Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 is not nearly as bad as you hystronic nerds make it out to be

Duralux for Durabux

(the 50's culture, the world, the humour etc.). I played Fallout 3 first and to have all that thrown at me from the off was brilliant, and one of the main reasons I enjoyed it so much.
the 50's culture, the world, the humour etc.)

that thrown at me from the off was brilliant

The humour

Brilliant

Fallout 3

whatamireading.png

flamesaw.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

Anyone of your fucks who touched FO3 and FO4 is a closeted popamole degenerate. Disgusting behavior, really. I can't tell if one is worse than the other because I never touched them and I will never will.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My thoughts are that Fallout as a game, whichever one you play, has certain unique qualities which are very appealing and draw you in (the 50's culture, the world, the humour etc.). I played Fallout 3 first and to have all that thrown at me from the off was brilliant, and one of the main reasons I enjoyed it so much.

Most people here kvetching about it put 100 hours into it, so don't feel too defensive. Bethesda's games have a weird draw despite all their shitty aspects, which is something a bunch of us have discussed here before. The fact New Vegas is so respected shows that in the end it was mostly Bethesda's writing, quest design and world building that sucked, as the core gameplay is mostly pretty similar. It's a shame because those are all areas where Morrowind excelled so much, and even despite improvements Bethesda has never gotten close to that again.

Duralux for Durabux

Anyone of your fucks who touched FO3 and FO4 is a closeted popamole degenerate. Disgusting behavior, really. I can't tell if one is worse than the other because I never touched them and I will never will.
Of course it's like cake you have to taste it first before acknowledging that it's shit.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Most people here kvetching about it put 100 hours into it, so don't feel too defensive. Bethesda's games have a weird draw despite all their shitty aspects, which is something a bunch of us have discussed here before. The fact New Vegas is so respected shows that in the end it was mostly Bethesda's writing, quest design and world building that sucked, as the core gameplay is mostly pretty similar. It's a shame because those are all areas where Morrowind excelled so much, and even despite improvements Bethesda has never gotten close to that again.

I think New Vegas shows that Codexers don't give a damn about good gameplay as long as the writing is good. While I respect that opinion, I simply can't play a game where the moment to moment gameplay is a drag. Even mods can't solve New Vegas' biggest issue: the open world aspect of it is just boring. You can make the combat suck much less, you can add more enemies to fight (Mojave Raiders, Mojave Wildlife), but the map is designed in such a way that it's just predictable: long highways taking you from point A to point B. If you stray too far away from the roads, you will usually find a cave containing maybe a couple of skeletons, nothing more.

The beauty of classic Fallout is that random encounters add the true unpredictability of a real desert, post-apocalytpic setting, without the drag of walking for minutes with nothing happening at all.

Last edited:

Duralux for Durabux

I think New Vegas shows that Codexers don't give a damn about good gameplay as long as the writing is good. While I respect that opinion, I simply can't play a game where the moment to moment gameplay is a drag. Even mods can't solve New Vegas' biggest issue: the open world aspect of it is just boring. You can make the combat suck much less, you can add more enemies to fight (Mojave Raiders, Mojave Wildlife), If you stray too far away from the roads, you will usually find a cave containing maybe a couple of skeletons, nothing more.

The beauty of classic Fallout is that random encounters add the true unpredictability of a real desert, post-apocalytpic setting, without the drag of walking for minutes with nothing happening at all.
This mistake in world design is present in every other open world games , this flaw is not only correct for New Vegas but for all other games with a big and empty Open World (The witcher 3 , Just Cause , every games made by bethesda, to name a few ). Few games have arrived to overcome this flaw (Fallout 1,Arcanum, Gothic 1-2 ...).

but the map is designed in such a way that it's just predictable: long highways taking you from point A to point B.
Like in real life, so what is your point? that it 's a bad design decision to make the world designed like our surroundings ?
A road is supposed to take you to point A to point B. This is the most retarded complain i have ever read.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think New Vegas shows that Codexers don't give a damn about good gameplay as long as the writing is good. While I respect that opinion, I simply can't play a game where the moment to moment gameplay is a drag. Even mods can't solve New Vegas' biggest issue: the open world aspect of it is just boring. You can make the combat suck much less, you can add more enemies to fight (Mojave Raiders, Mojave Wildlife), but the map is designed in such a way that it's just predictable: long highways taking you from point A to point B. If you stray too far away from the roads, you will usually find a cave containing maybe a couple of skeletons, nothing more.

If you don't like the hiking simulator aspect of Bethesda style games then no, nothing will save them for you. Tons of people love that though, and doing that aspect well is a big reason they're so successful financially.

Drowed

Arcane
The fact New Vegas is so respected shows that in the end it was mostly Bethesda's writing, quest design and world building that sucked, as the core gameplay is mostly pretty similar.

You are making the (strange) confusion between the fact that F:NV is well regarded even though it has horrendous gameplay, and not because of it. Actually the opposite is true, for many not even F:NV's writing, quest design and world building can elevate it beyond the garbage that all the rest of the game is. The core gameplay is literally the problem of the game, but for storyfags, they can ignore it as long as the rest is acceptable.

I replayed about 20 hours of FO3 this year after watching Many a True Nerd's video in defense of it. I don't think much of the criticism he levels at FNV is valid at all, but much of the praise he has for FO3 is spot on. Used to consider FO3 the runt of the Fallout franchise, but i think i see it in a more favorable light now. It certainly does a lot right. The dungeon crawling is much better, and even though the game lacks skill checks in dialogue, it still has a fair degree C&C and freedom in the quests. Sometimes it kinda blows my mind just how much freedom you can have in some of the quests. 8/10. Will finish the playthrough when i have time.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You are making the (strange) confusion between the fact that F:NV is well regarded even though it has horrendous gameplay, and not because of it. Actually the opposite is true, for many not even F:NV's writing, quest design and world building can elevate it beyond the garbage that all the rest of the game is. The core gameplay is literally the problem of the game, but for storyfags, they can ignore it as long as the rest is acceptable.

You're saying kinda the same thing I'm saying but framing it as disagreement. Yes, they have the same core gameplay loop, and it's the quest design, writing and story that makes them different. How shitty that core gameplay is can be debated, but my point was if Bethesda were better with those design aspects the same people who love New Vegas would love FO3.

I don't think it's as easy as calling them "storyfags" either. Witcher 3 is a storyfag game and I got bored of it very quickly, because the gameplay loop was meh. New Vegas's faction play, along with aspects like stealthing into the Brotherhood base to blow it up for Mr. House, go beyond mere story and dip into roleplaying quite heavily. Fallout 4 had a tiny bit of that, which is why I enjoyed it more than 3 (along with better combat). If you're purely driven by mechanics and think roleplaying is all about THACO and building a crit-focused character though, you might dismiss that. It's almost like everything is subjective as hell.

Sykar

Arcane

Fallout New Vegas has objectively better character building thanks to traits and the inability to maximize 80% of your attributes and skills. That alone already makes it a superior RPG to Failderp 3. Then there is the fact that it is in fact a shooter where your aiming skills matter, unlike in Derpout 3 where you shoot on auto pilot and iron sights are nothing but decoration. New Vegas tries to be an immersive world emulating things like crop farming even despite the somewhat silly setting. Durrout 3 is a shitty nonsensical theme park where a dozen disjointed unrelated themes are thrown together for the lulz. The story of Failturd 3 is mind boggling stupid to anyone with the attention span above that of a toddler. Vault dweller with daddy issues running after his dad. Who wants to purify the water to "save the people". When the people have been living for 200 years without a problem. Where your house robot can make clean water without the need for anything. To top it all off he does it at a site where the clean water would mainly "benefit" raiders and super mutants. Fucking colossal grade A retard writing for colossal grade A retards to "enjoy". Remember "Have you seen my dad? A middle aged guy?" yeah that is the level of characterization those hacks of Bethcrap have been producing the past 15 years.
So by any objective measure New Vegas shits on Failturd 3. Character creation, which by the way only took a few minutes, character progression, gun play, which was not great either in NV, world building, story, characterization, all vital components to a first person shooting RPG and Bethshit could not get a passing grade for even one component. NV at least got some right and is fixable with mods. FO 3 even with mods is nothing but a giant disjointed nonsensical mess with crap game play, crap story, crap characterization and crap character progression.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
There are places in FONV that are actually dangerous in terms of radiation. In FO3 once you have good anti-radiation equipment there is literally nothing to fear, but it's not like that in FONV.

JDR13

Arcane
Vanilla FO3 is pretty much complete shit, and I'm not sure how anyone who's been a serious gamer for any length of time could defend it.

It's possible to mod it to the point of being an ok experience, but there's no way I could stomach it unmodded.

JDR13

Arcane
As in not part of the lowest common denominator. I can see how the casual mainstream crowd would like FO3. It caters right to them.

ZeniBot

Cipher
RPGCodex has become flooded with apologist cucks. Did everyone forget that Bethesda's end goal for our industry is pure decline. We all know where this is gonna end, it involves subscriptions, it involves paid mods, it involves mandatory installs and it involves buying what ever is left of 90s roleplaying game IPs

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
RPGCodex has become flooded with apologist cucks. Did everyone forget that Bethesda's end goal for our industry is pure decline. We all know where this is gonna end, it involves subscriptions, it involves paid mods, it involves mandatory installs and it involves buying what ever is left of 90s roleplaying game IPs

There's lots of reasons to hate Bethesda, but this one always strikes me as weird. If there's anyone to go after on that it's Activision, with EA and Ubisoft right behind. Bethesda actually puts out quite a lot of singleplayer AAA games without all the fuckery, from Dishonored to Doom to Wolfenstein to Prey to Evil Within, etc. etc. Fallout 76 is their big black mark, but it's no worse than shit like Diablo 3 or Ghost Recon Breakpoint. It just hits harder because it's Fallout I guess.

ZeniBot

Cipher
"The lesser of the evils" is how EA and Activision were born idiot. Remember when everyone was saying Atari were Evil and that EA and Acti were going to save us all? yeah I remember that.
Your "liberators" are always your future oppressors. You keep making bullshit exemptions and its gonna end badly for you. For me I'm sick of idiots like you making precedents that force me out of wanting to support this lost cause of an industry now.
It wasn't always like this, but Bethesda cannot be trusted. After the bullshit they pulled with Oblivion they proved how ruthless and horrible they are as a company, every step beyond that point was further destroying any hope of them being a good studio again. Todd can be blamed for most of that.

Also its funny how you shit on Activision and yet I saw everyone on this worthless site gushing over Diablo 4. You are all pathetic. Your bullshit double standards have been killing this industry for decades.

Further more the list of games you mentioned could have been good without Bethesda's involvement (conquest). ID were still able to make good games before the buyout, Arkane was still good before the buyout. This is the same shit that happened to Origin and you know it! Its only a matter of time before they start producing absolute shit and not just barely passable shit.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
"The lesser of the evils" is how EA and Activision were born idiot. Remember when everyone was saying Atari were Evil and that EA and Acti were going to save us all? yeah I remember that.
Your "liberators" are always your future oppressors. You keep making bullshit exemptions and its gonna end badly for you. For me I'm sick of idiots like you making precedents that force me out of wanting to support this lost cause of an industry now.
It wasn't always like this, but Bethesda cannot be trusted. After the bullshit they pulled with Oblivion they proved how ruthless and horrible they are as a company, every step beyond that point was further destroying any hope of them being a good studio again. Todd can be blamed for most of that.

Also its funny how you shit on Activision and yet I saw everyone on this worthless site gushing over Diablo 4. You are all pathetic. Your bullshit double standards have been killing this industry for decades.

Further more the list of games you mentioned could have been good without Bethesda's involvement (conquest). ID were still able to make good games before the buyout, Arkane was still good before the buyout. This is the same shit that happened to Origin and you know it! Its only a matter of time before they start producing absolute shit and not just barely passable shit.

You are 100 percent correct sir.

:excellent:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I didn't call anyone a savior dude, and don't feel like I need one. I don't hate all modern games like you try-hards. I also said there's lots of reasons to hate Bethesda, like what they supposedly did to Arkane and others behind the scenes. However when I think always online, games as a service, microtransactions and subscriptions, etc... Bethesda are far from the first publisher that comes to mind. Ubisoft sells god items and level skips for singleplayer games for fuck's sake, and recently made half their franchises online only. Activision haven't released an offline singleplayer focused game in god knows how long. Meanwhile Bethesda publishes some of the better games this decade, like Dishonored 2 and Prey, with no microtransaction bullshit. Fallout 76 is horrible and might show a change in direction, but Bethesda are faaaar from the worst example of that stuff as of now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom