh!, but Eltharion seeks to rebuild it in Tor Yvresse’s defence.
In Eltharion's campaign, Athel Tamarha is represented by a new panel where the player rebuilds structures to gain numerous unique benefits. In addition, Eltharion can use his unique Warden’s Cage ability against enemy Heroes and Lords in battle. Should they fall while under its influence, they will be imprisoned in Athel Tamarha for interrogation…

Athel Tamarha has a number of structures across two unique chains which can be rebuilt. Each enhances Tor Yvresse’s defence rating and grants the following:

• The Silent Sentinels chain can increase Tor Yvresse’s defence rating and enable the recruitment and upgrading of elite Mistwalker units, plus increasing recruitment capacities for several unique elite unit types available to Eltharion.
  • The Watchers of Yvresse chain enable the interrogation of captured Heroes and Lords, improvements to the Mist of Yvresse, and bonuses to Eltharion’s Influence.
  • Through the questioning, vanquishing and indoctrination of captives, Eltharion can gain useful information and other benefits.

Mist of Yvresse
Tor Yvresse will become progressively shrouded by an enchanted mist, enhancing all of Eltharion's troops and disrupting enemies caught within it. 

• Provides the unique Army Ability ‘Envelop in Mist’ which enhances your troops’ performance when fighting within its influence
  • Athel Tamarha upgrades grant additional effects as the Mist become stronger.
  • Increasing the strength of the Mist of Yvresse will eventually cause it to cover all of Ulthuan as a protective aid.

Defence of Yvresse
Eltharion will gradually build up defensive power at Tor Yvresse, as Eltharion's homeland becomes increasingly fortified against invasion.

• At the campaign outset, the city of Tor Yvresse will begin in a damaged state until upgrades are completed, progressing the city into rebuilt then fortified states. This is reflected in any battles fought over Tor Yvresse, affording increasingly stronger defensive abilities and options for Eltharion. 
  • The Yvresse defence level also expands the Mist of Yvresse to cover further regions of Ulthuan, enhancing Eltharion’s forces and weakening interlopers.   

Rite: Invocation of Ladrielle
For Eltharion, the Invocation of Isha is replaced by the Invocation of Ladrielle, which empowers the Mists of Yvresse.
New Units and Characters:

Eltharion (Legendary Lord)
Eltharion the Grim is the unflinching warden of Tor Yvresse. Atop his mighty Griffon, Stormwing, he swoops into battle with peerless conviction.

Eltharion wields a spear and a sword, as well as being a caster of High Magic. This offers him the flexibility to alter his role in battle based on the circumstances at hand. His defence-focused abilities also make him excellent at holding firm battle lines.

Archmage (Lord)
The High Elven Archmages are amongst the greatest practitioners of Magic within the mortal realms. With the introduction of the Archmage, High Elf players now have access to all 8 core Winds of Magic and the Lore of High Magic to choose from, ideal for those who prefer a more magic-focused playstyle.

Rangers
High Elf Rangers are inhabitants of Ulthuan's more remote areas and are called upon in times of need.

Silverin Guard
Heavy Spear unit for High Elves. The Silverin Guard are tasked with defending the Watchstone of Tor Yvresse - a waystone of fabulous power.

War Lions of Chrace
These fearsome beasts are deadly hunting cats with a muscular frame and a sharp, cunning mind. Almost as tall at the shoulders as an Elven Steed, a War Lion is far stronger, able to break bones with each sweep of its claws and shatter even helmeted heads with a single chomp of its fanged maw.

Lion Chariot of Chrace
Many of the Phoenix King's bodyguard ride to battle in Lion Chariots. Each of these white-timbered constructions is drawn by a pair of snarling War Lions whose savage power is belied by their feline grace and elegantly plaited manes.

Arcane Phoenix
The Arcane Phoenix is a majestic and fearsome creature with a wingspan as great as any of the mighty War Eagles of the High Elves. Cloaked in blazing feathers that can turn the sharpest arrow, it is the living embodiment of the destructive and purging Wind of Aqshy.

Campaign Exclusive Units: Eltharion's Mistwalkers

The Skyhawks
Swift and energetic, the Skyhawks never weary of battle, always standing ready to fight to the death if necessary.

Sentinels of Astaril
Former training partners to the Warden himself in his youth, the Sentinels are amongst his most trusted servicemen.

Spire Guard of Tor Yvresse
The honour guards of the Warden’s tower are Tor Yvresse’s foremost defenders, and the anchor around which its armies gather.

Athel Tamarha Faithbearers
Once of the household of Eltharion’s late father, the Faithbearers’ guilt over their master’s death drives them to fight to reclaim their valour.

Knights of Tor Gaval
Thanks to the challenges of training in their murky homeland, the Knights of Tor Gaval are rightly said to be amongst the most talented of wingmen in all Ulthuan.

New Regiments of Renown
Talons of Tor Caleda (Archers Light Armour)
The Talons of Tor Caleda are an elite unit for Archers who serve the Prince of Caledor.

Rahagra's Pride (War Lions of Chrace)
Rahagra's Pride inherit their name from the fabled father of white lions.

Omen of Asuryan (Arcane Phoenix)
Arcane Phoenixes are the companions of Asuryan the Creator, harbingers of woe and bearers of hope in equal measure. They are drawn from Asuryan's side when the Winds of Magic howl through the world of mortals in mighty storms, and in distant mist-shrouded Ulthuan the High Elves are forewarned of the coming of these magical tempests by the sudden manifestation of Arcane Phoenixes in the skies above their island home. They are a mixed omen; a symbol of destruction soon to come as well as the hope of rebirth.

Immortan_Grom.gif

Greenskins - Grom the Paunch (Broken Axe)

Unique mechanics and features:

Grom's Cauldron

Grom has an insatiable appetite, as his girth attests to. In a Grom campaign, you’ll find a variety of ingredients around the world with which to cook up a range of recipes. By combining different ingredients in Grom's Cauldron, Grom and his boyz will be able to feast and gain special powers.

• Unlock a wide range of different ingredients from campaign exploration, and by meeting the Troll Hag Food Merchant.
  • Combine ingredients to form dishes, each of which provides unique buffs to Grom and his army
  • Some dishes can add special units to Grom's army
  • Cooking up and sampling a certain number of dishes will permanently enhance Grom himself.

Blacktoof

During Grom’s legendary Waaagh!, his most trusted Shaman, Ol’ Blacktoof, nearly brought destruction to Ulthuan and beyond by felling the Elven Waystones and drawing their power into himself. Fate intervened in the form of Eltharion, who separated Blacktoof’s head neatly from his shoulders. But the shaman’s surging power helped him to cheat true death, and his disembodied head serves his master still.

• While Niblet is Grom’s chief advisor, Blacktoof will from time to time utter guidance to Grom, delivering tasks and moulding the journey to his inevitable and decisive showdown with Eltharion.
  • Blacktoof’s head will also take on the role of a special item in Grom's campaign. He may be assigned to a Shaman, granting the ability to summon a Rogue Idol in battle.
New Units and Characters:

Grom the Paunch (Legendary Lord)
Grom is the self-styled king of the goblins. He wields the mighty Axe of Grom, and rides into battle atop the sturdy Chariot of Grom, with his trusty Night Goblin Assistant and standard bearer, Niblet.

The presence of Grom near friendly troops inspires them with a leadership buff. If Grom makes his way into the fighting, that buff increases.

Grom is ALWAYS mounted atop the Chariot of Grom.

Giant River Hag Troll (Hero)
Giant River Troll Hags are hateful and bitter creatures, far larger and more dangerous than their common kin. These Lore of Death casters are invested with an innate ability to shape the Winds of Magic as they stir the brackish waters in which they dwell.

Snotling Pump Wagons
The Snotling Pump Wagon is a wooden fighting platform on wheels. Like a chariot, a Pump Wagon hurtles towards the foe to run them over. However, the Pump Wagon rumbles under its own power, with momentum provided by Snotlings, who frantically pump crude contraptions and cranks to drive the belts that turn the wheels.

Snotling Pump Wagons (Flappas)
Flappas are crude wings, attached to the side of the Pump Wagon, and flapped up and down by the actions of the crew. This allows the Pump Wagon to make short jumps as it bounces along.

Snotling Pump Wagons (Spiky Rollers)
These Pump Wagons are fitted with a roller studded with sharp spikes.

River Trolls
A River Troll somewhat resembles a riverbed: coated in sediment, slime, rotting vegetation, fish carcasses, and various other stinky detritus whose precise nature and origin are too horrible to contemplate. In all probability the River Troll’s stink is even worse than that of the riverbed, since one can add the Troll’s personal miasma to the ill-omened mélange of odours emitted from the mucky smears on its skin.

Stone Trolls
Stone Trolls are a distinct breed of Troll which live exclusively in caves and the mountainous regions of the world. Since they live on rocky mountains, they tend to consume large quantities of stone, the natural magical inertia of which imbues them with a certain degree of magical resistance.

Rogue Idol
Rogue Idols are mighty magical constructs with the ability to crush armoured knights, batter city walls and just about anything else that gets in their way with their brutal fists.

New Regiments of Renown
Logey Bogey's Spore 'Sploda's (Snotling Pump Wagon)
The most unhinged Snotlings attach really big explodin' spores to the front of their Wagons, which burst when the Pump Wagon hits anything.

Da Swamp Fings (River Trolls)
Da Swamp 'Fings are a horrifying band of River Trolls which cause Terror and have Poison Attacks.

Da Big 'Un (Rogue Idol)
Da Big 'Un is the biggest, baddest, meanest, most cunning Rogue Idol ever conjured.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Here we go

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom